[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Who is your favorite guitarist of all time?

Jimi Hendrix
4 (7.4%)
Jimmy Page
4 (7.4%)
Eddie Van Halen
4 (7.4%)
Prince
3 (5.6%)
Eric Clapton
6 (11.1%)
John Mayer
2 (3.7%)
Brian May
0 (0%)
BB King
2 (3.7%)
David Gilmour
3 (5.6%)
Someone else
26 (48.1%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Author Topic: Favorite Guitarist of all time  (Read 19381 times)

Johnny B

• All American
Re: Favorite Guitarist of all time
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2021, 01:57:12 PM »
slash

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2021, 01:58:23 PM »
There's a bunch of people on here who know a lot more about music and guitarists than I do (admittedly a very low bar), so I'll ask for a recommendation.

I really love Clapton's MTV Unplugged album. I think that what I probably really like is acoustic blues. Any recommendations in that genre?
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2021, 02:02:39 PM »
I'm guessing you don't listen to his music at all.  You just know the pop stuff.

I've heard him play some live stuff, where he is absolutely incredible.  But yeah, mostly the pop stuff which seems to be his focus. 

** Edit
I definitely don't seek him out to listen to, because mostly the stuff I hear, isn't really to my taste. 

**Double edit

If you have song suggestions for me, I'd love it.  Because when he plays, I know the guy is great, but honestly I don't want to wade through all the "your body is a wonderland" crap.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 02:37:33 PM by buckchuckler »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2021, 02:03:21 PM »
He really is great, but he squanders his talent with what he plays, so, he may as well not have that talent since he isn't using it.

FWIW, he hasnt put out “pop”, much less bubble gum pop, in over a decade.  His recent stuff is more folky and Americana.  Even The Search for Everything that was a bit more radio friendly had folky/bluesy tones.  And that’s not factoring in touring with Dead and Co
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 02:08:02 PM by JWags85 »

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2021, 02:03:26 PM »
There's a bunch of people on here who know a lot more about music and guitarists than I do (admittedly a very low bar), so I'll ask for a recommendation.

I really love Clapton's MTV Unplugged album. I think that what I probably really like is acoustic blues. Any recommendations in that genre?

Clapton has an album called Me and Mr. Johnson, where he plays a bunch of Robert Johnson tunes.  It's pretty cool.

There is also a John Lee Hooker album called the best of friends, where he plays with a bunch of other musicians.  It is really great, and nice intro to his music in a little more main stream way.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 02:06:30 PM by buckchuckler »

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2021, 02:03:34 PM »

Albert and Freddie King come to mind
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2021, 02:08:11 PM »
Honestly the best guitarist I've ever seen was the singer guitarist/bassist of this weird blues, folk, bluegrass band called Reverend Peytons Big Damn Band that opened for Flogging Molly in 2007.

He was using his thumb on the E string as the bass the whole time while playing these ridiculous slides. Turned a music that isn't my forte into me buying a CD.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2021, 02:09:52 PM »

On the subject of Clapton. Maybe the most "holy s--t" comments in comedy from Anthony Jeselnik:

I used to have a little two-year-old son, but he died. The same way Eric Clapton’s son died. For inspiration.

I’m not gonna lie, this is the best that joke has ever done. You guys kinda laughed, then started talking to each other for some reason. Then started clapping, that is amazing. Most people just boo me. But if you didn’t understand the joke… don’t worry. It’s a complicated joke, a lot of things you gotta know. That joke is like an onion. You’ve gotta know who Eric Clapton is. Not a given these days. You’ve gotta know about his kid. You gotta know how clumsy that little lad was. You gotta know about that terrible f'ing song. And then you gotta think all that’s funny.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2021, 02:13:19 PM »
Honestly the best guitarist I've ever seen was the singer guitarist/bassist of this weird blues, folk, bluegrass band called Reverend Peytons Big Damn Band that opened for Flogging Molly in 2007.

He was using his thumb on the E string as the bass the whole time while playing these ridiculous slides. Turned a music that isn't my forte into me buying a CD.

That's an old Jeff Beck style. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2021, 02:15:03 PM »

That's an old Jeff Beck style.

Similar comparison but much faster and more intense slides.
Maigh Eo for Sam

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2021, 02:15:03 PM »

This is a fairly standard technique actually.  Not to say anything about how this guy used it, but for example, in the aforementioned Tears in Heaven, that first note, Clapton is hammering on (playing the string open, then pressing the fret after the note has started to play) with his thumb. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 02:19:52 PM by buckchuckler »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2021, 02:19:58 PM »
Maybe the most "holy s--t" comments in comedy from Anthony Jeselnik:

Oh hell, maybe we should start a thread. This is OT, but I still think one of Jeselnik's most "holy s--t" comments was:

"But my favorite — the best, most unbeatable, never-gonna-happen-again post-show interaction of all time had to be just — just about a year ago. I was performing in Orlando, Florida, home of Casey Anthony. And this is right after the trial, like immediately after the trial. And I said, 'Listen, everybody, I don’t understand what the big deal is here. Of course Casey Anthony is innocent. If she’s guilty of anything, it’s killing her baby.' Now, after the show, I’m taking pictures, signing tits — You know how it is. And a guy walks up to me, totally sober, looking very upset. And he says, 'You need to do me a favor,' which is a terrible way to start. He says, 'You need to never tell another Casey Anthony joke ever again.' And I said, 'Why?' You know, just to be a dick. And he says — I’ll never forget this. He says, 'Because her daughter, Caylee Anthony, is my niece.' And I said, 'Bullcrap.' At which point he takes out his phone, sadly hits a couple buttons, and he shows me a picture of him holding little Caylee Anthony, in happier times, of course. And he says, 'See? See, you son of a bitch?' And I said, 'No, man, I believe you. I just mean she was your niece.'”

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2021, 02:20:12 PM »
I think there are 2 conversations here. One is technical ability as a guitarist. Second is the entire musical package that they bring with their playing.

Morello and Edge are 2 of my favorite guitarists ever. But if the discussion is just technical ability, I wouldn't rank either in the top 100. When you add style, innovation and adherence to the mood and music of a song, they are off the charts. A guy like Jimi - who is my #1 - combines both aspects.
This is where I'm at. The ability to get funky riffs out of his equipment elevates Morello for me as a 'favorite'. If it's strictly technical 'old school' playing it's a different conversation. I understand that Clapton is technically great but he's boring to me.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2021, 02:27:25 PM »

Muddy Waters - Folk Singer
John Lee Hooker - The Real Folk blues
any Robert Johnson, Son House, Bukka White, Taj Mahal, Lightning Hopkins, Sonny & McGhee

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2021, 02:30:24 PM »
He really is great, but he squanders his talent with what he plays, so, he may as well not have that talent since he isn't using it.

The guy has stepped right into Jerry’s shoes and hasn’t missed a beat. He’s got chops

Jerry is my favorite of all time. Also, nods to Trey
Bring back FFP!!!

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2021, 02:31:45 PM »
The old scratchy early blues recordings are amazing.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2021, 02:41:45 PM »
Oh hell, maybe we should start a thread. This is OT, but I still think one of Jeselnik's most "holy s--t" comments was:

"But my favorite — the best, most unbeatable, never-gonna-happen-again post-show interaction of all time had to be just — just about a year ago. I was performing in Orlando, Florida, home of Casey Anthony. And this is right after the trial, like immediately after the trial. And I said, 'Listen, everybody, I don’t understand what the big deal is here. Of course Casey Anthony is innocent. If she’s guilty of anything, it’s killing her baby.' Now, after the show, I’m taking pictures, signing tits — You know how it is. And a guy walks up to me, totally sober, looking very upset. And he says, 'You need to do me a favor,' which is a terrible way to start. He says, 'You need to never tell another Casey Anthony joke ever again.' And I said, 'Why?' You know, just to be a dick. And he says — I’ll never forget this. He says, 'Because her daughter, Caylee Anthony, is my niece.' And I said, 'Bullcrap.' At which point he takes out his phone, sadly hits a couple buttons, and he shows me a picture of him holding little Caylee Anthony, in happier times, of course. And he says, 'See? See, you son of a bitch?' And I said, 'No, man, I believe you. I just mean she was your niece.'”

Love that guy!  The bit about this Grandmother and the Holocaust was insane too..
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2021, 02:42:43 PM »
The old scratchy early blues recordings are amazing.

I keep mentioning him, because I think it is required, but Robert Johnson is the man.  He is the root from which so much music today now grows.  And it is one of those really old scratchy recordings, and the vocals sound like he is singing into a can, but it is amazing.  There is a really cool documentary on Netflix about him too.   I forget what it is called, Crossroad blues, or Devil at the Crossroads, something like that.  If you like blues, its definitely worth a watch. Tangentially related, there is a ZZ Top doc also which is pretty cool

Oh, and I believe that Mr. Johnson was the first member of the dreaded 27 club.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 02:47:27 PM by buckchuckler »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2021, 02:52:56 PM »
I keep mentioning him, because I think it is required, but Robert Johnson is the man.  He is the root from which so much music today now grows.  And it is one of those really old scratchy recordings, and the vocals sound like he is singing into a can, but it is amazing.  There is a really cool documentary on Netflix about him too.   I forget what it is called, Crossroad blues, or Devil at the Crossroads, something like that.  If you like blues, its definitely worth a watch. Tangentially related, there is a ZZ Top doc also which is pretty cool

Oh, and I believe that Mr. Johnson was the first member of the dreaded 27 club.

You are right on the 27 club.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2021, 02:55:51 PM »
Sorry, I'm basically spamming this thread, but here is a bonkers SRV video

https://youtu.be/grBmQwLSlDw

At about 1:35 its like holy smokes.  The story is that this is him rolling out of bed to go to a soundcheck and this is what happens.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2021, 03:00:25 PM »

At about 1:35 its like holy smokes.  The story is that this is him rolling out of bed to go to a soundcheck and this is what happens.

Supremely talented... Texas Flood is my favorite song of his.  When you see Stevie slay, you can just imagine him being able to improvise for hours

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2021, 03:01:17 PM »
For me, it has to be the Blues guitarists, BB being #1.  RL Burnside might be up there.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2021, 03:04:08 PM »
Supremely talented... Texas Flood is my favorite song of his.  When you see Stevie slay, you can just imagine him being able to improvise for hours

Texas Flood is one of my favorites too.  I also love Life by the Drop, which Stevie covered.  Its amazing, it is probably his most simple song ever, but the emotion just comes through. 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2021, 03:06:59 PM »

I honestly have never really listened to SRV much...I think I should probably start.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2021, 03:29:46 PM »
Some of my favorites that haven't been mentioned:

Dick Dale
Brian Setzer
Neil Geraldo
Duane Eddy
Link Wray
Keith Richards
Dave Davies
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.