[Today at 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Is a tectonic change coming to college sports?  (Read 48553 times)

vogue65

• All American
Re: Is a tectonic change coming to college sports?
« Reply #75 on: August 16, 2020, 10:09:26 PM »
Thank you. We are all much dumber after reading this.

Talk to a person from Vietnam before posting this crap. I have talked to a recent iimmigrant, less than 1 year, and she paints a very, very different picture.

Yes, there are those who still believe the dream.  What do you suggest, we go back in and try again?  I know the party line well, this time we have better doctrine, better equipment, night vision, satellites, smart munitions, blah, blah, blah. 

Don't we all have friends who are from Vietnam?  My V.A. Phd. Pharmacist is living the American dream, good for her.   

Whatever different picture may be painted they aren't dying from us. 

I will always post crap that supports peace.   I can wave the flag along with anybody.
I hope nobody dies tonight from left over unexploded munitions. 
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 10:12:55 PM by vogue65 »

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #76 on: August 16, 2020, 10:57:30 PM »
Yes, there are those who still believe the dream.  What do you suggest, we go back in and try again?  I know the party line well, this time we have better doctrine, better equipment, night vision, satellites, smart munitions, blah, blah, blah. 

Don't we all have friends who are from Vietnam?  My V.A. Phd. Pharmacist is living the American dream, good for her.   

Whatever different picture may be painted they aren't dying from us. 

I will always post crap that supports peace.   I can wave the flag along with anybody.
I hope nobody dies tonight from left over unexploded munitions.

Try as I might every time I get about two sentences into anything you post my eyes glaze over.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #77 on: August 16, 2020, 11:05:36 PM »
Oklahoma says a lot, it may say it all.
Football players are just cannon fodder.
Hire them, run them, watch them get sick or hurt, and fire them.
One year scollarships, its good for business.
As long as they are willing and there is money to be made, why not?
It is the American way.
Not unlike Vietnam.

Is this your one and only outlet where you can launch on your anti American screeds and hate? You really are completely unhinged every time you post your vile rhetoric here.  Get some help please. 

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2020, 11:07:24 PM »
Try as I might every time I get about two sentences into anything you post my eyes glaze over.

I get it, been hearing that for years.
Anyway, thanks for trying.

It's not easy reading something outside the box. 
It's like poetry, an acquired taste.

We have a member who uses old Polish dialog, I think that is what it is.
I have to go slow and interpert his meaning.  Sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't.  At least I know it's him. 

The way I look at it is that my posts don't bore ME.   They may put some to sleep, but they are fun to write, ha.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #79 on: August 16, 2020, 11:14:19 PM »

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #80 on: August 16, 2020, 11:42:31 PM »
Is this your one and only outlet where you can launch on your anti American screeds and hate? You really are completely unhinged every time you post your vile rhetoric here.  Get some help please.

I've had lots of help and they say I'm just different. 

When the Air Force shrunk me, I was with ICBM launce officers at the time, they called themselves Missileers, typical, they were all straight shooters, and they all really fit in.  Two of us were found to be unique, different, outside the box.  Thank God the others were all so squeaky clean.

For a long time I thought I was nuts, now I understand that some people can't tolerate me, I make them uncomfortable, sorry.  Tolerance is hard for some people.

I have credentials that say I'm verfiable patriotic, although I don't plant or wave flags.  "Patriotism is the last refuge of scoundrels".    I have no idea where the charge of hate comes from, that's a new one.

When I was in the Marines they noticed my talents and gave me an opportunity to use them.

Please be more specific about being completely unhinged.  And vile rhetoric is also a new one on me.

It's getting to be closing time at the Vogue and the conversation starts getting a little slurred.
Time to clean up and count the money.  I enjoyed being the night bartender at the Vogue.  It was a time and place where people could talk face to face, honestly express themselves and show respect.  There was no hiding behind the anonymity of the internet.

The Vogue, a little history, was a Cocktail Bar across the street from the library next to the original Real Chili.   From the Vogue, with diploma in hand, I went into the Marines never to be the same, and I was very lucky.  1966 was a good year, for some of us.

You want to talk about Americanism, read the last stand at Khe Sanh.  My OCS class is there, my friend is there, you know the guy with the service dog, the black lab.  The dog keeps him hinged.

My heel spurs are acting up, time to turn out the lamp.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 11:45:05 PM by vogue65 »

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2020, 05:42:25 AM »

https://news.yahoo.com/how-the-coronavirus-could-change-college-sports-forever-173010824.html

The pandemic may have shifted the balance of power in favor of the athletes, who have suddenly been shown how much their schools rely on them. Before their seasons were canceled, football players from the Pac-12 banded together to create a list of demands including safety protocols and the right to financial compensation. The #WeWantToPlay movement also called for the creation of a college football players association. These collective actions could eventually lead to the creation of a players union and the end of amateurism.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #82 on: August 17, 2020, 05:49:38 AM »
What happened during the big conference call? I couldn’t find anything on ESPN, The Athletic or any other site.

