[April 22, 2024, 08:17:35 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Kenosha  (Read 74087 times)

#UnleashSean

• All American
Re: Kenosha
« Reply #750 on: September 11, 2020, 06:13:49 PM »
Uhhhhh GUYS? PLM now?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #751 on: September 11, 2020, 07:20:32 PM »
I don't think we'd ever get a full Rocky's pizza .. but their lunch slices are .. delicious.  Everyone in the family loves them.

I've recently been very much liking Rosati's.

Rosatis is solid.

Rocky's is like meth.  You know its not good for you, but you can't resist.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #752 on: September 11, 2020, 07:30:57 PM »
Not to take this topic even father afield than we already have but, what ever happened to Wales on Wells? I mean, why did that place close? Always seemed to be crowded during my bid (86-90).

Great food. Great location. Never understood why it didn’t stay open.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #753 on: September 11, 2020, 08:54:51 PM »
Not to take this topic even father afield than we already have but, what ever happened to Wales on Wells? I mean, why did that place close? Always seemed to be crowded during my bid (86-90).

Great food. Great location. Never understood why it didn’t stay open.

Can't answer your question .. but the owner of Wales on Wells was my neighbor for many years.  About ~10 years ago, they moved out, house was foreclosed on and the bank took ownership.  They moved to Texas (?).

House was flipped, last sold for $700k.   That's a lot of cheese fries.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #754 on: September 12, 2020, 09:32:48 AM »
It isn't Kenosha but just a quick post to clear up some misconceptions in recent previous posts...

St. Louis has a wide variety of pizza and pizza styles  St. Louis style pizza is considered square, cracker thin, with either provel or mozzarella. Many of the responses here are referencing provel cheese. Some places do not offer provel, some offer provel in addition to other cheeses with or instead, and a few offer only provel.

Like anything else and anywhere else, some like it some don't. Just as Chicagoans aren't ordering deep dish pizza every time or tavern style etc... Speaking of, Barack Obama's favorite pizza is St. Louis pizza. He used to get Pi Pizza shipped to him and his staff so much and so often, that the restaurant opened a Washington D.C. location which is still there. They have both thin and deep dish, corn meal crust. It's fine, as it is pizza after all, and I would happily eat many types of pizza including provel. PI isn't one of my favorites, but I'd eat it and it is popular. Most of the PI pizzas are named after St. Louis landmarks.

Provel cheese is a blend of cheddar, provolone, swiss. It dates back to the 1930's and 40's grocery store in St. louis' Hill Italian neighborhood known for natives such as Yogi Berra, Joe Garagiola, going back to the early mod 1800's. Half of the U.S. soccer team that defeated England in the 1950 World Cup were from the neighborhood. It's a thicker, gooey cheese.

Original St. Louis pizza didn't contain provel. Funny enough the two companies that were rah rah provel at the time applying for patents were Wisconsin's Hoffman Dairy, and Chicago's Churny Company, both later affiliated with Kraft Foods.

Just as several other delivery pizza chains began in the later 1950's early 1960's, St. Louis had a place that did the same at that time. Imo's has 100 locations in 3 states and they will tell you they invented provel cheese but they didn't. St  Louisans, Boston Celtic Jayson Tatum and former MLB player David Freese have been their most recent spokespeople in their ads. Tatum's deal is free pizza for life. That's it. There are some other smaller ones or a few location provel places, as well as bars that have it. And of course you can get a gazillion types at a grocery store. And of course many St. Louisans, Jon Hamm, Jenna Fischer, etc...like it and promote it sometimes

Some Stl pizza places I like are:

La Pizza in U. City
Pizza-a-go-go in Lindenwood Park
Melo's in Benton Park

Lots of choices.

Some of the other foods Stl has been known for over the years and their years of origin:

Gooey Butter Cake 1930's.
Pork Steaks 1950's
Toasted Ravioli 1940's
Lion's Choice Roast Beef 1967
Ted Drewes Frozen Custard 1929

« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 01:37:25 PM by shoothoops »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #755 on: September 12, 2020, 01:45:25 PM »
It isn't Kenosha but just a quick post to clear up some misconceptions in recent previous posts...

St. Louis has a wide variety of pizza and pizza styles  St. Louis style pizza is considered square, cracker thin, with either provel or mozzarella. Many of the responses here are referencing provel cheese. Some places do not offer provel, some offer provel in addition to other cheeses with or instead, and a few offer only provel.

Like anything else and anywhere else, some like it some don't. Just as Chicagoans aren't ordering deep dish pizza every time or tavern style etc... Speaking of, Barack Obama's favorite pizza is St. Louis pizza. He used to get Pi Pizza shipped to him and his staff so much and so often, that the restaurant opened a Washington D.C. location which is still there. They have both thin and deep dish, corn meal crust. It's fine, as it is pizza after all, and I would happily eat many types of pizza including provel. PI isn't one of my favorites, but I'd eat it and it is popular. Most of the PI pizzas are named after St. Louis landmarks.

Provel cheese is a blend of cheddar, provolone, swiss. It dates back to the 1930's and 40's grocery store in St. louis' Hill Italian neighborhood known for natives such as Yogi Berra, Joe Garagiola, going back to the early mod 1800's. Half of the U.S. soccer team that defeated England in the 1950 World Cup were from the neighborhood. It's a thicker, gooey cheese.

Original St. Louis pizza didn't contain provel. Funny enough the two companies that were rah rah provel at the time applying for patents were Wisconsin's Hoffman Dairy, and Chicago's Churny Company, both later affiliated with Kraft Foods.

Just as several other delivery pizza chains began in the later 1950's early 1960's, St. Louis had a place that did the same at that time. Imo's has 100 locations in 3 states and they will tell you they invented provel cheese but they didn't. St  Louisans, Boston Celtic Jayson Tatum and former MLB player David Freese have been their most recent spokespeople in their ads. Tatum's deal is free pizza for life. That's it. There are some other smaller ones or a few location provel places, as well as bars that have it. And of course you can get a gazillion types at a grocery store. And of course many St. Louisans, Jon Hamm, Jenna Fischer, etc...like it and promote it sometimes

Some Stl pizza places I like are:

La Pizza in U. City
Pizza-a-go-go in Lindenwood Park
Melo's in Benton Park

Lots of choices.

Some of the other foods Stl has been known for over the years and their years of origin:

Gooey Butter Cake 1930's.
Pork Steaks 1950's
Toasted Ravioli 1940's
Lion's Choice Roast Beef 1967
Ted Drewes Frozen Custard 1929

You could write multiple books about the history of st louis pizza.  The fact is, it flat out is shít.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #756 on: September 12, 2020, 01:57:16 PM »
You could write multiple books about the history of st louis pizza.  The fact is, it flat out is shít.

It's good. I enjoy it. I like a lot of different types of pizza from a lot of styles and geographies. 👍  It must feel sad inside to be so miserable, so often, having a specific geography live rent free in your head. Although I believe you have posted previously that you have been miserable living in a specific WI locale for many years,. Madison?  Perhaps it isn't the geography.

Enjoy the pizza, and if anyone has a good Kenosha pizza rec, as this is after all the Kenosha thread, feel free throw it out there. I may check it out some time.👍

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #757 on: September 12, 2020, 03:31:46 PM »
A documentary will be available for streaming the end of this month titled Pizza, A Love Story.  It's been shown in theaters since the beginning of the year.  Streaming and DVD release were postponed because of Coronavirus as they were hoping to go back in theaters.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #758 on: September 12, 2020, 04:54:06 PM »
It's good. I enjoy it. I like a lot of different types of pizza from a lot of styles and geographies. 👍  It must feel sad inside to be so miserable, so often, having a specific geography live rent free in your head. Although I believe you have posted previously that you have been miserable living in a specific WI locale for many years,. Madison?  Perhaps it isn't the geography.

Enjoy the pizza, and if anyone has a good Kenosha pizza rec, as this is after all the Kenosha thread, feel free throw it out there. I may check it out some time.👍

Hating the city i live in and enjoying my life are two different things.

Thanks for the faux concern about me.

St louis pizza sucks.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #759 on: September 12, 2020, 06:26:24 PM »

Used to be a lot of good pizza joints in Kenosha but they might have burnt half of them down a few weeks ago
don't...don't don't don't don't

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #760 on: September 12, 2020, 07:40:50 PM »

St louis pizza sucks.

