[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Tennis  (Read 113544 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Tennis
« Reply #800 on: January 25, 2022, 09:39:55 AM »
He still super young, he has some seasoning to do, and his most appealing quality (his guns blazing fearlessness) is often his downfall…but man I want to see see Shapo put it all together. He’s so much fun to watch.   Lefty, one handed backhand, loves a jumping backhand, volatile, he’s a delight.  Also, a Israeli born Russian who grew up in Canada and lives in the Bahamas? That’s tennis in a nutshell.

Also, he’s not my guy but credit to Rafa for settling in and controlling set 5 after Shapo was on the war path

Shapovalov obviously has some growing up to do, but then again most 22-year-olds do. I agree with Gilbert on the areas of the game he needs to improve. But you're right, Wags, he has a chance to be really really good.

Rafa is my guy, and that was quite a match for him. He was in total control in the first two sets, his forehand looked better than ever; and he really composed himself in the 5th after dropping 2 sets. Overall, what's been most impressive to me is how much he has improved his serve since he turned, say, 32 or 33 years old. It's actually a weapon for him now. He won't blow anybody away with it like Isner, but he keeps his opponent on edge and sets himself up for so many winners with it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #801 on: January 28, 2022, 11:16:28 AM »
The combination of Rafa playing exceptionally well and Berrettini looking out of sorts gave Rafa a walk in the park to a 2-set lead. Berrettini finally started playing better and took the 3rd set, but as usual Rafa rose to the challenge to win in 4.

I didn't see Medvedev beat Tsitsipas but not too surprised Medvedev win. He'll be favored to beat Rafa, I'm guessing.

If Rafa finds a way to play his best game, he could make history. It would be truly amazing if this 35-year-old wonder can win Major #21 on his least favorite surface against the best young player in men's tennis.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #802 on: January 28, 2022, 11:22:36 AM »
In the “Open era.” (since 1968), an American Woman has reached a Grand Slam Final every year except one. (2006).

28 year old Danielle Collins makes it 16 straight years.

A Florida Public courts made youngster, 3 time Junior State Champion, two time NCAA Champion (Virginia) Danielle Collins is seeking her first Grand Slam Title. Now, a top 10 player. And, she had endometriosis surgery just last year to remove a painful cyst the size of a tennis ball.

Ash Barty does many things just a little bit better than most other players on tour. Seeking her long awaited, and first home Australia Grand Slam Single Title. Will any player win more games off of her than American Amanda Anisimova? So far, that answer is no.

Barty chose to sit out 2020 season during the Pandemic. She played 2021 without ever returning to Australia until the end of the year. Seeking her 3rd Grand Slam Title.

An all Australia Men’s Doubles Final of Kyrgios/Kakkinakis v Ebden/Purcell.

15 year old Washington D.C. native Clervie Ngounoue has won the Australian Open Junior Doubles Title with partner Diana Shnaider.

Rafa Nadal and Daniil Medvedev also advance to the Men’s Singles Final over Berrettini and Tsitsipas.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #803 on: January 29, 2022, 10:09:31 AM »
Indigenous Australian Evonne Goolagong won the French Open, Wimbledon, and Australian Open in order as her first major titles in the 1970's.

Fellow Indigenous Austrlain Ash Barty has now won the French Open, Wimbledon, and the Australian Open in order as her first three major titles. She comes back from down 1-5 in the 2nd set against Danielle Collins. (3 straight AO finals with Americans. 2 straight with former college players)

The only other active player to win majors on 3 different surfaces is Serena Williams.

Felllw Australians Nick Kyrgios and Thanasi Kokkankis win the Men's Doubles title.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #804 on: January 29, 2022, 03:00:31 PM »
Anytime Collins would start to make any kind of move, Barty would respond with brilliant shotmaking.

Deserving champion for sure, and I'm glad she got to be celebrated at home.

Go Rafa!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #805 on: January 30, 2022, 05:55:36 AM »
Medvy is starting to let the pro-Rafa crowd get to him.  If this goes to a 4th set you just never know.....vamos Rafa!

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #806 on: January 30, 2022, 06:00:28 AM »
Medvy is starting to let the pro-Rafa crowd get to him.  If this goes to a 4th set you just never know.....vamos Rafa!

Rafa looks like he’s got a spring in his step. Not sure it can last for 2 more sets.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #807 on: January 30, 2022, 06:12:15 AM »
He seems to be going to the drop shot a lot.  Absolute must hold here.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #808 on: January 30, 2022, 06:18:39 AM »
Oh....wow.  This just got more interesting.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #809 on: January 30, 2022, 06:25:47 AM »
Damn.  I just can't see Rafa pulling this off.  Loose game after getting a gift break.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #810 on: January 30, 2022, 07:01:11 AM »
Uhh.....BAM!!  VAMOS, VAMOS, VAMOS!!!

Man I hope he pulls this off.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #811 on: January 30, 2022, 07:02:06 AM »
I’m shocked this is going 5. Let’s hope Rafa pulls it out.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #812 on: January 30, 2022, 07:05:56 AM »
I’m shocked this is going 5. Let’s hope Rafa pulls it out.

I'm stunned as well.  Medvedev was in complete control. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #813 on: January 30, 2022, 08:02:59 AM »
Sweet Jesus!!  Rafa with a brutal service game up 5-4.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #814 on: January 30, 2022, 08:03:29 AM »
Ugh. Just like the Djokovic match awhile ago.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #815 on: January 30, 2022, 08:09:35 AM »
Time for Rafa to slam the door here.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #816 on: January 30, 2022, 08:13:32 AM »
KABOOM!!

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #817 on: January 30, 2022, 08:21:32 AM »
Really did not see that one going his way.

So awesome!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #818 on: January 30, 2022, 08:41:47 AM »
Wow ... just wow.

An amazing comeback for the greatest player in the history of tennis, and one of the most accomplished athletes the world has ever seen.

That is all. Just wow.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #819 on: January 30, 2022, 09:34:36 AM »
Wow ... just wow.

An amazing comeback for the greatest player in the history of tennis, and one of the most accomplished athletes the world has ever seen.

That is all. Just wow.

Medvy is really likable but Rafa's will to win and competitive spirit is as good as we have ever seen in the history of sports.  I believe Daniil will be sleeping poorly this evening for not unloading on his serve more often.  He was able to dictate the majority of the points but got too tentative when he had chances to thwack winners. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #820 on: January 30, 2022, 10:49:09 AM »
Medvy is really likable but Rafa's will to win and competitive spirit is as good as we have ever seen in the history of sports.  I believe Daniil will be sleeping poorly this evening for not unloading on his serve more often.  He was able to dictate the majority of the points but got too tentative when he had chances to thwack winners.

Agree with all that, Muggs. I thought Rafa blew it when he couldn't win the second set after getting up a break, and I surely thought he blew it in the 5th when he failed to close it out on his serve up 5-4. But he made all the shots that mattered in the next two games -- and, for that matter, in 3 sets in a row. He probably had a half-dozen winners that I thought were as good as any shots he had ever hit ... and that's saying something!

35 effen years old, still moves incredibly, so smart now in that he doesn't wear himself out on less important points and/or points he has 1% chance of winning, has improved his serve so much in his 30s, way underrated backhand, a wizard at the net.

This has gotten me psyched for the whuppin' we're about to put on The Provi!

I really never thought Rafa would pass Roger ... 21 majors ... what can you say?

Well, here's one more thing I can say as one of the biggest Rafa fans out there ...

Thanks Novak for being a dirtbag, a conspiracy theorist, an anti-vaxxer and a liar!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #821 on: January 30, 2022, 11:09:33 AM »
Agree with all that, Muggs. I thought Rafa blew it when he couldn't win the second set after getting up a break, and I surely thought he blew it in the 5th when he failed to close it out on his serve up 5-4. But he made all the shots that mattered in the next two games -- and, for that matter, in 3 sets in a row. He probably had a half-dozen winners that I thought were as good as any shots he had ever hit ... and that's saying something!

35 effen years old, still moves incredibly, so smart now in that he doesn't wear himself out on less important points and/or points he has 1% chance of winning, has improved his serve so much in his 30s, way underrated backhand, a wizard at the net.

This has gotten me psyched for the whuppin' we're about to put on The Provi!

I really never thought Rafa would pass Roger ... 21 majors ... what can you say?

Well, here's one more thing I can say as one of the biggest Rafa fans out there ...

Thanks Novak for being a dirtbag, a conspiracy theorist, an anti-vaxxer and a liar!

Djoker would have changed the draw I suppose but I feel the scrutiny would have worn him down mentally.  The two best players this fortnight played an epic final and the sport did not miss Djoker.  As for Medvedev I feel he'll win a bunch more majors.  Particularly in New York and Melbourne.  He has sneaky power and incredible movement for a man his size.   He got a bit off the strengths of his game and he lost momentum today.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #822 on: January 30, 2022, 11:20:02 AM »
Djoker would have changed the draw I suppose but I feel the scrutiny would have worn him down mentally.  The two best players this fortnight played an epic final and the sport did not miss Djoker.  As for Medvedev I feel he'll win a bunch more majors.  Particularly in New York and Melbourne.  He has sneaky power and incredible movement for a man his size.   He got a bit off the strengths of his game and he lost momentum today.

I've been very impressed with Medvedev's touch on drop shots and volleys, and as you said he has the rest of the game. He's young so probably not quite as strong mentally as a guy like Rafa. It takes time to get there.

If I'm to be objective, I'd say he and Djokovic have to be the two best all-around players in the world today. But if Rafa's healthy and on, he's right there. That's The Big 3 for the moment. We'll see how many moments Novak lets himself have in 2022, because as of this moment, he wouldn't be allowed to play in France or Flushing Meadows, either.

And you're right ... after the initial realization that he wasn't gonna play, he really wasn't missed Down Under.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #823 on: January 30, 2022, 11:28:40 AM »
I've been very impressed with Medvedev's touch on drop shots and volleys, and as you said he has the rest of the game. He's young so probably not quite as strong mentally as a guy like Rafa. It takes time to get there.

If I'm to be objective, I'd say he and Djokovic have to be the two best all-around players in the world today. But if Rafa's healthy and on, he's right there. That's The Big 3 for the moment. We'll see how many moments Novak lets himself have in 2022, because as of this moment, he wouldn't be allowed to play in France or Flushing Meadows, either.

And you're right ... after the initial realization that he wasn't gonna play, he really wasn't missed Down Under.

Medvy is one of the few guys I have seen dictate play against Djoker on a hard court.  He has a bigger serve and needs to uncork it more imo.  He also occasionally doesn't come in and end points when he should.  The bottom line is he has the game, and maybe Zverev does as well.  Mentally however both Rafa and Novak are extraordinary.  All I'm saying is if I was 6'6 I would be bombing serves and playing 1st attack tennis.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #824 on: January 30, 2022, 03:09:45 PM »
Medvy is one of the few guys I have seen dictate play against Djoker on a hard court.  He has a bigger serve and needs to uncork it more imo.  He also occasionally doesn't come in and end points when he should.  The bottom line is he has the game, and maybe Zverev does as well.  Mentally however both Rafa and Novak are extraordinary.  All I'm saying is if I was 6'6 I would be bombing serves and playing 1st attack tennis.

Well, you're at least 4'6, so you got that goin' for ya!