[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by tower912
[Today at 02:42:24 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Christmas  (Read 19269 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Christmas
« Reply #150 on: January 01, 2021, 01:11:09 PM »
I think the prevailing perspective of Western medicines shunning/ridicule of universal masking is one of the largest mistakes of the pandemic.

Instead of learning the lessons of SARS we initially rejected it.  Then politics poured a bunch of gas on that fire.

Fauci had a hand in that for sure.  By the time he learned/corrected it was too late.  Particularly with no willingness by the govt to push that solution.

Agree, to a point.

During the brief period when masks weren't recommended, the delay was based as much as anything on the concern about having enough PPE for frontline workers. Maybe the 'Western medicine' attitude contributed too, but I suspect an immediate recommendation to wear masks would have led to a dramatic shortage of paper surgical masks. Just look at the toilet paper and Lysol shortages back in the spring, and imagine hospitals not being able to get enough basic surgical masks because 300 million Americans were buying them up.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #151 on: January 01, 2021, 04:44:10 PM »
I think the prevailing perspective of Western medicines shunning/ridicule of universal masking is one of the largest mistakes of the pandemic.

Instead of learning the lessons of SARS we initially rejected it.  Then politics poured a bunch of gas on that fire.

Fauci had a hand in that for sure.  By the time he learned/corrected it was too late.  Particularly with no willingness by the govt to push that solution.

I disagree that it was "too late" by the time Fauci corrected on masks. It was only March. Had the vast majority of Americans started wearing masks then, had the leadership of our country been role models who encouraged mask-wearing rather than deniers who mocked it, we might have had a decidedly different result.

We had a president who refused to wear a mask while visiting a mask factory that required everybody to wear masks and a vice president who didn't wear a mask when visiting the Mayo Clinic -- both well after it became accepted science that mask-wearing helps.

And then the floodgates really swung open, with Trump cheering on mask-less thugs in states that had not met Trump's own guidelines, with Jared declaring victory over COVID-19 on April 29, and then with the president holding one super-spreader event after another for his mouth-breathing sycophants.

Well before all of that, Fauci and epidemiologists everywhere were begging for Americans to wear masks.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #152 on: January 01, 2021, 04:48:20 PM »
I was alluding to all the other stuff you referenced as to why it was too late.  Too polarized by then. 

It needed a full court press communication campaign that just wasn’t going to be there.   

MU82

• All American
« Reply #153 on: January 01, 2021, 05:26:37 PM »
I was alluding to all the other stuff you referenced as to why it was too late.  Too polarized by then. 

It needed a full court press communication campaign that just wasn’t going to be there.

Again, all it would have taken was national leadership to get us there. Not worth arguing about, though. Have a good one.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #154 on: January 02, 2021, 07:28:48 AM »
Rocket would be still be bitching about mistakes made during Pearl Harbor on VJ Day.

Unless Trump was President.

funny you mention pearl harbor.  just last night watched a documentary on the beginning of WW II in which actual footage was digitally enhanced to color. the national anger it provoked was similar to that produced my 911 except during 1941, the anger lasted until we got the job done as opposed to what, 2-3 weeks post 911.  i mean more collectively.

so fauci's multiple "mistakes" are akin to the bombing of WW II which was the final straw to push us into historically, the largest, most devastating war we were trying to avoid?  fauci is more of a puppet emblematic of the attitude of "what to think" rather than "how to think" 

not quite sure where the mistakes were there sully, but i'm sure in all your vast awareness and worldly experiences, would love for you to point them out to all of us
don't...don't don't don't don't

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #155 on: January 02, 2021, 07:39:46 AM »
  funny you mention pearl harbor.  just last night watched a documentary on the beginning of WW II in which actual footage was digitally enhanced to color. the national anger it provoked was similar to that produced my 911 except during 1941, the anger lasted until we got the job done as opposed to what, 2-3 weeks post 911.  i mean more collectively.

so fauci's multiple "mistakes" are akin to the bombing of WW II which was the final straw to push us into historically, the largest, most devastating war we were trying to avoid?  fauci is more of a puppet emblematic of the attitude of "what to think" rather than "how to think" 

not quite sure where the mistakes were there sully, but i'm sure in all your vast awareness and worldly experiences, would love for you to point them out to all of us

What the f*ck are you even talking about here?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #156 on: January 02, 2021, 08:05:25 AM »

Lol. The fact that you are STILL bringing up hydroxy tells me all I need to know about your opinion on anything related to Covid - not worth the water to flush it down my toilet.
Yup. Its really a snapshot showing what exactly has become of the base of the GOP.  They've lost the plot so badly that they side with Dr. Demon Sperm over the renowned infectious disease expert because their teevee told them to.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

• All American
« Reply #157 on: January 02, 2021, 08:15:20 AM »
Yup. Its really a snapshot showing what exactly has become of the base of the GOP.  They've lost the plot so badly that they side with Dr. Demon Sperm over the renowned infectious disease expert because their teevee told them to.

It is incredibly ironic that rocket would come here bitching about the mistakes Fauci has made, praising both Risch and Smith, and then talking about "how to think."  The dude hasn't presented a thought he hasn't parroted from elsewhere for years.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

🏀

• All American
« Reply #158 on: January 02, 2021, 08:26:51 AM »

Stick to Parler.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #159 on: January 02, 2021, 08:52:46 AM »

littul two much xmas eggnogg four dis won

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #160 on: January 02, 2021, 10:20:27 AM »
  taking fauci by himself, leaving trump and his admin out of this if you can, fauci has been all over the map.  not to mention that DOCTOR fauci is a DOCTOR.  he isn't citing any research as that generated from actual doctors treating patients.  they knw what works and what doesn't.  btw, you guys who keep downplaying the efficacy of hcq-i wouldn't allow fauci to treat me or any of my family with it, but i certainly would want someone of the likes of dr harvey risch(lead epidemiologist yale med school) or dr stephen smith of the smith center for infectious diseases.  the key is if and/or when to initiate hcq treatment.  not all covid patients can be treated with hcq, just as not all patients can be treated with penicillin.  there is a window of time and combination of drugs that have been proven to be very effective in the hands of those who actually see and treat patients.  in other words, they have to know what they are doing.  fauci?  not so much

here are some fauci beauties

1) this virus is not a major threat to the american people and it's not something we should be worried about

2) new york did it correctly-huh?

3)Dr Fauci saying that the virus was "not driven by asymptomatic carriers" and his comment in March that "people should not be walking around with masks".

4) calling for a national quarantine??

5) a falling mortality rate doesn’t matter when it is the single most important statistic to help guide the pace of our economic reopening.  sounds like he is starting to get out of his lane here as he does so offen.  the dude talks to who he wants to when he wants to.  when was the last time he's even treated patients?

6) first he says a national mandate on masks wouldn't work(september) but now says maybe we should be mandating it?? so who got into his head?

there are many studies that cast doubt on efficacy of masks, especially given that most are not KN95 quality and the cloth ones worn are more filthy than than anything you could repeatedly put on your face

fauci has become a puppet of WHO and the CDC and the glass half empty people.  he is clearly an advocate for other causes first.  his multiple appearances on CNN and MSNBC

If I didn't know this was coming from you, I'd have thought it was the best trolling this board has ever seen.

But you're you, so it's just more foolishness from a person who is obsessed with the delusion he's created for himself.

Someday, I hope you come back to reality.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #161 on: January 02, 2021, 11:27:48 AM »
If I didn't know this was coming from you, I'd have thought it was the best trolling this board has ever seen.

But you're you, so it's just more foolishness from a person who is obsessed with the delusion he's created for himself.

Someday, I hope you come back to reality.

Some might say he has gone off the deep end. The truth is that he drowned a long time ago. I'm guessing he has gone full OANN since even Fox doesn't sound nearly this nuts.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #162 on: January 03, 2021, 08:24:07 AM »
Los Angeles County has been especially susceptible to COVID-19 due to its large population, the density of the population and the high number of essential workers who live there.

The county was ravaged in December in the weeks after Thanksgiving, and it's already looking like the number of people who ignored stay-at-home orders over Christmas is prolonging or even worsening the situation.

