Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

What would it take to move your needle on Wojo this year?

A NCAA win
63 (33.2%)
Deep NCAA success (S16 or better)
52 (27.4%)
A conference title
14 (7.4%)
A sub .500 conference finish
14 (7.4%)
A bottom 3 conference finish
19 (10%)
Dead last in conference
1 (0.5%)
Another late season collapse (self-define)
4 (2.1%)
There is nothing short of a national title that Wojo can do this season that will redeem him
8 (4.2%)
There is nothing short of cocaine and strippers for the players that Wojo can do this season that will diminish my opinion of him
7 (3.7%)
Other (add in comments)
8 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 190

Author Topic: Moving your Wojo Needle  (Read 35401 times)

Silent Verbal

• All American
Re: Moving your Wojo Needle
« Reply #200 on: January 11, 2021, 03:26:52 PM »
I don't recall Wojo losing any other players to transfer that year so how is that "losing control of the locker room"? He lost control of 2 players who had their own agendas.

It was widely speculated on here that had the Hausers not transferred, at least 2 or 3 others would have, the most likely candidates being Anim, Cain, and Bailey.  They might’ve left anyway, but it was said that Stan convinced them to come back.  I have no inside info and am not sure if all that went down, but it was the scuttlebutt on Scoop.

Koby was also visibly unhappy while playing next to Markus last season, so Joey’s bad body language was not an isolated incident.  Team chemistry has been a problem under Wojo.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #201 on: January 11, 2021, 03:30:22 PM »
Oh good.  We're back to rehashing this.  Some of you need to learn to move on...

You must be new here.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #202 on: January 11, 2021, 03:30:31 PM »
Oh good.  We're back to rehashing this.  Some of you need to learn to move on...

Until Wojo proves that he can consistently compete for Big East championships and win games in the postseason, some will continue to bash him for his failings as a coach, and rightfully so.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #203 on: January 11, 2021, 03:31:28 PM »
Until Wojo proves that he can consistently compete for Big East championships and win games in the postseason, some will continue to bash him for his failings as a coach, and rightfully so. with weird obsession on the same topics for years
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #204 on: January 11, 2021, 03:45:22 PM »
My understanding is that frustrations grew when Markus was allowed to go home over the summer while the rest of the team was on campus for team workouts.

The reason for him going home was never clearly communicated from the top and several guys, rightly or wrongly, saw that as preferential treatment and ignoring the team concept.

Letting him go home was the right thing to do. Also not communicating why was the right thing to do. Frankly, it was no one else's business but it is understandable why other players would question it. It's a good reminder to not assume the worst in a situation. When someone else gets something that you don't, it's not necessarily because they are getting special treatment, it's because their needs are different than yours.

To be clear Panda, I'm not attacking your post, I'm agreeing that it was a factor and lamenting the fact that it was.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

panda

• All American
« Reply #205 on: January 11, 2021, 03:55:55 PM »
Letting him go home was the right thing to do. Also not communicating why was the right thing to do. Frankly, it was no one else's business but it is understandable why other players would question it. It's a good reminder to not assume the worst in a situation. When someone else gets something that you don't, it's not necessarily because they are getting special treatment, it's because their needs are different than yours.

To be clear Panda, I'm not attacking your post, I'm agreeing that it was a factor and lamenting the fact that it was.

No hard feelings tamu. It was a warranted special circumstance that, in my opinion, required some better messaging from the top.

Much like some posters pointing to the Buffalo game like it was the exact point of the downward spiral, this instance was not remotely close to the breaking point.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #206 on: January 11, 2021, 03:59:01 PM »
It was widely speculated on here that had the Hausers not transferred, at least 2 or 3 others would have, the most likely candidates being Anim, Cain, and Bailey.  They might’ve left anyway, but it was said that Stan convinced them to come back.  I have no inside info and am not sure if all that went down, but it was the scuttlebutt on Scoop.

Koby was also visibly unhappy while playing next to Markus last season, so Joey’s bad body language was not an isolated incident.  Team chemistry has been a problem under Wojo.

Scuttlebutt on Scoop is another term for cow caca aina?

I'm not sure that team chemistry is the right phrase.  By all accounts, the team is very close, is consistently described as a family, seems to respect and get along with Wojo and the other coaches. The family environment of the team is consistently mentioned by recruits, enough that's it not a cliche but something that's viewed as a positive of the program.

I think Markus was a hard player to play with. He defies  team oriented basketball because a bad shot from Howard was better than a good shot from most of his teammates. No matter how much a player may give lip service to wanting the team to do well, all players want minutes, shots, and opportunities. Howard sucked up a lot of shots and opportunities from other players and I have to imagine that would be frustrating to teammates.
TAMU

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #207 on: January 11, 2021, 04:09:15 PM »

The question is, would other players have been allowed to go home like Markus did without repercussions in regards to their playing time and role on the team?  Would other players have been allowed to go home like Markus did, period? 

panda

• All American
« Reply #208 on: January 11, 2021, 04:12:15 PM »
The question is, would other players have been allowed to go home like Markus did without repercussions in regards to their playing time and role on the team?  Would other players have been allowed to go home like Markus did, period?

I have no problem with him going home and frankly it was the right move given the circumstances.

I take issue with the lack of messaging from the top as to why he could go home while everyone else needed to stay on campus.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #209 on: January 11, 2021, 04:14:15 PM »
I have no problem with him going home and frankly it was the right move given the circumstances.

I take issue with the lack of messaging from the top as to why he could go home while everyone else needed to stay on campus.

Well if it were related to a mental health issue, Wojo shouldn't be disclosing the reason.  The team doesn't have a right to know.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #210 on: January 11, 2021, 04:25:19 PM »

If they had the same circumstances as Markus? Absolutely.
TAMU

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #211 on: January 11, 2021, 04:37:49 PM »
Maybe the reason we talk about the Wojo issue so much is there’s nothing of substance to talk about on the basketball court anymore?

onepost

• All American
« Reply #212 on: January 11, 2021, 05:12:35 PM »

I'll take the blame for re-litigating the Sam/Joey saga, since I mentioned it in my first post on this thread.  But when the topic is Wojo's standing as our coach, are you in or out, that is 1000% relevant.

When I was informed by those who would know what went down in the days leading up to (check the receipts, I found out Masters Sunday they were gone and was the first to post here soon after)/following their transfers, I was out on Wojo.  He was a child.  His collapses that season, last season, and our current freefall only strengthen that belief.

If a pillar of coaching is building relationships and maintaining a positive culture where everyone is buying in, Wojo has failed.  The same issues continually pop up with his teams.  Then you take into account his comically lousy in-game coaching and I'm left wondering how people on this board are still bullish on him.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #213 on: January 11, 2021, 05:13:17 PM »
Maybe the reason we talk about the Wojo issue so much is there’s nothing of substance to talk about on the basketball court anymore?

^^^^^

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #214 on: January 11, 2021, 05:37:39 PM »
I'll take the blame for re-litigating the Sam/Joey saga, since I mentioned it in my first post on this thread.  But when the topic is Wojo's standing as our coach, are you in or out, that is 1000% relevant.

When I was informed by those who would know what went down in the days leading up to (check the receipts, I found out Masters Sunday they were gone and was the first to post here soon after)/following their transfers, I was out on Wojo.  He was a child.  His collapses that season, last season, and our current freefall only strengthen that belief.

If a pillar of coaching is building relationships and maintaining a positive culture where everyone is buying in, Wojo has failed.  The same issues continually pop up with his teams.  Then you take into account his comically lousy in-game coaching and I'm left wondering how people on this board are still bullish on him.

Every coach in America has transfers just about every year.  So if that isn't getting everyone to buy in, then no coach in America is succeeding at one of the pillars of coaching.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

panda

• All American
« Reply #215 on: January 11, 2021, 05:52:44 PM »

Well if it were related to a mental health issue, Wojo shouldn't be disclosing the reason.  The team doesn't have a right to know.

It was presented as, Markus is going home to work out with his family. I don’t think anyone on the team was aware of anything else beyond that and the coaching staff didn’t address anything further.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #216 on: January 11, 2021, 05:58:29 PM »
It was presented as, Markus is going home to work out with his family. I don’t think anyone on the team was aware of anything else beyond that and the coaching staff didn’t address anything further.

Ok. Again they don’t have a right to know more. Did anyone ask him directly?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #217 on: January 11, 2021, 06:04:49 PM »
Every coach in America has transfers just about every year.  So if that isn't getting everyone to buy in, then no coach in America is succeeding at one of the pillars of coaching.

Every coach has transfers.  Not every coach loses two starters from a projected top 10 team.

panda

• All American
« Reply #218 on: January 11, 2021, 06:15:59 PM »
Ok. Again they don’t have a right to know more. Did anyone ask him directly?

I’m just telling you what I know. Feel free to pm if you’d like to discuss further.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #219 on: January 11, 2021, 06:27:41 PM »
Until Wojo proves that he can consistently compete for Big East championships and win games in the postseason, some will continue to bash him for his failings as a coach, and rightfully so.

The re-hashing I'm referring to is the Hauser letter.  Too bad we never allowed discussion on this topic before  :o

It is your fault!   I've mentioned several times that I really don't feel the need to talk about wojos job status anymore.  It's been flogged to death.  There's not a single *new* argument anyone is making.

Now - sometimes people confuse my opinion as some sort of mandate because I have the fancy word "moderator" around my profile.  This is really just my opinion that I'm tired of the topics.   I've not banned or even PM'd anyone here for being a someone who doesn't like wojo (unless I think it's purely a troll account) - I just generally stay out of the discussions. 

And yes, I realize that if people  want to get it off their chest (again, and again, and again) that's essentially why we're here for.  And there hasn't been a lot of MU hoops played the past couple weeks, so we've had more of these discussions. 

So that's all to say, Go Marquette.  Tomorrow night can't come soon enough for me.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #220 on: January 11, 2021, 07:05:21 PM »

I don't know what bullish posts you are seeing but the reason some people aren't as down as you are is because they don't know what you think you know. You've told this vague story about Wojo being a child for years but not every actually happened or who your source is. Which is fine,  you don't owe us anything.

Personally,  I don't buy your version. I've heard dozens of interpretations of Hausergate, included some from people "who would know" and they combine to cast blame on Wojo, Sam,  Joey,  Markus, Stan,  Mr. Hauser, and Mrs. Hauser, hell Froling made a cameo in one. Some make it 100% on Wojo, others make it 0% on Wojo. I find both extremes unbelievable. The truth as it usually is,  is likely somewhere in the middle. There's plenty of blame to go around and the most should go to Wojo as head coach. But the version that makes the most sense to me doesn't involve Wojo acting like a child. It does involve a Hauser acting like a college student and Wojo repeatedly failing to solve a growing problem.

In the end,  you're going to believe who you're going to believe. But my guess if you were being honest,  you would acknowledge that your source was likely biased and gave you a version with elements of truth and elements of spin. Which is fine,  all sources have bias,  we're just need to account for it
TAMU

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #221 on: January 11, 2021, 07:34:58 PM »
I've heard dozens of interpretations of Hausergate, included some from people "who would know" and they combine to cast blame on Wojo, Sam,  Joey,  Markus, Stan,  Mr. Hauser, and Mrs. Hauser, hell Froling made a cameo in one.

I agree there is plenty of blame to go around. Lemme take a stab-

Wojo: Refused to rein Markus in, didn't read the locker room, cussed out a 21 year old kid when told of the transfer.
Sam: Didn't like not being the guy, tolerated it until things took a nosedive.
Joey: Immature-ass kid who checked out.
Markus: Played the way his coaches let him play.
Stan: Probably perceived as favoring MH, but that's a new one for me.
Mom and Dad: Wouldn't shut up about the way SPASH played the entire time Sam was here, like the program was UCLA under Wooden.
Froling: Dumbass who almost got kicked off the team in February of that season. Poisoned the well with Joey.

How'd I do?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 07:37:56 PM by MUfan12 »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #222 on: January 11, 2021, 07:39:45 PM »

Wojo: Refused to rein Markus in, didn't read the locker room, cussed out a 21 year old kid when told of the transfer.
Mom and Dad: Wouldn't shut up about the way SPASH played the entire time Sam was here, like the program was UCLA under Wooden.
Froling: Dumbass who almost got kicked off the team in February of that season. Poisoned the well with Joey.

How'd I do?

I forgot about Harry.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #223 on: January 11, 2021, 07:49:16 PM »

How'd I do?

Seems quite plausible to me. Markus-haters would say you forgot to mention him berating Joey, which pissed off the little boy.

Unfortunately, Joey did worse than just "check out." He killed us down the stretch. There was one game (Creighton, I want to say) he gave the ball away so easily and so often that I joked at the time the fix musta been in.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #224 on: January 11, 2021, 08:05:49 PM »

I'd love to know the truth as to what, if any impact this had. I was reading back over old articles about Joey enrolling and immediately thought "well THAT'S interesting" when I saw that Froling was Joey's roommate his first year.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback