collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA Thread 2020-21  (Read 191373 times)

GB Warrior

• All American
Re: NBA Thread 2020-21
« Reply #1725 on: June 28, 2021, 09:43:09 AM »
The Suns are a terrible matchup for the Bucks.  I think they’d rather see the Clippers if they get that far.  As a fan, an NBA Finals against either doesn’t matter to me because I never thought I’d see it.  Beat the Hawks first and let the chips fall where they may

Yeah, they are tough and deep in the areas that can cause the Bucks headaches. Jae and Bridges are x-factors.

These two teams are capable of delivering the series we thought we were getting with Bucks-Nets

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1726 on: June 28, 2021, 10:07:56 AM »
Do you think the Bucks should win the chip based on their talent level vs the remaining teams?  It hard to disagree they are capable of meltdowns.

I think the Bucks most likely lose to PHX in 5 or 6. If LAC gets through the Bucks have a good shot.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1727 on: June 28, 2021, 11:54:34 AM »
Bucks would handle the Clippers pretty easily. Phoenix is an awful matchup, but based on both regular season games, would be an insanely competitive series.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1728 on: June 28, 2021, 11:57:58 AM »

I don't pay too much attention to Shaq or Chuck when they talk about basketball strategy.  Usually they go back to their 90s era thinking where isolations ruled and stars were the ones who isolated.

He said NBA radio, not NBA on TNT.

Chuck has been pretty favorable towards the Bucks for awhile.

Shaq has moments where he's actually a very good analyst.  But too often he gets caught up in the banter with Chuck or being a wily old veteran talking to youths and loses the plot.  The former is way more easy and fun, and the latter is something that I think a lot of former stars have to actively fight against when talking the current game.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1729 on: June 28, 2021, 12:02:54 PM »
I thought Chuck has had some pretty good insights about Giannis and how he needs to stop shooting 3s. Their analysis isn’t very deep, but entertaining.

Also, it’s way better than when they make them try to talk about College Basketball.

Other than Marv/Reggie, my least favorite part of the coverage was all the awful Space Jam previews. The first is a classic (biased nostalgia). This one looks pretty bad.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1730 on: June 28, 2021, 03:24:42 PM »
He said NBA radio, not NBA on TNT.

Radio, TV - what’s the difference, what’s the big deal.

Watch out, Sultan will call you pedantic, lol.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1731 on: June 28, 2021, 03:59:14 PM »
Radio, TV - what’s the difference, what’s the big deal.

Watch out, Sultan will call you pedantic, lol.

Chicos has something to scream into the void.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1732 on: June 28, 2021, 09:34:50 PM »
Jackson and Van Gundy were talking about Paul George not doing enough for the Clippers in the first half. Breen offered that George had 11 points, 4 rebounds and 4 assists. Jackson said that stats can be misleading and that somebody with 2 points can have more impact than someone with 20. And Van Gundy said that sometimes you just have to trust your eyes, and his eyes say George needs to do more.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1733 on: June 28, 2021, 09:35:27 PM »
Jae back into one of his can't hit water if he fell out of a boat stretches. Hopefully means he will get back on a hot streak for the finals.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1734 on: June 28, 2021, 09:59:23 PM »
Wow … George was tremendous in the third quarter.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1735 on: June 28, 2021, 10:04:29 PM »
Jackson and Van Gundy were talking about Paul George not doing enough for the Clippers in the first half. Breen offered that George had 11 points, 4 rebounds and 4 assists. Jackson said that stats can be misleading and that somebody with 2 points can have more impact than someone with 20. And Van Gundy said that sometimes you just have to trust your eyes, and his eyes say George needs to do more.

How bad in general is ESPN with their coverage of the NBA?  From their announcers, pre/post-game analysts, SAS, etc?  Minus Tim Legler and Breen is their anyone there involved with the NBA that is remotely decent at their job?  I know I am biased but I'm asking this with all seriousness.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1736 on: June 28, 2021, 10:25:18 PM »
Dumb play by Crowder.  Heck of a win for the Clippers.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1737 on: June 28, 2021, 10:44:52 PM »
Playoff P
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1738 on: June 28, 2021, 10:45:48 PM »
How bad in general is ESPN with their coverage of the NBA?  From their announcers, pre/post-game analysts, SAS, etc?  Minus Tim Legler and Breen is their anyone there involved with the NBA that is remotely decent at their job?  I know I am biased but I'm asking this with all seriousness.

Agreed. Bremen and Legler are excellent. No one else rates as even good.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1739 on: June 29, 2021, 12:35:01 AM »

Doris Burke is still very good.  He loses the plot and rambles sometimes but Van Gundy overall can be a very good analyst.

Not sure why they don’t move Maria Taylor to a more prominent hosting role with the NBA in the playoffs

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1740 on: June 29, 2021, 07:33:07 AM »
The problem is that Van Gundy oftentimes does a schtick instead of analyzing.  And its really annoying.  Breen is great.  I think their studio is improving.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1741 on: June 29, 2021, 07:57:26 AM »
Doris Burke is still very good.  He loses the plot and rambles sometimes but Van Gundy overall can be a very good analyst.

Not sure why they don’t move Maria Taylor to a more prominent hosting role with the NBA in the playoffs

Oh God.  I think Burke is absolutely terrible.  And the only person worse is Mark Jones, so putting those two together makes it so hard for me to watch when they're on the call.

I love Van Gundy.  He's great and usually calls it like it is.  Breen is great.  Jackson works well with Van Gundy.  I love when they have the call.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1742 on: June 29, 2021, 08:37:30 AM »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1743 on: June 29, 2021, 09:03:24 AM »
I forgot about Hubie Brown.  Hard not to like that guy.  I remember Jack Ramsay was great back in the day on radio.  He loved vintage Wade.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1744 on: June 29, 2021, 10:41:04 AM »
Oh God.  I think Burke is absolutely terrible.  And the only person worse is Mark Jones, so putting those two together makes it so hard for me to watch when they're on the call.

I think she is game and PBP partner dependent.  Sometimes she's great, sometimes she's not so good.  Mark Jones stinks tho, you wont get any argument there.

I forgot about Hubie Brown.  Hard not to like that guy.  I remember Jack Ramsay was great back in the day on radio.  He loved vintage Wade.

Hubie Brown used to be great.  But he's almost 90 and has lost a lot of steps.  He's prone to making comments and observations that are just like "wtf?!" and getting players wrong, etc...  He's a legend and used to be fantastic, but as we've said before when talking about Marv Albert, they just leave a lot of these guys on the air for far too long.

• All American
« Reply #1745 on: June 29, 2021, 10:44:03 AM »
Dick Stockton was still doing NFL games last season.

There are so many good, quality voices out there.  Why the networks stick with guys too long is amazing to me.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1746 on: June 29, 2021, 11:04:42 AM »
Does Ian Eagle ever do national broadcasts for the NBA?  I know he does the NCAA Tournament and NFL games, and I believe he's still the Nets' TV play by play guy.  But he should be doing NBA Playoff games.

Brian Anderson does earlier rounds for TNT, right?  He does a good enough job.  Would love to see Eagle, Anderson, Breen, and Harlan be the main play by play guys for the NBA Playoffs.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1747 on: June 29, 2021, 11:12:25 AM »
Does Ian Eagle ever do national broadcasts for the NBA?  I know he does the NCAA Tournament and NFL games, and I believe he's still the Nets' TV play by play guy.  But he should be doing NBA Playoff games.

Brian Anderson does earlier rounds for TNT, right?  He does a good enough job.  Would love to see Eagle, Anderson, Breen, and Harlan be the main play by play guys for the NBA Playoffs.

Ian Eagle is the best play by play man for both pro/college hoops and football on TV.  By far imo.  I believe he works for TNT.  His son is also excellent on the Clippers Radio Network.  I love Kevin Harlan as well but Eagle is always fantastic.  He is better prepared than anyone and knows hoops.

• All American
« Reply #1748 on: June 29, 2021, 11:13:01 AM »
nm  Muggs answered.

I prefer Harlan though.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1749 on: June 29, 2021, 11:14:11 AM »
I think she is game and PBP partner dependent.  Sometimes she's great, sometimes she's not so good.  Mark Jones stinks tho, you wont get any argument there.

Hubie Brown used to be great.  But he's almost 90 and has lost a lot of steps.  He's prone to making comments and observations that are just like "wtf?!" and getting players wrong, etc...  He's a legend and used to be fantastic, but as we've said before when talking about Marv Albert, they just leave a lot of these guys on the air for far too long.

Fair Point JWags.  Marv is s complete disaster right now.  It's actually totally unacceptable despite the fact that he's retiring.

feedback