2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 15, 2024, 10:20:46 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[April 15, 2024, 10:12:01 PM]

Going Portaling: Which Portal Prospect do you want and why? by DoctorV
[April 15, 2024, 09:54:11 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Tyler COLEk
[April 15, 2024, 08:53:41 PM]

[Paint Touches] Shaka reaffirms MU commitment by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 15, 2024, 07:07:35 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PGsHeroes32
[April 15, 2024, 06:38:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: BEast teams will wear BLM patch  (Read 12124 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: BEast teams will wear BLM patch
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 05:44:23 PM »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 05:57:51 PM »
Tough break for Fox News viewers
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 10:24:01 PM »
Good for them.  Glad the BE is on the right side of history.  Sad some of the meat eating men of Scoop will not be watching any BE conference teams play basketball this year.  Or maybe ever again.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2020, 10:27:52 PM »
Good for them.  Glad the BE is on the right side of history.  Sad some of the meat eating men of Scoop will not be watching any BE conference teams play basketball this year.  Or maybe ever again.

Don't they have their own board now that they're developing so it can be as political as they want as long as it fits their narratives?
Maigh Eo for Sam

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2020, 10:36:42 PM »
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 10:53:50 PM by THRILLHO »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2020, 06:07:29 AM »
Should sho out super during the Zoom games, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2020, 07:32:03 AM »
Should sho out super during the Zoom games, hey?

Don't worry, Doc. I'm sure they'll wear the patch for the 2021-22 season if this season gets canceled.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

sodakmu87

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2020, 08:11:29 AM »
Like the idea, but don't like the politics

Mods, Delete me please. 8/26/2020

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2020, 08:38:58 AM »

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2020, 08:59:07 AM »
Like the idea, but don't like the politics
do you think the same was said 65 years ago when john lewis marched across a bridge and was nearly beaten to death....a bridge that is still named after a grand dragon of the kkk?

i fail to see the politics in stating that black lives matter, and i understand that it's being politicized (which is being done so to get the exact statement that you just shared), but that doesn't mean you turn around and don't cross the bridge....especially if you want to hold yourself to the standard of a jesuit university. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2020, 09:12:47 AM »
do you think the same was said 65 years ago when john lewis marched across a bridge and was nearly beaten to death....a bridge that is still named after a grand dragon of the kkk?

i fail to see the politics in stating that black lives matter, and i understand that it's being politicized (which is being done so to get the exact statement that you just shared), but that doesn't mean you turn around and don't cross the bridge....especially if you want to hold yourself to the standard of a jesuit university.

Nailed it.

The only reason it’s a “politics” issue is so the people who benefit from the system we live in can continue to do so while pretending this is a political issue, when it’s really just a matter of basic human rights. Equality is not political. People who benefit from not having equality try to distract from the real issue that BLM is addressing.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2020, 09:17:41 AM »
People who get upset about a patch or worry about it being political should be less comfortable with their racism.

NFL players have patches on their uniforms and stickers on their helmets for all sorts of things, and I don't see the same hand wringing, and pearl clutching.

Just to be clear:

American flag patch - A-okay
Patch for cancer awareness - A-okay
Patch that says BLM - POLITICS IS BAD

So as long as the patch fits your belief structure, its fine, but if not, its political garbage, and the solution is to call people sheep.

Fully understood.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2020, 09:32:17 AM »
“Shut up and dribble”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2020, 09:50:31 AM »
Some were hoping for the Q-ANON patch instead.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2020, 10:19:42 AM »
“Shut up and dribble”

Stick to sports!
Also, let's elect a washed up college football coach to the U.S. Senate!

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2020, 11:25:49 AM »
The Big East has steadily, and without declared initiatives or policies, hired more Black Head Coaches than any other power conference (Anderson, Cooley, Ewing, Jordan, Leitao; in recent years, they have also had JTIII and Purnell as well).  They have helped create Coaches For Action, founded by 21 Assistant Coaches in the Big East on a mission to use their platform to educate and bring awareness to social injustices.  They have had, and will continue to have, numerous young Black student-athletes play and represent the schools and the conference at the highest levels of college basketball. 

It is important for the league, and our school as a part of it, to help support and create any change it can for the institutions or beyond.  I think the Big East has been one of the transformational conferences in college athletics today, and this is just another positive example of that. 

Personally, I think it is cool.  I know others may not agree. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2020, 11:39:14 AM »
The Big East has steadily, and without declared initiatives or policies, hired more Black Head Coaches than any other power conference (Anderson, Cooley, Ewing, Jordan, Leitao; in recent years, they have also had JTIII and Purnell as well).  They have helped create Coaches For Action, founded by 21 Assistant Coaches in the Big East on a mission to use their platform to educate and bring awareness to social injustices.  They have had, and will continue to have, numerous young Black student-athletes play and represent the schools and the conference at the highest levels of college basketball. 

It is important for the league, and our school as a part of it, to help support and create any change it can for the institutions or beyond.  I think the Big East has been one of the transformational conferences in college athletics today, and this is just another positive example of that. 

Personally, I think it is cool.  I know others may not agree.

Yup

YaBlueIt

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2020, 12:11:14 PM »
People who think this basketball should "stay out of politics" fail to realize that a) this is a human rights issue, not a "political" issue and b) sports, including Marquette sports, have always played a major role in civil rights movements in this country, which we should be proud of.

How quickly some have forgotten that Al himself rejected the 1970 NCAA Tournament bid, allegedly due to Kentucky HC Adolph Rupp's comments/beliefs about playing against black players. This board would have a collective brain aneurysm if Marquette rejected a tourney bid for ""political"" reasons today. And that happened 50 years ago. And people today somehow freak out about a little patch saying "Black Lives Matter", which shouldn't even be a controversial statement. Get a grip.

Marquette has a made a history of supporting black student athletes and giving them a voice, going back to the Al days. If this patch helps our student athletes feel like their voices are being heard, I'm all for it.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2020, 12:28:25 PM »
People who think this basketball should "stay out of politics" fail to realize that a) this is a human rights issue, not a "political" issue and b) sports, including Marquette sports, have always played a major role in civil rights movements in this country, which we should be proud of.

How quickly some have forgotten that Al himself rejected the 1970 NCAA Tournament bid, allegedly due to Kentucky HC Adolph Rupp's comments/beliefs about playing against black players. This board would have a collective brain aneurysm if Marquette rejected a tourney bid for ""political"" reasons today. And that happened 50 years ago. And people today somehow freak out about a little patch saying "Black Lives Matter", which shouldn't even be a controversial statement. Get a grip.

Marquette has a made a history of supporting black student athletes and giving them a voice, going back to the Al days. If this patch helps our student athletes feel like their voices are being heard, I'm all for it.
Just a point of clarification, Al turned down the 1970 NCAA because they slotted MU in the Midwest rather than the closer Mideast.  Al and Rupp, though, certainly had their differences on Rupp’s beliefs.

YaBlueIt

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2020, 12:41:44 PM »
Just a point of clarification, Al turned down the 1970 NCAA because they slotted MU in the Midwest rather than the closer Mideast.  Al and Rupp, though, certainly had their differences on Rupp’s beliefs.

Thanks, I should have clarified. Rumor is that Rupp had some influence with the NCAA, and didn't want Marquette to play in the Mideast for the reasons I mentioned above. Al rejected the bid in protest.

Again, just a rumor I've heard. Though it doesn't seem Al's type to reject a tourney bid just because he felt the team was disrespected in their seeding or regional placement. This is the "broken sidewalks" guy we're talking about after all. Just my opinion.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2020, 12:53:53 PM »
Mr recollection is that Al felt his team was being disrespected, period.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2020, 01:05:47 PM »
Love it!  Awesome to support a "movement" that believes: 

There is state sanctioned and deliberate and rampant violence inflicted on Blacks.  (Totally false)

"We disrupt the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement by supporting each other as extended families and “villages” that collectively care for one another, especially our children, to the degree that mothers, parents, and children are comfortable." 

(Sweet! I hereby support BLM and am now all for banging whomever, making babies, abandoning them, and leaving the village to raise those bastards!  No doubt absentee fathers and single parent households are the surefire formula for success!) 

Western/European culture needs to reconsider its viewpoints and support this enlightened "movement" (of idiocy).

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2020, 01:11:01 PM »
(Sweet! I hereby support BLM and am now all for banging whomever, making babies, abandoning them, and leaving the village to raise those bastards!  No doubt absentee fathers and single parent households are the surefire formula for success!) 

You know that little voice in your head that tells you not to do something?  You probably should have listened to it before you typed the above.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2020, 01:16:16 PM »

You know that little voice in your head that tells you not to do something?  You probably should have listened to it before you typed the above.

What do you find so offensive?  This is a tenant of BLM's ideology - they don't support the Western prescribed nuclear family.  Personal responsibility is eschewed.