collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:41:27 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:00:22 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2020-21 College Football Thread  (Read 90150 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: 2020-21 College Football Thread
« Reply #675 on: December 18, 2020, 11:28:12 AM »
Brian Kelly threatening to skip the CFP if families of players aren't allowed to attend.  Is this him worrying about families, or putting the lives of humans at risk for football again?  Or is it him just not wanting to lose by about 40 in another CFP semifinal?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #676 on: December 18, 2020, 11:46:30 AM »
Brian Kelly threatening to skip the CFP if families of players aren't allowed to attend.  Is this him worrying about families, or putting the lives of humans at risk for football again?  Or is it him just not wanting to lose by about 40 in another CFP semifinal?

He's killed before, and once they get the taste for human blood...

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #677 on: December 18, 2020, 12:34:08 PM »

After they lose by 40 tomorrow, it might not be an issue....

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #678 on: December 18, 2020, 12:38:44 PM »

After they lose by 40 tomorrow, it might not be an issue....

Think they'd still be in.

Also, will Lance Leipold get the Illinois job?  I think you could certainly do worse.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #679 on: December 18, 2020, 12:49:13 PM »
Notre Dame will be in regardless.  But if they get crushed, and they whine about no family, then the CFP should just take A&M.

Illinois interviewed Leipold and Beilema this week.  Rumor is they are also looking at Dave Clawson (Wake) and Todd Monken (Army).  If I were a betting man, I would guess Leipold is announced there sometime this weekend after the MAC Championship Game tonight.  (I don't know anything.)
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #680 on: December 18, 2020, 02:37:55 PM »

I find it hilarious that BK is feigning concern for anyone other than himself, which flies directly in the face of his background and behavior his entire career. I have a friend that played for him at Cincy (inherited, as he was recruited and signed by Dantonio) and he basically said he was a very good coach but an abysmal human that had very little relationship with his players and nobody was sad when he left.

I also saw people saying Clemson-ND was that a**hole bowl and saying Dabo hasn’t killed anyone *YET* and linked some COVID article which was eye roll worthy.

Notre Dame will be in regardless.  But if they get crushed, and they whine about no family, then the CFP should just take A&M.

Illinois interviewed Leipold and Beilema this week.  Rumor is they are also looking at Dave Clawson (Wake) and Todd Monken (Army).  If I were a betting man, I would guess Leipold is announced there sometime this weekend after the MAC Championship Game tonight.  (I don't know anything.)

Clawson is actually a really solid option. Dude won at multiple levels, did well at a dump which is BG, and while he’s not been stellar at Wake, that’s a near impossible place to win with absolutely no history. 

• All American
« Reply #681 on: December 19, 2020, 07:59:33 AM »
Looks like Illinois is going with Beilema.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #682 on: December 19, 2020, 08:22:29 AM »

Not the most exciting hire, but hey could and have done much worse.

• All American
« Reply #683 on: December 19, 2020, 08:50:42 AM »
I could see how it would work.  He knows the Big Ten, he has an engaging personality and can recruit well. 

But in his best years at Wisconsin, he had Paul Chryst as his offensive coordinator and Dave Doeren (current NC State head coach) as his defensive coordinator.  And even when Doeren left, he hired Chris Ash as his DC.  So how much was their success due to him, or due to his staff?

At Arkansas, he never got the staff right.  And while he looked like he was just about there at times, playing Alabama, Auburn and LSU every year was a hard thing to overcome.  (And it will be hard for Arkansas to overcome for a long time.)  Part of this was because he didn't pull a bunch of his staff from Wisconsin to Arkansas.  Word is, that he's not the most likeable guy and burned a lot of bridges both at UW and Arkansas.

This is probably why some of the Illinois AD's statements about him being a "lifelong learner" struck me as interesting.  I think the AD knows some of this, and pressed it during his interview.  Which is a good thing.  We will see where it goes.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #684 on: December 19, 2020, 09:08:10 AM »
I could see how it would work.  He knows the Big Ten, he has an engaging personality and can recruit well. 

But in his best years at Wisconsin, he had Paul Chryst as his offensive coordinator and Dave Doeren (current NC State head coach) as his defensive coordinator.  And even when Doeren left, he hired Chris Ash as his DC.  So how much was their success due to him, or due to his staff?

At Arkansas, he never got the staff right.  And while he looked like he was just about there at times, playing Alabama, Auburn and LSU every year was a hard thing to overcome.  (And it will be hard for Arkansas to overcome for a long time.)  Part of this was because he didn't pull a bunch of his staff from Wisconsin to Arkansas.  Word is, that he's not the most likeable guy and burned a lot of bridges both at UW and Arkansas.

This is probably why some of the Illinois AD's statements about him being a "lifelong learner" struck me as interesting.  I think the AD knows some of this, and pressed it during his interview.  Which is a good thing.  We will see where it goes.

I’m excited for the same people that spent years telling me what a great coach he was now telling me he was never that good all over again
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #685 on: December 19, 2020, 12:44:39 PM »

Does he still have his Vegas stripper wife? 

I still can’t believe that meathead hooked up with Erin Andrews.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 03:55:51 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #686 on: December 19, 2020, 12:46:07 PM »
Cmon Cats, finish the job...

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #687 on: December 19, 2020, 12:51:15 PM »

I still can’t believe that meathead hooked up with Erin Andrew’s.
Who is Erin Andrew, and with what part of her did he hook up?

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #688 on: December 19, 2020, 01:20:14 PM »
I’ve done a 180 on Justin Fields. I have major concerns about him at the next level. I’ve watched most of their games this year, and I don’t think I could invest a top 10 pick in him. I think he has a high ceiling, but he’s made more than one games worth of poor decision making.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #689 on: December 19, 2020, 01:27:59 PM »
I’ve done a 180 on Justin Fields. I have major concerns about him at the next level. I’ve watched most of their games this year, and I don’t think I could invest a top 10 pick in him. I think he has a high ceiling, but he’s made more than one games worth of poor decision making.

In fairness, Northwestern’s secondary may be the best in the country.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #690 on: December 19, 2020, 01:35:11 PM »

I’m talking totality of this season. He has moments that are outstanding, but way too many times I’ve watched him this year and came away uninspired.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #691 on: December 19, 2020, 01:36:24 PM »

But Dish noted that Fields has had 'more than one game' where his decisionmaking was suspect. One game against NU? No big deal. But an emerging pattern? Big deal.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #692 on: December 19, 2020, 01:48:44 PM »
Cmon Cats, finish the job...

They gonna need to start tackling Sermon before he gets 15 yards.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #693 on: December 19, 2020, 01:51:01 PM »

I will go on the record to say I absolutely do not want the Panthers to draft him if he's available.

You know who has secondaries even better than Northwestern's? Every NFL team.

But Dish noted that Fields has had 'more than one game' where his decisionmaking was suspect. One game against NU? No big deal. But an emerging pattern? Big deal.

Yep. Hard pass.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #694 on: December 19, 2020, 02:05:52 PM »
I’m talking totality of this season. He has moments that are outstanding, but way too many times I’ve watched him this year and came away uninspired.

That’s fair. Dropping just far enough for the Bears to pick him up at 14.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #695 on: December 19, 2020, 02:10:34 PM »
I think Fields would have to have a red shirt year his rookie season. He’d have to go to a team with a good coordinator and QB coach. I don’t think he sucks or anything like that, but how he sees the field, his decision making, the speed of defenses in the NFL will hurt his passing game.

He’s athletic, has good running vision, I like his arm, but if I’m a GM holding a top 10 pick, I don’t know if I could take Fields. Especially with a fairly loaded offensive group of talent in round 1 next year.

• All American
« Reply #696 on: December 19, 2020, 02:13:18 PM »
I would put A&M in the CFP before OSU. It won’t happen I know.

Unless Northwestern makes a comeback here, A&M has to hope for a Clemson loss.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #697 on: December 19, 2020, 02:20:10 PM »
They gonna need to start tackling Sermon before he gets 15 yards.

And thats the end of that
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #698 on: December 19, 2020, 02:30:03 PM »
Does he still have his Vegas stripper wife? 

I still can’t believe that meathead hooked up with Erin Andrew’s.

No no, she’s just a generic Florida bimbo he met in Vegas. PJ Fleck is the one who married a stripper, a Kalamazoo stripper nonetheless.

And I’m nearly positive Wisconsin fans started that EA rumor to make Bielema seem like anything but the bloated lush gaming on every girl on State St he was.  No way the dude with his off the field antics and profile was wooing EA at the height of her fame when every athlete was shooting their shot.

Agreed. For lack of a better phrase, Fields needs to be humbled. He’s too confident in his arm and superior athleticism. And that’s not the “confidence” you want in a QB. It’s the arrogance that leads to picks and bad decisions time and time again.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #699 on: December 19, 2020, 02:31:31 PM »
Easy cover at least