[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 08:56:20 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Tennis  (Read 113095 times)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Re: Tennis
« Reply #725 on: September 11, 2021, 05:21:26 PM »
Ha!  I didn't realize that!  Great observation Billy.

When you’re married to a Filipina you notice little things like that!  ;D ;D ;D

Though I did remind my wife those are also the colors of the Romanian flag and Emma is half-Romanian.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #726 on: September 11, 2021, 05:36:49 PM »
Wow.  That ceremony and those two young women, with their words, along with the crowd, was phenomenal.  You talk about impressive?  People you want to cheer for and are total class acts?  That was beyond refreshing and I hope other athletes across the spectrum  saw the trophy presentation.  I was tearing up and their parents must be so proud of them.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #727 on: September 11, 2021, 09:40:40 PM »
A quality match despite Leylah not serving well.  Radacanu's pop down the line is very impressive. Both of them brought it and are a pleasure to watch. I wasn't impressed by Fowler or Evert during the match.  Lots of nonsensical comments.

Chris Evertt, Chris Fowler, the Mcenroe's, basically all of them need to be sent to the old folks home and a new generation needs to be brought in.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #728 on: September 11, 2021, 10:34:22 PM »
Chris Evertt, Chris Fowler, the Mcenroe's, basically all of them need to be sent to the old folks home and a new generation needs to be brought in.

What really irritates me is Fowler literally "analyzes" each point.  Then he makes wild assumptions about how the match will go and each of their strategies based on the result of one freaking point.  It's absurd.  For example:  a player drop shots, it's not placed particularly well, and loses the point.  He'll mmediately utter something asinine like "that's not a good decision with the speed of so and so." 

And Evert isn't much better.  Projecting all sorts of  nonsense about players'  fatigue, nerves, their families, future success., etc, etc, etc.   Half the time or more I wanted them to stfu frankly and compliment the greatness of these young women.

I think you're right.  It's time for some new blood behind the booth.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 10:47:13 PM by MuggsyB »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #729 on: September 12, 2021, 08:00:04 AM »
I noticed that the ESPN website has Radacanu winning the USOpen as their 7th headline with no video of the match. 

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #730 on: September 12, 2021, 08:32:28 AM »
What really irritates me is Fowler literally "analyzes" each point.  Then he makes wild assumptions about how the match will go and each of their strategies based on the result of one freaking point.  It's absurd.  For example:  a player drop shots, it's not placed particularly well, and loses the point.  He'll mmediately utter something asinine like "that's not a good decision with the speed of so and so." 

And Evert isn't much better.  Projecting all sorts of  nonsense about players'  fatigue, nerves, their families, future success., etc, etc, etc.   Half the time or more I wanted them to stfu frankly and compliment the greatness of these young women.

I think you're right.  It's time for some new blood behind the booth.

Spot on, especially about Everett.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #731 on: September 12, 2021, 09:35:16 AM »
Spot on, especially about Everett.

Who could be brought in?  Lindsay Davenport?  I think Roddick is getting into broadcasting.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #732 on: September 12, 2021, 09:59:33 AM »
I didn't remember thinking, "Fowler and Evert are bad," and so I guess I didn't really notice. I'll take your word for it.

What I'll be interested in seeing is how good these young players get from here. When Ostapenko won the French a few years ago, I thought she had the game to really have a nice career, and she might, but she has been a disappointment since then.

Fernandez needs a bigger, more consistent serve, among other things. Raducanu looks like she has a very nice all-around game, but I've only seen this match and about a half-hour of her other matches combined, so I don't know. Tennis can always use an infusion of young talent, so I hope they have game for the long-term.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #733 on: September 12, 2021, 10:17:00 AM »
I didn't remember thinking, "Fowler and Evert are bad," and so I guess I didn't really notice. I'll take your word for it.

What I'll be interested in seeing is how good these young players get from here. When Ostapenko won the French a few years ago, I thought she had the game to really have a nice career, and she might, but she has been a disappointment since then.

Fernandez needs a bigger, more consistent serve, among other things. Raducanu looks like she has a very nice all-around game, but I've only seen this match and about a half-hour of her other matches combined, so I don't know. Tennis can always use an infusion of young talent, so I hope they have game for the long-term.

Trust me, they're abysmal. 

As far as the future of these women?  There's no way to know but Serena being near the end of career opens up a lot of opportunities.  Regardless, they are so likable and fun that I think they add a ton to the sport.  Past champions for the women have often been young but these two appear to have the whole package from a personality standpoint .  They play with tremendous fire along with a joy for the game.  Neither will be dominant but will get huge fan support. 

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #734 on: September 12, 2021, 10:53:50 AM »

What do you think will be a bigger issue in their futures? Their continued skill development ( I think Emma has the chance to be a top 5 player) or the outside pressures that neither have had to face before they became “name” players?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #735 on: September 12, 2021, 11:19:42 AM »
What do you think will be a bigger issue in their futures? Their continued skill development ( I think Emma has the chance to be a top 5 player) or the outside pressures that neither have had to face before they became “name” players?

Every person is different but there have been many great young players that have handled "outside pressures" quite well.  Now, this is a different era with social media but I think Evert among others are projecting some of Osaka's mental health issues on both Radacanu and Hernandez. 

That doesn't mean I'm discounting that they'll  have pressures, or that Osaka doesn't have a serious problem, but I think it mpacts players individually and we shouldn't make assumptions based on other players.   

Radacanu may have the potential to win a bunch of grand slams.  She has a lot of pop, a solid serve, grit, and excellent wheels.  If she gets another before she's 20 that will be added pressure.  Leylah has the disadvantage of being a bit undersized and can get overpowered.  Personally, I think clay will be her best surface. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #736 on: September 12, 2021, 01:39:35 PM »
They both seem to have incredible attitudes, Jockey, but it's a lot easier when expectations are so low and there is no pressure. I don't know anything about their family structures or any number of other things, so it's just gonna be a matter of seeing what happens.

They both definitely have things that need to be improved significantly to be long-term, big-time players, but they both do a lot well already. I'll be rooting for them!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #737 on: September 12, 2021, 02:35:08 PM »
I'm curious what the ratings are gonna be for the Final today?  This may not happen again in my lifetime but vs the NFL I doubt many people will watch. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #738 on: September 12, 2021, 03:24:07 PM »
Medvy with the early break. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #739 on: September 12, 2021, 03:55:57 PM »
Comfortable 1st set for Medvy.  He's serving huge.  Djoker will need to pick it up to pull this off.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #740 on: September 12, 2021, 04:21:26 PM »
Wow.  Djokovic just lost his mind.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #741 on: September 12, 2021, 04:50:07 PM »
Medvedev in complete control.  Tremendous serving and out-hitting. Novak.  Djoker doesn't have his A game but give DM a lot of credit. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #742 on: September 12, 2021, 04:57:00 PM »
Wow.  This is over.  Medvy will not be denied today.  Amazing court coverage and Djoker isn't getting free points on his serve.  Plus he went bananas for no reason.  Props to DM.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #743 on: September 12, 2021, 05:01:02 PM »
Perfect match thus far for Medvedev. Pretty incredible out of him.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #744 on: September 12, 2021, 05:20:12 PM »
Perfect match thus far for Medvedev. Pretty incredible out of him.

Complete domination.  I realize Djoker hasn't been anywhere near his top level but Medvedev has thoroughly outplayed him.  I also feel Zverev should have beaten Novak in the SF.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #745 on: September 12, 2021, 05:35:34 PM »
Just like Moses Malone predicted.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #746 on: September 12, 2021, 05:37:13 PM »
Just like Moses Malone predicted.

Huh?

MU82

• All American

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #748 on: September 12, 2021, 05:57:53 PM »
https://ballislife.com/fo-fo-fo-moses-malone-the-76ers-sweep-the-lakers-in-the-1983-finals/

Oh...I wasn't thinking about the actual score.

Moses was one cool dude.  Wish I could have seen him play.  Historically underrated imo.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #749 on: September 12, 2021, 06:16:45 PM »
Medvedev obviously played well, but Djokovic was so far away from top form that I feel quite a few opponents would have beaten Novak today.

Turned out to be a weird tournament.

Two unranked teens play for the women’s title, with the winner being the one who had to go through qualifying just to get in the field.

And a men’s draw without Rafa and Roger, and with Novak unable to muster the energy at the end to grab a historic victory.

With The Big 3 in their mid-30s and older, and with Serena obviously at or very near the end, is this the new normal for tennis? A new era that won’t be dominated by a very few players?