[Today at 04:46:28 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[Today at 04:22:26 PM]

2024 Scoop Art Competition by Skatastrophy
[Today at 09:53:42 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[June 10, 2024, 10:45:56 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

What would it take to move your needle on Wojo this year?

A NCAA win
63 (33.2%)
Deep NCAA success (S16 or better)
52 (27.4%)
A conference title
14 (7.4%)
A sub .500 conference finish
14 (7.4%)
A bottom 3 conference finish
19 (10%)
Dead last in conference
1 (0.5%)
Another late season collapse (self-define)
4 (2.1%)
There is nothing short of a national title that Wojo can do this season that will redeem him
8 (4.2%)
There is nothing short of cocaine and strippers for the players that Wojo can do this season that will diminish my opinion of him
7 (3.7%)
Other (add in comments)
8 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 190

Author Topic: Moving your Wojo Needle  (Read 35568 times)

swoopem

• All American
Re: Moving your Wojo Needle
« Reply #175 on: January 11, 2021, 08:47:58 AM »

OK but cmon...

When did you think he should have been fired.  In 2019 because they failed down the stretch?  In 2020 when Covid didn't even let them play in the tournament?

Look, I am not a fan of the guy and think its best to move on.  But realistically I know that there was no way they were going to fire the guy after the last two seasons.  Unless this season becomes an absolute dumpster fire, I don't see it after this year either.

Revisionist history here but I think the best time to fire him would’ve been after the Hauser debacle and then hire Nate Oats

Now we’re stuck with him for at least another year due to the financial situation. However, if it were up to me id fire him the second the season ends this year (I understand they won’t and realistically can’t)
Bring back FFP!!!

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #176 on: January 11, 2021, 08:53:24 AM »
Revisionist history here but I think the best time to fire him would’ve been after the Hauser debacle and then hire Nate Oats

He mishandled that situation, but the optics of that timing would have been really bad. What coach is gonna want to walk into a situation where they fire a guy over transfers?

It's too bad Oats didn't wait a year, because I think a case could have been made after last season. But alas, malaise forever.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #177 on: January 11, 2021, 08:55:54 AM »

Now we’re stuck with him for at least another year due to the financial situation. However, if it were up to me id fire him the second the season ends this year (I understand they won’t and realistically can’t)

Right.  That's probably when a lot of people on the fence started jumping ship.

But there was no way to fire him then.

And no, there was no way they were going to fire him after last season either.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #178 on: January 11, 2021, 09:09:27 AM »
Right.  That's probably when a lot of people on the fence started jumping ship.

But there was no way to fire him then.

And no, there was no way they were going to fire him after last season either.

Yea, it’s kind of like the Herb Kohl Bucks. Very much a treadmill team. Good enough to get the 8 seed, but going to be stuck there.

I think if we finish Big East like 5-15 this year, in normal times, they’d maybe pull the trigger. I think right now the only way Wojo isn’t the coach next year is if he takes a different job.

I hope at the end of the year we are talking about how Wojo turned things around and we had a great year and be excited to extend him. It just doesn’t seem to be trending that way.

Paint Touches posted a sobering chart today. We aren’t keeping our opponents away from quality looks.

https://twitter.com/painttouches/status/1348635482691948547?s=21

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #179 on: January 11, 2021, 09:29:09 AM »
He mishandled that situation, but the optics of that timing would have been really bad. What coach is gonna want to walk into a situation where they fire a guy over transfers?

It's too bad Oats didn't wait a year, because I think a case could have been made after last season. But alas, malaise forever.

Trust me, it get it. But the collapse alone could’ve been a reason for firing.

I’m just saying I think Oats would’ve been the best guy for the job and the timing happened to work out that offseason
Bring back FFP!!!

panda

• All American
« Reply #180 on: January 11, 2021, 09:32:36 AM »
Trust me, it get it. But the collapse alone could’ve been a reason for firing.

I’m just saying I think Oats would’ve been the best guy for the job and the timing happened to work out that offseason

There’s still a decent group of people to this day who truly believe the Hauser’s completely blindsided Wojo with their discontent/transfer.

There was no way admin was making a move right after the fact.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #181 on: January 11, 2021, 09:34:25 AM »
There’s still a decent group of people to this day who truly believe the Hauser’s completely blindsided Wojo with their discontent/transfer.

My understanding is Wojo thought mommy or daddy were venting and basically misread the situation. So while he may not have been blindsided it may have still been a surprise.
Maigh Eo for Sam

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #182 on: January 11, 2021, 09:43:20 AM »

Wojo was blindsided yet there were posters here saying after the Buffalo game (December) that the Hausers were getting frustrated. For 3 months Wojo had no clue his players were unhappy??? Sounds like a guy who’s really got control of his locker room

I still remember the one and only press conference where someone asked him about the transfers and he snapped at the guy asking it saying to ask Sam and Joey and he didn’t see it coming. Bullsh!t
Bring back FFP!!!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #183 on: January 11, 2021, 09:51:15 AM »
Sorry, I meant had there been no pandemic - it seems that even in the absence of the pandemic Wojo's buyout has appeared too high (according the the rumors on this site). If it really is, who knows.

You are forgetting half of the "rumor." The rumor is that Wojo's buyout is too high to fire him during an economic crisis caused by a global pandemic. The buyout discussion didn't come up until last offseason during the beginning of the COVID pandemic.

But the basic point is the buck stops with the guy in charge. MUBB doesn't win, that's on Wojo. MU keeps around a coach that doesn't win, that's on Scholl.

If you want to look at the world in absolutes, sure. But you add even the slightest bit of context and you realize that Scholl has zero ability to fire Wojo, even if he wanted to. The only thing Scholl is guilty of is not forseeing a global pandemic.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #184 on: January 11, 2021, 09:53:15 AM »

Find me an example of a coach that was fired immediately after earning a 5-seed in the NCAAT without NCAA or criminal violations being involved.

I'll save you time, it's never happened. No program EVER would have fired Wojo after year five. To say MU should have is not reasonable.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

panda

• All American
« Reply #185 on: January 11, 2021, 09:59:02 AM »
Find me an example of a coach that was fired immediately after earning a 5-seed in the NCAAT without NCAA or criminal violations being involved.

I'll save you time, it's never happened. No program EVER would have fired Wojo after year five. To say MU should have is not reasonable.

Exactly. What coach would want to come in and work at a program where they would get fired after those type of results?

If we want to look at the silver lining, the job situation now is much more appealing to a broad coaching search. Candidates will look at the loyalty the school shows to Wojo and know they’ll have time to build something.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #186 on: January 11, 2021, 10:15:15 AM »
He wasn't blindsided. He thought he fixed it in a four hour meeting a week before they announced the transfer.

It was handled terribly from start to finish.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #187 on: January 11, 2021, 10:36:16 AM »
Wojo was blindsided yet there were posters here saying after the Buffalo game (December) that the Hausers were getting frustrated. For 3 months Wojo had no clue his players were unhappy??? Sounds like a guy who’s really got control of his locker room

I still remember the one and only press conference where someone asked him about the transfers and he snapped at the guy asking it saying to ask Sam and Joey and he didn’t see it coming. Bullsh!t

The Hausers may be the only players in the history of basketball to be frustrated after an 18 point win over a top 15 opponent and rather than celebrate their teammate going for 45, 5, and 4 on 12/25 shooting and 9/13 from 3, they start thinking about transferring.  I don't blame Wojo if that surprised him.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #188 on: January 11, 2021, 11:09:54 AM »

I actually hate that we got that 5 season because based on any criteria from the NCAA before that season we'd have been at least a 7.  We got the 5 seed because of our fluky win pattern of beating some top 75 teams on the road for tier one wins but losing to them at home where the teams weren't good enough to count as tier 1 losses.  I still think if we just flopped where we won a couple of our games we'd have been an 7 or 8 where we belonged.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #189 on: January 11, 2021, 11:56:57 AM »
I actually hate that we got that 5 season because based on any criteria from the NCAA before that season we'd have been at least a 7.  We got the 5 seed because of our fluky win pattern of beating some top 75 teams on the road for tier one wins but losing to them at home where the teams weren't good enough to count as tier 1 losses.  I still think if we just flopped where we won a couple of our games we'd have been an 7 or 8 where we belonged.

That doesn't change the fact that we were a 5 seed. I hate that we were in the NIT in 2018 because the NCAA was still using RPI even though using NET we'd have been in over Providence. But fact remains we were out they were in given the selection process.
Maigh Eo for Sam

1SE

• All American
« Reply #190 on: January 11, 2021, 12:01:33 PM »
You are forgetting half of the "rumor." The rumor is that Wojo's buyout is too high to fire him during an economic crisis caused by a global pandemic. The buyout discussion didn't come up until last offseason during the beginning of the COVID pandemic.

If you want to look at the world in absolutes, sure. But you add even the slightest bit of context and you realize that Scholl has zero ability to fire Wojo, even if he wanted to. The only thing Scholl is guilty of is not forseeing a global pandemic.

Bill, that you?
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

onepost

• All American
« Reply #191 on: January 11, 2021, 01:31:06 PM »
The Hausers may be the only players in the history of basketball to be frustrated after an 18 point win over a top 15 opponent and rather than celebrate their teammate going for 45, 5, and 4 on 12/25 shooting and 9/13 from 3, they start thinking about transferring.  I don't blame Wojo if that surprised him.

The limits you'll go to defend Wojo, like that game alone was a deciding factor in their justified frustrations rather than the more obvious months and months of issues building up, are comical.  With fans like you caping for our mediocrity, it's less surprising this fanbase is becoming apathetic.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #192 on: January 11, 2021, 02:31:23 PM »
The limits you'll go to defend Wojo, like that game alone was a deciding factor in their justified frustrations rather than the more obvious months and months of issues building up, are comical.  With fans like you caping for our mediocrity, it's less surprising this fanbase is becoming apathetic.

If the Hausers are really "all about winning," I don't know how they came away from the Buffalo game frustrated, a 15 point win over a top 15 opponent to push Marquette to 10-2.

I haven't really defended Wojo at all this year.  But what I do is call out absolute BS.  The Hausers can't be "all about winning" and come away from Buffalo frustrated enough that all of Scoop knew about it but somehow it went undetected by Wojo.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

onepost

• All American
« Reply #193 on: January 11, 2021, 02:41:44 PM »
If the Hausers are really "all about winning," I don't know how they came away from the Buffalo game frustrated, a 15 point win over a top 15 opponent to push Marquette to 10-2.

I haven't really defended Wojo at all this year.  But what I do is call out absolute BS.  The Hausers can't be "all about winning" and come away from Buffalo frustrated enough that all of Scoop knew about it but somehow it went undetected by Wojo.

You're so fixated on this one, singular game.  To fit some narrative.
It was so much deeper than a Buffalo game and had been going on well before then, while lasting well after.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #194 on: January 11, 2021, 02:51:05 PM »
It was so much deeper than a Buffalo game and had been going on well before then, while lasting well after.

Buffalo was 1 month into the season. What exactly do you call "going on well before then".

I won't claim any inside knowledge and you could clearly see an issue appearing in either the second SJU or second Nova where things weren't clicking right and Markus arguably screwed it up. But Wades has a point, if there was an issue after Buffalo or even prior then that the Hausers being fragile not the other way.
Maigh Eo for Sam

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #195 on: January 11, 2021, 02:52:50 PM »

There is no question that Wojo lost control of the locker room on the Hauser fiasco. He blew it big time.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

wiscwarrior

• Starter
« Reply #196 on: January 11, 2021, 03:03:55 PM »
There is no question that Wojo lost control of the locker room on the Hauser fiasco. He blew it big time.

I don't recall Wojo losing any other players to transfer that year so how is that "losing control of the locker room"? He lost control of 2 players who had their own agendas.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #197 on: January 11, 2021, 03:06:29 PM »
Yes, Joey was throwing his hands in the air when he didn't get the ball in November of his freshman year.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

panda

• All American
« Reply #198 on: January 11, 2021, 03:10:36 PM »
My understanding is that frustrations grew when Markus was allowed to go home over the summer while the rest of the team was on campus for team workouts.

The reason for him going home was never clearly communicated from the top and several guys, rightly or wrongly, saw that as preferential treatment and ignoring the team concept.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #199 on: January 11, 2021, 03:25:39 PM »
Oh good.  We're back to rehashing this.  Some of you need to learn to move on...

feedback