[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Is a tectonic change coming to college sports?  (Read 48371 times)

vogue65

• All American
Re: Is a tectonic change coming to college sports?
« Reply #100 on: August 17, 2020, 02:40:26 PM »
You forgot Hiroshima!

I  was two, but you are correct, a game changer for sure.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #101 on: August 17, 2020, 02:46:39 PM »
Where does the invention of the internet rank on this impactful events scale?  Seems like it's done as much harm as good.
Maigh Eo for Sam

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #102 on: August 17, 2020, 02:51:12 PM »
Vogue,

I like posters with some perspective.  I may not agree with you on everything but appreciate how your numerous lifetime experiences formed your thought processes and perspectives. Keep being you.

Thanks, it took a couple of shrinks to convince me that it was O.K. being me.   The system is set up for a certain way of thinking.  My wife is a Doctor with organized, logical, scientific thinking.

Anyone remember Dr. Simmons, The Scientific Art of Logic?  I got an F, had to repeat it with another teacher, I got a D and could have cared less.  I got the requirement.

Today I can perform inside the box, but outside is more fun.  Scoop can be way outside the box although most people think Scoop is mainstream.

Thanks again.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #103 on: August 17, 2020, 03:01:05 PM »
Where does the invention of the internet rank on this impactful events scale?  Seems like it's done as much harm as good.

It has not fundamentally changed much.  It is faster and more anonymous with easier collaborating, but it's just data storage like a library and communication like a telaphone.  It is same, same but much faster.

Did you read the brouhaha here about fads?  I find it hard to seperate out fads from evolutions and  transformative events.

I have had 5 Weber grills, they have changed and improved, but it's still a grill and it cooks my steak.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #104 on: August 17, 2020, 03:10:50 PM »

I agree that, like Vietnam, COVID is an historic event that will be talked about for decades - probably centuries - to come.

But I still want to know how Kevin Bacon fits into all this.

Very funny, sad to say my movie knowledge is pathetic.  Hay, you can't do everything.
I get an education around here all the time.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #105 on: August 17, 2020, 03:39:36 PM »
Vogue,

I like posters with some perspective.  I may not agree with you on everything but appreciate how your numerous lifetime experiences formed your thought processes and perspectives. Keep being you.

Seconded.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #106 on: August 17, 2020, 07:24:47 PM »
It has not fundamentally changed much.  It is faster and more anonymous with easier collaborating, but it's just data storage like a library and communication like a telaphone.  It is same, same but much faster.

Did you read the brouhaha here about fads?  I find it hard to seperate out fads from evolutions and  transformative events.

I have had 5 Weber grills, they have changed and improved, but it's still a grill and it cooks my steak.
The faster transmission of information had compressed decision cycles . Social anonymity Creates a vehicle for enhanced tension .

Paradigm changing advancements
1. Jet Planes
2. Air Conditioning
3. Internet
4. Interstate System

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #107 on: August 17, 2020, 11:51:26 PM »
The faster transmission of information had compressed decision cycles . Social anonymity Creates a vehicle for enhanced tension .

Paradigm changing advancements
1. Jet Planes
2. Air Conditioning
3. Internet
4. Interstate System

Interesting list.

I flew from New York to Milwaukee on D.C. 7's, then the turboprop Electra, then the 707.
Now New York to Europe on 767 or 777.  New York  to Milwaukee on a small Ebinar jet.  Faster, but cramped.

Not much really changed except larger, faster, higher and longer range.  Along with smaller seats, fewer toilets per passenger, and biger airport's.   

Air Conditioning was a big deal.  Closed down local dairies, created the frozen food industry, moved the population south, you are right, a true paradigm shift.

The interstate road system redefined America.   It hurt the rail industry, and made Walmart possible, big change.   Again faster point to point truck delivery.  Just in time, etc.  Looks like paradigm can simply mean faster.  The interstate mostly effected transportation.

I don't think that just because an industry evolves we have a paradigm shift.  I'd say Air Conditioning is the bigest true paradigm shift.  It created a new technology, and had widespread impact.

I'm just playing mind games with myself.  Easier to say all change is a paradigm shift of sorts.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #108 on: August 18, 2020, 06:48:02 AM »
I'd argue the 24-hour news cycle coupled with overturning the equal time doctrine. This, along with the CNN coverage of Desert Storm, moved news from being a source of information to just another ratings/marketing ploy. The consequence has changed our government from being built on compromise to strict, unwavering tribalism.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #109 on: August 18, 2020, 07:03:56 AM »
Let's try and steer this back to college football.

Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren has led the effort to cancel the fall football season.  He has repeatedly said it is unsafe to play.

His son is Powers Warren.  He is a redshirt junior tight end at Mississippi State.

He began practice this week and will play this fall.

