[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Shooter McGavin
[June 14, 2024, 11:05:04 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by mug644
[June 14, 2024, 11:02:51 PM]

2024-25 Roster by El Guerrero 2
[June 14, 2024, 10:37:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: An absolute master at doing just enough to keep his job...  (Read 25790 times)

5DollarPitcher

• All American
Re: An absolute master at doing just enough to keep his job...
« Reply #150 on: January 02, 2021, 11:29:27 PM »
Got it. You're more Wolf Stansson and less Herb Brooks
Got it. Your understanding of effective coaching comes from movies.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #151 on: January 02, 2021, 11:33:14 PM »
The embarrassing part of the video was Wojo. Why not say “Sit down - this isn’t something we celebrate. We can celebrate like this when we win NCAAT games. These are building block games that we need to have a baseline expectation to win”. Instead Wojo jumps in the mosh pit like a buffoon with a sigh of relief that he might be able to ink another extension tomorrow.

There are so many legitimate things to criticize Wojo for. This sh*t just hurts your cause.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #152 on: January 02, 2021, 11:40:20 PM »
There is a reason why I stay out of the Wojo arguments.

For every reasonable poster, there are a half dozen or more clamoring to put their ignorance and pomposity on full display.

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #153 on: January 03, 2021, 12:04:57 AM »
I am really serious here:  Why do u people egg this guy on???   Ya keep feeding the damn troll ! ! !  put him on IGNORE, Don't quote him, Don't answer him and he will go away ! ! !  8-)

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #154 on: January 03, 2021, 12:26:57 AM »
I am really serious here:  Why do u people egg this guy on???   Ya keep feeding the damn troll ! ! !  put him on IGNORE, Don't quote him, Don't answer him and he will go away ! ! !  8-)
Thanks for stopping by my thread - can I get you a beer?

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #155 on: January 03, 2021, 05:02:58 AM »
A come from behind victory should be celebrated big time.  It says a lot about a team and a so-called program.

We have many self-proclaimed college experts here.   People who think themselves highly qualified to opine on coaches and the coach selection process.  These people think they have a depth of understanding beyond the rest of us.

However, they have proven themselves unable to identify a team playing with rust from the holiday vacation, a team out of sync.   A team a little out of game shape.   

This demonstration of WOJO hate has shown them for what they are.  Thanks guys for calling them out.  Amen.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #156 on: January 03, 2021, 06:19:01 AM »
A come from behind victory should be celebrated big time.  It says a lot about a team and a so-called program.

We have many self-proclaimed college experts here.   People who think themselves highly qualified to opine on coaches and the coach selection process.  These people think they have a depth of understanding beyond the rest of us.

However, they have proven themselves unable to identify a team playing with rust from the holiday vacation, a team out of sync.   A team a little out of game shape.   

This demonstration of WOJO hate has shown them for what they are.  Thanks guys for calling them out.  Amen.
"so called program". ???????????

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #157 on: January 03, 2021, 06:29:36 AM »

You forgot " tired team" Amen.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #158 on: January 03, 2021, 07:37:03 AM »
Is 5dollar 4never’s alt account?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #159 on: January 03, 2021, 07:42:32 AM »
Ners?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

OffTheGlass

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #160 on: January 03, 2021, 08:01:22 AM »
There are so many legitimate things to criticize Wojo for. This sh*t just hurts your cause.

