[Today at 09:13:49 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Lennys Tap
[Today at 07:56:17 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: England Strain  (Read 9261 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: England Strain
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2021, 04:52:33 PM »
I though naming viruses feom the origin point was racist?

It certainly is when you have racist intent.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2021, 04:59:49 PM »
I though naming viruses feom the origin point was racist?

These aren't different virus', they're different strains.  The initial strain of sars-cov-2 / covid-19 was from Wuhan/China. So the virus is sars-cov-2 / covid-19 , and the first strain we knew of was the Wuhan strain.  But the virus is still covid-19.

But you know all that, you're just trying to defend the indefensible.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2021, 05:17:44 PM »
Passive aggressive trolling aside, the country naming of mutations is not very accurate since all countries are not doing surveillance.  They could come from anywhere. I understand why early on people identify it with a place (as also we did with China until the virus was named).

No one is using the term to say it’s the UKs fault and more and more the common convention when referenced is the letter and number of the mutation (as it should be). 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2021, 05:28:08 PM »
Passive aggressive trolling aside, the country naming of mutations is not very accurate since all countries are not doing surveillance.  They could come from anywhere. I understand why early on people identify it with a place (as also we did with China until the virus was named).

No one is using the term to say it’s the UKs fault and more and more the common convention when referenced is the letter and number of the mutation (as it should be).

Right. Unlike when Trump was using “China virus” after it already had its name to try to blame his failure to lead us through the pandemic on China (also after thanking President Xi, on behalf of the American people, for their great job in handling the virus), nobody using “British strain” is blaming Brittin for letting it spread throughout the USA. Nobody is filling Yelp reviews of British restaurants throughout the USA with racist epithets. Nobody is threatening British people because they brought the virus over.

But like always, Ziggy thinks the things are the same. Or his faux outrage will lead the meat eaters to join in on the faux outrage somewhere down the line.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2021, 06:23:21 PM »
I made my post  because  it was referred to as a Japanese strain when it came from Brazil.  I suppose if there are serious variants, they have to be described in a shorthand way somehow.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2021, 07:26:47 PM »
I made my post  because  it was referred to as a Japanese strain when it came from Brazil.  I suppose if there are serious variants, they have to be described in a shorthand way somehow.

The UK strain is likely not from the UK, they just have good testing and detected it there so it's the UK strain. Badge of honor, honestly.

The US isn't catching any new strains/mutations because our testing sucks donkey butt - https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/28/us-can-miss-covid-strain-because-the-holes-in-our-net-are-too-wide.html

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2021, 08:45:49 PM »
JFC, lighten up.  It was a joke.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2021, 09:35:11 PM »

Hilarious.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2021, 09:34:54 AM »

Jokes usually require humor.  8-)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2021, 05:17:32 PM »
I have to say that this chart makes the new mutation look pretty frightening.

https://twitter.com/drtomfrieden/status/1348761507480416257?s=21

However WHO leader thinks it’s more behavioral (he’s from Ireland)

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-surge-due-to-increased-social-mixing-says-who-s-mike-ryan-1.4455748
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 05:21:02 PM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2021, 06:18:38 PM »
I have to say that this chart makes the new mutation look pretty frightening.

https://twitter.com/drtomfrieden/status/1348761507480416257?s=21

However WHO leader thinks it’s more behavioral (he’s from Ireland)

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-surge-due-to-increased-social-mixing-says-who-s-mike-ryan-1.4455748

I would love to think he’s right about the behavioral explanation, but the dramatic spike occurred not terribly long after the new strain was discovered. And more sociable behavior in the UK also wouldn’t explain why the numbers were flat there for so long.

Now that the strain has been detected in a number of states, it will be interesting to see what happens over the next several weeks.

feedback