[Today at 04:47:36 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Favorite UK Super Band

The Beatles
Led Zeppelin
The Kinks
The Rolling Stones
The Who
Other

Author Topic: Top UK Super Band  (Read 14629 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Re: Top UK Super Band
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2021, 10:15:06 PM »
Oasis had a monster peak, but they were a shooting star. Their run was real only only 5 years from late 94 to the end of the 90s. By Standing on the Shoulders of Giants they lost 2 founding members and the album did ok by their standards, and then Heathen Chemistry was largely forgotten. They went from selling millions of albums outside the UK to 100-200K. And that was still early 2000s so streaming wars hadn’t begun in earnest.

Compare that to The Who or Zepplin who lasted a decade plus at their heights.

Oasis helped define my college years at MU, so they mean more to me. Be Here Now came out my sophomore year, then I studied abroad in the UK my junior year and discovered some not released tracks here in the US. My senior year, I’m sure I probably blasted Go Let It Out! onto Wells Street. I’ll have Alexa play Oasis and forget how much I enjoyed most of their catalog.

They don’t belong on this list with the other bands here, but I sure do still enjoy them.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2021, 10:40:10 PM »
Not to be that guy, but you spelled Zeppelin wrong...

But they are the answer.  For me, for you, for everyone.  Any other answer is wrong.

Individually, they were all supremely talented.  Each of them better than their counterpart in any of the other bands mentioned, and the only ones that could even be argued would be Daltry and Mick over Plant, and of course Moon v Bonham is a matchup of the ages. 

Each of Zeppelin's first 4 albums are iconic.  A veritable playlist for what Rock and Roll means.  They were great at everything.  Songs that were just rock from the first note like Good Times Bad Times.  Songs that were acoustic masterpieces, like Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You.  Blues tunes like You Shook Me, and Rock legends that just freaking burn it up like Dazed and Confused.  And man, that's just the first 4 tracks on Led Zeppelin I. 

And while they have an entire catalog of great songs, so do some of the others on the list, what Zeppelin really doesn't have is the bad songs.  The Stones have a million great songs, but they have a ton of terrible ones too.  The Who, same way.  Zeppelin really doesn't have any bad songs until what Presence?  Their 7th album? 

Transcendent talent?  Check.  Perfect blending of those talents?  Check.  Varied catalog from acoustic folk songs to reggae to surf rock to face melting guitar and drum solos? Check.  Legendary live sets?  Check.

Rock was perfected in Led Zeppelin. 

But Floyd should be on the list, Black Sabbath for sure and Cream maybe?

For my top 5 I'd go:
Zeppelin
Stones
Who
Black Sabbath
Floyd

« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 12:16:08 AM by buckchuckler »

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2021, 10:42:37 PM »
U2.

Pretty sure Ireland is its own country.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2021, 12:11:03 AM »
Herman's Hermits just can't get no respect.

“I’m Into Something Good” is a classic.

But when the title of the thread was “Super Band” I thought it was referring to a group like The Traveling Wilburys, where a bunch of stud musicians got together to write some music for the hell of it.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 12:19:29 AM by Silent Verbal »

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2021, 03:43:58 AM »
Cream?  Blind Faith?

From this list, Zeppelin of course... and by a large margin.  But this list without Cream is like Clapton without a Guitar.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Dr. Blackheart

• All American

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2021, 07:16:56 AM »
Cream?  Blind Faith?

From this list, Zeppelin of course... and by a large margin.  But this list without Cream is like Clapton without a Guitar.

Cream was extremely talented but not really a super band.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2021, 07:48:30 AM »
Radiohead is a top 4 here.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.standard.co.uk/culture/music/the-20-greatest-british-rock-bands-of-all-time-a3655391.html%3famp

I’m a huge music/concert guy. A couple years ago I had to go to Radiohead for work and it was by far the worst concert I’ve ever been to. Just not my style. Going into it I had an open mind and was actually kind of excited because I knew they had a cult following, but the show sucked.

I fully understand this is probably an unpopular opinion and maybe I caught them on a bad night but I did not enjoy the show
Bring back FFP!!!

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2021, 07:53:17 AM »

Seriously, of those listed, I'd go with The Beatles and The Who. But I'd vote for Queen if listed and would probably also consider Pink Floyd for my second spot.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2021, 07:56:50 AM »
Oasis. In the UK they were as big as the Beatles. 2.5 million people applied for tickets to see them at Knebworth in 1996.  The sold out the England Be Here Now tour dates in 10 minutes.

I watched the pilot of Ted Lasso last night. One of the funnier throw-away lines was when the owner of the team referred to the coach's balls as "Liam and Noel."
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2021, 08:02:59 AM »
Cream?  Blind Faith?

At the time, Cream was definitely a huge group.  Very influential.

The problem though is their music just really hasn't stood the test of time as well.  Maybe its because they only lasted about five years, put out four albums.  Or maybe it's because Clapton kind of overtook Cream's legacy when he came out with his own iconic album soon after.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2021, 08:29:53 AM »
U2.

Adam Clayton's the only British one. Band was formed in Ireland and the other three are from Dublin.

To the main post logically it is the Beatles but I would argue The Who have had a longer lasting effect on rock music with the major introduction of power chords, playing at faster speeds and breaking their instruments you can hear the pre-punk influence. While Baba O'Reily and Won't get fooled again directly influenced arena rock.

Personally though it's the Kinks from that list. I'm Not Like Everybody Else was a banger way before it's time.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2021, 08:50:45 AM »
Adam Clayton's the only British one. Band was formed in Ireland and the other three are from Dublin.

To the main post logically it is the Beatles but I would argue The Who have had a longer lasting effect on rock music with the major introduction of power chords, playing at faster speeds and breaking their instruments you can hear the pre-punk influence. While Baba O'Reily and Won't get fooled again directly influenced arena rock.

Personally though it's the Kinks from that list. I'm Not Like Everybody Else was a banger way before it's time.

Also, U2 sucks ass.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2021, 08:52:34 AM »

Yeah, pretty sure this isn't true.  Power chords like just everything else in terms of rock guitar, began with the blues, and pretty much Robert Johnson.  Heck, you can look at this list and see the Kinks using power chords to perfection on their biggest hit( You Really Got Me), years before the Who recorded a song.  But the use of power chords in rock and roll goes right to Chuck Berry, continues through Buddy Holly and through today.  I don't think the Who have any claim to an introduction, or even proliferation, of power chords. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2021, 08:54:26 AM »
Also, U2 sucks ass.

I like a handful of their songs (I Will Follow has a great post punk riff)  but overall not my cup of tea.
Maigh Eo for Sam

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2021, 08:57:09 AM »

At the time, Cream was definitely a huge group.  Very influential.

The problem though is their music just really hasn't stood the test of time as well.  Maybe its because they only lasted about five years, put out four albums.  Or maybe it's because Clapton kind of overtook Cream's legacy when he came out with his own iconic album soon after.

I completely agree.  Cream was great, and I would even say they have lasting songs that hold up, but they were just too short lived to be with the others on this list. 

Same for Blind Faith.  Both Clapton and Winwood had their genius spread out over so many projects (Yardbirds, Bluesbreakers, Cream, Blind Faith, Derek and the Dominoes, and Solo for Clapton, and I'm probably missing something.  And Spencer Davis, Bind Faith, Traffic and solo for Winwood).

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2021, 08:57:42 AM »
Yeah, pretty sure this isn't true.  Power chords like just everything else in terms of rock guitar, began with the blues, and pretty much Robert Johnson.  Heck, you can look at this list and see the Kinks using power chords to perfection on their biggest hit( You Really Got Me), years before the Who recorded a song.  But the use of power chords in rock and roll goes right to Chuck Berry, continues through Buddy Holly and through today.  I don't think the Who have any claim to an introduction, or even proliferation, of power chords.

a lot of credit is given to Townsend for being an early pioneer of writing full songs around power chords (or at least he claimed it in his bio) so I just figured I'd mention it with them.
Maigh Eo for Sam

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2021, 09:21:32 AM »

+1.  For me The Who and The Kinks would be 1-2, but The Who would be number 1. 

The older I get the less I like the Beatles, though I couldn't tell you why.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2021, 09:22:56 AM »
Oasis had a monster peak, but they were a shooting star. Their run was real only only 5 years from late 94 to the end of the 90s. By Standing on the Shoulders of Giants they lost 2 founding members and the album did ok by their standards, and then Heathen Chemistry was largely forgotten. They went from selling millions of albums outside the UK to 100-200K. And that was still early 2000s so streaming wars hadn’t begun in earnest.

Compare that to The Who or Zepplin who lasted a decade plus at their heights.
plus Blur>Oasis from an influence perspective not from a hight of popularity perspective

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2021, 09:27:58 AM »
+1.  For me The Who and The Kinks would be 1-2, but The Who would be number 1. 

The older I get the less I like the Beatles, though I couldn't tell you why.

I've never really liked them.  They have some good songs, but most of it is popish stuff that doesn't really interest me.

I also don't think its a coincidence that right after they left the stage, that bands like the Who and the Stones came out with their best albums, and others like Zeppelin started to emerge.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2021, 09:47:18 AM »
a lot of credit is given to Townsend for being an early pioneer of writing full songs around power chords (or at least he claimed it in his bio) so I just figured I'd mention it with them.

Hmm.  Didn't know that.  Interesting. I'll have to do some further reading.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 09:49:59 AM by buckchuckler »

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2021, 09:57:32 AM »
I’m a huge music/concert guy. A couple years ago I had to go to Radiohead for work and it was by far the worst concert I’ve ever been to. Just not my style. Going into it I had an open mind and was actually kind of excited because I knew they had a cult following, but the show sucked.

I fully understand this is probably an unpopular opinion and maybe I caught them on a bad night but I did not enjoy the show

I completely agree with this unpopular opinion.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2021, 10:09:20 AM »
Then I guess my answer is The Pogues.

"Hi, this is Rocky O'Riordan, welcome to U2-X Radio."

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2021, 10:11:24 AM »
Then I guess my answer is The Pogues.

Hahaha nice
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2021, 10:12:29 AM »
plus Blur>Oasis from an influence perspective not from a hight of popularity perspective

Damon Albarn is a treasure to the human race.  Musical genius, influential as hell, and wholly underappreciated for his contributions to state of music today.

feedback