[Today at 10:36:41 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 10:23:37 AM]

Shaka 2024-2025 by wadesworld
[Today at 09:00:02 AM]

Academic All Americans by Goose
[Today at 08:52:43 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Who is your favorite guitarist of all time?

Jimi Hendrix
4 (7.4%)
Jimmy Page
4 (7.4%)
Eddie Van Halen
4 (7.4%)
Prince
3 (5.6%)
Eric Clapton
6 (11.1%)
John Mayer
2 (3.7%)
Brian May
0 (0%)
BB King
2 (3.7%)
David Gilmour
3 (5.6%)
Someone else
26 (48.1%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Author Topic: Favorite Guitarist of all time  (Read 19365 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Favorite Guitarist of all time
« on: January 14, 2021, 01:19:09 PM »
Apologies to the offended in advance

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
Re: Favorite Guitarist of all time
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 01:22:31 PM »
Tom Morello is VERY offended by this slight.

Peoples exhibit A:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm7ych5qH14&list=RDqm7ych5qH14&start_radio=1

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 01:22:56 PM »
I was thinking about this earlier today in response to the earlier thread.

For me, it's Jimmy Page, but Hendrix and Prince aren't far behind....

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 01:23:26 PM »

Peoples exhibit A:

Hah was literally posting that as you were
Maigh Eo for Sam

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 01:29:27 PM »
No one will agree but IMO Zappa was the greatest. Hendrix loses major cred for not knowing how to survive.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 01:30:29 PM »
Nils Lofgren. He can't do his backflips on stage anymore (double hip replacement) but he still shreds it fierce.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPn-U0hJ7vU
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 01:30:36 PM »

Peoples exhibit A:

Look man, RATM is one of my favorites, and Tom is an innovator and a genius.  But he isn't a top 10 guy, and he'd be the first one to tell you.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 01:30:55 PM »

Peoples exhibit A:

I mean that's fine.  Rolling Stone ranked him 40th on the list of all time great guitarists so that performance is pretty accurate I guess.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 01:31:20 PM »
Jimmy Page is my favorite, but I think Jimi Henrdix is probably the best. David Gilmour's style was perfect for Floyd. 

Not having Robert Johnson there is a travesty.  He is without a doubt, the most influential guitar player ever.  And his chops are right up there.  Especially since he was playing an acoustic guitar. 

The blues are horribly underrepresented.  SRV and Joe Bonamassa are greats!  I am offended!

« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 01:33:51 PM by buckchuckler »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2021, 01:32:15 PM »
Page is my favorite.

But Hendrix burned brighter and Clapton was better. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2021, 01:36:27 PM »
Rock guitarists in the "other" category:  Robin Trower/Carlos Santana/Stevie Ray Vaughan/Jeff Beck

Classic Guitarist:  Manuel Barrueco

Jazz:  Pat Metheny
Ludum habemus.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2021, 01:36:50 PM »
Hendrix did so much first.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2021, 01:39:55 PM »
Rock guitarists in the "other" category:  Robin Trower/Carlos Santana/Stevie Ray Vaughan/Jeff Beck

Classic Guitarist:  Manuel Barrueco

Jazz:  Pat Metheny

I'll throw out Andres Segovia as another amazing classical guitarist. 

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2021, 01:42:32 PM »
Hah was literally posting that as you were
If you don't listen to his weekly show on XM you should give it a shot. Very interesting insight in general but specifically into hiphop/rap and metal. He pushes the same handful of his recent stuff too much but the other 53 minutes are always enjoyable.

From the list I'd go Hendrix, pioneered so much.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2021, 01:44:08 PM »
On this list, I'm probably most partial to Gilmour but recognize that the true bests are Hendrix and Clapton.

I think some big omissions from this list are Carlos Santana and Chuck Barry
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2021, 01:45:22 PM »
Garcia.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2021, 01:45:33 PM »
Look man, RATM is one of my favorites, and Tom is an innovator and a genius.  But he isn't a top 10 guy, and he'd be the first one to tell you.

Spot on. Also kind of hilarious to use Testify as an example cause that’s one of their most simplistic and unimpressive tracks, at least from a pure musical standpoint.  Morello is a master of getting funky sounds out of the instrument and using effects, but his chops are nowhere near the greats.  Honestly I think he was far more creative and impressive in Audioslave

Jack White is another one of my favorites, but I think he’s similar. His most impressive feat is what he did in The White Stripes. The fullness of sound that he got on their tracks, both studio and live, with the most pedestrian and basic of backing drums, was unreal. I used to say he was very underrated, but he’s gotten his flowers as the years have went on. Dude can cut up blues with the best of them when he wants.

Fun John Mayer story. I saw him at the Marcus Ampitheater in, I believe, 2002. Height of his Room for Squares fame. In between his pop singles, he went on these BLISTERING solos and jams. Some extensions of the songs guitar riffs, some just straight up blues noodling. It was incredible. The girls we were with, along with plenty around us, we’re all impatient and annoyed. Like “come ONNN, play No Such Thing”.   I turned to my buddy and was like “dude, he’s gonna put out another album of successful pop and then just play whatever he wants. Dude wants to be SRV”.  And here we are.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2021, 01:45:55 PM »
Prince

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2021, 01:47:33 PM »
On this list, I'm probably most partial to Gilmour but recognize that the true bests are Hendrix and Clapton.

I think some big omissions from this list are Carlos Santana and Chuck Barry

Also Chuck Berry. 

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2021, 01:49:22 PM »
Albert King, Duane Allman and Stevie Ray have to be on a top ten list (upper half)
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2021, 01:51:26 PM »
Spot on. Also kind of hilarious to use Testify as an example cause that’s one of their most simplistic and unimpressive tracks, at least from a pure musical standpoint.  Morello is a master of getting funky sounds out of the instrument and using effects, but his chops are nowhere near the greats.  Honestly I think he was far more creative and impressive in Audioslave

Jack White is another one of my favorites, but I think he’s similar. His most impressive feat is what he did in The White Stripes. The fullness of sound that he got on their tracks, both studio and live, with the most pedestrian and basic of backing drums, was unreal. I used to say he was very underrated, but he’s gotten his flowers as the years have went on. Dude can cut up blues with the best of them when he wants.

Fun John Mayer story. I saw him at the Marcus Ampitheater in, I believe, 2002. Height of his Room for Squares fame. In between his pop singles, he went on these BLISTERING solos and jams. Some extensions of the songs guitar riffs, some just straight up blues noodling. It was incredible. The girls we were with, along with plenty around us, we’re all impatient and annoyed. Like “come ONNN, play No Such Thing”.   I turned to my buddy and was like “dude, he’s gonna put out another album of successful pop and then just play whatever he wants. Dude wants to be SRV”.  And here we are.

I put Mayer on this list because he is wildly underrated as a guitar player.  He can probably play anything any of these guys have written, and is highly respected, can improvise, and is a professor of all things music... especially guitar.

Too bad he is known for that bubble gum pop crap... but I don't blame him for cashing those checks to do what he loves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzfrXiD1_Rg
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 01:54:38 PM by Hards_Alumni »

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2021, 01:52:37 PM »
I put Mayer on this list because he is wildly underrated as a guitar player.  He can probably play anything any of these guys have written, and is highly respected, can improvise, and is a professor of all things music... especially guitar.

Too bad he is known for that bubble gum pop crap... but I don't blame him for cashing those checks to do what he loves.

He really is great, but he squanders his talent with what he plays, so, he may as well not have that talent since he isn't using it.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2021, 01:53:56 PM »
Albert King, Duane Allman and Stevie Ray have to be on a top ten list (upper half)

There is an Albert King/ SRV album that is absolutely fantastic. 

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2021, 01:54:58 PM »

I think there are 2 conversations here. One is technical ability as a guitarist. Second is the entire musical package that they bring with their playing.

Morello and Edge are 2 of my favorite guitarists ever. But if the discussion is just technical ability, I wouldn't rank either in the top 100. When you add style, innovation and adherence to the mood and music of a song, they are off the charts. A guy like Jimi - who is my #1 - combines both aspects.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2021, 01:55:36 PM »
He really is great, but he squanders his talent with what he plays, so, he may as well not have that talent since he isn't using it.

I'm guessing you don't listen to his music at all.  You just know the pop stuff.