collapse

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 03:31:34 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 03:21:55 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2020-21 College Football Thread  (Read 90171 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: 2020-21 College Football Thread
« Reply #600 on: December 12, 2020, 09:17:48 PM »
He’s due $6MM next year at a top 10 job. Nobody anywhere near UT prestige is gonna be looking at him, much less somewhere that can pay his salary and/or buyout.

Given the history of Texas since Darrell Royal left, is it a top ten job?  I know people think it is, but look at the results of Texas football since 1977. 

8 conference championships since then.  Mack Brown won two conference championships and a national title.  One undefeated season in that span.

A state with multiple D-1 schools and one in the SEC.  It might be a top ten job but it’s not the slam dunk people think it is
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #601 on: December 12, 2020, 09:22:31 PM »
Given the history of Texas since Darrell Royal left, is it a top ten job?  I know people think it is, but look at the results of Texas football since 1977. 

8 conference championships since then.  Mack Brown won two conference championships and a national title.  One undefeated season in that span.

A state with multiple D-1 schools and one in the SEC.  It might be a top ten job but it’s not the slam dunk people think it is

Yes, it is.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #602 on: December 12, 2020, 09:25:21 PM »
Yes, it is.

If you had to list the top 10 jobs in college football, what are they?

There’s no right answer but it’s a fun discussion

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #603 on: December 12, 2020, 09:51:11 PM »
Incredible game between LSU and Florida. LSU just hit a 57 yard field goal in the fog with 23 seconds to go to take a 37-34 lead.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #604 on: December 12, 2020, 09:58:58 PM »
Incredible game between LSU and Florida. LSU just hit a 57 yard field goal in the fog with 23 seconds to go to take a 37-34 lead.

Incredible performance by LSU.  54 scholarship players, lose 4-5 more during the game with a true frosh at QB and win at the Swamp.  Had luck on their side tonight for sure but still a huge win

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #605 on: December 12, 2020, 09:59:33 PM »

After the drive was extended because a player on Florida whipped an LSU player’s shoe after stopping them on third down.

College football is so great.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #606 on: December 12, 2020, 09:59:55 PM »
In no particular order, Bama, Texas, LSU, Oregon, Ohio State, Florida, USC, Clemson, Oklahoma, Georgia.

Honestly, I think Texas is a top 5 job. Pay and talent within the state alone is enough to lure a top coach anytime it opens up.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

• All American
« Reply #607 on: December 12, 2020, 10:02:39 PM »
In no particular order, Bama, Texas, LSU, Oregon, Ohio State, Florida, USC, Clemson, Oklahoma, Georgia.

Honestly, I think Texas is a top 5 job. Pay and talent within the state alone is enough to lure a top coach anytime it opens up.

Yeah except a lot of that talent doesn’t seem to want to play for Texas.

And this top 10 is good but I would put Michigan in instead of Oregon.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 10:04:38 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #608 on: December 12, 2020, 10:06:03 PM »

Oodles of talent in the state but within your own league, you compete with 3 other state schools and multiple D1 schools.  On top of that, Oklahoma has a history of poaching talent and the SEC has a foothold with A&M.

Mack Brown did a great job there but he only won 2 league championships. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #609 on: December 13, 2020, 12:29:56 AM »
Oodles of talent in the state but within your own league, you compete with 3 other state schools and multiple D1 schools.  On top of that, Oklahoma has a history of poaching talent and the SEC has a foothold with A&M.

Mack Brown did a great job there but he only won 2 league championships. 

Oklahoma is a better job than Texas over the last 25 years. Largely due to success. But Texas, with a competent coach, has nothing to fear from any other schools in the state. No kid grows up wanting to play for A&M unless their parents are Aggies. Texas, even in down years, still has the ear of every top recruit in the state. They’ve just made some bad coaching and administrative moves recently.  My sister moved to Dallas about 6 years ago and she couldn’t believe the aura around UT and it’s sports in Dallas even among non alums. It’s profound

Resources, talent pool, history, campus, reputation. Texas is as close to the total package as you can get.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #610 on: December 13, 2020, 01:40:35 AM »
I'm a tad biased, but I think you underestimate the presence of A&M in the state. UT definitely has a bigger fanbase but A&M's extends far past their former students and their families. Plus, while many current recruits parents grew up Longhorn fans, the current recruits' formative years have seen mostly terrible football from the Longhorns while A&M has been on the rise. Throw in the fact that A&M gets to play Bama, LSU, Auburn, every year and you can see why they've been dominating Texas in in-state recruiting for the past 7 or 8 years.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

• All American
« Reply #611 on: December 13, 2020, 07:42:31 AM »
Oklahoma is a better job than Texas over the last 25 years. Largely due to success. But Texas, with a competent coach, has nothing to fear from any other schools in the state. No kid grows up wanting to play for A&M unless their parents are Aggies. Texas, even in down years, still has the ear of every top recruit in the state. They’ve just made some bad coaching and administrative moves recently.  My sister moved to Dallas about 6 years ago and she couldn’t believe the aura around UT and it’s sports in Dallas even among non alums. It’s profound

Resources, talent pool, history, campus, reputation. Texas is as close to the total package as you can get.

But despite this, it hasn't seemed to work out very often.  Why is that?

I've said this before, but I don't think the pull of UT is as strong as you claim.  I think a lot of the prospects don't necessarily have a loyalty to UT.  Texas is huge, with a lot of immigrants from other states, and a large number of four year institutions in state for one to have loyalty to.  And Dallas is as close to Norman, OK as it is to Austin.

Second, their conference situation isn't great.  They drove off two of the more marquee members of the conference, including their in-state rival to the SEC.  Outside of their game against Oklahoma, and possible OSU, who do you play?  As TAMU said, A&M has Alabama, Auburn and LSU every year, and occasional games against Florida, Georgia, etc.  And I would like to see the numbers, but it is quite possible that A&M will bring in more revenue with the new SEC TV contract than UT does. 

If I were UT I would approach the Big Ten about membership.  That would be a gold mine for them (and the rest of the B10 members) more than the B12 + Longhorn Network would be.  Try to keep Oklahoma on the schedule.  Try to bring back A&M. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #612 on: December 13, 2020, 08:17:45 AM »

If I were UT I would approach the Big Ten about membership.  That would be a gold mine for them (and the rest of the B10 members) more than the B12 + Longhorn Network would be.  Try to keep Oklahoma on the schedule.  Try to bring back A&M.

I'm certainly not in the rooms where the scheduling happens, but what I've heard from some people in the athletic department is that A&M is and has been ready to resume the rivalry but UT has declined. What I've been told is that UT has no interest in resuming the rivalry until they are confident that they will win more games than they lose. As the programs currently are, A&M would be favored to win most years.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #613 on: December 13, 2020, 08:36:36 AM »
I'm certainly not in the rooms where the scheduling happens, but what I've heard from some people in the athletic department is that A&M is and has been ready to resume the rivalry but UT has declined. What I've been told is that UT has no interest in resuming the rivalry until they are confident that they will win more games than they lose. As the programs currently are, A&M would be favored to win most years.

Put Texas, Nebraska and Michigan in a conference together and call it the “Remember When” league

• All American
« Reply #614 on: December 13, 2020, 08:37:22 AM »

Which is just hilarious. The mentality of "not wanting to play one of your rivals because they may beat you" is part of the problem.  What kind of message is that to send to your alumni, boosters and recruits?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #615 on: December 13, 2020, 09:38:44 AM »
Put Texas, Nebraska and Michigan in a conference together and call it the “Remember When” league

Round it out with Penn State, Florida State and Virginia Tech...

• All American
« Reply #616 on: December 13, 2020, 09:54:03 AM »
LOL, prior to this year, Penn State has been in a "New Years Six" bowl three of the last four seasons.  Michigan two of the last four.

Just because Ohio State has become a dominant program, doesn't mean those programs have fallen off the face of the earth. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #617 on: December 13, 2020, 10:30:21 AM »
LOL, prior to this year, Penn State has been in a "New Years Six" bowl three of the last four seasons.  Michigan two of the last four.

Just because Ohio State has become a dominant program, doesn't mean those programs have fallen off the face of the earth.

"Remember when" doesn't have to mean they have fallen off the face of the earth; it can also mean they're decent, but not dominant like they once were. This is a program that used to have 10, 11 and 12-win seasons as a matter of routine. 9 wins was a bad season. And that was back when they were an independent, so they didn't have 12 or 13 games before they ever got to the bowls....

The last decade has seen Penn State miss bowls altogether 3 times (including this year), and lose in the TicketCity Bowl and the TaxSlayer Bowl. Add another decade and you see the same thing - a couple of big bowl (Rose, Orange) appearances, but a bunch of total misses or mid-level bowls.

Overall, that shows a picture of a pretty good P5 program...not the kind of dominant program they were in their pre Big Ten days. Remember when?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #618 on: December 13, 2020, 10:46:28 AM »

You’d think the alums and fan bases of said programs would be happy.  You’d be wrong

• All American
« Reply #619 on: December 13, 2020, 11:25:28 AM »
You’d think the alums and fan bases of said programs would be happy.  You’d be wrong

I don’t judge based on fanbases. I judge based on reality.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #620 on: December 13, 2020, 11:39:00 AM »
Lovie Smith is out at Illinois.

• All American
« Reply #621 on: December 13, 2020, 11:54:58 AM »

Going to be interesting to see where they go here. It’s not a great program by any means but really could use a fresh approach and has resources. Also being in the Big Ten West helps.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #622 on: December 13, 2020, 11:55:26 AM »

Just wasn’t cutting it and the 28-7 loss yesterday had to be the last straw.

Illinois is a good college in a good conference and should expect more than an occasional win against also-rans. Something needed to happen and the something was NOT the Love train.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #623 on: December 13, 2020, 11:57:47 AM »
Going to be interesting to see where they go here. It’s not a great program by any means but really could use a fresh approach and has resources. Also being in the Big Ten West helps.

Two intriguing names being thrown out as possibilities that would make sense from both sides are Bret Bielema and Lance Leipold.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #624 on: December 13, 2020, 12:27:31 PM »

Lance Leipold, Jeff Monken, Sean Lewis are a few of the early names. (Two of those have been interviewed at Vandy along with Clark Lea, Jamey Chadwell who took a raise and extension at Coastal Carolina. Will Healy, Jonathan Hayes and Charles Huff have also interviewed at Vandy)

With Leipold, Illinois AD Josh Whitman was at Wisconsin-Lacrosse and Washington University in St. Louis as Leipold was at U of Wisconsin-Whitewater.

I keep hearing Leipold, Monken, and Jay Norvell repeatedly for open positions.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 12:36:07 PM by shoothoops »

feedback