[Today at 12:09:51 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 08:56:20 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Tennis  (Read 113101 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: Tennis
« Reply #750 on: September 12, 2021, 06:52:31 PM »
Medvedev obviously played well, but Djokovic was so far away from top form that I feel quite a few opponents would have beaten Novak today.

Turned out to be a weird tournament.

Two unranked teens play for the women’s title, with the winner being the one who had to go through qualifying just to get in the field.

And a men’s draw without Rafa and Roger, and with Novak unable to muster the energy at the end to grab a historic victory.

With The Big 3 in their mid-30s and older, and with Serena obviously at or very near the end, is this the new normal for tennis? A new era that won’t be dominated by a very few players?

No doubt.  He just didn't have it.  But Medvy played a very intelligent match and chased down everything.  As far as the new normal?  It could be for awhile.  Although I do think Medvedev and Zverev could break out.  Novak isn't done and Rafa might have 2 more French-O's.  Fed I think is finished.  On the women's side I think we'll see a number of champions and Gauff will eventually get there.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #751 on: September 12, 2021, 10:05:16 PM »
No doubt.  He just didn't have it.  But Medvy played a very intelligent match and chased down everything.  As far as the new normal?  It could be for awhile.  Although I do think Medvedev and Zverev could break out.  Novak isn't done and Rafa might have 2 more French-O's.  Fed I think is finished.  On the women's side I think we'll see a number of champions and Gauff will eventually get there.

Medvedev just kept hitting everything back to Djokovic and waited for Novak to screw up. That was an intelligent strategy today, because it wasn't Normal Novak, and I'm guessing Medvedev recognized that early.

I have doubts about Medvedev, Zverev or any of the other young men separating themselves from the pack. I hope you're right about Rafa, but he just can't stay healthy and he's not a kid. I didn't mean to suggest Novak is done; I mean, the guy won 3 majors and got to the final of the 4th. But even he can't go on forever.

The women's side is just a big jumble to me.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #752 on: September 12, 2021, 10:39:29 PM »
Medvedev just kept hitting everything back to Djokovic and waited for Novak to screw up. That was an intelligent strategy today, because it wasn't Normal Novak, and I'm guessing Medvedev recognized that early.

I have doubts about Medvedev, Zverev or any of the other young men separating themselves from the pack. I hope you're right about Rafa, but he just can't stay healthy and he's not a kid. I didn't mean to suggest Novak is done; I mean, the guy won 3 majors and got to the final of the 4th. But even he can't go on forever.

I agree that Medvedev was primarily putting the ball in play but the real separation was that  he was getting a lot of free points off his serve and the Djoker wasn't.

I think Rafa is very capable of  2 more FO titles and an even 15.  :)

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #753 on: September 12, 2021, 11:30:35 PM »

I don't mean this to be sexist, im sure it will be but not intentionally, but after watching lots of tennis of both genres at the ATP/WTA level, dating a D1 collegiate player for a bit, and having a cousin who played college tennis...the womens game is far more emotional and mercurial.  There are men who have that issue, but it feels far more prevalent in the womens game, even amongst the stars.  I can think of plenty of Grand Slam matches where Wozniaki, Svitolina, Mertens, Halep, etc... absolutely implode mid set in a match they have under control.  It just contributes to the parity.  Hell, Raducanu short circuited at Wimbledon and then came back and did this incredible run, but it wouldn't be out of norm to expect another crumble.  It is what it is.

There are men who implode plenty, but there always feels like a couple of top male players are impervious for a stretch of time.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #754 on: September 13, 2021, 07:14:21 AM »
I don't mean this to be sexist, im sure it will be but not intentionally, but after watching lots of tennis of both genres at the ATP/WTA level, dating a D1 collegiate player for a bit, and having a cousin who played college tennis...the womens game is far more emotional and mercurial.  There are men who have that issue, but it feels far more prevalent in the womens game, even amongst the stars.  I can think of plenty of Grand Slam matches where Wozniaki, Svitolina, Mertens, Halep, etc... absolutely implode mid set in a match they have under control.  It just contributes to the parity.  Hell, Raducanu short circuited at Wimbledon and then came back and did this incredible run, but it wouldn't be out of norm to expect another crumble.  It is what it is.

There are men who implode plenty, but there always feels like a couple of top male players are impervious for a stretch of time.

Maybe. But don't forget that for a generation (or more), it was a small group of women who steadfastly stood atop the game for long stretches. Think about Evert, Navratilova and Graf. They might not have been the equivalent of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic ... but pretty darn close. And maybe that will happen again on that side and it will be the men searching for a few legit stars. I guess we'll see.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #755 on: September 13, 2021, 10:55:27 AM »

That's why we should never elect a woman president.  :)

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #756 on: September 13, 2021, 04:37:48 PM »

In defense of Raducanu, Wimbledon was literally her first GS tournament.  She was totally overwhelmed and never anticipated the media frenzy.  As for women imploding vs men there actually have been many occasions where men have imploded.  Including Federer vs the Djoker at Wimbledon a few years ago.  Zverev I believe is 0-10 or 1-10 vs top 10 players in majors.   

Over the years quite a few male players have had meltdowns JWags, it's just that the Big 3 have been so dominant.  Truthfully Djoker had a meltdown yesterday.

Reading a bit about Raducanu she's incredibly impressive even if she didn't play tennis.  Straight A student and could attend Oxford or Cambridge.  Additionally she has a wide range of athletic and other interests. Hopefully the media doesn't smother her because she obviously has enormous star potential.  But the kid is so well grounded and humble, she'll manage just fine.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 04:41:32 PM by MuggsyB »

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #757 on: September 13, 2021, 04:46:28 PM »
Marat Safin for emotional meltdowns.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #758 on: September 13, 2021, 05:17:00 PM »
Marat Safin for emotional meltdowns.

Safin walked so Kyrgios could run

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #759 on: September 30, 2021, 07:43:37 AM »
Very strong draw this week at the new WTA 500 in Chicago at the XS Tennis Center and foundation. (55th and State, good cause for your $). Very easy public transportation stops. Still opportunities to get out there.

It’s the first time in Chicago for many of the International players and for some American players too. It’s the third event there this year, with the other two in the Summer. So it’s weather friendly.

They have done a nice job. 8 top 20 World players and lots of other big names.

They look to the success of the JTTC in College Park, MD/Washington D.C. The JTTC in D.C. has had a lot of success with something similar. JTTC products Frances Tiafoe was a recent U.S. Open Quarterfinalist, and Robin Montgomery who recently turned 17, won both the Singles and Doubles of the U.S. Open Girls Juniors.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #760 on: October 15, 2021, 11:49:00 AM »
On Monday,, Ons Jabeur will become the first Arab player ever ranked in either the WTA or ATP top 10. She is still going in the semifinals of the tour's 5th biggest event, Indian Wells, CA. Well earned.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #761 on: October 18, 2021, 07:09:33 PM »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #762 on: December 02, 2021, 11:34:59 AM »
The WTA has suspended all events in China.  Props to their leadership and overall message. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #763 on: January 06, 2022, 07:01:05 PM »
“If you are vaccinated, you can play in the Australian Open ... and everywhere."

-- Rafa Nadal

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #764 on: January 06, 2022, 08:36:18 PM »
“If you are vaccinated, you can play in the Australian Open ... and everywhere."

-- Rafa Nadal

I guess I'm a bit lost as to why Djokovic was cleared to play in the first place?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #765 on: January 07, 2022, 06:07:23 AM »
I guess I'm a bit lost as to why Djokovic was cleared to play in the first place?

Because international tennis doesn't speak for the government of Australia.

Tennis approved it because they like money.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #766 on: January 07, 2022, 06:15:03 AM »
Yeah he was cleared by the people that run the Australian Open thinking that the government would just let him in I guess?  Pretty dumb move.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #767 on: January 07, 2022, 07:52:02 AM »
What they said.

This is "personal choice" working its magic. Djokovic personally chose to not get vaccinated and to try to get around Australia's national rules with a bogus exemption. Now he's personally choosing to fight it Australia enforcing its rules. And if he loses in court, as most expect he will, he can personally choose to either get the vaccine so he can compete in his favorite tournament and become the all-time majors winner, or he can personally choose to go home.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #768 on: January 08, 2022, 07:29:22 AM »
It's his "medical exemption" before the tournament that has me lost.  Australia requires visitors to be vaccinated.  Apparently his "medical exemption" is that he had covid before and doesn't want to get the vaccine?  How could the tournament officials have any power whatsoever to allow him to play and bypass the laws of the country?  Doesn't make any sense at all.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #769 on: January 10, 2022, 09:04:51 AM »
Djokovic could have gotten vaccinated, that’s on him. Craig Tiley (Tennis Australia) said he could play with a recent positive COVID-19 test as a medical exemption. Tiley has a history of overpromising. That’s on him. Tiley is otherwise well liked by players as a very good long time AO Tennis Director, one of the most popular places to play.

The sport, any sport, will always be bigger than any one player. I’m more interested in the actual tennis thus far, the 5 title winners etc…Anisimova, Barty, Monfils, Nadal, Halep.

20 year old American Amanda Anisimova wins her first title in a few years, since her father and coach u expectedly passed away. Has top 10 talent. Now working with Darren Cahill.

17 year old Coco Gauff taking World Number 1 the distance before falling in 3 sets. She was the only player to break Barty’s serve. Barty won both singles and doubles. She’s won 11 of the last 32 tourneys she has entered. At almost 35%, the next best is 17%.

Career high rankings for Americans Shelby Rogers 35, and Ann Li 44.

Canada wins the ATP Cup. Felix Auger Aliassime back in the top 10.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #770 on: January 10, 2022, 11:05:07 AM »
What they said.

This is "personal choice" working its magic. Djokovic personally chose to not get vaccinated and to try to get around Australia's national rules with a bogus exemption. Now he's personally choosing to fight it Australia enforcing its rules. And if he loses in court, as most expect he will, he can personally choose to either get the vaccine so he can compete in his favorite tournament and become the all-time majors winner, or he can personally choose to go home.

it looks like Joker won in court. This is going to get interesting.

At least Joker is consistent in his anti-vax stance. He's been this way well before Covid.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #771 on: January 10, 2022, 11:59:34 AM »
He's certainly a joke.

But a hell of a tennis player.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #772 on: January 10, 2022, 12:17:00 PM »
He's certainly a joke.

But a hell of a tennis player.
Here's some of his past claims:

The tennis star has a track record when it comes to questionable scientific claims.

In his book Serve to Win, Djokovic described how in 2010 he met with a nutritionist who asked him to hold a piece of bread in his left hand while he pressed down on his right arm. Djokovic claims he was much weaker while holding the bread, and cited this as evidence of gluten intolerance.

And during an Instagram live, he claimed that positive thought could "cleanse" polluted water, adding that "scientists have proven that molecules in water react to our emotions."

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #773 on: January 10, 2022, 01:48:04 PM »

The tennis star has a track record when it comes to questionable scientific claims.

In his book Serve to Win, Djokovic described how in 2010 he met with a nutritionist who asked him to hold a piece of bread in his left hand while he pressed down on his right arm. Djokovic claims he was much weaker while holding the bread, and cited this as evidence of gluten intolerance.

And during an Instagram live, he claimed that positive thought could "cleanse" polluted water, adding that "scientists have proven that molecules in water react to our emotions."

His nutritionist seems like a looney toon, however, I will say, whatever the path, him switching away from gluten in 2010 also coincides from when he went from a very good promising young player with a single Aussie Open and a bunch of near misses...to the absolute freak of nature destroyer he's become

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #774 on: January 10, 2022, 03:25:40 PM »

I'm not sure this is as crazy as most people think.  I don't know if there's extensive data but positive thoughts by many accounts can help plants grow.  As for the gluten thing?  I dunno.