collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Christmas  (Read 19343 times)

MUfan12

• All American
Re: Christmas
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2020, 09:23:28 AM »
I don’t get it. Our Thanksgiving was different but it wasn’t bad. Christmas will likely be the same. Why can’t people just do this for one year?

In the same boat. Keeping the same circle and locking it down leading up to the holiday.

The one thing that makes me sad about it is my last grandparent has been in declining health, and we don't know if we'll get another Christmas with him. But I'd rather err on the side of caution to make sure that has a chance of happening.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2020, 11:40:36 AM »
In the same boat. Keeping the same circle and locking it down leading up to the holiday.

The one thing that makes me sad about it is my last grandparent has been in declining health, and we don't know if we'll get another Christmas with him. But I'd rather err on the side of caution to make sure that has a chance of happening.

my dad had a near death experience last week (not COVID related) so my sister and her family are quarantining until Christmas so they can spend time with my parents on Christmas Day.

My mom's COVID tests came back negative but how it happened has her shook. She's quarantining on the top floor while my dad is on the main floor of their house. My mom was exposed by her stylist, who is super careful herself as her husband is seriously at risk, having only one lung.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2020, 12:48:39 PM »
Given that Christmas doesn't actually celebrate Christ's birth and was simply an adopted pagan holiday to make conversions easier. I don't understand the obsession with ignoring what Christmas actually is (let alone ignoring other religion's traditions as well) to act like Jesus was born on that day.

Bottom line is technically we should all be engaged in a week long booze filled affair of depravity to celebrate Christmas since that's the festival that it initially was.

Happy Festival of the Rebirth of the Sun to you all!

Prior to the advent of the Gregorian calendar, the Church celebrated Christmas on January 7.  You can see this in many of the Orthodox Christian traditions, e.g., Russia, Greece, Ethiopia, which still use the Julian calendar (and hence celebrate on January 7).

The Church didn't know the actual day of Christ's birth (you, on the other hand, know the date of your birth).  In fact, most of the early Church writers thought that it was in March, which was too close to Lent.  Hence, the need to "move" the celebration. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2020, 01:01:26 PM »
Prior to the advent of the Gregorian calendar, the Church celebrated Christmas on January 7.  You can see this in many of the Orthodox Christian traditions, e.g., Russia, Greece, Ethiopia, which still use the Julian calendar (and hence celebrate on January 7).

The Church didn't know the actual day of Christ's birth (you, on the other hand, know the date of your birth).  In fact, most of the early Church writers thought that it was in March, which was too close to Lent.  Hence, the need to "move" the celebration.

There's debate that the idea to move it to December was because it coincided with Yule celebrations in modern Scandinavia & Germany and the Saturnalia celebration in the Roman Empire. Not to mention the other various Solstice celebrations across Europe. The January date was celebrating his accepted baptismal date not a birthday.

"In particular, during the first two centuries of Christianity there was strong opposition to recognizing birthdays of martyrs or, for that matter, of Jesus. Numerous Church Fathers offered sarcastic comments about the pagan custom of celebrating birthdays when, in fact, saints and martyrs should be honoured on the days of their martyrdom—their true “birthdays,” from the church’s perspective."

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Christmas

"In the early years of Christianity, Easter was the main holiday; the birth of Jesus was not celebrated. In the fourth century, church officials decided to institute the birth of Jesus as a holiday. Unfortunately, the Bible does not mention date for his birth (a fact Puritans later pointed out in order to deny the legitimacy of the celebration). Although some evidence suggests that his birth may have occurred in the spring (why would shepherds be herding in the middle of winter?), Pope Julius I chose December 25. It is commonly believed that the church chose this date in an effort to adopt and absorb the traditions of the pagan Saturnalia festival. First called the Feast of the Nativity, the custom spread to Egypt by 432 and to England by the end of the sixth century. "

https://www.history.com/topics/christmas/history-of-christmas

Maigh Eo for Sam

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2020, 01:06:06 PM »

That's not quite right.  Christmas was set on December 25 prior to the advent of the Gregorian calendar.  But when the Gregorian calendar was adopted, the western Christian countries played catch up and moved their calendar about a week and a half forward to make up the difference.  Therefore the day after October 4, 1582 was October 15.  The Orthodox Church never made that push forward.  Furthermore they fall further out of whack three days every four centuries (see below) which means those dates will grow further apart.

So Christmas is still on December 25 on the Julian calendar, but today is also December 3 on that calendar.

The main difference between the two is that each includes a leap year every four years, but the Gregorian calendar skips the leap year on years that end with xx00 EXCEPT for years divisable by 400.

So 1700, 1800 and 1900 were not leap years.  2000 was.  2100 and 2200 will not be.

So the Julian calendar adds three extra days every 400 years which is why the Orthodox December 25 is a couple of week behind ours.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 01:08:21 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2020, 01:06:10 PM »
Hope you like whiskey and barrel aged beers. That and wine is all that I stock

Nice stock of whiskey! I'm partial to Irish Whiskeys, and love the Redbreast 12.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2020, 01:07:24 PM »
There is also a great deal of symbolism with celebrating the birth of Jesus as the days start to get longer.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2020, 01:10:42 PM »
There is also a great deal of symbolism with celebrating the birth of Jesus as the days start to get longer.

Speaking of which...happy Winter Solstice, everyone!

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2020, 01:15:37 PM »

Nice stock of whiskey! I'm partial to Irish Whiskeys, and love the Redbreast 12.

Teeling Single Grain for me. Though recently I discovered Clonakilty and their beer barrel finished series which is excellent (did one with an area brewery using Barleywine barrels with only 300 bottles sent to Oregon). They're doing this with breweries all over the country and only selling in that brewery's state.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2020, 01:17:04 PM »
Actually, this year, let's go with Festivus.  Seems to be quite the appetite for airing of grievances.

Be happy, be safe, celebrate or not in whatever manner you wish.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #85 on: December 21, 2020, 01:23:15 PM »
Happy Winter Solstice, everyone!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2020, 01:23:44 PM »

Thank you, love me some redbreast but agree with Billy that I go for Teeling (or tullamore dew) for sipping.

I love Irish whiskey, but some of the newer ones (like Dingle or Silkie) are a bit harsh.

Though recently I discovered Clonakilty

Haven't tried will pick myself up a bottle as I'm about out of the Sexton.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 01:27:45 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #87 on: December 21, 2020, 03:05:39 PM »
Thank you, love me some redbreast but agree with Billy that I go for Teeling (or tullamore dew) for sipping.

I love Irish whiskey, but some of the newer ones (like Dingle or Silkie) are a bit harsh.

Haven't tried will pick myself up a bottle as I'm about out of the Sexton.

Tullamore Dew is my choice for a "basic" Irish. I prefer it over Jameson and Bushmills. There's a new Rum Cask TD I saw over the weekend I'll probably pick up after my Clonakilty is gone.

Clonakilty is in County Cork and perched up on the bluffs. I am definitely going to visit once this whole Covid thing is done!

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #88 on: December 21, 2020, 03:06:54 PM »
"You as well" is the correct way to handle it.  No reason to go out of your way to upset people who are genuinely wishing you happiness.  Especially, since it costs nothing to be nice.

Yep. If it’s someone you know well or speak to repeatedly and they insist on saying something incorrect or out of line with your beliefs, that’s a different story.  But otherwise, I’m amazed that people find a way to be peeved about it.

Working in diamonds/Jewelery, the vast majority of white people in the wholesale portion of industry are Jewish.  Thus for awhile when I was starting out, new people or contacts I would meet would wish my Happy Hannukah or Happy Passover, especially foreign associates who probably dealt with predominantly Jewish westerners.  I would either make a joke in correcting or just appreciate the effort or consideration, even if incorrect.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2020, 03:10:26 PM »
Tullamore Dew is my choice for a "basic" Irish. I prefer it over Jameson and Bushmills. There's a new Rum Cask TD I saw over the weekend I'll probably pick up after my Clonakilty is gone.

Clonakilty is in County Cork and perched up on the bluffs. I am definitely going to visit once this whole Covid thing is done!

I'd agree one regular Tully being on par with Jameson and Bushmills but try the Tullamore Dew 18. Whiskey of the year 2017 (+ or - 1yr) imo they step up in quality to reach that next level as they mature in a way that Bushmills and Jameson don't with Black Bush or Jameson Black and above
Maigh Eo for Sam

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #90 on: December 21, 2020, 03:52:19 PM »

The rum cask TD is very good IMO. Not very new, I'm surprised your still finding bottles left on the shelf.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #91 on: December 21, 2020, 04:00:02 PM »
The rum cask TD is very good IMO. Not very new, I'm surprised your still finding bottles left on the shelf.

Angels envy rye is aged in a rum cask and is very delicious. 

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #92 on: December 21, 2020, 05:00:46 PM »

It is gorgeous there.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #93 on: December 21, 2020, 06:02:21 PM »

I honestly just saw it for the first time on Saturday in Oregon. Though liquor sales are handled though the state so maybe we are just slow in getting it.

Angels envy rye is aged in a rum cask and is very delicious. 

I saw that one, along with a Breckenridge Rum cask. I love Balvenie Caribbean Cask but can only justify that expense to my wife so often!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #94 on: December 24, 2020, 09:10:24 AM »
From the Charlotte Observer ...

In January, Novant ICU nurse manager Cindy Little will welcome her second grandchild born during the coronavirus pandemic. Originally from Charleston, Little moved to Charlotte a few years ago to be closer to family. Her new grandson will be her fourth grandchild.

But she won’t see her family this Christmas. Instead, she’s working in the ICU during the holiday as well as on New Year’s Day. She missed Thanksgiving gatherings, too. In the ICU, she sees Novant’s sickest patients, often with COVID-19.

Many health officials expect to see a spike in coronavirus cases due to gatherings over Christmas. Area hospitals are already dealing with a surge in cases from Thanksgiving.

Ahead of that potential surge, Little and another Novant ICU provider gave the Observer an inside look at their life during the pandemic.

Dr. Alexis Smith is a pulmonary and critical care physician in Novant Health’s Presbyterian Medical Center’s ICU.

Before the coronavirus pandemic, Smith spent half of her time taking care of intensive care unit patients. Now, she’s spending most of her time in the ICU.

During the pandemic, Smith’s been taking two showers a day — one in the morning and one as soon as she gets back from the hospital.

When she returns from work, she puts on a robe she keeps in the garage and heads straight to the shower to wash off any germs she could have brought home. Then she puts her work clothes straight in the laundry.

Like Little, Smith also plans to skip Christmas gatherings with her family. She usually flies to Chicago to see family, including her nieces. Not this year.

“I recognize the fact that the community is really tiring of (COVID-19 restrictions), and as just a human experiencing this, it absolutely is very tiring,” Smith said. “But as a physician, it makes me very sad that (gatherings) immediately lead to people who are so sick.”
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #95 on: December 24, 2020, 12:22:14 PM »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #96 on: December 24, 2020, 12:29:53 PM »
After everything was discussed and debated, we will have four generations at our house this afternoon/evening. Only our youngest had to travel here and tested negative yesterday. Great Grandma was not going to miss Christmas Eve for anything and very, very happy that she is joining our crew.

Small disclaimer on Great Grandma, she has hosted weekly family dinner for the past six months and is frequent star guest for our family. She is 84 years old and simply one of the all time best. We will try our best to social distance and refrain from our normal thousand hugs this year.

Sadly, this is my first Christmas Eve in 57 years that I will not be celebrating with one or all of my siblings. Our normal host, big sister, is having watered down day out in the garage and we have two small granddaughters and it is too cold for them. Looking forward to busting her house up next year.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #97 on: December 24, 2020, 02:38:33 PM »
Merry Christmas Goose, or as is said in my household, “Larry Christmas!”
Ludum habemus.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #98 on: December 24, 2020, 02:41:22 PM »
Merry Christmas all!

Felt weird dropping of food at my mom's.  She doesn't want to risk coming over to our house for dinner despite no one else coming.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #99 on: December 24, 2020, 03:09:14 PM »
...So he paused.   And the Grinch put his had to his ear.    And he DID hear a sound rising over the snow.    It started in low.   Then it started to grow...

But the sound wasn't sad!   Why, this sound sounded Merry!   It couldn't be so!    But it was merry!  Very!

He stared down at Who-ville!   The Grinch popped his eyes!   Then he shook!   What he saw was a shocking surprise!

Every Who down in Who-ville, the tall and the small, was singing!   Without any presents at all!  He HADN'T stopped Christmas from coming!   IT CAME!    Somehow or other, it came just the same!

And the Grinch, with his grinch-feet ice-cold in the snow, Stood puzzing and puzzling:   "How could it be so?   It came without ribbons!   It came without tags!   It came without packages boxes or bags!"

And he puzzled three hours, till his puzzler was sore.    THEN, the Grinch though of something he hadn't before!

"Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store.    Maybe Christmas...perhaps...means a little bit more."

Thank you, Dr. Seuss.      Maybe Christmas does indeed mean a little bit more.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback