[Today at 09:34:36 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Nukem2
[Today at 09:24:02 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: In defense of Wojo  (Read 13846 times)

Vogue 66

• Walk-On
In defense of Wojo
« on: December 03, 2020, 05:47:31 AM »
There is something positive to be said for a coach who does not ask his players to execute plays in a game they have not practiced.   
It appears to me that our team had not installed plays to deal with either the full court press or the zone. 
Furthermore, we did not have a serviceable press to use against OSU.
(at least we had some inbound plays)
It probably took a lot of serious practice time to get the man defence working.
Back in my day coach Wooden would never ask his team to run plays they had not practiced.
Last night I watched Buzz design plays on the fly against Tarleton State (part of the Texas A & M system), for better or worse, it is just his style. 
Last point, sitting a player who is frustrated is a good move.  On the otherhand, some coaches would let the player play thru the frustration.   
What is the next part to be installed?  A few plays against a zone?  A press of our own? 
This year we might end the season on a positive note rather than a downer.
At least Wojo now has the parts to compete.  First things first.

muwarrior69

• All American
Re: In defense of Wojo
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 06:08:37 AM »
There is something positive to be said for a coach who does not ask his players to execute plays in a game they have not practiced.   
It appears to me that our team had not installed plays to deal with either the full court press or the zone. 
Furthermore, we did not have a serviceable press to use against OSU.
(at least we had some inbound plays)
It probably took a lot of serious practice time to get the man defence working.
Back in my day coach Wooden would never ask his team to run plays they had not practiced.
Last night I watched Buzz design plays on the fly against Tarleton State (part of the Texas A & M system), for better or worse, it is just his style. 
Last point, sitting a player who is frustrated is a good move.  On the otherhand, some coaches would let the player play thru the frustration.   
What is the next part to be installed?  A few plays against a zone?  A press of our own? 
This year we might end the season on a positive note rather than a downer.
At least Wojo now has the parts to compete.  First things first.

He may have the parts but we'll see if you are right on Friday.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 06:14:20 AM »
He has said that they have primarily practiced defense and have not spent a lot of time in offense.   Reminiscent of Buzz.  And the defense has been much improved.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU24

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 08:04:59 AM »
He has said that they have primarily practiced defense and have not spent a lot of time in offense.   Reminiscent of Buzz.  And the defense has been much improved.

The defense has been better, even with the small sample size of 3 games. This short season will either amplify shortcomings or mask the bigger issues that a longer season would expose. It will be interesting.
Another caveat: some colleges playing with fans present, others not. Really makes this whole situation a clown show. NCAA not stepping in to make regulations and just "leaving it up to the schools" is the biggest joke of all.

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2020, 09:37:30 AM »
In Wojo's defense, the players (particularly guards) are not good at 3PT shots or free throws.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2020, 09:41:02 AM »
In Wojo's defense, the players (particularly guards) are not good at 3PT shots or free throws.

I see this a lot, but who recruited those cats who can't shoot?

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2020, 10:10:23 AM »
We’re in year 7 and the evidence is in: Good recruiter but a mediocre coach at his best, and likely a bit below average. We don’t need to speculate anymore—he’s proven he’s not equipped to take us to the promised land (whether that be a title or consistent S16 appearances).   

Why are we ok with this?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2020, 10:13:30 AM »
We’re in year 7 and the evidence is in: Good recruiter but a mediocre coach at his best, and likely a bit below average. We don’t need to speculate anymore—he’s proven he’s not equipped to take us to the promised land (whether that be a title or consistent S16 appearances).   

Why are we ok with this?

Let's say we are not "ok with this."

What do you suggest we do?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Viper

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2020, 10:23:53 AM »
I see this a lot, but who recruited those cats who can't shoot?
bingo!

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2020, 10:37:04 AM »
Let's say we are not "ok with this."

What do you suggest we do?

At the very least, keep calling out slurpery and BS on places like this message board.  Keep holding him accountable on here and Twitter and other places on the internet.  Want to have a bigger impact?  Cancel your season tickets and stop going to games.  That will really get the attention of the athletic department.  Wojo was already getting booed at home games.  That would’ve continued this season.

Aside from cancelling season tickets and withholding donations, there is not much the fans can do besides complain on the internet.  But at least that’s something, and people close to the program (including possibly Wojo himself) do read these boards.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2020, 11:21:30 AM »
At the very least, keep calling out slurpery and BS on places like this message board.

That will have zero impact on Wojo's job status

Keep holding him accountable on here and Twitter and other places on the internet. 

Cancel your season tickets and stop going to games.  That will really get the attention of the athletic department.

That would have impact on Wojo's job status.  But not this year (no fans)

Wojo was already getting booed at home games.  That would’ve continued this season.

That's just poor form.  Don't do that.

Want to have your voice heard?  This is the guy to contact.  Send him an email, leave a voicemail.  All his contact info is right there! https://gomarquette.com/staff-directory/bill-scholl/2

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2020, 11:34:45 AM »

That would have impact on Wojo's job status.  But not this year (no fans)

That's just poor form.  Don't do that.

Want to have your voice heard?  This is the guy to contact.  Send him an email, leave a voicemail.  All his contact info is right there! https://gomarquette.com/staff-directory/bill-scholl/2

Yep, I understand that criticizing Wojo on the internet will have zero impact on his job status.  But I, and others, will continue to do it anyway if it's warranted.  You believe that happy crappy?

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2020, 12:28:26 PM »
Yep, I understand that criticizing Wojo on the internet will have zero impact on his job status.  But I, and others, will continue to do it anyway if it's warranted.  You believe that happy crappy?
Why are you stealing lines from a Stephen King book?

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2020, 12:43:40 PM »
Why are you stealing lines from a Stephen King book?

Ha, nice catch, that's a pretty obscure reference!  I believe the chapters with "The Kid" were edited out of the original version of The Stand, but got added back in at some point.  Good book, but too long by at least a couple hundred pages.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2020, 01:03:54 PM »
At the very least, keep calling out slurpery and BS on places like this message board.  Keep holding him accountable on here and Twitter and other places on the internet.  Want to have a bigger impact?  Cancel your season tickets and stop going to games.  That will really get the attention of the athletic department.  Wojo was already getting booed at home games.  That would’ve continued this season.

Aside from cancelling season tickets and withholding donations, there is not much the fans can do besides complain on the internet.  But at least that’s something, and people close to the program (including possibly Wojo himself) do read these boards.

Okey dokey. Even though, as rocky says, none of this will impact anything, enjoy!

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2020, 01:11:05 PM »
Okey dokey. Even though, as rocky says, none of this will impact anything, enjoy!

So what’s the point in talking about anything on here then?  Recruiting, mlb, nba, etc. 

Isn’t the point of a forum to discuss opinions, share information, etc?

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2020, 01:39:13 PM »

Do you have an issue with this?  I don't really understand your point.  I don't live and breathe MU ball, but from November to March, it's one of my favorite things to think about.  Game days are always a little more exciting--I'll be at work or talking to a friend and all of a sudden I'll think, "Hey, there's a game tonight!" and it'll make me a little happier.  I try my absolute best to watch every game on TV, and attend a few per season if possible.  I made that suggestion about not showing up to games, but the truth is, I'm not strong enough to do that.  I'll always go if I can because I love the experience of watching a college basketball game in person.  There's nothing like it.

No one at work or in any of my social circles gives a damn about Marquette basketball.  I'm just some random a$$hole who's not rich or famous, so I'm not going to email Bill Scholl, because my opinion doesn't really matter.  But I enjoy coming onto this site and engaging in debate about the state of the program.  I've been a fan of MU ball for decades, so even though I'm not one of the amatuer "experts" on this board (of which we all know there are a few) I do have a pretty solid foundation of knowledge on the subject and like interacting with other passionate fans.  So yes, I will enjoy, thank you very much. 

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2020, 01:43:49 PM »
I think holding Wojo accountable on Twitter (in a non-personal / overly derogatory or explicit manner) would have an affect on his job status.  If you disagree, just look at the 45th POTUS, who practically governs through Twitter.  Social media is a powerful tool and Scholl, BOT, et al are not blind to what people are saying.  Especially in the replies to official MU tweets.  The MU YouTube page turned off comments to the public near the end of the season last year.  We can all speculate why.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2020, 01:55:34 PM »
So what’s the point in talking about anything on here then?  Recruiting, mlb, nba, etc. 

Isn’t the point of a forum to discuss opinions, share information, etc?

It's fine to talk about it, but don't expect it to have any measurable impact outside of this message board.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2020, 01:57:19 PM »
Criticizing a coach on Twitter or Scoop is NOT 'holding him accountable.' It's criticizing him on Twitter or Scoop. Only MU leadership can hold him accountable.

Too many people overestimate the influence they have....

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2020, 02:02:53 PM »
I think holding Wojo accountable on Twitter (in a non-personal / overly derogatory or explicit manner) would have an affect on his job status.  If you disagree, just look at the 45th POTUS, who practically governs through Twitter.  Social media is a powerful tool and Scholl, BOT, et al are not blind to what people are saying.  Especially in the replies to official MU tweets.  The MU YouTube page turned off comments to the public near the end of the season last year.  We can all speculate why.

LOL.  Cmon...  They ain't firing Wojo because Twitter was mean to him.  Give me a break.

They fire him when big $$$ donors and season ticket holders put pressure on the athletic department to make a change.  They turn off comments to Youtube videos because people are dicks. 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 02:05:50 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2020, 02:30:15 PM »
Arguments in defense of Wojo:

1) He's a PR dream.  He will never ever publicly say/do something stupid.  Odd departures notwithstanding (Morrow as one example), he strikes me as someone who is very cautious about perceptions.

2) He landed (another) All-American.  Let's see what he can do with him.

3) He's young, still maturing.  He could be the next Jay Wright (ulikely?  Sure, but it's possible).  Relatedly, he has an incentive to perform well and not mail it in since he has his whole career ahead of him.

4) What other coach is available right now/year from now?  Thad Matta?

5) He's relatively cheap (reported base salary seems low compared to comparable programs).

6) He's earned a 5-seed in the tournament, showing that he's at least capable.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2020, 02:34:26 PM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2020, 02:34:57 PM »
Do you have an issue with this?  I don't really understand your point.  I don't live and breathe MU ball, but from November to March, it's one of my favorite things to think about.  Game days are always a little more exciting--I'll be at work or talking to a friend and all of a sudden I'll think, "Hey, there's a game tonight!" and it'll make me a little happier.  I try my absolute best to watch every game on TV, and attend a few per season if possible.  I made that suggestion about not showing up to games, but the truth is, I'm not strong enough to do that.  I'll always go if I can because I love the experience of watching a college basketball game in person.  There's nothing like it.

No one at work or in any of my social circles gives a damn about Marquette basketball.  I'm just some random a$$hole who's not rich or famous, so I'm not going to email Bill Scholl, because my opinion doesn't really matter.  But I enjoy coming onto this site and engaging in debate about the state of the program.  I've been a fan of MU ball for decades, so even though I'm not one of the amatuer "experts" on this board (of which we all know there are a few) I do have a pretty solid foundation of knowledge on the subject and like interacting with other passionate fans.  So yes, I will enjoy, thank you very much.

No issue at all.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2020, 02:45:38 PM »
Silent Verbal

Well stated posts on the topic. There is nothing quite like the excitement of a big MU game and I have enjoyed it for decades as well. Sadly, while I come from a very large family of MU grads (over 20 grads between my family and my wife's), the program has lost it's luster to almost all of them. Season tickets not renewed, attending less and less games and a general blah attitude towards the program. Five years ago I could have called 10+ family members/friends after a big game and chalk talked the game and I loved it. Today I have one brother in law (a lurker on here) that really cares and probably the only family member that cares at the moment.

MU can do whatever they want and wish them well, but I think they have taken a very loyal fan base for granted for a long time and I hope it does not bite them in the ass. MU has enough problems at the moment and losing the segment of the fan base is not something they can afford to have happen.

feedback