collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA Thread 2020-21  (Read 185763 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: NBA Thread 2020-21
« Reply #300 on: February 10, 2021, 02:53:32 PM »
NBA mandates the playing of the anthem before games, Mavs will comply.

Now THAT is political correctness.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #301 on: February 10, 2021, 03:19:46 PM »
If one segment of society feels alienated and angry about hearing the national anthem,  and another segment feels the exact opposite, what exactly is the solution?  Make a decision based on which action hemorrhages less money? 

And I'm curious to know if American basketball players kneel or stand in other countries for their national anthems if they are played?   I hate to break it to you but wokeness and cancel culture is  not moving our country towards unity or less prejudice of all kinds.  It's having the exact opposite effect. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #302 on: February 10, 2021, 03:34:58 PM »
If one segment of society feels alienated and angry about hearing the national anthem,  and another segment feels the exact opposite, what exactly is the solution?  Make a decision based on which action hemorrhages less money? 

And I'm curious to know if American basketball players kneel or stand in other countries for their national anthems if they are played?   I hate to break it to you but wokeness and cancel culture is  not moving our country towards unity or less prejudice of all kinds.  It's having the exact opposite effect. 

The national anthem is rarely played before sporting events in most countries outside the U.S. and Canada.  It is pretty much a uniquely American tradition.

And I hate to break it to you Muggs, but mindless nationalism isn't moving our country toward unity either.  Playing the national anthem prior to a sporting event serves no purpose.  It's been politicized and used as a litmus test for "loving your country" and then wielded like a hammer.

For instance, who has been a victim of "cancel culture" more than Colin Kaepernick?  Funny because I never saw conservatives up in arms about him being "cancelled" at the time.  I wonder why???
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #303 on: February 10, 2021, 03:56:20 PM »
Last I checked players were ordered to stand for the nat.anthem in China.  Not all forms of nationslism are mindless.  I honestly don't care about the anthem per se but we're basically at a point where if you don't agree with one point of view or the other you are labeled the worst on both sides.  It's absurd and leads to further division. 

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #304 on: February 10, 2021, 04:05:39 PM »
MU could play Radiohead for the starting lineups and fulfill the “National Anthem” requirement. Just saying...

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #305 on: February 10, 2021, 04:48:14 PM »
Last I checked players were ordered to stand for the nat.anthem in China.  Not all forms of nationslism are mindless.  I honestly don't care about the anthem per se but we're basically at a point where if you don't agree with one point of view or the other you are labeled the worst on both sides.  It's absurd and leads to further division.

I'm not so sure China is the best example of the unifying benefits of requiring players to stand for the national anthem.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #306 on: February 10, 2021, 04:49:36 PM »
MU could play Radiohead for the starting lineups and fulfill the “National Anthem” requirement. Just saying...

How about Hendrix from Woodstock? Hell, I'd be thrilled to stand through that.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #307 on: February 10, 2021, 05:35:42 PM »
Most would agree that the two greatest national anthems ever sung were by Marvin Gaye and Whitney Houston.  Maybe they should be played before games?

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #308 on: February 10, 2021, 05:45:44 PM »
Most would agree that the two greatest national anthems ever sung were by Marvin Gaye and Whitney Houston.  Maybe they should be played before games?

Whitney Houston recorded her version in a studio then lipsynced it at the Super Bowl. It gets an asterisk.

Besides, nobody beats Carl Lewis' rendition.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #309 on: February 10, 2021, 05:46:19 PM »
Jim Cornelison.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #310 on: February 10, 2021, 05:56:00 PM »
Whitney Houston recorded her version in a studio then lipsynced it at the Super Bowl. It gets an asterisk.

Besides, nobody beats Carl Lewis' rendition.

Ha!

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #311 on: February 10, 2021, 11:41:33 PM »
Bucks second half meltdown is one thing. But down 1 with 2.5 left, you draw up a play that is either Giannis in the lane or him having to pull up for a long jumper? Good lord. How that wasn’t a curl play or double screen for a Middleton jumper I’ll never know

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #312 on: February 10, 2021, 11:42:52 PM »
Bucks second half meltdown is one thing. But down 1 with 2.5 left, you draw up a play that is either Giannis in the lane or him having to pull up for a long jumper? Good lord. How that wasn’t a curl play or double screen for a Middleton jumper I’ll never know

Just saw that.  Strange decision by Budenholzer.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #313 on: February 11, 2021, 06:29:05 AM »

And I'm curious to know if American basketball players kneel or stand in other countries for their national anthems if they are played?  I hate to break it to you but wokeness and cancel culture is  not moving our country towards unity or less prejudice of all kinds.  It's having the exact opposite effect.

Gotta drag the old farts and racists toward progress.  Otherwise, maybe we should have kept slavery, Jim Crow laws, never given women the right to vote.

Wokeness is such a stupid term.  Treat people how they want to be treated, not how you think they should be treated.  That should be your only rule.  The 'cancel culture is bad' narrative is being used for everything.  Should Morgan Wallen be cancelled?  What does that even mean?  He was dropped from his label, and only made more money because of it.  He should remain 'cancelled' as long as he doesn't admit his mistakes and try to fix them.  That is all the left is ever really asking for.   Instead, we have a culture where admitting you are wrong, or have learned something is impossible. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #314 on: February 11, 2021, 06:43:24 AM »

Not only that, but how almost every coach in the NBA talks about starting and ending quarters strong and then there’s Bud who ends at least one of the first three quarters (and usually the first and third quarters) with 4 backups and one starter on the court seeing their team net a negative 10 points every night is beyond me. Last night you’re up 11 with about 2:30 left in the third and leave a lineup of Pat C, DJ Augustin, Bobby Portis, Tory Craig, and Middleton out there to give up an 11-2 run to cut the lead to 2 and now you’re in a battle in the fourth and have given the Suns all the momentum. No surprise that the Suns then come out and hit back to back 3s to push the run to 17-2 and now you’re playing catch-up after having led by double digits most of the night.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #315 on: February 11, 2021, 07:02:21 AM »
Nah man, ya kant give up 125 pts every nite. Da elefant inda room iz Bud tinks out scorin' teems iz da wey ta wynn in da Association. Let it flie, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #316 on: February 11, 2021, 07:56:17 AM »
Nah man, ya kant give up 125 pts every nite. Da elefant inda room iz Bud tinks out scorin' teems iz da wey ta wynn in da Association. Let it flie, aina?

They've been a lot better since the losses to the Pelicans and Hornets on consecutive nights.  They've been switching up their coverages defensively a lot more.  I think Jrue is getting Bud to change some things.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #317 on: February 15, 2021, 09:16:35 AM »
Getting a 2002 vibe from this Bucks team. They just look disjointed and disinterested.

The guard depth is a huge problem, as we're seeing with Jrue out. Almost 12 million combined to Augustin and Connaughton, who have both been bad.

• All American
« Reply #318 on: February 15, 2021, 09:24:41 AM »
They are going to need a new voice in the locker room after this year.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #319 on: February 15, 2021, 09:38:18 AM »
I thought you refuted my statement a month ago that Bud's ass was not getting warmer, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

• All American
« Reply #320 on: February 15, 2021, 09:46:49 AM »
I thought you refuted my statement a month ago that Bud's ass was not getting warmer, hey?

I actually think I agreed with you.

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=61039.msg1303387#msg1303387

MU82

• All American
« Reply #321 on: February 15, 2021, 09:55:21 AM »
I'm not a Bucks fan, so I don't follow news/opinions on them closely. But weren't most Scoopers who are Bucks fans actually pretty bullish on Bud? That's what I seem to recall, but I absolutely allow that I could be wrong about that.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #322 on: February 15, 2021, 10:01:16 AM »
I don't pretend to know how this could be done, but the Bucks have to move away from Lopez. Also, need another scorer, preferably at the 2 guard, hey? As their team is constituted now, they are at best, behind the Nets and '6ers, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #323 on: February 15, 2021, 10:01:35 AM »
I'm not a Bucks fan, so I don't follow news/opinions on them closely. But weren't most Scoopers who are Bucks fans actually pretty bullish on Bud? That's what I seem to recall, but I absolutely allow that I could be wrong about that.

He accelerated the organization by 2 years.  But he's plateaued where he plateaued in Atlanta.  He was the right hire, but he's not going to be the guy that gets them to the Finals.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #324 on: February 15, 2021, 10:04:22 AM »
I don't pretend to know how this could be done, but the Bucks have to move away from Lopez. Also, need another scorer, preferably at the 2 guard, hey? As their team is constituted now, they are at best, behind the Nets and '6ers, hey?

The Bucks are better than the 76ers.  The 76ers' schedule has been incredibly weak.  And their offense isn't the issue.  It's really the defensive scheme and fundamentals more than anything.  The fact that they train their wings to get airborn when closing out to a perimeter shooter is...not ideal.  And then the scheme itself is laughable, and then they start to try to adjust on the fly because it isn't working and they look like chickens with their head cut off.

I'm just hoping they're working out a deal with Jrue while he's out.  It's very clear how important he is to this team.  If he were to walk this offseason, that's a major issue.