[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: BEast teams will wear BLM patch  (Read 12179 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: BEast teams will wear BLM patch
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2020, 01:58:12 PM »
I know a lot of people can't comprehend the anti-BLM side of things and just boil things down to racism, which is understandable. Just know that me and it seems like others are not going to support this organization in anyway. If that means losing one of my greatest loves, marquette basketball, then it is what it is. I cannot support even a Marxist adjacent organization, let alone one that is openly Marxist.

I wish they could just do a patch like "End Police Brutality" or "End Racism" or promote racial issues in any other way other than increasing the BLM brand.

I've been a season ticket holder for over 10 years and it looks like I won't even watch games this year let alone get season tickets.

I love you all, even those that think I'm being racist, I wish you all the best in life. God bless.

You have to put in the work to understand, you can't just walk away from the problem because it offends you.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2020, 01:59:22 PM »
I know a lot of people can't comprehend the anti-BLM side of things and just boil things down to racism, which is understandable. Just know that me and it seems like others are not going to support this organization in anyway. If that means losing one of my greatest loves, marquette basketball, then it is what it is. I cannot support even a Marxist adjacent organization, let alone one that is openly Marxist.

I wish they could just do a patch like "End Police Brutality" or "End Racism" or promote racial issues in any other way other than increasing the BLM brand.

I've been a season ticket holder for over 10 years and it looks like I won't even watch games this year let alone get season tickets.

I love you all, even those that think I'm being racist, I wish you all the best in life. God bless.

The BLM patches are for the movement, not the LLC that co-opted the name.

If you don't realize that, it's your loss.  Pretty dumb thing to drop your season tickets over.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2020, 02:01:21 PM »
As any right thinking person would agree, less racism is good and just. I think the term is over used to end conversations or debates and is becoming a term that resembles the 'boy who cried wolf'. It does not carry as much weight like it should. JMHO.

I understand what you're saying. I do not throw the word around casually. But sometimes the wolf really is a wolf.

Sadly, Ners has demonstrated repeatedly that he is a racist. So much anger and hate.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2020, 02:02:35 PM »

If you don't realize that, it's your loss.  Pretty dumb thing to drop your season tickets over.

What this thread has really taught me is how people buy into a narrative that is comfortable for them so they can ignore a movement that they are uncomfortable with.

Its their excuse to do nothing.  Again.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2020, 02:03:26 PM »
What this thread has really taught me is how people buy into a narrative that is comfortable for them so they can ignore a movement that they are uncomfortable with.

Its their excuse to do nothing.  Again.

Correct. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2020, 02:04:55 PM »
That entirely depends. What does said nuclear family look like? Divorce hits 50% of all marriages currently, is it healthier for a child to grow up between two parents screaming at each other all the time or be raise by a group? Ideally we'd all have two parents on the same page that are madly in love and put the child first. That's not reality, so BLM subscribes to a notion that accepts reality saying it's ok and there's no shame in not having the traditional family.

In ideal circumstances sure.  But it isn't always the better alternative.

If you look at the sentence you quoted from BLM, it doesn't dispute the concept of a two-parent nuclear family either.  In fact it made it clear that the "collective care for one another" concept is only extended "to the degree that mothers, parents and children are comfortable."

That's hardly a knock on the nuclear family.  It just states that it doesn't need to be a "requirement."  Which is true.  (Although I don't think that it is actually a "requirement" in many places these days.)

Reasonable responses.  In my view, we are crumbling as a country (and to a lesser extent globally) due to a progressive deterioration of personal responsibility. 

Divorce of course isn't by any means a predictor of life outcome, yet having an involved and present father is critically important to young men.  The absentee father rate in the Black community is markedly higher than other ethnicities.  That isn't a "racist" statement.  It is a fact.  IMO BLM's viewpoint on the nuclear family conveniently makes room for such absenteeism.

https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2011/06/15/chapter-1-living-arrangements-and-father-involvement/

End of the day, I don't think it is race that determines a person's outcome in life, but instead it is the way in which they are brought into the world.  I got blasted for saying poor, uneducated people shouldn't have kids.  That applies to all races.  Nobody should bring a child into this world if they are not properly educated/skilled to be able to provide/care for it.  We are not animals.  We have cognitive decision-making ability, access to information, birth control, etc. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2020, 02:09:52 PM »

Fluffy BM gets it and acknowledges the difference between something that is inarguable and an organization that Marxist, racist, anti-Semitic, and hell bent on creating chaos, pain and suffering, coupled with the overthrow of the U.S. government and democracy.
"Go ahead and loot, get your reparations, these stores have insurance," aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2020, 02:10:52 PM »
Simple question:  Do you believe a nuclear, two-parent household is a better environment for a child than the alternative?
That is an amazing level of rationalization. 

So I'll paste the whole statement below for context, but I do believe my friends that are part of the LGBTQIA community do in fact make very good parents.  I also believe everything else you typed is bs, especially when research/statistics account for poverty and oppression.  I'm also sure that support Obama over Trump as Obama fits the "nuclear" family much better than Trump?

BLM Statement:

These are the results of our collective efforts.

The Black Lives Matter Global Network is as powerful as it is because of our membership, our partners, our supporters, our staff, and you. Our continued commitment to liberation for all Black people means we are continuing the work of our ancestors and fighting for our collective freedom because it is our duty.

Every day, we recommit to healing ourselves and each other, and to co-creating alongside comrades, allies, and family a culture where each person feels seen, heard, and supported.

We acknowledge, respect, and celebrate differences and commonalities.

We work vigorously for freedom and justice for Black people and, by extension, all people.

We intentionally build and nurture a beloved community that is bonded together through a beautiful struggle that is restorative, not depleting.

We are unapologetically Black in our positioning. In affirming that Black Lives Matter, we need not qualify our position. To love and desire freedom and justice for ourselves is a prerequisite for wanting the same for others.

We see ourselves as part of the global Black family, and we are aware of the different ways we are impacted or privileged as Black people who exist in different parts of the world.

We are guided by the fact that all Black lives matter, regardless of actual or perceived sexual identity, gender identity, gender expression, economic status, ability, disability, religious beliefs or disbeliefs, immigration status, or location.

We make space for transgender brothers and sisters to participate and lead.

We are self-reflexive and do the work required to dismantle cisgender privilege and uplift Black trans folk, especially Black trans women who continue to be disproportionately impacted by trans-antagonistic violence.

We build a space that affirms Black women and is free from sexism, misogyny, and environments in which men are centered.

We practice empathy. We engage comrades with the intent to learn about and connect with their contexts.

We make our spaces family-friendly and enable parents to fully participate with their children. We dismantle the patriarchal practice that requires mothers to work “double shifts” so that they can mother in private even as they participate in public justice work.

We disrupt the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement by supporting each other as extended families and “villages” that collectively care for one another, especially our children, to the degree that mothers, parents, and children are comfortable.

We foster a queer‐affirming network. When we gather, we do so with the intention of freeing ourselves from the tight grip of heteronormative thinking, or rather, the belief that all in the world are heterosexual (unless s/he or they disclose otherwise).

We cultivate an intergenerational and communal network free from ageism. We believe that all people, regardless of age, show up with the capacity to lead and learn.

We embody and practice justice, liberation, and peace in our engagements with one another.

kryza

• Team Captain
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2020, 02:11:50 PM »

It elevates their brand name, which increases their popularity. Canceling my season tickets and not watching Marquette is the only way I can be sure I'm not helping promote Marxism.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2020, 02:13:57 PM »
Reasonable responses.  In my view, we are crumbling as a country (and to a lesser extent globally) due to a progressive deterioration of personal responsibility. 

Divorce of course isn't by any means a predictor of life outcome, yet having an involved and present father is critically important to young men.  The absentee father rate in the Black community is markedly higher than other ethnicities.  That isn't a "racist" statement.  It is a fact.  IMO BLM's viewpoint on the nuclear family conveniently makes room for such absenteeism.

https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2011/06/15/chapter-1-living-arrangements-and-father-involvement/

End of the day, I don't think it is race that determines a person's outcome in life, but instead it is the way in which they are brought into the world.  I got blasted for saying poor, uneducated people shouldn't have kids.  That applies to all races.  Nobody should bring a child into this world if they are not properly educated/skilled to be able to provide/care for it.  We are not animals.  We have cognitive decision-making ability, access to information, birth control, etc.

You realize that your same side prevents access to birth control and equal access to education. If your side had a mindset of let's make birth control a right, and not take away equal/affordable housing in suburbs. Then maybe I could see your point a bit better.

I do agree that there is an uncomfortable prevalence of absentee fathers in the African American community. But is the BLM movement to say "we subscribe to traditional values" and then alienate a ton of African American boys and girls who don't fit that? If it's about inclusion, and saying "you matter no matter how you were raised" then that's the way to say it.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2020, 02:14:39 PM »
It elevates their brand name, which increases their popularity. Canceling my season tickets and not watching Marquette is the only way I can be sure I'm not helping promote Marxism.

Boy, that's awfully naive.  Sounds pretty comfortable.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2020, 02:15:13 PM »
Cancel culture is alive and well. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2020, 02:15:23 PM »

Do you itemize your taxes to ensure you don't pay into Medicare, social security, police, fire, public schools, parks etc as well?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2020, 02:16:22 PM »
I understand what you're saying. I do not throw the word around casually. But sometimes the wolf really is a wolf.

Sadly, Ners has demonstrated repeatedly that he is a racist. So much anger and hate.

82 - For being a liberal, you truly aren't very open-minded, nor tolerant of viewpoints that don't align with yours.  I believe you should be banned for calling me a racist.  BTW, here is the 2016-forward revised definition for racist:

Racist [ rey-sist ]

Noun

1. Any person who disagrees with a liberal.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2020, 02:17:13 PM »

I’m not sure that BLM the LLC co-opted the name. They’ve been around for at least 5 years.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2020, 02:17:31 PM »
Gosh. 

It makes me sad that a group of fans that wholeheartedly support a group of mostly black young athletes can't also support that those mostly black young athletes would like to level the playing field for the rest of their black families & friends and (finally!) end racism (overt or otherwise)

That's what the BLM patch is for.  If you can't support it, you never should have been supporting Marquette Basketball in the first place.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2020, 02:20:55 PM »

Two honest questions.

1. Why do you think BLM is a Marxist organization? Marxism is not mentioned in their mission statement and to my knowledge, it is not mentioned in any of their literature. I think the only reference to Marxism is one interview from 2015 where one of the three founders described herself and one of the other founders as "trained Marxists." If an organization has Marxists in their leadership but doesn't push Marxists ideas, does that make the organization Marxist?

2. Why are you afraid of supporting a Marxist organization if you agree with their goals of ending police brutality and racism?  Personally, I think Marxism is dumb, doesn't work. Fiscally, I lean more to the right than the left. But I don't think Marxists are evil, just bad at economics. I have no problem agreeing with a Marxist on ending police brutality. Doesn't mean I subscribe to their view on politics.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2020, 02:23:54 PM »
Cancel culture is alive and well.

This is actually more a demonstration of Call-out Culture. 

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2020, 02:32:03 PM »
This is actually more a demonstration of Call-out Culture.

Learn something new every day.  So canceling tickets = cancel culture.  Canceling affiliation/love of MUBB = call-out culture?

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2020, 02:35:48 PM »
You realize that your same side prevents access to birth control and equal access to education. If your side had a mindset of let's make birth control a right, and not take away equal/affordable housing in suburbs. Then maybe I could see your point a bit better.

I do agree that there is an uncomfortable prevalence of absentee fathers in the African American community. But is the BLM movement to say "we subscribe to traditional values" and then alienate a ton of African American boys and girls who don't fit that? If it's about inclusion, and saying "you matter no matter how you were raised" then that's the way to say it.

The radical religious right is just as bad for our society as is the radical liberal left.  Birth control is a GOOD thing.  Though abortion is a complicated issue, I ultimately believe the government does NOT have the right to legislate a woman's body.  I'm also supportive of gay/lesbian marriage, and affirmative action. 

Those are the areas I share in common with the left.  As it relates to education, I can't weigh in there as I'm not at all well-versed in the dynamics of the education system/options available.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2020, 02:38:32 PM »
Gosh. 

It makes me sad that a group of fans that wholeheartedly support a group of mostly black young athletes can't also support that those mostly black young athletes would like to level the playing field for the rest of their black families & friends and (finally!) end racism (overt or otherwise)

That's what the BLM patch is for.  If you can't support it, you never should have been supporting Marquette Basketball in the first place.

From what I've been told, just as the BEast has been a leader among conferences, our coaches and players have been leaders among the BEast and have been some of the loudest voices pushing this cause. Makes me proud as an MU alum.

https://twitter.com/CoachGainey/status/1296438596556263424
https://twitter.com/JakePresutti/status/1296254687348490241
https://twitter.com/Theojohn123/status/1296210592810913792
https://twitter.com/CoachDannyMads/status/1296246241035157507
https://twitter.com/Syboogie10/status/1296204430245875712
https://twitter.com/showout_zayy15/status/1296185156844363777
https://twitter.com/_oso_i/status/1296182751175929856
https://twitter.com/jamalcain24/status/1296160501953638407
https://twitter.com/Sacar_Anim15/status/1296159964541734913
https://twitter.com/ike_eke/status/1296158460086812672
https://twitter.com/TheTrueOne1_/status/1296154612647550977
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2020, 02:40:19 PM »
Learn something new every day.  So canceling tickets = cancel culture.  Canceling affiliation/love of MUBB = call-out culture?

Perhaps I misunderstood/misunderstand your point.  Calling out people online with very wrong views of BLM patches = call-out culture.  Nobody's voices have been cancelled.  Nonetheless, it is still a very divisive tactic.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2020, 02:51:24 PM »
82 - For being a liberal, you truly aren't very open-minded, nor tolerant of viewpoints that don't align with yours.  I believe you should be banned for calling me a racist.  BTW, here is the 2016-forward revised definition for racist:

Racist [ rey-sist ]

Noun

1. Any person who disagrees with a liberal.

Cool. Stop being a racist and people will stop calling you a racist.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson