[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Nukem2
[April 19, 2024, 09:24:02 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 19, 2024, 08:17:02 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Favorite UK Super Band

The Beatles
Led Zeppelin
The Kinks
The Rolling Stones
The Who
Other

Author Topic: Top UK Super Band  (Read 14632 times)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: Top UK Super Band
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2021, 10:12:51 AM »
plus Blur>Oasis from an influence perspective not from a hight of popularity perspective

The Manchester band breakout happened in sync with the Seattle Grunge breakout.  A great era of music.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2021, 10:15:47 AM »
I completely agree with this unpopular opinion.

Yeah Radiohead is vastly overrated. Even Creep for everything it's worth isn't that great of a song.
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2021, 10:17:05 AM »
Also, U2 sucks ass.

Cmon.

I don't think they "suck" but I definitely liked them more in 1990 than I do today.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2021, 10:19:02 AM »
I like all listed.  I would list the Beatles first from the list.
I used to dislike Led Zeppelin, but their music aged well and grew on me the last 15-20 years and I really like them now.   (It helped that my wife had the CD box set.)

The Kinks have one the best Christmas songs that never gets old, Father Christmas.

Pink Floyd thrown in by some they are just OK, although I can say "back in the day" as a kid I used to love Another Brick in The Wall.

I would take U2, of course, over all although they are not from the UK but Ireland.  I'll let you know when U2-X Radio runs my "Desire" list.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2021, 10:27:13 AM »
course Moon v Bonham is a matchup of the ages. 

Bonham destroys Moon. The greatest thing to ever happen to Moon’s legacy was his untimely death.  He was innovative with the double bass drum to be sure, but he was so sloppy, chaotic, and spastic.  It worked with The Who, but he’s not someone people emulate.  Bonham creates a standard so many drummers try to emulate and inspire by.  Technically, he drummed circles around Moon.

Cmon.

I don't think they "suck" but I definitely liked them more in 1990 than I do today.

U2 in the early to mid 80s was awesome.  They were a good band till the early 90s, then they became self indulgent twats and their music become schlock.  I still think The Edge is a guitar genius, but the hate towards them is merited IMO.

Damon Albarn is a treasure to the human race.  Musical genius, influential as hell, and wholly underappreciated for his contributions to state of music today.

Co-sign 1000%.  Heck, I don’t even like Gorillaz and I marvel at how ahead of the time that project was and how influential it was.  I feel like Albarn/Blur is gonna be like Brian Ferry and Roxy Music.  Not as hyped and revered as other bands of the era, but every bit as monumental and influential.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2021, 10:28:15 AM »
plus Blur almost every band known to exist>Oasis from an influence perspective not from a hight of popularity perspective

fixed it

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2021, 10:29:28 AM »

Cmon.

I mean, it's just my opinion, but they're the one band that I will turn off every time they come on.  Repetitive riffs, a guitarist that goes by "The Edge", and Bono's total lack of self awareness always struck me the wrong way.  I understand other people love U2 (my wife, God help me) but I never cared for them in the least.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2021, 10:33:16 AM »
I mean, it's just my opinion, but they're the one band that I will turn off every time they come on.  Repetitive riffs, a guitarist that goes by "The Edge", and Bono's total lack of self awareness always struck me the wrong way.  I understand other people love U2 (my wife, God help me) but I never cared for them in the least.

Out of curiousity have you given them a fair shake? I mean I'll be the first to admit How to Dismantle and Atomic Bomb is the most overrated album in my lifetime. And With or Without you is unbelievably over played. But have you gone back to their first album or two with an open mind?

Because in my mind if you write off those then you have to write off The Cure, Joy Division, New Order, Modern English, etc
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 10:39:54 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2021, 10:35:54 AM »
Out of curiousity have you given them a fair shake? I mean I'll be the first to admit How to Dismantle and Atomic Bomb is the most overrated album in my lifetime. And With or Without you is unbelievably over played. But have you gone back to their first album or two with an open mind?

Nope.  Can't stand their hits, so I'm not digging into the deep cuts.  The only thing I'll leave on is streets, and that is for obvious nostalgic reasons.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2021, 10:42:25 AM »
Nope.  Can't stand their hits, so I'm not digging into the deep cuts.  The only thing I'll leave on is streets, and that is for obvious nostalgic reasons.

