[Today at 09:16:40 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by brewcity77
[Today at 09:14:22 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 07:22:54 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Big East Poll and NET rankings  (Read 46364 times)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: Big East Poll and NET rankings
« Reply #225 on: March 02, 2021, 10:42:45 AM »
UAPB really doesn't. They were underdogs and forcing OT probably helped them. Green Bay was a favorite and winning would've given them the chance to win again and improve our NET. Though ultimately, I doubt it has much impact.

Less than 24 hours after UWGB's loss, their two top scorers (Amari Davis and Josh Jefferson) entered the transfer portal.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #226 on: March 02, 2021, 10:55:51 AM »

Less than 24 hours after UWGB's loss, their two top scorers (Amari Davis and Josh Jefferson) entered the transfer portal.

That happened prior to the game. Neither played. They also had three other players enter the portal at the same time. Getting Baby BOned?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #227 on: March 02, 2021, 10:57:55 AM »
That happened prior to the game. Neither played. They also had three other players enter the portal at the same time. Getting Baby BOned?

Really?  I only heard about it after the loss, so I assumed it was right after.  I think Will is in for a couple of rough years.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #228 on: March 02, 2021, 11:21:11 AM »
Were any of them their guards that played so well against us?  Granted, that's the only 40 minutes of UWGB basketball I watched this year, but my recollection is that their guards were pretty darn good, albeit smallish.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #229 on: March 02, 2021, 12:11:28 PM »
Were any of them their guards that played so well against us?  Granted, that's the only 40 minutes of UWGB basketball I watched this year, but my recollection is that their guards were pretty darn good, albeit smallish.

One of them played well against us. Josh Jefferson had 17 points, 5 rebounds, 6 assists, 1 turnover but was 3/9 from 2 and 3/11 from 3 so he needed a lot of shots for those 17 points. Amari Davis did not play as well against us, 7 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 turnovers, 2/8 from 2 and 0/1 from 3.

I would not hate picking up Josh Jefferson. He's 6'2 190, has an assist rate of 21.5 (334th in D1) a TO% of 13.6 (359th), and is a capable 3P shooter (34%). I could see him being a very capable ball controlling backup PG.

Davis I don't see translating to the high major level as well. Some high major will likely take a flier on him but I wouldn't expect him to be a major contributor.
TAMU

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #230 on: March 02, 2021, 12:24:47 PM »
One of them played well against us. Josh Jefferson had 17 points, 5 rebounds, 6 assists, 1 turnover but was 3/9 from 2 and 3/11 from 3 so he needed a lot of shots for those 17 points. Amari Davis did not play as well against us, 7 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 turnovers, 2/8 from 2 and 0/1 from 3.

I would not hate picking up Josh Jefferson. He's 6'2 190, has an assist rate of 21.5 (334th in D1) a TO% of 13.6 (359th), and is a capable 3P shooter (34%). I could see him being a very capable ball controlling backup PG.

Davis I don't see translating to the high major level as well. Some high major will likely take a flier on him but I wouldn't expect him to be a major contributor.
Thanks for reply.  I guess my memory is not good...I thought I remembered one of their guards going off from three on us.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #231 on: March 02, 2021, 12:27:12 PM »
Thanks for reply.  I guess my memory is not good...I thought I remembered one of their guards going off from three on us.

Probably remembering PJ Pipes, who went 4/10 from 3, 8/15 overall, and led the Phoenix with 22 points, but he's a senior. No idea his future plans.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #232 on: March 02, 2021, 12:27:56 PM »
Probably remembering PJ Pipes, who went 4/10 from 3, 8/15 overall, and led the Phoenix with 22 points, but he's a senior. No idea his future plans.
That's the one.  Thanks! 

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #233 on: March 02, 2021, 01:25:59 PM »
UAPB really doesn't. They were underdogs and forcing OT probably helped them. Green Bay was a favorite and winning would've given them the chance to win again and improve our NET. Though ultimately, I doubt it has much impact.

Yeah, I just don't see how NET is even relevant at this point.  Its win the BET or bust for Marquette.  Its not like Marquette has a chance of getting in at 8-11, even with a run to the BET final.  If anything, we should be rooting for results that get Nova the #2 seed so someone else can beat them and we don't have to play them in the 2nd round, if we're lucky enough to win next Wednesday.. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #234 on: March 02, 2021, 01:48:38 PM »
Yeah, I just don't see how NET is even relevant at this point.  Its win the BET or bust for Marquette.  Its not like Marquette has a chance of getting in at 8-11, even with a run to the BET final.  If anything, we should be rooting for results that get Nova the #2 seed so someone else can beat them and we don't have to play them in the 2nd round, if we're lucky enough to win next Wednesday..

My hope is for a blowout win tonight to get us to the top-75 of NET. Not for us, but for the resumes of the rest of our league.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #235 on: March 02, 2021, 03:43:53 PM »
My hope is for a blowout win tonight to get us to the top-75 of NET. Not for us, but for the resumes of the rest of our league.

My hope is for a blowout win tonight because I'd like to see us thrash DePaul within an inch of their lives.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #236 on: March 03, 2021, 12:35:34 AM »
Just checked today’s updated NET Marquette # 88 but MU has 4 Quad 1 Wins. Nobody outside of the Top NET 46 has more than 4 Quad 1 Wins.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #237 on: March 03, 2021, 01:04:45 AM »
Just checked today’s updated NET Marquette # 88 but MU has 4 Quad 1 Wins. Nobody outside of the Top NET 46 has more than 4 Quad 1 Wins.

What's the 4th quad 1 win?  We could make the NIT with 2 more wins but I doubt it.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #238 on: March 03, 2021, 01:51:29 AM »
What's the 4th quad 1 win?  We could make the NIT with 2 more wins but I doubt it.

Not sure but believe our 4th Quad 1 Win was Saint John’s NET 74 on the road as defeating a Top 75 NET team on the road qualifies as a Quad 1 Win. Agree with 2 more wins we could maybe make the NIT.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #239 on: March 03, 2021, 02:00:28 AM »
Marquette, Michigan State, Minnesota and Stanford are the 4 Teams with 4 Quad 1 Wins Outside the Top 46 NET.

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #240 on: March 03, 2021, 06:56:20 AM »
 Big East NET rankings as of March 2, 2021

New Old
11   11   Villanova   
23   23   Creighton   
34   35   UConn   
52   53   Seton Hall   
53   50   Xavier   
74   73   St. John's
79   79   Providence   
88   88   Marquette   
89   96   Georgetown   
114   116   Butler   
167   166   DePaul

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #241 on: March 03, 2021, 11:36:05 AM »
Crazy to think that if just a few little things went a little differently that we'd be sitting decently on the bubble.  Say if the vs DePaul, @Prov, and @Xavier were wins (which they all easily could have been), this would be a real solid resume for the bubble.

Despite how poorly we've played, it's only a few turnovers or a couple missed shots away from dancing... which I find astounding.   

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #242 on: March 03, 2021, 11:41:59 AM »
Crazy to think that if just a few little things went a little differently that we'd be sitting decently on the bubble.  Say if the vs DePaul, @Prov, and @Xavier were wins (which they all easily could have been), this would be a real solid resume for the bubble.

Despite how poorly we've played, it's only a few turnovers or a couple missed shots away from dancing... which I find astounding.

Could probably add Seton Hall 1 on there when Koby traveled on the tie making shot.

Of course there's the inverse where we don't win against Wisconsin and we're even farther away from the bubble.
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #243 on: March 03, 2021, 11:55:50 AM »

For me it's more about Lewis' injury. Gotta think a healthy Justin would have made a difference in the losses to SJU, Creighton,  and at Hall.  But it's a roster construction problem when an injury to your sixth man leaves you so shorthanded that you drop as many games as we did.
TAMU

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #244 on: March 03, 2021, 11:57:45 AM »

Well just about every team can say that. If you are going to look at games they could have won, then you have to look at games they could have lost, it usually evens out
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 11:59:56 AM by hairy worthen »

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #245 on: March 03, 2021, 03:39:24 PM »

Yeah, honestly don't even need the @PC game.  Beat Depaul, and don't have that kid hit a prayer at the buzzer @X, and Marquette is 13-10 and very much in the bubble conversation. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #246 on: March 03, 2021, 04:57:40 PM »

It’s not astounding at all.  That’s sports.  If we hadn’t been completely lucky on the Lewis tip, we wouldn’t have beat Wisconsin.  If Zegarowski hadn’t shot himself in the d!ck the first time we played Creighton, that would also likely have been a loss.  And there go our two best wins.

Not astounding at all.  Over the course of a season, things tend to even out and you are what you are.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #247 on: March 03, 2021, 05:57:26 PM »
It’s not astounding at all.  That’s sports.  If we hadn’t been completely lucky on the Lewis tip, we wouldn’t have beat Wisconsin.  If Zegarowski hadn’t shot himself in the d!ck the first time we played Creighton, that would also likely have been a loss.  And there go our two best wins.

Not astounding at all.  Over the course of a season, things tend to even out and you are what you are.
I think the overall point is that unless you are really good the season is going to fall on the outcome of a few games. Be on the right side of those games like Buzz's second team, which won three straight overtime games or on the wrong side like Buzz' last team. I forget how many teams that 17-15 team lost in overtime and some of them were double overtimes.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #248 on: March 03, 2021, 10:54:08 PM »

Good news ATL. Pipes has now also entered the transfer portal. Don't like him as much as Jefferson personally, but making 2.4 threes a game with 41% accuracy likely gets you a spot somewhere on a high major roster.
TAMU

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #249 on: March 03, 2021, 11:02:29 PM »

That Wisconsin game game was back and forth the entire game. Sure, just like a lot of the losses that we could have won. This is a game that we "could have lost" but we sure as hell were not lucky to win it.

Creighton. Meh. We had a shot to tie them at home as well. Again, could be 0-2 against them. But it wasn't some egregious fluke.

The moral of all this is. Even with how blatantly flawed and overall blahhhh this team is. Weve really not matched up with two teams(Nova and UConn). Everything else has been competitive. Like really competitive.

And that is actually astounding, because we really are not good. But if Lewis was healthy its reasonable to believe a couple of 1 possession losses go our way. Which is more reasonable then you saying we are lucky because Creightons guy actually played and authored his own fate into to the ground. THat argument works better if Zagarowski was out.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....