[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: In defense of Wojo  (Read 13838 times)

Scoop Snoop

• All American
Re: In defense of Wojo
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2020, 10:13:08 PM »
During the May 2019 press conference, Wojo and Scholl quickly went on the attack against the "Noise", their name for critics and almost certainly (I believe) referring to Scoop. "Noise" did not cause the season ending 1-6 collapse. "Noise" didn't cause the Hausers to leave. When asked about the Hausers departure, Wojo claimed to being completely surprised by it. This is probably true rather than simply a PR CYA. It showed how totally out of touch he was/is regarding what was really going on inside the team. His unhinged pre Murray State game "PLAY ANGRY!" speech was greeted by blank stares. Not one single player looked the least bit motivated by his rant. To me, he once again showed how out of touch with reality he often is.

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2020, 10:29:33 PM »
During the May 2019 press conference, Wojo and Scholl quickly went on the attack against the "Noise", their name for critics and almost certainly (I believe) referring to Scoop. "Noise" did not cause the season ending 1-6 collapse. "Noise" didn't cause the Hausers to leave. When asked about the Hausers departure, Wojo claimed to being completely surprised by it. This is probably true rather than simply a PR CYA. It showed how totally out of touch he was/is regarding what was really going on inside the team. His unhinged pre Murray State game "PLAY ANGRY!" speech was greeted by blank stares. Not one single player looked the least bit motivated by his rant. To me, he once again showed how out of touch with reality he often is.

Was the “noise” press conference the same one where Wojo talked about people getting out their pitchforks?  I feel like it wasn’t.  Press conferences and interviews are really not his thing.

Also, him saying he was “completely surprised” by the Hausers’ departure was a bold-faced lie.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2020, 12:54:55 AM »
During the May 2019 press conference, Wojo and Scholl quickly went on the attack against the "Noise", their name for critics and almost certainly (I believe) referring to Scoop.

I know that the precious millennials here think it makes their voices heard.  But most think that they need to suck it up.  MU doesn't consider Scoop in it's business dealings.   I mean, they appreciate us in the sense that "any publicity is good publicity", but that's it.

People underestimate MUScoop. 

Like if there was a thread, We the Undersigned Demand a Coaching Change .. that gets to say, 50 signers, boom, done.

Well sure, but then we'd have to somehow verify all 50 signers weren't just chicos.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2020, 01:24:26 AM »

Does coach K. rant?

Keithtisbarf

• Walk-On
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2020, 01:48:38 AM »
I can personally attest to this statement.  Wojo, or his colleagues have read scoop previously.  I would know..

Hahahahaha

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2020, 04:43:50 AM »
Saying the administration does not care about MU Scoop does not mean they don’t hear the same opinions from those who,  perhaps, do not post here.

Wojo has literally lived off his false reputation from Duke as a blue collar crazy competitor. Meanwhile, we’ve heard about his lunchtime hot yoga sessions, his sporty bicycle rides and how he takes weeks to pour over “every single game” from the previous year. Wojo is a fraud. I think he’s an awful, awful coach. We were told he stayed at Duke as an assistant for 10+ years because he was “waiting for the right opportunity.” What a bunch of horse sh*t. They were protecting the poor baby. Coach K handpicked Marquette because of the resources and because he thought Wojo could hide from criticism in Milwaukee. You can laugh about people criticizing his televised huddles, but they’re alarming. The Hausers leaving (and now thriving) is one of the worst things to
happen to this program ever. At every turn there are alarming examples of deep problems. Wojo will “lose” every team he ever coaches because he’s devoid of passion and cannot communicate. Wojo is a media/Duke created fraud. He completely miscast as a basketball coach. He ain’t Jay Wright! What a joke! At least Bob Dukiet could play the piano.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 04:46:07 AM by PuertoRicanNightmare »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2020, 04:53:41 AM »
PRN

Pretty much spot on. Well done.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2020, 05:40:08 AM »
Saying the administration does not care about MU Scoop does not mean they don’t hear the same opinions from those who,  perhaps, do not post here.

