[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[April 29, 2024, 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 29, 2024, 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Traffic ticket issue  (Read 9113 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Traffic ticket issue
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2020, 02:58:39 PM »
Well, you lived to tell this this story. So, obviously you're white and privileged, or simply did what the officer told you to do. You'll get your day in court. Life's lessons, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU11W

• Walk-On
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2020, 03:19:38 PM »
Well, you lived to tell this this story. So, obviously you're white and privileged, or simply did what the officer told you to do. You'll get your day in court. Life's lessons, hey?

Thank you for such a relevant and insightful comment. I'm sure that completely answers OP's questions

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2020, 03:20:11 PM »

I guess next time I'll stop in the most right spot I can in an active lane and will probably be cited for putting the officers life in danger.... Sigh.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2020, 03:22:29 PM »
FWIW I handled a speeding ticket for my sister in law in Racine, speeding on the interstate changed to a parking ticket, no points, added about $200 in "court costs" to the tab. That's an example of a shakedown operation where you could have the entire College of Cardinals as witnesses to you doing nothing wrong and it wouldn't matter. They're just out for the money.
Yep that's what I'm afraid of right now. It just annoys me that places like Sussex would do this to honest people. Gives a bad name for the town and the sheriff department.

I'd totally fight it but I don't know how Wis handles these. I fought a couple in Illinois, no lawyer, and won.

Whatever you decide to do, let us know how everything turns out. I'll be rooting for you.

Thanks bud! After talking with a few lawyers the cost of them seems to be even more then the citations, so I guess going in and arguing them myself is probably the best bet.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2020, 03:45:49 PM »
Thanks bud! After talking with a few lawyers the cost of them seems to be even more then the citations, so I guess going in and arguing them myself is probably the best bet.

As others have said, go in with some concrete evidence. Good luck!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2020, 03:49:24 PM »
Yep that's what I'm afraid of right now. It just annoys me that places like Sussex would do this to honest people. Gives a bad name for the town and the sheriff department.

i'm one of the most "pro-cop" guys here.  know a lot of them, but this sounds like an unforced error and/or rookie mistake.  not the kind of stop that would inspire "atta boys" in the locker room.  only thing i can think is maybe they had some kind of "be on the look out" thing and this deputy dog thought he was pulling over john dillinger
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2020, 03:54:31 PM »
i'm one of the most "pro-cop" guys here.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't know of a single Scooper who is "anti-cop." Many of us simply hold them to a high standard of, you know, not terrorizing people.

but this sounds like an unforced error and/or rookie mistake.  not the kind of stop that would inspire "atta boys" in the locker room.  only thing i can think is maybe they had some kind of "be on the look out" thing and this deputy dog thought he was pulling over john dillinger

careful, rocketman, that sounds kinda anti-cop.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2020, 03:59:47 PM »
For reference, here is the reason for the initial stop  ::)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2020, 05:14:07 PM »
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't know of a single Scooper who is "anti-cop." Many of us simply hold them to a high standard of, you know, not terrorizing people.

careful, rocketman, that sounds kinda anti-cop.

nope, just being honest and "nonpartisan"  too many good cops to catch a bad name for actions of a few...
don't...don't don't don't don't

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2020, 05:21:10 PM »

Sussex, WI?  They nail delivery drivers ALL the time in that town for petty violations.  Our company specifically routes drivers a certain way to avoid fines.  I haven’t been in town in years but it used to be a speed trap.  Not remotely surprised you got this ticket in Sussex. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2020, 10:20:29 PM »
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't know of a single Scooper who is "anti-cop."

Mike

Good one! We always can use a good laugh!!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2020, 06:04:50 AM »
Mike

Good one! We always can use a good laugh!!

Tony:

Please define "anti-cop," and then show examples of Scoopers who are.

For example, I don't think police officers should do to people what they did to George Floyd, and I know a very small minority of police officers do those kinds of things. Am I anti-cop?

You don't think Black folks should riot like a very small minority of them did after what happened to George Floyd. Are you "anti-Black"?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2020, 07:12:42 AM »
Tony:

Please define "anti-cop," and then show examples of Scoopers who are.

For example, I don't think police officers should do to people what they did to George Floyd, and I know a very small minority of police officers do those kinds of things. Am I anti-cop?

You don't think Black folks should riot like a very small minority of them did after what happened to George Floyd. Are you "anti-Black"?

“A very small minority of (fill in the blank - cops, priests, journalists, financial advisors, the entire human race) are not good people” is nothing more than a statement of obvious fact - not anti anything.

Perhaps I’m misremembering, but I think the vitriol against cops here went a whole lot further than mild “a few bad apples” criticism.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2020, 07:24:19 AM »
“A very small minority of (fill in the blank - cops, priests, journalists, financial advisors, the entire human race) are not good people” is nothing more than a statement of obvious fact - not anti anything.

Perhaps I’m misremembering, but I think the vitriol against cops here went a whole lot further than mild “a few bad apples” criticism.

There is plenty of source material for you to comb through.

Buzzed

• Walk-On
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2020, 07:26:28 AM »
This has nothing to do with a good cop or bad cop.  The cop wrote three petty tickets without giving him a break, but they were legit tickets.  If he fights it, then he will be hoping the judge gives him a break.  You have to think of it in context.  99% of a beat cop's time in a small town is doing nothing waiting for a call.  Having a police force is expensive, so a lot of municipalities utilize cops to generate revenue to offset that cost.  You can actually see how much the municipality anticipates in their budget, such as Milwaukee that has a line for parking enforcement.  That is where actual or implied quotas come in.  Unless that cop is a pure A-hole, he wrote the tickets to hit his quota and based on his experience he anticipates the judge collecting the revenue for at least ticket 1 and 3.  His break to you was telling you 2 for insurance will get tossed once you show proof in court.

An old timer Milwaukee cop once put it in perspective for me.  The only ticket he ever got was when he was in uniform.  He left straight from work to go deer hunting up north.  Way up north about 5am he got pulled over by state trooper for going 4 miles over.  He was in uniform and the state trooper literally talked to him like they were brothers.  At the end of their conversation state patrol still handed him the ticket.  He wasn't mad though he didn't catch a break because he knew how hard the state trooper's job was.  Where he was, the state trooper would see very few cars a day and he had a quota to hit.  Since he was a state trooper if he didn't hit his quota or wasn't performing, then he was at risk of getting moved anywhere in the state.  Having a wife and kids in school then getting stationed 5 hours away in Platteville makes it pretty tough to even give other cops a break.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2020, 07:31:14 AM »

I happen to believe (and I think statistics show) that there is systemic racism in policing. Again, that does not mean that I am "anti-cop" or that I am not "pro-cop." It means that I think there is a need for some changes in how we do policing in America. Those who think things are just peachy, well, they are free to disagree.

BTW, there is systemic racism in education, too, and I am definitely "pro-teacher" and "pro-education."

Of course, we wouldn't be discussing this at all here if our resident dentists hadn't sought to politicize this thread.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2020, 07:35:09 AM »
Just the facts, Nads, just the facts, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2020, 07:37:56 AM »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2020, 08:11:31 AM »

Yep. Just the facts that being Black can be a death sentence if the wrong cops are on the case.

Dunno why you would disagree with that ... unless you're "anti-Black."

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2020, 08:21:32 AM »
I see y'all just want a society without rules. That chaos should end well, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2020, 08:40:42 AM »
I see y'all just want a society without rules. That chaos should end well, aina?

Yes. That's what all of us want. No rules at all.

For example, it's A-OK for a presidential candidate to use campaign finance money to buy the silence of women he's cheated on his wife with.

And if George Floyd had the temerity to be Black, he deserved to have the life choked out of him by a noble, courageous police officer while three of his dedicated, honorable co-workers stood by watching. Cuz there was no chaos at all there.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2020, 10:10:31 AM »
This has nothing to do with a good cop or bad cop.  The cop wrote three petty tickets without giving him a break, but they were legit tickets.  If he fights it, then he will be hoping the judge gives him a break.  You have to think of it in context.  99% of a beat cop's time in a small town is doing nothing waiting for a call.  Having a police force is expensive, so a lot of municipalities utilize cops to generate revenue to offset that cost.  You can actually see how much the municipality anticipates in their budget, such as Milwaukee that has a line for parking enforcement.  That is where actual or implied quotas come in.  Unless that cop is a pure A-hole, he wrote the tickets to hit his quota and based on his experience he anticipates the judge collecting the revenue for at least ticket 1 and 3.  His break to you was telling you 2 for insurance will get tossed once you show proof in court.

An old timer Milwaukee cop once put it in perspective for me.  The only ticket he ever got was when he was in uniform.  He left straight from work to go deer hunting up north.  Way up north about 5am he got pulled over by state trooper for going 4 miles over.  He was in uniform and the state trooper literally talked to him like they were brothers.  At the end of their conversation state patrol still handed him the ticket.  He wasn't mad though he didn't catch a break because he knew how hard the state trooper's job was.  Where he was, the state trooper would see very few cars a day and he had a quota to hit.  Since he was a state trooper if he didn't hit his quota or wasn't performing, then he was at risk of getting moved anywhere in the state.  Having a wife and kids in school then getting stationed 5 hours away in Platteville makes it pretty tough to even give other cops a break.

If a police officer's only reason for existence is to write enough petty tickets to pay for his existence... maybe that police officer's job shouldn't exist.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2020, 10:31:22 AM »

While I'm sure there are some anarchists out there, 99.9% of people want a society with rules. We should all want those rules to be just and to be enforced correctly and equitably no matter who is doing the enforcing and who is doing the rulebreaking, aina?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2020, 10:33:12 AM »
If a police officer's only reason for existence is to write enough petty tickets to pay for his existence... maybe that police officer's job shouldn't exist.

I would say if there are ticket quotas then the quota should be eliminated.

feedback