I'm sure Kevin is very proud of him and looks forward to watching him play.

https://www.outkick.com/big-ten-commissioners-son-is-playing-at-mississippi-state-this-fall/
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 07:16:38 AM by Heisenberg v2.0 »
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #110 on: August 18, 2020, 08:14:50 AM »
Warren is rightfully getting a lot of flak over how the Big Ten has handled this situation.

But he works for the Presidents.  It was them who decided to shut down the season.  And it was them who are hanging their commissioner out to dry.  Granted a more experienced guy like Jim Delaney would not have let that happen, but no one really seems to be calling out the B10 presidents.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #111 on: August 18, 2020, 11:00:43 AM »
Let's try and steer this back to college football.

Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren has led the effort to cancel the fall football season.  He has repeatedly said it is unsafe to play.

His son is Powers Warren.  He is a redshirt junior tight end at Mississippi State.

He began practice this week and will play this fall.

I'm sure Kevin is very proud of him and looks forward to watching him play.

https://www.outkick.com/big-ten-commissioners-son-is-playing-at-mississippi-state-this-fall/

Let's try and get away from irrevelant details and talk about tectonic change.
Are we talking about a game here or there, a coach, a commissioners news release or as one has broached, a paradigm shift?

Are we living thru a blip or will college sports change from now forward?

For example, will there ever again be in person political conventions?

One season does not make for tectonic (the real topic) change.  Or does it?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #112 on: August 18, 2020, 11:16:53 AM »
In no world is college football “essential”
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #113 on: August 18, 2020, 01:13:46 PM »
Depends on what world your are from ....
1. Tuscaloosa
2. Tallahasse
3. South Bend
4. Lincoln
5. Baton Rouge
6 . Etc

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #114 on: August 18, 2020, 01:29:13 PM »
1. Tuscaloosa
2. Tallahasse
3. South Bend
4. Lincoln
5. Baton Rouge
6 . Etc

Interesting how most of those places have COVID numbers that are off the charts....

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #115 on: August 18, 2020, 01:46:27 PM »
1. Tuscaloosa
2. Tallahasse
3. South Bend
4. Lincoln
5. Baton Rouge
6 . Etc

That’s a cultural problem

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #116 on: August 18, 2020, 02:16:53 PM »

I agree with your point in general. However the decision to cancel football impacts more than just greedy schools trying to make millions. Football generates revenue that goes to funding all aspects of the university. Without it, thousands of people will lose their jobs, academic programs will get cut, financial aid will get cut, the decision has a very far reaching impact. Bill School once said that Marquette basketball generated $7 for every $1 the university spent on it. Most of that money goes back into supporting the university, not lining its pockets. I'd imagine football has an even bigger impact on football schools than basketball does here.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #117 on: August 18, 2020, 02:22:59 PM »
I agree with your point in general. However the decision to cancel football impacts more than just greedy schools trying to make millions. Football generates revenue that goes to funding all aspects of the university. Without it, thousands of people will lose their jobs, academic programs will get cut, financial aid will get cut, the decision has a very far reaching impact. Bill School once said that Marquette basketball generated $7 for every $1 the university spent on it. Most of that money goes back into supporting the university, not lining its pockets. I'd imagine football has an even bigger impact on football schools than basketball does here.

I’m aware of the economic impact college football games have in general.  Restaurants and bars are pandemic spreaders.  If they play college football with full stadiums, partial stadiums, 1/4 filled stadiums, we already know the results.  Universities made their bed with the devil.  The bill always comes due

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #118 on: August 18, 2020, 02:53:39 PM »

I agree with you.  But it’s interesting how this is the exact argument for those concerned about diverting money away from the universities to pay student athletes more than they already get.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #119 on: August 18, 2020, 04:51:37 PM »
I agree with you.  But it’s interesting how this is the exact argument for those concerned about diverting money away from the universities to pay student athletes more than they already get.

Further proves the value of the student athlete is far greater than simply a scholarship

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #120 on: August 18, 2020, 05:15:19 PM »
Further proves the value of the student athlete is far greater than simply a scholarship

Chicken or the egg.  What comes first.  Plenty of semipro leagues to play in but these kids choose colleges with built in fan bases to show their wares and get a first class education.  Can’t get something for nothing.

It’s not as black and white as you think. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #121 on: August 18, 2020, 05:18:34 PM »
Chicken or the egg.  What comes first.  Plenty of semipro leagues to play in but these kids choose colleges with built in fan bases to show their wares and get a first class education.  Can’t get something for nothing.

It’s not as black and white as you think.

Maybe not, but the work has turned and universities are terrified

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #122 on: August 18, 2020, 05:30:40 PM »
Agreed. Universities should be terrified.  Hell TAMU and others who work at Universities should be terrified. There is not an unlimited supply of money as some people think. 

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #123 on: August 18, 2020, 09:00:51 PM »
We are taking about Nebraska

The "N" on their helmet stands for knowledge.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #124 on: August 18, 2020, 09:21:46 PM »
Vogue,

+1
It's easy enough to move on if you don't like it.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

feedback