Fair enough. If you're even on a kick listening to The Cure then I'd suggest tossing on the album Boy and keeping an open mind.
Maigh Eo for Sam

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2021, 10:43:52 AM »

I agree, but I actually used to like u2 at one time. Bands you instantly turn off sounds like another list.
1.   Oasis
2.   U2
3.   Dave Matthews
4.   Green Day
5.   Blind melon

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2021, 10:47:11 AM »
I agree, but I actually used to like u2 at one time. Bands you instantly turn off sounds like another list.
1.   Oasis
2.   U2
3.   Dave Matthews
4.   Green Day
5.   Blind melon

Woah woah woah have you seen them live? Changes this whole take.

Also Green Day is vastly overrated as a pop punk band, punk band, rock band, Broadway writers, and just generally sucks (exception: welcome to paradise)
Maigh Eo for Sam

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2021, 10:50:40 AM »

Also Green Day is vastly overrated as a pop punk band, punk band, rock band, Broadway writers, and just generally sucks (exception: welcome to paradise)

I know Dave Matthews has a huge almost Grateful dead like cult following for the live shows, but something about the music I can’t stand.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2021, 10:51:56 AM »
No Genesis love, hey?

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2021, 11:06:29 AM »
Yeah Radiohead is vastly overrated. Even Creep for everything it's worth isn't that great of a song.
Everything post Kid A is too much for me but pre Kid A......they were fantastic. The Bends is one of the best albums ever IMHO

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2021, 11:06:46 AM »

Cmon.

There are definitely different eras of U2. 1980 to 1989 U2 is incredible. I still think Joshua Tree is among the best albums ever. Achtung Baby was a departure from their previous stuff, Zooropa a further departure then Pop was a "WTF" album (I was living in Ireland when "Discotecque" came out and people there didn't know what to think about it). All That You Can't Leave Behind and How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb were a semi-return to their 80's roots. After that, it's been just coasting off their past success.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2021, 11:11:42 AM »
I know Dave Matthews has a huge almost Grateful dead like cult following for the live shows, but something about the music I can’t stand.

Comparing Dave to the Dead is criminal
Bring back FFP!!!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2021, 11:11:54 AM »
There are definitely different eras of U2. 1980 to 1989 U2 is incredible. I still think Joshua Tree is among the best albums ever. Achtung Baby was a departure from their previous stuff, Zooropa a further departure then Pop was a "WTF" album (I was living in Ireland when "Discotecque" came out and people there didn't know what to think about it). All That You Can't Leave Behind and How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb were a semi-return to their 80's roots. After that, it's been just coasting off their past success.

The 20-teens Songs of Innocence and Songs of Experience are great and their best since Achtung Baby.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2021, 11:13:58 AM »
1.   Oasis
2.   U2
3.   Dave Matthews
4.   Green Day
5.   Blind melon

Ha!  This is fun.  How often is Blind Melon coming on? 
I'd go:

Rush
Queen
Dave Matthews
Grateful Dead
Nickelback

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2021, 11:15:19 AM »

No, and why??? Hey, I hate this band.  It sounds like cats fighting to a stupid saxophone.  Can I please pay money to be forced to listen to them for 2 hours?  Yeah, I don't think so.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2021, 11:16:31 AM »

Been listening to the DMB XM station lately, totally got me back into their live stuff.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2021, 11:19:32 AM »
No, and why??? Hey, I hate this band.  It sounds like cats fighting to a stupid saxophone.  Can I please pay money to be forced to listen to them for 2 hours?  Yeah, I don't think so.

I can't even argue this the metaphor cracked me up too much.

Comparing Dave to the Dead is criminal

Yeah Dave is much better.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2021, 11:21:02 AM »
Ha!  This is fun.  How often is Blind Melon coming on? 
I'd go:

Rush
Queen
Dave Matthews
Grateful Dead
Nickelback

I agree entirely with Rush Queen and Grateful Dead. I have a couple guilty pleasure exceptions with Nickelback but overall agree on them to.
Maigh Eo for Sam

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2021, 11:25:21 AM »
I can't even argue this the metaphor cracked me up too much.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2021, 11:26:51 AM »
Ironically, bands I always turn off...

Led Zeppelin
Rolling Stones
Beatles
Cars
Any prog-rock 70s
Almost any disco
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.