I enjoyed my time in STL but will never move back (humidity, heat, sprawl)

Food Pros: Italian on The Hill. Culpepper’s wings, burgers at O’Connell’s, Blueberry Hill, Dooley’s and Seamus McDaniel’s, toasted rav, ST. Louis style ribs and BBQ (Pappy’s!!!), Lion’s Choice, slingers when hammered late at night.

Food cons: the STL style pizza. IMO’s is an abomination. Not there wasn’t good pizza: I really liked Blackthorn. 

I’m convinced St Lousians only pretend to like crap like Imo’s as some sort of attempt at civic pride, but in reality they know it not real pizza and it’s the exact opposite of Chicago style.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 07:43:40 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #761 on: September 14, 2020, 01:35:53 AM »

Used to be a lot of good pizza joints in Kenosha but they might have burnt half of them down a few weeks ago
Hard to find any remnants of AMC or the Brass so I have confidence of a successful rebuild.

Jables1604

• Team Captain

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #763 on: September 14, 2020, 01:03:53 PM »
https://www.ctpost.com/food/slideshow/Six-CT-pizzerias-make-list-of-best-pizzas-in-208761.php?src=ctphpcp

Gino's East > Lou Malnattis as far as the big chains go

Also Pequods is legit but Burt's place is better. Same style, it's the original Pequod's recipe, but less sweet sauce.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 01:08:54 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #764 on: September 14, 2020, 01:05:28 PM »
As far as Kenosha goes, Capt. Mike's has been a favorite for burgers.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #765 on: September 14, 2020, 04:46:00 PM »
Back to Rocky Rococos for a second: I humbly suggest getting the cheese sauce for their breadsticks. It's the consistency of stadium nacho cheese, and really kicks the breadsticks up a notch. I'm already going to have a stomach ache after eating there, so I might as well go all out.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #766 on: September 17, 2020, 08:38:59 AM »

St louis pizza sucks.

I find it pretty hilarious that a happy guy like you could live in a city that is routinely rated one of the best places in the country to live and find a way to hate it.

Madison certainly has it's warts, like every city... but...

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #767 on: October 27, 2020, 07:15:44 AM »
Worth your time:

Kyle Korver explains why the Bucks didn't play their playoff game.

https://twitter.com/gocreighton/status/1320897911383855104?s=19

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #768 on: October 27, 2020, 08:02:10 AM »
Interesting personal reflection. One important correction, however, is that Sterling Brown was not arrested for no reason. He was illegally parked in a handicapped parking spot, sideways btw, and had that not been the case, the situation would not have escalated to an arrest.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #769 on: October 27, 2020, 08:22:39 AM »
Interesting personal reflection. One important correction, however, is that Sterling Brown was not arrested for no reason. He was illegally parked in a handicapped parking spot, sideways btw, and had that not been the case, the situation would not have escalated to an arrest.

Have you ever heard of a white person being arrested for a parking violation?  Because I certainly have not.  Not to mention tasing him in the process.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 10:53:37 AM by BLM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #770 on: October 27, 2020, 08:24:36 AM »

Wow.  You forgot to add the part about Brown being mouthy.   ::)

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #771 on: October 27, 2020, 08:29:25 AM »
Wow.  You forgot to add the part about Brown being mouthy.   ::)

Very disruptive to the business.  Their empty parking lot after midnight couldn't find open parking spots for all of their customers.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #772 on: October 27, 2020, 08:34:46 AM »
Are y'all that dense? I said he was illegally parked sideways in a handicapped parking spot. Had he not done so, this incident would not have escalated into a tasing and subsequent arrest.
Actions have consequences, or are now tossin' dat chit out two as partisan politics, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #773 on: October 27, 2020, 08:38:44 AM »
Are y'all that dense? I said he was illegally parked sideways in a handicapped parking spot. Had he not done so, this incident would not have escalated into a tasing and subsequent arrest.
Actions have consequences, or are now tossin' dat chit out two as partisan politics, hey?

Sure, Jan
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #774 on: October 27, 2020, 08:42:23 AM »

See this is the problem.  "If <insert black guy> had done everything 100% right, there wouldn't have been a problem."  But here's the deal.  Not everyone does everything 100% right all of the time.  And Police, as agents of the state, should know this and respond proportionally.  That is literally what they are trained to do.  And what we pay them to do.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow