[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Marquette Football Update by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: England Strain  (Read 9282 times)

real chili 83

• All American
Re: England Strain
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2021, 12:35:21 PM »
I fully realize that this is bait, but I'll continue because it will be fun.

That is where it was version of Covid19 was detected, so yes, it is an English variant of the virus.

But golly, that’s not what you said. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2021, 01:00:19 PM »
Datz racist, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2021, 01:01:56 PM »
England’s fault.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2021, 01:12:54 PM »
My ancestors came mostly from England.

This won't get me deported, will it?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2021, 01:14:43 PM »
Probably knot under da Harris administration, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2021, 01:25:43 PM »
My ancestors came mostly from England.

This won't get me deported, will it?

I’d be looking over my shoulder on Jan 21st if I were you.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2021, 01:34:20 PM »
Probably knot under da Harris administration, aina?
Yawn. 

We should be so lucky.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2021, 03:51:59 PM »
Datz racist, aina?

Yes, it is.  Queen Liz is kinda pissed.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2021, 03:59:33 PM »

Lilibet
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2021, 05:31:16 PM »

And she's a tough one. Been running roughshod over the line of succession for decades....

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2021, 11:33:25 PM »
You guys are so predictable. lol

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2021, 09:53:25 AM »
Seriously, the epidemiology of this strain looks frightening. England has had some pretty strong closures and lockdowns, but the number of new cases is skyrocketing. Even if the severity is comparable to the current strain, the number of new cases could absolutely devastate healthcare systems here if it spreads at a similar rate.

And it has been detected, among other states, in California…the absolute last place where we need to strain the healthcare system further

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2021, 09:57:12 AM »
Seriously, the epidemiology of this strain looks frightening. England has had some pretty strong closures and lockdowns, but the number of new cases is skyrocketing. Even if the severity is comparable to the current strain, the number of new cases could absolutely devastate healthcare systems here if it spreads at a similar rate.

And it has been detected, among other states, in California…the absolute last place where we need to strain the healthcare system further

Do we know how prevalent this mutation is in the US?  I know it has been 'discovered' in those places, but I was reading that we don't really do surveillance on this like the UK and some other countries do.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2021, 10:08:01 AM »
Do we know how prevalent this mutation is in the US?  I know it has been 'discovered' in those places, but I was reading that we don't really do surveillance on this like the UK and some other countries do.

No, we don’t. We haven’t been doing DNA ‘fingerprinting’ on very many samples, so it’s hard to tell how prevalent it already is. That being said, now that it is here, the evidence indicates that it will spread much more quickly than the previous strain.

And since England’s numbers have been going up much more dramatically than ours even though they have more strict measures, one can only surmise that it is just getting started here. An assumption to be sure, but it seems sound based on the numbers.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2021, 11:20:05 AM »
Scotland announced today that everyone is at a stay at home order through the end of January.  A lot of talk that Boris Johnson is going to announce the same for England this evening.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-55531069
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2021, 12:33:59 PM »
Scotland announced today that everyone is at a stay at home order through the end of January.  A lot of talk that Boris Johnson is going to announce the same for England this evening.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-55531069

I was watching BBC World News last night, and they showed part of Johnson's press conference from earlier in the day. His tone was notably more somber than it has been throughout the pandemic. A lot of 'worst is yet to come' stuff. :(

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2021, 04:35:37 PM »
Now found in NY, on top of previous reports in CO, CA and FL.

The most heavily-populated areas in the country + a more contagious strain = going from bad to worse.

:(

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2021, 04:46:58 PM »
No, we don’t. We haven’t been doing DNA ‘fingerprinting’ on very many samples, so it’s hard to tell how prevalent it already is. That being said, now that it is here, the evidence indicates that it will spread much more quickly than the previous strain.

And since England’s numbers have been going up much more dramatically than ours even though they have more strict measures, one can only surmise that it is just getting started here. An assumption to be sure, but it seems sound based on the numbers.

It's pretty embarrassing how far behind the rest of the world we are on things like this.

At this point if a new terrible strain (or new virus) showed up in the US, we wouldn't even know until another country figured out it spread there.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2021, 04:54:33 PM »
Now found in NY, on top of previous reports in CO, CA and FL.

The most heavily-populated areas in the country + a more contagious strain = going from bad to worse.

:(

It could be completely wrong, but my hypothesis is that this is already a large number of our cases.  To Forgetful's point, we may have exported it for all we know.

If my tinfoil hat conspiracy is wrong, you are right that its going to get worse....

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2021, 07:13:51 PM »
It could be completely wrong, but my hypothesis is that this is already a large number of our cases.  To Forgetful's point, we may have exported it for all we know.

If my tinfoil hat conspiracy is wrong, you are right that its going to get worse....

It certainly is more prevalent than the handful of cases we have detected. Just another thing the US is behind on.

But is it a large number? I’d bet against it because the trajectory of new cases in the UK has gone up dramatically faster than it has gone up here. I hope I am wrong.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2021, 07:28:05 PM »

Has there been any info/findings on antibodies related to this new strain? As I mentioned in another thread, my GF had COVID in early July and just got an antibody test last month that showed both IgM and IgG antibodies, implying that she had another COVID infection in the last 6-8 weeks prior to that test (likely when I had my asymptomatic infection that gave me antibodies). I wonder if perhaps the new strain could be the reasoning for it. But that’s a largely unfounded speculation

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2021, 07:10:52 AM »
Natural immunity can successfully fight the new mutation. 

https://twitter.com/erictopol/status/1348027161681092608?s=21

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2021, 01:18:07 PM »
https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Coronavirus/Japan-finds-new-COVID-virus-strain-distinct-from-UK-and-Africa-types

Japan strain (found in new arrivals from Brazil) is different from both the England and Africa strains.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2021, 04:00:31 PM »
Shouldn’t it be the Brazil strain then?
In the article, it also references that at least two people picked up the British strain after dining with a person who was supposed to be in quarantine after returning from the UK, but instead dined with ten people. They should do like Australia and NZ-you quarantine in a designated hotel, to stop you from doing things exactly like this guy did.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2021, 04:09:06 PM »
I though naming viruses feom the origin point was racist?

feedback