[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: BEast teams will wear BLM patch  (Read 12200 times)

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
Re: BEast teams will wear BLM patch
« Reply #100 on: August 22, 2020, 03:06:39 AM »
Is it acceptable to say -

1. Ill continue the critically important work of reducing the real differences in key social, economic factors among the races in America, and

2. I have problems with BLM as an organization.

?

can you be for racial equality and think BLMs critical message of racial justice has been coopted and its not all the fault of the right \ fox news?

1. No. Reducing the real differences in key socioeconomic factors among the races would be akin to rewriting the tax laws in America. What would all those accountants and lawyers do for a living if we were to simplify the tax code?!  Politicians on both sides of the aisle have a vested interest in keeping us divided. Maybe we should reduce their influence instead.

2. Yes and No. See above. Depends upon the prism your news is filtered through. Politics, Media and the great divide.

3. Of course you can. You’re a free-thinking adult. Be prepared to lose a few friends and family members along the way. Just as many social justice activists became alienated from old friends (and even family) due to their system-challenging, uncomfortable beliefs.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #101 on: August 22, 2020, 07:21:31 AM »
Is it acceptable to say -

1. Ill continue the critically important work of reducing the real differences in key social, economic factors among the races in America, and

2. I have problems with BLM as an organization.

?

can you be for racial equality and think BLMs critical message of racial justice has been coopted and its not all the fault of the right \ fox news?

Again, the patch is about the BLM movement. You’re willingly being ignorant by saying you don’t agree with Marxism so you’re feeling alienated by Marquette University for this move.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #102 on: August 22, 2020, 07:35:52 AM »
The disingenuous, ignorant or simply misinformed people here keep saying that BLM wants to "destroy" the nuclear family. Like a lot of things in this thread, that's simply false.
This is what their mission statement says regarding families:

"We make our spaces family-friendly and enable parents to fully participate with their children. We dismantle the patriarchal practice that requires mothers to work “double shifts” so that they can mother in private even as they participate in public justice work.
We disrupt the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement by supporting each other as extended families and “villages” that collectively care for one another, especially our children, to the degree that mothers, parents, and children are comfortable."

That's not advocating for the destruction of anything. It's advocating for acceptance of families in all their forms and a system that helps them.
Any other reading of this is intellectually dishonest. It's OK not to agree with all the positions of the BLM organization - I know I don't  - but the extent people will go to justify their retrograde thinking here is remarkable.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #103 on: August 22, 2020, 07:40:56 AM »
The same alumni base that included Senator McCarthy is causing a red scare over a BLM patch.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #104 on: August 22, 2020, 08:27:03 AM »
The disingenuous, ignorant or simply misinformed people here keep saying that BLM wants to "destroy" the nuclear family. Like a lot of things in this thread, that's simply false.
This is what their mission statement says regarding families:

"We make our spaces family-friendly and enable parents to fully participate with their children. We dismantle the patriarchal practice that requires mothers to work “double shifts” so that they can mother in private even as they participate in public justice work.
We disrupt the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement by supporting each other as extended families and “villages” that collectively care for one another, especially our children, to the degree that mothers, parents, and children are comfortable."

That's not advocating for the destruction of anything. It's advocating for acceptance of families in all their forms and a system that helps them.
Any other reading of this is intellectually dishonest. It's OK not to agree with all the positions of the BLM organization - I know I don't  - but the extent people will go to justify their retrograde thinking here is remarkable.
That mission statement was revised  but it is OK to be remarkable with your retrograde thinkig.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #105 on: August 22, 2020, 08:34:16 AM »
That mission statement was revised  but it is OK to be remarkable with your retrograde thinkig.

So? Governing documents are revised all the time. Our country used to count black people as 3/5 of a person. Doesn't mean the current governing documents should be thrown out.

Do you have an article that says what it was before?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #106 on: August 22, 2020, 08:43:24 AM »

So you agree that BLM does not advocate the destruction of the nuclear family?
Great. Glad we found some common ground.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #107 on: August 22, 2020, 08:43:37 AM »
Two honest questions.

1. Why do you think BLM is a Marxist organization? Marxism is not mentioned in their mission statement and to my knowledge, it is not mentioned in any of their literature. I think the only reference to Marxism is one interview from 2015 where one of the three founders described herself and one of the other founders as "trained Marxists." If an organization has Marxists in their leadership but doesn't push Marxists ideas, does that make the organization Marxist?

2. Why are you afraid of supporting a Marxist organization if you agree with their goals of ending police brutality and racism?  Personally, I think Marxism is dumb, doesn't work. Fiscally, I lean more to the right than the left. But I don't think Marxists are evil, just bad at economics. I have no problem agreeing with a Marxist on ending police brutality. Doesn't mean I subscribe to their view on politics.

I asked these questions before and didn't get a response from any one. I'm honestly trying to understand the fear of Marxism. To be clear, I don't believe having one founder describe herself (not the organization) as a Marxist makes the organization Marxist. I also want to be clear that I believe in capitalism, I think Marxism is dumb and doesn't work. But I also have zero problem with agreeing with a Marxist on other topics such as racial justice and police brutality. The sense I'm getting with some is that "Marxists are evil and if they agree with something, it must be evil." Is this residual fear of communism from the Cold War era? Do people truly believe that wearing BLM patches will lead to the overthrow of capitalism? I'm really trying to understand this line of thinking and would appreciate any insight from someone with those concerns.
TAMU

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #108 on: August 22, 2020, 08:44:52 AM »
TAMU I blame Rocky IV

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #109 on: August 22, 2020, 08:54:03 AM »
I asked these questions before and didn't get a response from any one. I'm honestly trying to understand the fear of Marxism. To be clear, I don't believe having one founder describe herself (not the organization) as a Marxist makes the organization Marxist. I also want to be clear that I believe in capitalism, I think Marxism is dumb and doesn't work. But I also have zero problem with agreeing with a Marxist on other topics such as racial justice and police brutality. The sense I'm getting with some is that "Marxists are evil and if they agree with something, it must be evil." Is this residual fear of communism from the Cold War era? Do people truly believe that wearing BLM patches will lead to the overthrow of capitalism? I'm really trying to understand this line of thinking and would appreciate any insight from someone with those concerns.

The fear is young black men pushing for social justice and equality under the law.  It’s 2020 and we still have prevalent racism a clearly unequal justice system.  There is also the fear of young black men and women understanding their value to universities.  America is the greatest nation in the history of this planet but it’s still very flawed and what makes it great is being able to challenge  an unfair status quo.  Too many people simply fail to see injustice in this world because it’s not part of their lives. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #110 on: August 22, 2020, 09:03:56 AM »

Yes, I'm willing to bet all the people "worried" about "Marxism" lived through the cold war. Whether they're in the camp of the grifters who used red scare tactics as a political cudgel to fool the rubes into voting against any social or racial progress, or in the camp of the true believers (i.e. the rubes), they're too old to adapt their mindset to the modern world where Marxists have no actual power over anything.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #111 on: August 22, 2020, 09:04:26 AM »
Could have stopped at the word 'fear'.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #112 on: August 22, 2020, 09:25:41 AM »
So? Governing documents are revised all the time. Our country used to count black people as 3/5 of a person. Doesn't mean the current governing documents should be thrown out.

Do you have an article that says what it was before?
The counting of blacks as 3/5 a person was actually a compromise at the time meant to reduce the impact of Slavery. The reason this compromise was reached was to reduce the population count of the Slave States and correspondingly reduce their members of Congress ( allocated by population).

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #113 on: August 22, 2020, 09:35:07 AM »
The counting of blacks as 3/5 a person was actually a compromise at the time meant to reduce the impact of Slavery. The reason this compromise was reached was to reduce the population count of the Slave States and correspondingly reduce their members of Congress ( allocated by population).

I'm well aware of the history of the 3/5 compromise. And no, it was not some forethought by our founding fathers to try to end slavery.
TAMU

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #114 on: August 22, 2020, 10:31:18 AM »
Welcome, coffee cup,

IF I were a college student athlete and BLM was outlawed, I would not play for the institution.

Will N.D. allow BLM patches?

Last night I watched FOX and they said,  "we are not electing a priest for president, we'er electing a real leader".

« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 11:32:27 AM by vogue65 »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #115 on: August 22, 2020, 11:57:22 AM »
Very well said, TAMU, THRILL and Rico.

We have a president actively courting the Q-Anon vote to the point where he's calling a Q-Anon whack-job (and 9/11 truther!) "the future Republican star" ... but his supporters here are up in arms about a patch from an extremely important movement that aims to improve racial equity in America.

It's not a matter of being woke. It's a matter of waking the hell up.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #116 on: August 22, 2020, 12:10:58 PM »
BLM Inc. is a racist, Marxist, anti-Semitic hate group hell bent on overturning democracy and America.
Say it, its not hard. Say it, its ok.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #117 on: August 22, 2020, 12:14:18 PM »
BLM Inc. is a racist, Marxist, anti-Semitic hate group hell bent on overturning democracy and America.

And that's still not the patch that they're wearing.

Black Lives Matter.  Say it.  Believe it.  Live it.

You can also say you don't like BLM, Inc. That's ok.

duanewade

• Team Captain
« Reply #118 on: August 22, 2020, 12:17:43 PM »
Yep. Truly shocking the board boobs are all liberals. They fit the stereotype perfectly as non-do’ers who never were good at sports or at life in general.  So they have a chip on their shoulder and are envious of do’ers and want to keep others down so they don’t feel alone.

Don’t believe me then maybe you’ll believe the people in this video who have a great grasp on the situation and the untold damage the fake virtuous have caused.

https://youtu.be/YvIVSe8VH0w

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #119 on: August 22, 2020, 12:43:11 PM »
It is the overturning white privilege that bothers you. If overturning democracy bothered you one bit it is the current regime you'd be upset about.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #120 on: August 22, 2020, 12:56:54 PM »
 ::)
Yep. Truly shocking the board boobs are all liberals. They fit the stereotype perfectly as non-do’ers who never were good at sports or at life in general.  So they have a chip on their shoulder and are envious of do’ers and want to keep others down so they don’t feel alone.

Don’t believe me then maybe you’ll believe the people in this video who have a great grasp on the situation and the untold damage the fake virtuous have caused.

https://youtu.be/YvIVSe8VH0w
::)
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

gorush

• Walk-On

MU82

• All American
« Reply #122 on: August 22, 2020, 01:02:49 PM »

Attaboy.

Did "future Republican star" Marjorie Taylor Greene send you your very own Q-Anon Decoder Ring?

Unlike BLM it's a perfect movement for you, Doc. Every Q-Anoner is lily-white, they are into the craziest conspiracy theories out there, and they are absolutely devoted to your emperor; they believe he was put on earth to save us all from pedophile sex rings run by cannibals (all of whom happen to be liberals, of course).

"I don't know much about the movement other than I understand they like me very much, which I appreciate."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #123 on: August 22, 2020, 01:05:50 PM »
Way to go everyone for making this political.  No nice things ever....