Agreed..if anything, it’s the one thing Wojo and his staff do quite well is the relationship and bonding with players. Wojo drives me nuts too, but for a coach with a weak NCAAT resume, his staff recruits pretty damn well. His players seem to love him for the most part, and that’s not a bad thing as long as they respect him, which his halftime talk seems to have supported.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #161 on: January 03, 2021, 08:08:10 AM »
Sad day when we win and the board is as negative as when we lose.
[/
Very demoralizing to see those reactions, and takes some of the fun out of the win to read this stuff. Don’t understand the vitriol for a coach outweighing being a fan of your team and enjoying the entertainment of a comeback like that. Does it mean the team and program is where I want it to be? No, but the team had enough heart and fight in them to claw their way back a steal a W it looked like they weren’t going to get. There was some great hustle and clutch plays that showed fight and continued growth of some players. I am thankful to have MU games to watch and I am going to support the guys busting their asses in the jersey I root for. With all the other challenges in life right now, I sure as hell am not going to spew venom and be consumed with negativity after we stole a win on the road. While brutal to watch, there is almost always some level of sluggishness and ugly play coming off a break. Sometimes as fans I think people, myself included at times, can take things too personally as if the performance is a reflection of them in some fashion. Seems to be a lot of that going on here.
Can’t imagine how it would feel reading some of the stuff on here as a player, parent of a player, recruit, or yes, even a coach (though it comes with the territory and they are well compensated for it) after an exciting win.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #162 on: January 03, 2021, 08:19:56 AM »
Ners?

No Ners has talking points that make him easy to figure out.  5dollar is so over the top, that he either has no clue what he is talking about and/or is a troll.

Imagine being so obsessed with Wojo that you can't celebrate that second half.  So obsessed that you are upset that the players celebrated afterwards AND MU had the audacity to post it on their Twitter feed.

Some people need to put things in perspective.  Everybody wants to win.  Everybody wants to do better.  It may not work out in the long run, but if you can't celebrate victories why even bother with sports?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

NoLongerWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #163 on: January 03, 2021, 08:36:42 AM »
Don’t worry 5DollarPitcher, Wojo will continue to coach like a chump, this team will go nowhere, and you will be vindicated against these bandwagon slurpers.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #164 on: January 03, 2021, 08:37:46 AM »
Ewing flat out sucks as a coach, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

• All American
« Reply #165 on: January 03, 2021, 08:41:22 AM »
Ewing flat out sucks as a coach, aina?

Amen.  I would take Wojo any day of the week ahead of him.

The good news for Georgetown is that this debacle will eventually allow them to move on from the Thompson era.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #166 on: January 03, 2021, 08:42:59 AM »
Don’t worry 5DollarPitcher, Wojo will continue to coach like a chump, this team will go nowhere, and you will be vindicated against these bandwagon slurpers.

Actually most don't see a bright future for Wojo at MU.  But bitching because they celebrated after the win is really dumb.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #167 on: January 03, 2021, 08:45:09 AM »
This is where a school falls in love with an alum and deduces he/she can coach because they were terrific college players and therefore loyal to the program, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #168 on: January 03, 2021, 08:54:09 AM »
Halftime: “This team looks uninterested. Even they’ve figured out their coach is a dope.”

After coming back from 18 down to win on the road: “What an embarrassment the team mobbed Wojo in the locker room.”
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

• All American
« Reply #169 on: January 03, 2021, 08:58:36 AM »
This is where a school falls in love with an alum and deduces he/she can coach because they were terrific college players and therefore loyal to the program, hey?

Well he was a longtime NBA assistant who was thought of pretty highly and was mentioned for head coaching gigs.

But in retrospect, there was likely a reason he was a longtime assistant.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #170 on: January 03, 2021, 09:13:21 AM »
Think about it, isn't just about everyone a flyer until they are really a head coach at the level they will be coaching at?

Maybe Wojo is a master at keeping his job.  Got to give him credit about being brilliant at something.
A much better than average recruiter and ability to get high level transfers.
A fair game coach although we can hope he can continue to improve.
An excellent coach to represent the university.
A very good coach to keep the team a close family and unified when there is a bunch of noise outside.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #171 on: January 03, 2021, 09:22:25 AM »
The only thing more embarrassing than how unprepared we looked in the first half is MUScoop. Had all these sarcastic posts about how great it’ll be to see the excellent adjustments Wojo makes down 16 at half. Then come back and win by 4 and Wojo made no adjustments it’s just Pat Ewing sucks. Our first half can suck, GTown can suck, and we can have played really hard in the second half. We got a road win while playing terrible basketball for 30 minutes.

It's true, there were some posts about adjustments, one of which was mine. As nyg pointed out, there were adjustments. They started going to the hoop and cutting down on last-second heaves from downtown. OK, maybe not genius, but  a tactical change for sure - and Wojo gets the credit.
You can't be ragging on a guy when things are going badly and then ignore his input when things change/improve.

As for the win coming because of GT's incompetence, there may be a kernel of truth in the argument, but to chalk the result up to only that is to denigrate the kids' effort and the coach's
direction. GT's miscues down the stretch may very likely be at least partly due to the fact that our team's hard work and the adjustments made by the staff erased a sizeable lead and made things tight.

I find it incomprehensible that people would bad-mouth the team for celebrating a victory. I was certainly happy to see us pull it out, but I'm just a fan who gets to see MU ball 20-30 times a year. Think of all the man-hours that get put into the program by these young men. Training, practices, study halls, film work. They are a well-defined group and spend a lot of time together.
That's true every year, but more so this year given Covid. They've made sacrifices to give up a lot of other social contact to put in the hard work so we have basketball this year. They deserve to celebrate each and every win.

Personally, I don't feel that Wojo has demonstrated satisfactory progress in his developmental curve as a head coach. There seems to have been some progress, but slowly, slowly. The BOT is apparently happy, and carping posters will not have any significant input. I wish him success be-cause I want success for MU, but it's hard to argue that this thread is not aptly named.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #172 on: January 03, 2021, 09:25:59 AM »
Y'all, the first half wasn't the result of bad coaching. We got open looks,  we didn't make them. The defense wasn't great but it was passable. We adjusted at half time,  started going inside every possession,  clamped down on defense and won the game. Is it an impressive win?  unnatural carnal knowledge no. But it's hardly a condemnation of Wojo. Oklahoma state was a condemnation of Wojo. Villanova was a condemnation of Wojo. This was just a game.

Believe it or not,  not every bad performance is due to poor coaching. Unless you believe Wojo should be on the court taking the shots.
While I agree we missed some makeable shots, we did not get a ton of good looks in the first half.  Standing around while one guy dribbled and letting the clock run.  We really attacked the hoop in the last 10-12 minutes and that opened everything up and got us in a better flow.  I think ball movement needs to be better for this team.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

• All American
« Reply #173 on: January 03, 2021, 09:27:14 AM »
It's true, there were some posts about adjustments, one of which was mine. As nyg pointed out, there were adjustments. They started going to the hoop and cutting down on last-second heaves from downtown. OK, maybe not genius, but  a tactical change for sure - and Wojo gets the credit.
You can't be ragging on a guy when things are going badly and then ignore his input when things change/improve.

As for the win coming because of GT's incompetence, there may be a kernel of truth in the argument, but to chalk the result up to only that is to denigrate the kids' effort and the coach's
direction. GT's miscues down the stretch may very likely be at least partly due to the fact that our team's hard work and the adjustments made by the staff erased a sizeable lead and made things tight.

I find it incomprehensible that people would bad-mouth the team for celebrating a victory. I was certainly happy to see us pull it out, but I'm just a fan who gets to see MU ball 20-30 times a year. Think of all the man-hours that get put into the program by these young men. Training, practices, study halls, film work. They are a well-defined group and spend a lot of time together.
That's true every year, but more so this year given Covid. They've made sacrifices to give up a lot of other social contact to put in the hard work so we have basketball this year. They deserve to celebrate each and every win.

Personally, I don't feel that Wojo has demonstrated satisfactory progress in his developmental curve as a head coach. There seems to have been some progress, but slowly, slowly. The BOT is apparently happy, and carping posters will not have any significant input. I wish him success be-cause I want success for MU, but it's hard to argue that this thread is not aptly named.

This is really an excellent post.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #174 on: January 03, 2021, 09:29:50 AM »
https://twitter.com/marquettembb/status/1345565985613488131?s=21

Seeing the team celebrate like this after beating Georgetown is just a sad, sad indictment on where the program is at.
I look at is as being really happy for pulling out a game they had no right to win after a dismal 30 minutes of basketball.  More fun to pull a game like that out than to win coast to coast by 20.  Life is too short not to celebrate the positive. 

I'm not terribly happy with how they played, but I was very happy that they pulled it out (or that Georgetown gave us the game back, if you prefer).
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.