collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2020-21 NFL Season  (Read 247526 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: 2020-21 NFL Season
« Reply #975 on: December 15, 2020, 10:46:22 AM »
I personally liked the inference that Reid and the Chiefs couldn’t have known Mahomes was good or loved him that much if they didn’t trade up to get him. Almost like part of a coach and GM’s job in the draft is knowing where other teams are leading and when to hold for value.

Bridgewater hasn't been horrible, but he hasn't been good. He has had a chance to lead a winning or tying drive 7 times, and he is 0-for-7. All of the failures weren't his fault, but he certainly was not part of the solution. He is a caretaker QB, holding the position warm for whomever the Panthers deem is their QB of the future. I'm not in love with any of the QBs not named Trevor in this draft, but I admit that I don't follow college football as closely as many.

It’s not 1983, but it’s not a terrible QB draft. Fields and Lawrence are gone in the first 2 picks, so that is what it is. But Zach Wilson from BYU, Mac Jones from Bama, Trask from Florida, and Trey Lance from ND St are all really solid looking pro prospects.  Especially somewhere like Carolina where they can sit for a year or two with Teddy at the helm and a great back like CMC to aid them

MU82

• All American
« Reply #976 on: December 15, 2020, 10:56:35 AM »
I personally liked the inference that Reid and the Chiefs couldn’t have known Mahomes was good or loved him that much if they didn’t trade up to get him. Almost like part of a coach and GM’s job in the draft is knowing where other teams are leading and when to hold for value.

It’s not 1983, but it’s not a terrible QB draft. Fields and Lawrence are gone in the first 2 picks, so that is what it is. But Zach Wilson from BYU, Mac Jones from Bama, Trask from Florida, and Trey Lance from ND St are all really solid looking pro prospects.  Especially somewhere like Carolina where they can sit for a year or two with Teddy at the helm and a great back like CMC to aid them

I've read similar, so thanks for the confirmation. The Panthers have some nice, young parts but they still need so much that drafting a QB who isn't a sure thing makes me a little nervous, but I guess I have little choice but to trust the decision-makers.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #977 on: December 15, 2020, 10:57:55 AM »

Exactly.  Although that can backfire too.

http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/packers/ravens-lewis-went-a-pick-too-soon-for-packers-308j3sf-189135481.html/
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #978 on: December 15, 2020, 11:12:29 AM »
Umm ... he did

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=60782.msg1287570#msg1287570
and yes, the Chiefs management absolutely knew he was their franchise QB when they drafted him. Is that 'everybody'? no. did he get the start his rookie season because Smith broke his leg 10 months in the future while starting for a different team? no.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #979 on: December 15, 2020, 11:15:58 AM »
and yes, the Chiefs management absolutely knew he was their franchise QB when they drafted him. Is that 'everybody'? no. did he get the start his rookie season because Smith broke his leg 10 months in the future while starting for a different team? no.

Smith's injury was SO BAD, it apparently made a now non-existent Chief's quarterback lose his starting job to Patrick Mahomes.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #980 on: December 15, 2020, 09:29:30 PM »
The NFL will prohibit mandatory local bubbles during the postseason.  But it will continue to allow teams to voluntarily house players in hotels:

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/nfl-memo-mandatory-bubbles-postseason-play/story?id=74749874

Other things their memo today mandated:

-Mandated that daily testing continue for seven days after the completion of a team's season.

• Clarified that players who are cleared on game day from isolation protocols will be eligible to participate.

• Changed return-to-play protocols for asymptomatic individuals, who will no longer be allowed to return after two consecutive negative tests and instead must wait a full 10 days after the positive specimen was passed while also getting clearance from a physician.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #981 on: December 16, 2020, 12:35:40 AM »
He doesn't get the ball in the red zone. Hes basically a time share with Williams and thats god forbid if they do run the ball. HIs attempts and percentage of attempts are far lower than most of the other top 10ish backs.

Pack love their Rodgers td stat padding they will let Aaron throw 4 times from the 1 before giving it to Jones.

His average carries per game are more middling compared to other top flight backs as well.

Rodgers is the MVP right now so it's not exactly a bad thing to let him fling it. Unless youre Jones and you are looking to get paid and treated like a top NFL back. Which is why I think he goes elsewhere.

I look at this entire season as a tendency breaker. Jones scored 26 TDs last year, many of them in goal to go or redzone situations. Rodgers is infinitely more comfortable in the offense. Take your pick.

Jones is incredibly valuable for what he does, as well as what he's a constant threat to do. He's every bit as good as Kamara. I don't know if the Packers re-sign him, but it would change the entire complexion of the offense.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #982 on: December 16, 2020, 06:32:11 AM »
I look at this entire season as a tendency breaker. Jones scored 26 TDs last year, many of them in goal to go or redzone situations. Rodgers is infinitely more comfortable in the offense. Take your pick.

Jones is incredibly valuable for what he does, as well as what he's a constant threat to do. He's every bit as good as Kamara. I don't know if the Packers re-sign him, but it would change the entire complexion of the offense.

Jones had 19 touchdowns last year.

He was averaging 18.9 touches per game last year. He’s averaging 19.0 touches per game this year.

He’s a great back. But he’s also running behind an incredible offensive line. He’ll go wherever the money takes him.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #983 on: December 16, 2020, 06:52:18 AM »
I don’t think the Packers would’ve drafted AJ Dillon so high if they planned on paying Jones big $$.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #984 on: December 16, 2020, 08:35:05 AM »
I don’t think the Packers would’ve drafted AJ Dillon so high if they planned on paying Jones big $$.

Which isn't great, because he has not looked impressive at all in the little bit of time he's found himself on the field.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #985 on: December 16, 2020, 10:00:43 AM »
Which isn't great, because he has not looked impressive at all in the little bit of time he's found himself on the field.

23 rushes for 97 yards averaging 4.2/carry.   As a rookie.  Against three pretty good defenses.

He will be fine.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #986 on: December 16, 2020, 10:04:12 AM »
23 rushes for 97 yards averaging 4.2/carry.   As a rookie.  Against three pretty good defenses.

He will be fine.

He's also missed half the season with Covid.  At the very least the jury is out on him.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #987 on: December 16, 2020, 01:35:21 PM »
Will we have the space to sign Williams? I can’t see us paying top dollar for Jones, but if Williams’ price is reasonable, I could see it.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #988 on: December 16, 2020, 02:05:25 PM »
Will we have the space to sign Williams? I can’t see us paying top dollar for Jones, but if Williams’ price is reasonable, I could see it.

Please no.  He averages under 4 per carry for his career.  He is a fine backup, but they'd better not throw money at him.

IMO, its better to draft a RB every year or two and just ride em until their rookie deal is done and then let them chase money elsewhere.  What the Packers did with Eddie Lacy is perfect.  RBs take too much abuse, and signing them to a deal after their rookie deal for a pile of money is generally foolish.  Spend the money on the OL and any college back can run behind some great blockers.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #989 on: December 16, 2020, 02:23:37 PM »
Please no.  He averages under 4 per carry for his career.  He is a fine backup, but they'd better not throw money at him.

IMO, its better to draft a RB every year or two and just ride em until their rookie deal is done and then let them chase money elsewhere.  What the Packers did with Eddie Lacy is perfect.  RBs take too much abuse, and signing them to a deal after their rookie deal for a pile of money is generally foolish.  Spend the money on the OL and any college back can run behind some great blockers.

Absolutely re-sign him - if you can do it for backup money.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #990 on: December 16, 2020, 02:48:48 PM »
Williams is great at picking up blitzes and catching the ball out of the backfield.  I know the organization thinks highly of him for those two reasons.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #991 on: December 16, 2020, 02:54:19 PM »

That’s the best approach with running backs. Good ones can be had in later rounds and their shelf life is short and drop off sudden.  Aaron Jones is a special one though so they may pony up for him.  Generally, the Packers won’t pay running backs, centers, guards or middle linebackers. They will let those guys walk and replace them with the draft. Corners, Tackles, Def line and edge rushers are their priorities it seems.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #992 on: December 16, 2020, 05:00:17 PM »
That’s the best approach with running backs. Good ones can be had in later rounds and their shelf life is short and drop off sudden.  Aaron Jones is a special one though so they may pony up for him.  Generally, the Packers won’t pay running backs, centers, guards or middle linebackers. They will let those guys walk and replace them with the draft. Corners, Tackles, Def line and edge rushers are their priorities it seems.

Aaron Jones will be forgotten in two years, just like Eddie Lacy, Ahman Green, and Ryan Grant.

And Ahman Green was a 4 time pro bowler... Jones is a good back, love having him, but he has zero pro bowls and his tires will fall off on his next contract.  He is 5'9 200 lbs.  The hits he takes will take a toll.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #993 on: December 17, 2020, 10:41:22 PM »
What a cluster eff of a finish.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #994 on: December 18, 2020, 07:48:15 AM »
Raiders had second and goal at the 3 in OT.  If I am them, that gives me three downs to score.  Losing two yards on the next play was a problem, but you still have two downs to go five there.  Incomplete and FG.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #995 on: December 19, 2020, 01:54:20 PM »
I expect the Packers to get lots of pressure on Bridgewater and several sacks. Meanwhile, Rodgers will do pretty much whatever he wants to do against my Panthers' secondary. I'd be pretty surprised if GB doesn't win by 2 TDs or more.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #996 on: December 19, 2020, 08:05:46 PM »
Perfect. A terrible athlete with shot knees tries to leap over the pile, extends the football and blows what should have been a sure TD drive.

I'm so over Teddy Bridgewater. And I'm so tired of hearing that Joe Brady is a genius.

I hope Packers fans, or just smart gamblers, got their bets in on this game.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #997 on: December 19, 2020, 08:30:54 PM »
Teddy and Cassius Winston look alike to me.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #998 on: December 19, 2020, 09:11:43 PM »
Unusual bad coaching by LeFluer.

Running at will for a quarter and a half and then he turns into Matt Nagy.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #999 on: December 19, 2020, 10:22:14 PM »
Packers managed to not cover. Stunned.

feedback