Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Fine-buff  (Read 7216 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Fine-buff
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2020, 09:59:29 AM »
At least some of the crowd noise isn't fake, but it's not live. They asked fans to submit "We Are Marquette" chants to include with the noise. So when they have the chant, it's the compilation of a number of fan submitted audio files.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2020, 07:03:05 PM »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2020, 07:27:42 PM »

Very excited to see more from the new guys. Garcia would start for any school in the country.

I was very impressed with Garcia. But crowning him the best player at his position in the country might be a little premature.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2020, 07:43:59 PM »
I was very impressed with Garcia. But crowning him the best player at his position in the country might be a little premature.

Not saying it’s 100% correct

But I think he’s also alluding to the fact that Garcia’s game seems like he could play a few different positions to fit on all teams.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2020, 08:00:45 PM »
Hyperbole

noun
exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.

Example:

Garcia could start on any team in the country.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2020, 09:20:13 PM »
I do occasionally use hyperbole intentionally. This was not one of those times.

What it was, was an opinion. I certainly could be wrong, and I obviously can’t prove it.

It would have been better had I  hedged a little, saying something along the lines of, “I think Garcia would start for most if not all programs. Such a tall, smart, highly skilled player is quite uncommon.”
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2020, 09:52:18 PM »
I do occasionally use hyperbole intentionally. This was not one of those times.

What it was, was an opinion. I certainly could be wrong, and I obviously can’t prove it.

It would have been better had I  hedged a little, saying something along the lines of, “I think Garcia would start for most if not all programs. Such a tall, smart, highly skilled player is quite uncommon.”

I hope your opinion proves to be correct. If so, he’s definitely all Big East (POY?) this year and at worst probably a 2nd team All American. He’ll be a one and done lottery pick, but this year will be awesome.

My opinion is he looked really good last night against Arkansas Pine Bluff. I think he has a really bright future.

Some insist it takes 5 years (or more) to judge a coach. I disagree, but maybe we take at least 5 games to fully evaluate Garcia.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 09:57:26 PM by Lennys Tap »

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2020, 10:01:58 PM »
There are things you can say about last night and things you can't say.

Can Say:
1) The game reminded me of the old games we once played against Athletes in Action. It's an exhibition to try out offensive and defensive strategies. Nothing more.
2) This team looked more like some of the old Buzz teams. Passing, looking for each other and forgoing shorts in favor of finding the wide open teammate. In the past, unless the teammate was Katlin Reinhardt, Andrew Rowsey or Markus Howard, people never passed for the open guy.
3) How long this lasts is anyone's guess. Against a really good team, the game Marquette played last night was physically taxing. Will they continue when they face Villanova, or will they just pass around the perimeter. That remains to be seen.
4) That APB player who picked a fight with the Theonator was nuts. Had he pushed it, his life span would have been about six seconds.

Can't Say
5) We're any good. Like saying we were good because we beat Athletes in Action.
6) Dawson Garcia is all world. It's one game people. He showed a lot, but curb your enthusiasm for a week.
7) DJ Carton has problems. It's one game, people.

Let's see how this plays out in the next 10 days.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2020, 10:32:25 PM »
I hope your opinion proves to be correct. If so, he’s definitely all Big East (POY?) this year and at worst probably a 2nd team All American. He’ll be a one and done lottery pick, but this year will be awesome.

My opinion is he looked really good last night against Arkansas Pine Bluff. I think he has a really bright future.

Some insist it takes 5 years (or more) to judge a coach. I disagree, but maybe we take at least 5 games to fully evaluate Garcia.

I’m with you Lenny.  Too early to tell anything.  Still excited though until tomorrow if we only win by 10.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2020, 10:37:10 PM »

There are a lot of players who could start for most college teams who aren't All-Americans. I mean, Henry wasn't an All-American; you don't think he would have started for most teams? Jimmy Butler was only honorable mention All-Big East as a senior, yet I think almost every coach in America would have valued him extremely highly and started him. Kentucky and Duke each has several starters every year who aren't All-Americans.

Unless you are being facetious and/or I'm simply misreading you, I don't get what you're saying.

So you don't think a highly recruited McDonald's All-American who is tall and skilled would start for most teams? That's all I said (I at first said "all," yes, but I later hedged). I never said anything about him being All-anything.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2020, 10:42:22 PM »
There are a lot of players who could start for most college teams who aren't All-Americans. I mean, Henry wasn't an All-American; you don't think he would have started for most teams?

It depends on your definition of "most teams" but strictly from a numerical standpoint, my guess is every scholarship player on our roster would start for 200+ college teams. Basically anyone outside the top 6-7 leagues would have room for just about any of our guys in the starting lineup. I would guess our best players would probably start for closer to 300+ teams, which would include Garcia. But most McDonald's All-Americans expect to start from day one, even at high-major programs.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2020, 09:06:19 AM »
But most McDonald's All-Americans expect to start from day one, even at high-major programs.

While I agree with your entire post,  this sentence is what I had in mind when I said what I did about Garcia.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2020, 09:15:44 AM »
Hyperbole

noun
exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.

Example:

Garcia could start on any team in the country.

The hyperbole here is ridiculous sometimes and is why I build silly polls on who is going to transfer.   It is all absurd.

MU has some nice young players and it will be interesting watching how they develop.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2020, 10:07:06 AM »
There are a lot of players who could start for most college teams who aren't All-Americans. I mean, Henry wasn't an All-American; you don't think he would have started for most teams? Jimmy Butler was only honorable mention All-Big East as a senior, yet I think almost every coach in America would have valued him extremely highly and started him. Kentucky and Duke each has several starters every year who aren't All-Americans.

Unless you are being facetious and/or I'm simply misreading you, I don't get what you're saying.

So you don't think a highly recruited McDonald's All-American who is tall and skilled would start for most teams? That's all I said (I at first said "all," yes, but I later hedged). I never said anything about him being All-anything.

I don’t want to fight with you, Mike, but first you said ALL, then you said most, if not all and now you say most. Those are 3 very different designations. ALL (as a freshman) means superstar, All American, Zaire Williamson/Anthony Davis. The Bulls just took a big  and skilled guy with the #4 pick in the draft who not only wouldn’t have started with every college team as a freshman - he didn’t even start at his own school (Florida State).

Dawson Garcia was #36 in his class’s RSCI - in the same general area as Dominique James, JJJ and Vander Blue. Two of those three started as freshmen at MU and all three would have started at most (more than half) of D1 schools. None would have started at all of them. Not even close.

Now maybe Garcia will be our Zion or Anthony Davis. That would be awesome. But one game against Pine Bluff isn’t enough evidence for me.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2020, 12:09:25 PM »
I don’t want to fight with you, Mike, but first you said ALL, then you said most, if not all and now you say most. Those are 3 very different designations. ALL (as a freshman) means superstar, All American, Zaire Williamson/Anthony Davis. The Bulls just took a big  and skilled guy with the #4 pick in the draft who not only wouldn’t have started with every college team as a freshman - he didn’t even start at his own school (Florida State).

Dawson Garcia was #36 in his class’s RSCI - in the same general area as Dominique James, JJJ and Vander Blue. Two of those three started as freshmen at MU and all three would have started at most (more than half) of D1 schools. None would have started at all of them. Not even close.

Now maybe Garcia will be our Zion or Anthony Davis. That would be awesome. But one game against Pine Bluff isn’t enough evidence for me.

I don’t think Dawson would start for every program in the country. But:

1) Do you mean Zion Williamson? Or Ziaire Williams?
2) Why would you have to be a First Team All American and the top pick in the NBA Draft to be someone who would start on every team in America? Last I checked, there are no teams in college basketball that have the 5 best players in the country. That’s silly.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2020, 12:11:01 PM »
I don’t think Dawson would start for every program in the country. But:

1) Do you mean Zion Williamson? Or Ziaire Williams?
2) Why would you have to be a First Team All American and the top pick in the NBA Draft to be someone who would start on every team in America? Last I checked, there are no teams in college basketball that have the 5 best players in the country. That’s silly.

Not to mention NBA drafts on things much different than scoring good PT in college.

Markus would have started on every single team last year whether it was at the 1 or the 2. He didnt even get drafted.

So I am not sure why that FSU guy going 4th was a reference point.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2020, 12:15:41 PM »
Not to mention NBA drafts on things much different than scoring good PT in college.

Markus would have started on every single team last year whether it was at the 1 or the 2. He didnt even get drafted.

So I am not sure why that FSU guy going 4th was a reference point.

Carson Edwards two years ago is an example as well. He would have started on every single team but was drafted in the 2nd round.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2020, 12:17:05 PM »

You guys are really getting into the fine points of the argument and then looking at them under the microscope. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2020, 12:38:46 PM »
You guys are really getting into the fine points of the argument and then looking at them under the microscope.

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2020, 12:43:27 PM »

OK, Tony. Happy Day After Thanksgiving.

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2020, 12:49:47 PM »
We won by 42 against a weak team. That is what a talented MU team is supposed to do in games like this.  So performance met expectation.

My biggest takeaway is the kids seemed to enjoy moving the ball around, I think that collaboration is something the team can build off of. Everyone got minutes so that is also an asset to build from as well.

This years non conference is shorter, but we should have a good idea where the team is by the end of it.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2020, 12:51:49 PM »
We won by 42 against a weak team. That is what a talented MU team is supposed to do in games like this.  So performance met expectation.

My biggest takeaway is the kids seemed to enjoy moving the ball around, I think that collaboration is something the team can build off of. Everyone got minutes so that is also an asset to build from as well.

This years non conference is shorter, but we should have a good idea where the team is by the end of it.

I agree with this analysis.

There was no adversity so we have to see if the unselfishness sticks when things get a little tougher. Might get a better idea tonight.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2020, 02:30:31 PM »
4) That APB player who picked a fight with the Theonator was nuts. Had he pushed it, his life span would have been about six seconds.

I have never seen a player throw a punch and then immediately demonstrate such profound regret. I think it was more the immediate realization that he was going to be ejected, but there had to have been a hint of, "thank goodness he decided not to retaliate and end my life." thrown in for good measure.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2020, 03:01:42 PM »
I have never seen a player throw a punch and then immediately demonstrate such profound regret. I think it was more the immediate realization that he was going to be ejected, but there had to have been a hint of, "thank goodness he decided not to retaliate and end my life." thrown in for good measure.

The kid is from Milwaukee and was amped up in his first college game, in the FF no less. He apologized to Theo on the way off the floor

tower912

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2020, 03:26:56 PM »
It was a split second reaction.    The kid felt bad, they made peace, and it is over.    The officials still had to eject him.    Closed fist.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback