collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: wild fires  (Read 5308 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: wild fires
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2020, 10:26:14 PM »
It's part of why I'm a big fan of Milwaukee. Snow's not great, but not as bad as Minnesota or further north, no real natural disaster threats, and no tornadoes have struck the city proper in ages. As far as disasters go, we're pretty isolated from them.

Cryptosporidium has entered the chat.   ;D

I remember a January tornado warning when I was still at MU, probably January 2000.  Bizarre. 

Keithtisbarf

• Walk-On
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2020, 11:47:24 PM »
It%u2019s unbelievable that there are people stupid enough to not evacuate when there is a high danger of being burned alive. What does it take for people to believe the danger is real?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 11:59:18 PM by Keithtisbarf »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2020, 06:49:21 AM »

I remember a January tornado warning when I was still at MU, probably January 2000.  Bizarre.

My sister used Crypto as a blanket speeding excuse. When she got pulled over, she just put on her most pleading face and told the Sheriff "I really, really have to poop like NOW!" :D
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2020, 07:10:54 AM »
It%u2019s unbelievable that there are people stupid enough to not evacuate when there is a high danger of being burned alive. What does it take for people to believe the danger is real?

People don't believe anything anymore. The value of expertise has never been lower. And too many have a false sense of security - calamities only impact everyone else, & can be viewed through a cell phone screen like reality TV.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2020, 07:56:51 AM »

It was in March

https://www.weather.gov/mkx/030800_mke-county-tornado
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2020, 08:01:10 AM »

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2020, 10:35:05 AM »

It was in March

https://www.weather.gov/mkx/030800_mke-county-tornado

My uncle had a Schwinn dealership on Loomis @ 894, his sign was damaged in the wind storm a few years earlier but his insurance declined his claim. After the tornado near the airport his agent got the sign covered as tornado damage even though it was miles away from his dealership.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2020, 02:01:52 PM »
My uncle had a Schwinn dealership on Loomis @ 894, his sign was damaged in the wind storm a few years earlier but his insurance declined his claim. After the tornado near the airport his agent got the sign covered as tornado damage even though it was miles away from his dealership.

I know that store - east side of Loomis, just south of 894! I'm betting you mean the straight-line wind event in May 1998? That one did an awful lot of damage in the Greendale/Greenfield area.

I lived a few miles down Loomis in Greendale, and we had three big oak trees land on our garage in that storm and were without power for almost a week.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2020, 02:33:52 PM »
I know that store - east side of Loomis, just south of 894! I'm betting you mean the straight-line wind event in May 1998? That one did an awful lot of damage in the Greendale/Greenfield area.

I lived a few miles down Loomis in Greendale, and we had three big oak trees land on our garage in that storm and were without power for almost a week.

Yup, the straight-line wind of whatever year that was.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2020, 04:17:31 PM »
Derecho.  1998.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2020, 04:21:32 PM »
Derecho.  1998.

Yep, it was definitely 1998. That was the year we moved from Wisconsin to Minnesota. We were just getting ready to put our house on the market, when suddenly we had three huge oak trees on top of the garage and a substantially less ‘wooded lot’ to advertise in the sale brochure.  :(

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2020, 04:22:06 PM »
Derecho.  1998.

Oh yeah.  That was the night of my bro-in-law's bachelor party.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2020, 05:22:31 PM »
I worked it.  A few fire stories from that one.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2020, 08:01:06 PM »
  "Cryptosporidium has entered the chat.   ;D"

and we didn't even need a mask mandate, but no thanks to the drive thru testing ;D ;D
don't...don't don't don't don't

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2020, 09:04:19 AM »
On top of everything else, 2020 might be a bad year for California and Oregon wines.

https://apnews.com/article/virus-outbreak-wildfires-oregon-fires-wineries-ecead6f181c11c6110f017c9af8e63a2

No one knows the extent of the smoke damage to the crop, and growers are trying to assess the severity. If tainted grapes are made into wine without steps to minimize the harm or weed out the damaged fruit, the result could be wine so bad that it cannot be marketed.

The wildfires are likely to be “without question the single worst disaster the wine-grape growing community has ever faced,” said John Aguirre, president of the California Association of Winegrape Growers.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2020, 06:05:23 PM »
On top of everything else, 2020 might be a bad year for California and Oregon wines.

https://apnews.com/article/virus-outbreak-wildfires-oregon-fires-wineries-ecead6f181c11c6110f017c9af8e63a2

No one knows the extent of the smoke damage to the crop, and growers are trying to assess the severity. If tainted grapes are made into wine without steps to minimize the harm or weed out the damaged fruit, the result could be wine so bad that it cannot be marketed.

The wildfires are likely to be “without question the single worst disaster the wine-grape growing community has ever faced,” said John Aguirre, president of the California Association of Winegrape Growers.

There's already a glut of wines with so many people opening wineries that prices were coming down. This will balance that out.

A few years ago, wildfires in Southern Oregon caused the crop down there to be badly damaged and rejected by some wineries. Oregon wineries came together to use the rejected grapes to make wine with all proceeds going to the affected growers. I bought some, it wasn't bad.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2019/03/06/698248352/oregon-wineries-come-together-to-save-grapes-rejected-for-smoke-taint
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

feedback