Wojo has literally lived off his false reputation from Duke as a blue collar crazy competitor. Meanwhile, we’ve heard about his lunchtime hot yoga sessions, his sporty bicycle rides and how he takes weeks to pour over “every single game” from the previous year. Wojo is a fraud. I think he’s an awful, awful coach. We were told he stayed at Duke as an assistant for 10+ years because he was “waiting for the right opportunity.” What a bunch of horse sh*t. They were protecting the poor baby. Coach K handpicked Marquette because of the resources and because he thought Wojo could hide from criticism in Milwaukee. You can laugh about people criticizing his televised huddles, but they’re alarming. The Hausers leaving (and now thriving) is one of the worst things to
happen to this program ever. At every turn there are alarming examples of deep problems. Wojo will “lose” every team he ever coaches because he’s devoid of passion and cannot communicate. Wojo is a media/Duke created fraud. He completely miscast as a basketball coach. He ain’t Jay Wright! What a joke! At least Bob Dukiet could play the piano.

...if only there was 🔥 Bulletin Board Material 🔥 for coaches. 🤔 💡
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2020, 06:18:04 AM »
Wojo is fine. I'm pretty convinced he would land on his feed at a struggling P6 program and get them to where he has MU now. I don't see any evidence that MU will fall out of the top 50 or so teams in the country in Wojo's tenure, however long it may be. MU will be a tournament team more often than not. But I also don't think we'll ever have a legitimate top 10 team under his watch.

This is what I feel. And I blame a lot on the administration who brings assistants (buzz, whatever) to their first real HC job and lets them learn on the fly. I also feel there is some Duke arrogance to where he is above criticism because of the pedigree.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2020, 07:10:49 AM »
I know that the precious millennials here think it makes their voices heard.  But most think that they need to suck it up.  MU doesn't consider Scoop in it's business dealings.   I mean, they appreciate us in the sense that "any publicity is good publicity", but that's it.

Well sure, but then we'd have to somehow verify all 50 signers weren't just chicos.

I hope you mean zoomers!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2020, 07:16:13 AM »

Solid bro, solid. As four Woj, his Xmas house decorations are pretty nice, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2020, 07:42:23 AM »
Wojo has absolutely not created divisiveness amongst our fans. We do that. With our speculation about his “feature” system and what fragile ego du-jour he isn’t placating. I wish we would all just let him coach. He wants to win big here, and he loves it at Marquette.

Who's not letting him coach? 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2020, 07:49:07 AM »
Wojo has absolutely not created divisiveness amongst our fans. We do that. With our speculation about his “feature” system and what fragile ego du-jour he isn’t placating. I wish we would all just let him coach. He wants to win big here, and he loves it at Marquette.

Coach O’Neill or Buzz, I could see if someone used the term “divisive”, as those guys didn’t give the average fan much direct access, and there was always the sense of a highly-insulated circle around the team. Wojo is producing student athletes who don’t have a sense of entitlement relative to the student body. I think because he’s a product of Duke, people just assume he’s arrogant or aloof. Not at all the case. Certainly not divisive.

He's had 7 years.  What do we have to show for it?  He wants to win big here, but can't demonstrate that he can.  He loves it at Marquette because his leash is long, the pay is great, and the resources are plentiful.

If you can't understand why some fans are upset with results, then you're not paying attention or you're simply an apologist.  What would you like?  Three more years, for an even decade, to figure out that Wojo doesn't get it?   Maybe another 7 more years because he's such a damn good representative of the University.

What, exactly, is your tipping point?  Any criteria?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2020, 07:50:33 AM »

In retrospect, his career at MU peaked on February 25, 2019.  On that day, they were newly ranked #10 in the country, having beat Providence on the road handily.  Two days later, they lost a tough game on the road at Nova.  Hardly an bad loss.  But what followed was just one more win, v. St. John's in the BET, in a season that had so much promise.  In mid April, the Hausers announced they were leaving.

So in 7-8 weeks, he went from #10 in the country to everything crumbling. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2020, 08:47:30 AM »

Coach O’Neill or Buzz, I could see if someone used the term “divisive”, as those guys didn’t give the average fan much direct access, and there was always the sense of a highly-insulated circle around the team. Wojo is producing student athletes who don’t have a sense of entitlement relative to the student body. I think because he’s a product of Duke, people just assume he’s arrogant or aloof. Not at all the case. Certainly not divisive.

I am going to let Herm Edwards answer this for me in 47 seconds:

https://youtu.be/W42iiCcFbxE

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2020, 08:58:41 AM »

There's a lot I agree with in here but I don't see what's wrong with the Yoga or Bicycling. I don't personally do yoga but there's a lot of evidence it helps with your joints and flexibility as you age. Furthermore we're going to fault a guy for biking? That just seems stupid. Every person whether they're a failing salesperson failing CEO or failing Coach has their right to their own hobbies and fitness routine. There's more than enough to criticize without just being an A$$ about his personal life
Maigh Eo for Sam

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2020, 09:00:24 AM »

None of the above should be a hot take. Nailed it.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2020, 09:04:07 AM »
There's a lot I agree with in here but I don't see what's wrong with the Yoga or Bicycling. I don't personally do yoga but there's a lot of evidence it helps with your joints and flexibility as you age. Furthermore we're going to fault a guy for biking? That just seems stupid. Every person whether they're a failing salesperson failing CEO or failing Coach has their right to their own hobbies and fitness routine. There's more than enough to criticize without just being an A$$ about his personal life
Nothing wrong with these things per se.  I believe, and I don't want to put words in PRN mouth, the point here is those are just part of the facade they keep him around.  "Look at our down to earth coach - he's got time for yoga and bike ride - and all the kids graduate!"  Yeah that's awesome but how's the basketball?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 09:05:55 AM by 5DollarPitcher »

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2020, 09:06:27 AM »
I am going to let Herm Edwards answer this for me in 47 seconds:

https://youtu.be/W42iiCcFbxE

If only someone would've just "let Herm Edwards coach".

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2020, 09:07:26 AM »

Didn't you get the implication?  Yoga and Biking are not values of Marquette.  Wojo should instead aspire to pound beers, eat sausages by the truckload, and wipe his ass with a towel.  NOW THAT'S BLUE COLLAR.  According to the white collars here.

The older guys around here get so close sometimes.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2020, 09:39:26 AM »
Please continue to play dumb. I don’t have anything against yoga or biking. Knock yourself out. What I’m saying is Wojo sure as sh*t ain’t the gym rat his reputation suggests. He’s far from it. He’s basically a candy-as5, who is more comfortable in a country club than a locker room. He can’t relate to these kids in any way, shape or form. And not only can he not relate or connect, it is apparent to me he doesn’t even try.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2020, 09:56:35 AM »
Please continue to play dumb. I don’t have anything against yoga or biking. Knock yourself out. What I’m saying is Wojo sure as sh*t ain’t the gym rat his reputation suggests. He’s far from it. He’s basically a candy-as5, who is more comfortable in a country club than a locker room. He can’t relate to these kids in any way, shape or form. And not only can he not relate or connect, it is apparent to me he doesn’t even try.

That's why Stan's loss is especially hurtful. 

Anyone remember when Sacar, sitting next to Wojo, abruptly left a presser?  I've never seen anything like that before.

Anyone remember the white t-shirt fiasco?  How Sandy, DuWil, etc., felt like fools after Wojo explicitly said "oh that?  Hah, that was basically a gimmick."  I slapped my forehead so hard, my neighbor came over to ask what happened.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2020, 09:58:25 AM »

Here I'll disagree. I think he is the gym rat, and that's part of the problem. He's more focused on playing hard that strategies that lead to winning. His staff is built with thoughts of noon ball and getting along with kids rather than tactics.

I think that might be the disconnect. Effort & camraderie only gets you so far when the opponents have effort, camraderie, and winning tactics.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2020, 09:59:46 AM »

The evidence over the course of Wojo's post-playing career does, unfortunately, imply that he's a candy a$$.  I recall reading an article that talked about how Wojo went to Europe to play after he was done at Duke, realized after a few months that he had no future as a player, and quickly went back to the soft bubble of Coach K's program.

His job as an assistant at Duke was a sweet one.  Very low stakes--just set the table for Coach K to swoop in and sign top recruits and say "yes" to everything the great man wanted when it came to actual game prep and coaching.  And Coach K likely wouldn't have had it any other way.  By all accounts, that's how he rolls when it comes to his fiefdom.  For this, Wojo earned six figures and got to live on Duke's beautiful campus for the better part of two decades.

What I'm saying is, it's no surprise Wojo isn't the lunchpail guy he was when he arrived on Duke's campus as a player.  He wasn't a grinder like Buzz or Crean were when they got the MU gig.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2020, 10:10:05 AM »
I believe Buzz played racquet ball at Straz a lot. I would see him as I was walking back to my dorm pretty regularly. Obviously coaches need outlets, so I don’t have too much of a problem. Although, the focus on the noon ball became a bit much.

The Tee-shirt thing has always bugged me. The guys seemed to really respond to it, and then to sort of make fun of it as a gimmick was not great. Of course it’s a gimmick, but don’t publicly say that after your guys seemed to really embrace it.

feedback