[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 02:30:34 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Next season should be a hell of season.  (Read 4804 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
Next season should be a hell of season.
« on: December 05, 2020, 06:03:07 AM »
We should all have been vaccinated if one chose to do so by this time next year, so I would expect all fans to attend the games. I would also expect that many players will opt to come back and play. The competition will be that much better. A rematch next season between MU and UW will most likely be between the same two teams. Who would be the most likely players not to return next season on either team? I know this may be an end of season discussion but after the game last night I just wondered how exciting next season is going to be; no fake crowds, real crowds. That was the only thing missing at last nights game.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Next season should be a hell of season.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 06:18:37 AM »
Any of the Badgers could decide to leave if they're happy with a degree & want to get on with life, but I can see all of them returning. The only one that looked anything like a future NBA player was Davis, who'll still be at least a year away. It will be interesting to see how Gard handles his roster with 5 current freshmen and 3 incoming. Do you keep the 6 seniors all around, who (along with Wahl) basically insure no more than 1-2 of your 8 underclassmen get PT?

On the other side, I could see a few departures. Theo, Jamal, & Koby will all have pro options if they choose to go. DJ was supposedly considering the NBA Draft if his waiver was declined, while a FOY season from Garcia or Lewis could have either considering their options.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 06:27:38 AM »
Most of Bucky’s team is seniors ... Reuvers, Potter, Trice and Davidson. They will not be the same.

Koby, Theo and Cain are Seniors.  Someone will transfer (they always do) and would not shock if a player like Garcia tries to move to the next level.

And I have not addressed incoming recruits for both teams.

So, the uniforms will say MU and Bucky but the personnel will be very different

Win now, get the vaccine now, pack Fiserv at the end of the season
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 06:29:08 AM »
Most of Bucky’s team is seniors ... Reuvers, Potter, Trice and Davidson. They will not be the same.

You realize all of them are eligible to return for a fifth season and as noted on the broadcast, many are already taking their graduate classes, right?

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 06:37:15 AM »
You realize all of them are eligible to return for a fifth season and as noted on the broadcast, many are already taking their graduate classes, right?

No I did not ... does that apply to our seniors too?
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 06:39:08 AM »

Yes.  IMO this is the primary reason why they sought a waiver for Perez.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/30116895/ncaa-grants-extra-year-eligibility-all-winter-sport-athletes
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2020, 06:40:50 AM »

Yes, it actually applies to every player in the country this year. Anyone playing this season will be able to get an extra year of eligibility because of the uncertainty around COVID. That's why Perez applied for his waiver, because why not, he's got 3 years to play now anyway. So Wisconsin could run it back again with the same super-senior starting five.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2020, 07:39:47 AM »
The general vibe I have gotten is that most high-major seniors will not take advantage of the extra COVID year. I think every senior on both MU and UW will have legitimate pro options (overseas) and most will not delay a year of income for another year of school. That being said, it sounded like several of Bucky's seniors had already graduated and were working on graduate degrees. If they only have a year left before getting a masters, I could see some deciding to stay.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2020, 07:56:39 AM »
Keep in mind universities may not want the players to come back because they aren't going to pay for all the new players plus the old players. The roster caps are lifted but they still have to pay for anyone on scholarship.. There will be a lot less players staying an extra year than people think IMO
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

TheGym

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2020, 08:56:32 AM »
Keep in mind universities may not want the players to come back because they aren't going to pay for all the new players plus the old players. The roster caps are lifted but they still have to pay for anyone on scholarship.. There will be a lot less players staying an extra year than people think IMO

Are they changing the scholarship limit or is team still limited to 13 scholarship players?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2020, 09:00:34 AM »

I don't know enough of the financial ins and outs, but I agree that there will not be as many 22- and 23-year-olds sticking around college as people think.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2020, 09:04:38 AM »
Are they changing the scholarship limit or is team still limited to 13 scholarship players?

They basically get a free pass to go over the limit based on the number of potentially returning seniors they have. So as I understand it, you would be allowed 13 freshman-senior scholarships & allowed any 5th year seniors as additional scholarships you can award.

Marquette next year could go up to 16 scholarships: 13 for players on the standard schedule, then additional for Koby, Theo, and Jamal. The year after that it would be 14 (13 + 5th year Greg). It would fluctuate until this freshman class is done (back to 16 when Garcia, Lewis, & Ighodaro are 5th year players).

You can only go over for players that are on roster at the time. If someone transfers, they still get an extra year but they have to be applied to the under-13 scholarships.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2020, 09:09:13 AM »

Agreed. Plenty of players who want to stay an extra year may find that the feeling ain't mutual.
I imagine a lot of schools aren't going to want to risk their incoming freshmen or rising sophomores bailing because the seniors they thought they would be replacing are instead sticking around another year.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2020, 09:13:03 AM »
Agreed. Plenty of players who want to stay an extra year may find that the feeling ain't mutual.
I imagine a lot of schools aren't going to want to risk their incoming freshmen or rising sophomores bailing because the seniors they thought they would be replacing are instead sticking around another year.

Wisconsin will be a very interesting test case. If their seniors return, all would be likely starters on a top-5 team. Take them away and Wahl is the only returning player of note that isn't currently a freshman or in high school. So I can see them wanting their experience back for a NC push.

Except...Barry Alvarez last year was already willing to push most every non-revenue scholarship player out the door, so would he stick to that line for basketball?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2020, 09:14:27 AM »
This season is 4 games old.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Milkshakes

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2020, 09:19:22 AM »
 I sure wouldn’t mind watching Theo play with the sophomore versions of Lewis and Garcia....

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2020, 09:23:52 AM »
I sure wouldn’t mind watching Theo play with the sophomore versions of Lewis and Garcia....

Theo is the guy I'd most want back. With our young forwards & guards, we can weather the losses of Jamal & Koby, but I don't expect any other centers will be Big East ready next year.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2020, 09:30:30 AM »
Wisconsin could run it back again with the same super-senior starting five.

Then we should counter with our TBT squad!

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2020, 09:50:14 AM »
Wisconsin will be a very interesting test case. If their seniors return, all would be likely starters on a top-5 team. Take them away and Wahl is the only returning player of note that isn't currently a freshman or in high school. So I can see them wanting their experience back for a NC push.

Except...Barry Alvarez last year was already willing to push most every non-revenue scholarship player out the door, so would he stick to that line for basketball?

That’s a hard sell for kids behind them currently on the roster.  One or two guys is one thing, but five starters is another. 
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2020, 10:35:05 AM »
That’s a hard sell for kids behind them currently on the roster.  One or two guys is one thing, but five starters is another.

For sure. Guys like Carlson and Crowl probably expected big minutes by their sophomore years.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2020, 10:40:36 AM »

I may be proven wrong here, but I don't think this Badgers lineup - even with another year of experience - is a championship contender. They're solid enough to beat a good team now and again, for sure, but I don't see them stringing together 3-4 wins in a row against top competition.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2020, 10:44:07 AM »
I may be proven wrong here, but I don't think this Badgers lineup - even with another year of experience - is a championship contender. They're solid enough to beat a good team now and again, for sure, but I don't see them stringing together 3-4 wins in a row against top competition.

But what any of us thinks is irrelevant, it's what they think internally. In addition, I think any 1-seed is a championship contender, if only because the road to the Final Four is in their favor & anything can happen once you get there.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2020, 10:54:48 AM »
I think we’ve seen the Badgers ceiling with the current group. They weren’t very good last year up until the end when they had a very favorable schedule that they took advantage of. The #4 ranking this year was just lazy. They’ll be decent as usual but no where near top 10 and by the end of the year their fans will be ready to move on from the seniors and ready to see what the new guys have to offer. Would be surprised if more than 1 of them returns. If they all return, I think you’ll see a mass exodus of the younger players which isn’t good long term.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 10:58:11 AM by CountryRoads »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2020, 11:18:50 AM »
Madison beat 3 cupcakes. First test they had, they lost in a game they never controlled from start to finish.

I seriously don’t see how they are better than we are, and I certainly would admit it if they were.

For one thing, DJ got to just about wherever he wanted to, and they will face better PGs than him.

They are solid, tall, can hit 3s, and make relatively few mistakes, which will keep them in most games and maybe win them 1-2 NCAA tournament games.

There have been many superior Madison teams of recent vintage.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2020, 11:19:51 AM »
But what any of us thinks is irrelevant, it's what they think internally. In addition, I think any 1-seed is a championship contender, if only because the road to the Final Four is in their favor & anything can happen once you get there.

They're a long way from a 1 seed, though. I love having a win over a team ranked #4 (at the time) on MU's resume, but that ranking was a mirage.

feedback