From the L.A. Times:

The tally reported Friday pushed the average number of new daily coronavirus cases over the last week to 16,077 – precisely around the same time that epidemiologists warned that people infected around the Christmas holiday would begin to become infectious.

The county also posted a high death toll Friday – 193 deaths, the fourth-highest single day death toll. New Year’s Day followed three consecutive days of record deaths reported in one day – 242 on Tuesday, 262 on Wednesday and 291 on Thursday. Combined, 988 deaths were reported in this four-day period.

Before Friday’s numbers for LA County were released, Dr. Robert Kim-Farley, medical epidemiologist and infectious diseases expert with the UCLA Fielding School of Public Health, said he expected that the pandemic in LA County would worsen soon because of the amount of travel observed over Christmas and New Year’s.

Kim-Farley said LA County was in the midst of a “viral tsunami,” but added that “we should not be frozen in despair that there is nothing we can do.”

“Now is the time to get to ‘higher ground’ – in this case, higher ground means staying at home and not mixing with others outside of your household as much as possible and not being outside where the viral tsunami could reach us,” Kim-Farley said.

Despite the grim outlook for the weeks ahead, Kim-Farley said, “there’s no question in my mind that had we not had the stay-at-home order, the situation would be far more dire than it is now. However, I think the magnitude of the numbers show that in the face of the stay at home order, many people are choosing to ignore it, and with no strong enforcement, these mixing of households and parties continue to occur.”

The death toll has already spiked in December, largely a result of people en masse, fatigued by the pandemic, ignoring pleas by officials to stay home for Thanksgiving and deciding to gather with friends and family over that holiday. There were 2,703 COVID-19 deaths reported in LA County in December, by far the deadliest month of the pandemic and more than four times worse than November’s death toll of 585.

Hospitals across LA County are being overwhelmed by the pandemic, with most forced to turn away ambulances for much of the day as medical institutions buckle under the weight of unprecedented demand for critical hospital care. Hospital morgues and private funeral homes are so full of corpses that the National Guard has been asked to help with efforts to store the bodies temporarily at the county medical-examiner-coroner’s office.

As one of the nation’s largest metropolises with some of the nation’s densest neighborhoods, LA County is considered to be particularly vulnerable in a pandemic. The county, home to more than 10 million people, suffers in a number of neighborhoods from high rates of poverty and costly housing that lead to overcrowded homes. Southern California also has huge numbers of essential workers who must leave their homes to work, many employed in food factories and warehouses, where the virus can also spread easily.

Some patients are waiting up to nine hours in waiting rooms with low blood pressure and low oxygen levels. A number of facilities are reporting running dangerously low on supplies of oxygen. Some patients transported by ambulances are waiting as long as eight hours to be dropped off at emergency rooms. There’s fear that people suffering from strokes, heart attacks and seizures aren’t getting the swift attention they need.

With so many COVID-19 patients suffering from inflamed lungs that make them gasp for air, some aging hospital systems have been unable to keep up with the demand for high-flow rates of oxygen needed to be piped into their lungs. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is planning to send crews to the region to update oxygen-delivery systems at a handful of hospitals.

By Friday night, local health jurisdictions in LA County had tallied 790,582 cumulative coronavirus cases and 10,552 COVID-19 deaths. With LA County averaging 16,077 new coronavirus cases a day, the county is likely to mark its 800,000th coronavirus case in the coming days.

As of Friday night, California is now averaging 339 COVID-19 deaths a day over the last week, a record. The state is also averaging about 40,000 new coronavirus cases a day, only slightly lower than the peak of 45,000 new cases a day recorded in mid-December.

Cumulatively, California has recorded 2.3 million coronavirus cases and more than 26,000 COVID-19 deaths.

• All American
« Reply #163 on: January 03, 2021, 08:39:28 AM »

The death toll has already spiked in December, largely a result of people en masse, fatigued by the pandemic, ignoring pleas by officials to stay home for Thanksgiving and deciding to gather with friends and family over that holiday. There were 2,703 COVID-19 deaths reported in LA County in December, by far the deadliest month of the pandemic and more than four times worse than November’s death toll of 585.

I don't think this is entirely accurate.  Thankgiving likely had a small impact on the death toll in December.  Those who caught Covid over Thankgiving likely didn't present symptoms until the first week of December.  And then the earliest these people would have died would have been in the last third of the month.

So that means it is actually WORSE than what they are portraying.  People are going to be dying throughout January who were exposed at Thanksgiving.  And February has the potential for being worse considering how many people were gathering over the Holidays.

We are going to be well above 500,000 deaths by the end of February.  Potentially much worse.

Meanwhile from this morning...

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1345720107255926784?s=20

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #164 on: January 03, 2021, 08:45:08 AM »
13 months ago, the world new zero, nada, zilch, about this virus.    It came at all of us pretty fast.   Fauci said some things based on the best information he had at the time that later turned out to be wrong.    Once upon a time, doctors used leaches and dentists used wood dentures.    The learning curve about COVID has been rapid, ever accelerating, and steep.   There is still more to be learned and it is entirely possible with those the best intentions, using the best information available, are still going to say something that will eventually be shown to be wrong.     
     What is dangerous is those who still think this is no worse than the flu.    Who still downplay it.    Who, instead of trying to figure out how to keep themselves and those they love safe, and by extension, work to make things better for all, willfully choose me-first.   Who spread demonstrably false information because it makes them feel good.    Because they don't have the intelligence or courage to make the choices necessary to do the right thing for all.   

Approaching 20 million infected in the USA.    Approaching 400k dead.  (at least)       That is reality.     Life outside the cult bubble.

Um, turns out they were right. Bloodletting too.

What Is Leech Therapy?

https://www.healthline.com/health/what-is-leech-therapy

MU82

• All American
« Reply #165 on: January 13, 2021, 09:40:42 AM »
Merry Effen Xmas.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/article248453620.html

Against a backdrop of jackhammers, lane changes and the metabolism of rapid change, a corner near uptown has long offered Charlotteans a calendar they could count on.

What we might describe as the Simpson Family Almanac guarantees that fresh vegetables go on sale in the spring and summer. Pumpkins arrive every fall. Christmas trees appear right after Thanksgiving.

That’s the way the seasons have unfolded at Kings Drive and East Morehead for almost 80 years.

Then came the virus.

“Like the preacher said at David’s funeral, on the first Friday in April when we open up the farmers market and he’s not there, it’s going to be one of our worst days, and it will be,” said Darrell Simpson, who lost his son last week to complications from COVID-19.

David Simpson was 52. He leaves behind a wife, Jeanette, and three children.

David Simpson was best known in Charlotte as the face, brains and smile behind his family’s Christmas tree lot.

David and Darrell Simpson became ill just after Thanksgiving, shortly before the season’s allotment of Christmas trees was scheduled to arrive from the mountains. Mary and Norman soon came down with the virus, too. The father believes the family contracted the disease in Union County, not from mingling with customers.

“Norman, David and all of us all got that COVID, a worse strain than a lot of people get,” Darrell Simpson said over the phone Tuesday, his breathing still labored. “I left the Christmas tree lot knowing I had COVID. I thought I would stay in bed for a week and get over it. But I just got worse and worse.”

Mary and Darrell were hospitalized in Monroe for two weeks. David stayed there for a month. Norman Simpson is still battling COVID-related pneumonia, his father says. The mother and father continue their slow recoveries at home.

At the hospital, David and his parents used to phone each other from their rooms on the second floor. The last time Darrell tried to call his son, David didn’t answer and didn’t call back. Darrell Simpson wonders now if his son felt too ill to respond. The two never spoke again.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #166 on: January 13, 2021, 03:02:15 PM »
Sad situation, but I don't see any COVID connection to Christmas, other than they sold Christmas trees, unless I read it wrong.
Ludum habemus.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #167 on: January 13, 2021, 03:05:06 PM »
Sad situation, but I don't see any COVID connection to Christmas, other than they sold Christmas trees, unless I read it wrong.

Just another chance to push a certain agenda by a certain person.