Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

What would it take to move your needle on Wojo this year?

A NCAA win
63 (33.2%)
Deep NCAA success (S16 or better)
52 (27.4%)
A conference title
14 (7.4%)
A sub .500 conference finish
14 (7.4%)
A bottom 3 conference finish
19 (10%)
Dead last in conference
1 (0.5%)
Another late season collapse (self-define)
4 (2.1%)
There is nothing short of a national title that Wojo can do this season that will redeem him
8 (4.2%)
There is nothing short of cocaine and strippers for the players that Wojo can do this season that will diminish my opinion of him
7 (3.7%)
Other (add in comments)
8 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 190

Author Topic: Moving your Wojo Needle  (Read 35351 times)

1SE

• All American
Moving your Wojo Needle
« on: January 04, 2021, 08:32:48 AM »
To be fair, I think most folks here are pretty consistent in their no-jo, pro-jo and so-so-jo positions. That said, what would it take to move your needle on Wojo this season. I've tried to put in some pretty comprehensive possibilities from both the projo and nojo sides - and I realize some might be "either/or" (like either a conference title or a deep NCAA run), but I don't think Rocky has invested in that kind of poll technology.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

cheebs09

• All American
Re: Moving your Wojo Needle
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 08:40:17 AM »
For me, I think a run to the BET finals or a NCAA Tourney win would go a long ways. Where the team is right now, I think either of those would mean a solid coaching performance. Granted, it’s a small sample size, but something at least moving the program forward.

For reference, I’m currently of the belief that Wojo isn’t going to take us to new heights. He’s pretty much Crean without the Final Four. My hope is an ACC job opens up and both sides part amicably.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 09:20:47 AM »
There are a few things I’d like to see from this point forward:

No more than 3 losses in conference the rest of the way, which would give us a total of 6 for the season.  In other words, a strong conference record.  This has been a consistent problem under Wojo.

Two NCAA tournament wins.  Winning in just the first round would be nice, but beating two good teams in one weekend will require some good coaching and motivation from Wojo.  And he needs to win two to make up for his complete goose egg thus far.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 09:35:48 AM »
I said other, as I think there is a result a bit short of a conference title that would move my needle. That is a top 3 finish in the BEast. To do so, we’d need to avoid the late season collapse (which is important to my perception of Wojo’s success this season).

I would like to see decent results in both the BEast tourney and the NCAAs, but I think that COVID is likely to wreak havoc on how those function this year, so the standard metric of, say, two wins in each may not mean the same as in normal years.

To date, I’ve fallen on the side of being patient, of giving Wojo more time. Like many others, though, I’m fearing that he has reached his plateau. And I’d like more and better for MU.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 09:44:13 AM »
A scandal.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 09:48:55 AM »
For me it's less about results and more about trends. I want to see a team that understands the value of a possession. I want to see a team that limits opponents opportunities from three, regardless of make or miss since 3PFG% defense is really just luck. And I want to see clear evidence from the staff that they understand the importance of advanced analytics, particularly because understanding and knowing how to manipulate those numbers in game is more important now than ever before because it is the foundation of the NET which determines bids and seeding.

You can win a game against the odds like Georgetown or Creighton, you can sneak in and make a surprising S16 run, but that doesn't address the long-term trends that underlie the program's backward trajectory.

What would it take? Hire a video coordinator that understands analytics rather than just promoting a grad assistant. Add assistants from analytic savvy programs rather than just another recruiter.

This is why I'm less encouraged by wins. The problems I'm seeing are fundamental and in my opinion need a mindset change to correct. I'm not convinced this is a staff willing to unlearn what they think they know to move forward with a program suited for 21st century success.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 09:52:58 AM »
There is a lot more to good decision making than the numbers.
Numbers are only a part of good decision making.
People call it decision making when the numbers really make the decision and not the human.
A good "decision" to dump WOJO would require a plan going forward besides relying on luck and another time consuming project.  Iona chose Rick Paterno, he is doing well, his numbers look good.  Who is in with him as our next coach?  What if he makes a run in the NCAA?
BTW, Iona is a well regarded NYC area Christian Brothers university.
There is more to life than the numbers.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 09:55:26 AM by vogue65 »

1SE

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2021, 09:59:11 AM »
A scandal.

Come on, I put the "cocaine and strippers" option there just for you - you could have clicked it!

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2021, 10:08:47 AM »
Come on, I put the "cocaine and strippers" option there just for you - you could have clicked it!

Love it, so you are in with Pitino, me too.
Let's trash WOJO and go for the gold, hay, Iona is doing it.
A year or two of contrition, forgivness, and we sign him up.
Go with a winner, you can't lose.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2021, 10:29:52 AM »
Love it, so you are in with Pitino, me too.
Let's trash WOJO and go for the gold, hay, Iona is doing it.
A year or two of contrition, forgivness, and we sign him up.
Go with a winner, you can't lose.

Marquette has had good coaches a with less than flawless moral compass. We've had quality moral coaches that were less than spectacular basketball coaches. I don't think it's too much to hope for both.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2021, 10:55:48 AM »

That's less of a scandal and more of a good time...wait, does this mean I support hiring Pitino?
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2021, 12:39:02 PM »
Hey, it's why pencils have erasers. I thought there was something about forgiveness and redemption in THEO 1001.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2021, 12:42:10 PM »
Hey, it's why pencils have erasers. I thought there was something about forgiveness and redemption in THEO 1001.

THEO 1001 was all blocks and fouls.
Maigh Eo for Sam

connie

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2021, 09:17:48 PM »
I didn't think MU was allowed to teach that anymore. 
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2021, 10:18:10 PM »

I dont think cocaine and stippers would even have a chance of being fun with Wojo. 

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2021, 02:53:12 AM »
I have switched during the last 18 months from very pro-jo due to his clean program and strong recruiting to no-jo because he cannot actually coach basketball.  I do believe that teaching and coaching the game should be part of the job requirements. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

1SE

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2021, 03:27:26 AM »
I have switched during the last 18 months from very pro-jo due to his clean program and strong recruiting to no-jo because he cannot actually coach basketball.  I do believe that teaching and coaching the game should be part of the job requirements.

Yeah, lots of folks could run a scandal free basketball programme for a lot less than 2 million a year if that is the only criterion for the job.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2021, 07:27:31 AM »
 A sub .500 conference record with this team would turn me into a nojo (the needle would go from middle toward a solid negative direction).

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2021, 08:02:18 AM »
Just win baby!

Winning has a way of solving even the most severe problems. At this point, I want Coach Wojo and the guys to win every day!

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2021, 09:26:14 AM »
Just win baby!

Winning has a way of solving even the most severe problems. At this point, I want Coach Wojo and the guys to win every day!
Groundbreaking analysis, truly.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2021, 10:22:51 AM »
A sub .500 conference record with this team would turn me into a nojo (the needle would go from middle toward a solid negative direction).

First five is a guy who's played 25 collegiate games, a guy who's in his second year with the program, a guy who's never been a regular starter, a rookie, and a foul prone big.

Off the bench is a rookie, a sophomore PG, and a walking injury.

What kind of results are you expecting with "this team"?

Viper

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2021, 10:36:07 AM »
First five is a guy who's played 25 collegiate games, a guy who's in his second year with the program, a guy who's never been a regular starter, a rookie, and a foul prone big.

Off the bench is a rookie, a sophomore PG, and a walking injury.

What kind of results are you expecting with "this team"?
its not the losing. It’s how they lose. Same garbage for now a 7th season.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2021, 11:10:27 AM »

Or, you could say that the first five are a fifth year senior, two fourth year seniors, a McDonald’s AA, and the No. 31 recruit in the 2019 class who played twenty games with Ohio State last year, averaging 24mpg and 10ppg.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2021, 12:16:34 PM »
Or, you could say that the first five are a fifth year senior, two fourth year seniors, a McDonald’s AA, and the No. 31 recruit in the 2019 class who played twenty games with Ohio State last year, averaging 24mpg and 10ppg.

I could have called Cam Marotta a 4th year senior last season, it wouldn't have made him good.

Preseason KenPom said this roster was 34th best in the country. T-Rank I don't remember exactly but I think it was 76th. Most Scoopers ranged from "barely make the tournament" to "lucky to make the NIT".

I think the truth of how good this roster is likely between the two extremes of KP and T-Rank. If we end up on the high end of that range (9 seed), I think that means Wojo had a good year.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2021, 01:20:26 PM »
I could have called Cam Marotta a 4th year senior last season, it wouldn't have made him good.

I guess I don’t get this...are you saying Cain and Theo aren’t good, or just inexperienced?

Theo has appeared in 108 career games, starting 74.

Cain has appeared in 104 games, starting 16.  He averaged 17mpg as a freshman and 18mpg last year.  He has been a rotation guy for two of his three seasons at Marquette.

Koby, our fifth year senior, was a starter for two years at Utah State.  He’s played in 102 career games and started 101.

We are not an inexperienced team, and I actually think we have quite a bit of talent.  And if it’s the talent that’s lacking, well, that’s on Wojo.