[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Extra year of eligibility for winter athletes?  (Read 9257 times)

The Big East

• All American
Re: Extra year of eligibility for winter athletes?
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2020, 01:06:00 PM »
I guess the question is if one has to play the 2020-21 season to get the extra COVID year. If that's the only shortened year, I can see playing that season being a requirement. Maybe play 20-21 and sit out a later year? Obviously that's not the plan, though.
As I understand it, it’s just giving someone six seasons to complete five years of eligibility, so you can redshirt this year.
I don't believe this is correct. I think the first option is redshirt this year, play 2021-2024.
I think the question we need answered is  does Perez get three more years or two. If he gets three that would be a nice windfall .

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2020, 02:18:05 PM »
I see two negative consequences connected with this.
Allow extra scholarships and financially challenged programs have additional costs associated with extra players on scholarship.
However, I think the big thing is that you are potentially taking away scholarships from incoming players.

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2020, 03:52:19 PM »
I see two negative consequences connected with this.
Allow extra scholarships and financially challenged programs have additional costs associated with extra players on scholarship.
However, I think the big thing is that you are potentially taking away scholarships from incoming players.
The other potential is that some of the mid and low major programs end up with some quality players that have been displaced in this process . That would bring college basketball to where it was in the late 60s and 70s where those kind of schools frequently had some great players and teams ( in those days because of inefficiency of recruiting methods)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2020, 07:21:36 PM »
The other potential is that some of the mid and low major programs end up with some quality players that have been displaced in this process . That would bring college basketball to where it was in the late 60s and 70s where those kind of schools frequently had some great players and teams ( in those days because of inefficiency of recruiting methods)

Not really, because those players count against team limits whereas returners who were supposed to exhaust eligibility this year don’t. The headcount expansion is only for players returning to the same program.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2020, 08:32:08 PM »
Not really, because those players count against team limits whereas returners who were supposed to exhaust eligibility this year don’t. The headcount expansion is only for players returning to the same program.
I was responding to Bilsu post about taking scholarships away from incoming. My sense is many schools won’t Elect to have monster rosters and some good kids will migrate to lower levels as a result.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2020, 09:38:24 AM »
I was responding to Bilsu post about taking scholarships away from incoming. My sense is many schools won’t Elect to have monster rosters and some good kids will migrate to lower levels as a result.
You could be right about this, but then they are pushing out lower level players that would have got scholarships to those schools. I believe there will be less current year senior high school players receiving basketball scholarships. They are the unintended victims of this.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2020, 12:20:40 PM »

and when they do that more kids are going to be pushed out since there is no right to appeal for seniors who have their scholarships canceled. Yet one more area where the trickle-down theory screws people over.

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2020, 12:50:02 PM »
You could be right about this, but then they are pushing out lower level players that would have got scholarships to those schools. I believe there will be less current year senior high school players receiving basketball scholarships. They are the unintended victims of this.
I agree that there are unintended victims of this policy. My guess is that some of those players will drop down to DII where they will still receive scholarships . Bottom line is with 20 percent more players someone is going to be pushed down.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2020, 02:39:20 PM »
I think the question we need answered is  does Perez get three more years or two. If he gets three that would be a nice windfall .

As of right now he gets two years. Those sitting out this year will not get the season back unless the NCAA changes the current rule.

feedback