@siryacht
B1G commissioner Kevin Warren scrapped the idea of Big Ten teams playing in the ACC and the Big 12, per source.

Warren is working with B1G presidents to reverse his original idea and see if they are able to have a conference season this fall.

@siryacht
Warren and B1G presidents determined today there 100% will not be a SPRING college football season, per source. Trying for the fall.

The objective is to try and figure out a way to have a bubble for the players to be isolated from other students on campus.

@siryacht
Source said they want to work fast on this and expect to come up with a decision on whether there will be a Big Ten football season in the next few days.

Warren changed his tone out of fear of teams going to other conferences and anger from players and parents.

@siryacht
Your favorite reporters know this information but will not talk about this out of fear of backlash of the B1G season not happening. But I don’t care.

I’m letting everyone know they’re doing everything in their power to have Big 10 college football this fall.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #83 on: August 17, 2020, 07:12:04 AM »
Yeah giving college students a free education for playing football is JUST like Vietnam. 🙄🙄🙄
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #84 on: August 17, 2020, 07:41:44 AM »
https://news.yahoo.com/how-the-coronavirus-could-change-college-sports-forever-173010824.html

The pandemic may have shifted the balance of power in favor of the athletes, who have suddenly been shown how much their schools rely on them. Before their seasons were canceled, football players from the Pac-12 banded together to create a list of demands including safety protocols and the right to financial compensation. The #WeWantToPlay movement also called for the creation of a college football players association. These collective actions could eventually lead to the creation of a players union and the end of amateurism.

Welcome to the party, pal
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #85 on: August 17, 2020, 07:49:04 AM »
Yeah giving college students a free education for playing football is JUST like Vietnam. 🙄🙄🙄

Not exactly, but there are similarities.
The number of fatalities.
The poor pay of grunts.
The military has long used a free education as a lure for enlistments.  I used the G.I. Bill for my M.B.A..
Not to mention that the big time football players get a one year "free education".  When they get hurt they are just like cannon fodder.
We can glorify war all we want, but our V.A. Hospitals are full of the real price of service.
There are many former students carrying around long term negative physical consequences of playing for which they were never compensated.
Otherwise you are right, apples and oranges.

• All American
« Reply #86 on: August 17, 2020, 07:56:10 AM »
Not exactly, but there are similarities.
The number of fatalities.

WTF?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #87 on: August 17, 2020, 08:03:56 AM »
WTF?

Vietnam, 50,000 in 10 years plus suicides
COVID, 170,000 in 6 months and counting
BTW, Vietnam just had its first case

First things first, first get the pandemic under control and then play football if you must.
That's WTF.

• All American
« Reply #88 on: August 17, 2020, 08:09:11 AM »
Vietnam, 50,000 in 10 years plus suicides
COVID, 170,000 in 6 months and counting
BTW, Vietnam just had its first case

First things first, first get the pandemic under control and then play football if you must.
That's WTF.

What does this have to do with college football?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #89 on: August 17, 2020, 08:56:51 AM »

Nothing. This thread has taken the classic Scoopaloop turn.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #90 on: August 17, 2020, 08:57:25 AM »

Good question, what does college football have to do with COVID?
Answer, everything.   Bergamo Italy believes that the rapid spread of COVID started at a soccer game.  Crowds and close contact are a problem.

What does COVID have to do with Vietnam?
Answer, everything.
The second greatest mass fatality event in my lifetime.
A political event which is tearing our country apart.

What does football have to do with Vietnam?
Under paid gladiators, war-fighters performing for others at their personal expense.
Granted most Vietnam casualties were drafted and football players are volunteers. 
However, the outcome is similar.

Problem number one is the virus, problem number two is the government handling of problem number one, and problem number three is Americas handling of college football players.  Similar to Americas handling of Vietnam.   

America has a strange way of dealing with big problems.  America lets politics rule everything.  Great in the 18 century, not so great in the 21st. 

• All American
« Reply #91 on: August 17, 2020, 09:24:18 AM »
Answer, everything.   Bergamo Italy believes that the rapid spread of COVID started at a soccer game.  Crowds and close contact are a problem.

Answer, everything.

Under paid gladiators, war-fighters performing for others at their personal expense.
Granted most Vietnam casualties were drafted and football players are volunteers. 

Problem number one is the virus, problem number two is the government handling of problem number one, and problem number three is Americas handling of college football players.  Similar to Americas handling of Vietnam.   

America has a strange way of dealing with big problems.  America lets politics rule everything.  Great in the 18 century, not so great in the 21st. 

This philosophical word salad is....something.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #92 on: August 17, 2020, 09:55:06 AM »

Answer, everything.

Given the way you connected COVID to Vietnam, we could use the same logic to rail against just about anything. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #93 on: August 17, 2020, 10:09:37 AM »
@siryacht
B1G commissioner Kevin Warren scrapped the idea of Big Ten teams playing in the ACC and the Big 12, per source.

Warren is working with B1G presidents to reverse his original idea and see if they are able to have a conference season this fall.

@siryacht
Warren and B1G presidents determined today there 100% will not be a SPRING college football season, per source. Trying for the fall.

The objective is to try and figure out a way to have a bubble for the players to be isolated from other students on campus.

@siryacht
Source said they want to work fast on this and expect to come up with a decision on whether there will be a Big Ten football season in the next few days.

Warren changed his tone out of fear of teams going to other conferences and anger from players and parents.

@siryacht
Your favorite reporters know this information but will not talk about this out of fear of backlash of the B1G season not happening. But I don’t care.

I’m letting everyone know they’re doing everything in their power to have Big 10 college football this fall.

In other words, just about everything in your post of August 15, 2020, 09:51:07 PM turned out to be BS, with "SirYacht" having no clue about what actually was going to happen.

Thanks for keeping us up to date with bad information from a source who apparently is taking wild guesses. Very useful!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #94 on: August 17, 2020, 10:37:41 AM »
Given the way you connected COVID to Vietnam, we could use the same logic to rail against just about anything.

Yes, anything as important as COVID, Vietnam and college football.

I would not waste my time railing against less important subjects.

In my lifetime COVID, Vietnam and the undue influence of college football warrant a good rail.

The lack of common sense, science, ethics and morals surrounding these three subjects connect them in my mind.

Perhaps in the mind of others they are compartmentalized, I understand that.

It is only in hindsight that I see what were the truly important events in my life. 

That is why they are so clear in my mind.

For example, the JFK assination (I was walking in the alley next to the old Union), LBJ declares he would not run for re-election (I was in a Quantico bar at the station), 9/11 (I was at a conference in Orlando), COVID (My wife was in Bergamo and got out just in time). 

My mind can find patternicity in all these events.  Most people would not.

I would not claim that my process is logical.  All I can say is that it works for me.

Therefore:  yes there is a tectonic change coming in college sports.  It has probably happened and we can't or won't see it.  It is a big event like the JFK assenation, COVID, 9/11, and yes, Vietnam.  So why not connect big events, tectonic events?

« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 10:42:44 AM by vogue65 »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #95 on: August 17, 2020, 10:48:14 AM »
Therefore:  yes there is a tectonic change coming in college sports.  It has probably happened and we can't or won't see it.  It is a big event like the JFK assenation, COVID, 9/11, and yes, Vietnam.  So why not connect big events, tectonic events?
You forgot Hiroshima!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #96 on: August 17, 2020, 11:14:09 AM »
[...]
[...]

This is getting... performance art-ish.

• All American
« Reply #97 on: August 17, 2020, 11:21:16 AM »
In other words, just about everything in your post of August 15, 2020, 09:51:07 PM turned out to be BS, with "SirYacht" having no clue about what actually was going to happen.

Thanks for keeping us up to date with bad information from a source who apparently is taking wild guesses. Very useful!

He's not even taking bad guesses.  He is making wild statements so Pat McAfee will talk about him.

https://twitter.com/SirYacht/status/1295360113461596160?s=20

I think the idea that Ohio State and Michigan are looking to play football elsewhere, even though their Presidents voted to not play football this fall, is hilarious.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #98 on: August 17, 2020, 11:24:43 AM »

In my lifetime COVID, Vietnam and the undue influence of college football warrant a good rail.

The lack of common sense, science, ethics and morals surrounding these three subjects connect them in my mind.

It is only in hindsight that I see what were the truly important events in my life. 

For example, the JFK assination (I was walking in the alley next to the old Union), LBJ declares he would not run for re-election (I was in a Quantico bar at the station), 9/11 (I was at a conference in Orlando), COVID (My wife was in Bergamo and got out just in time). 

I would not claim that my process is logical.  All I can say is that it works for me.

Vogue,

I like posters with some perspective.  I may not agree with you on everything but appreciate how your numerous lifetime experiences formed your thought processes and perspectives. Keep being you.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #99 on: August 17, 2020, 01:55:14 PM »

I agree that, like Vietnam, COVID is an historic event that will be talked about for decades - probably centuries - to come.

But I still want to know how Kevin Bacon fits into all this.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 01:56:59 PM by GooooMarquette »