[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Nukem2
[April 19, 2024, 09:24:02 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 19, 2024, 08:17:02 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2020-21 College Football Thread  (Read 89760 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: 2020-21 College Football Thread
« Reply #75 on: August 11, 2020, 05:12:35 PM »
The logic of the Big 10 escapes me, so perhaps someone can explain.
They're allowing players to live on campus together, practice together and condition together, because they'll be safe in that self-contained "bubble."
But they can't go play another team that's also in a safe, self-contained "bubble."
If these circumstances are safe, why can't the players from Bubble A meet up with players from Bubble B without risking further spread? And if there's a risk of spread, why are they taking part in group activities at all?
It all seems contradictory to me, but perhaps I'm missing something. I'm not arguing for or against playing games, just trying to see through the apparent inconsistency of the league's stance.

It’s about protecting amateurism
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #76 on: August 11, 2020, 05:25:20 PM »
They're allowing players to live on campus together, practice together and condition together, because they'll be safe in that self-contained "bubble."
But they can't go play another team that's also in a safe, self-contained "bubble."
If these circumstances are safe, why can't the players from Bubble A meet up with players from Bubble B without risking further spread? And if there's a risk of spread, why are they taking part in group activities at all?
It all seems contradictory to me, but perhaps I'm missing something. I'm not arguing for or against playing games, just trying to see through the apparent inconsistency of the league's stance.

I think they have seen that the "lots of separate bubbles" approach has flaws. See, e.g., several Big Ten schools suspending practices due to outbreaks, the Miami Marlins, and the St. Louis 'will they ever play again' Cardinals. And there is a lot more direct contact in football than in baseball.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #77 on: August 11, 2020, 05:46:59 PM »

I think you make a good point here. But you also have to consider there are probably 150 people involved per team and there is no way to keep them all in the bubble all of the time.

But I don’t think they really know what else to do. Most experts expect Covid to get worse in the fall and our country has no one who will take charge to really deal with the outbreak. That isn’t going to change until at least January.

I see only a very small chance that there will be a college football season in the spring.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #78 on: August 11, 2020, 06:14:24 PM »

I think they have seen that the "lots of separate bubbles" approach has flaws. See, e.g., several Big Ten schools suspending practices due to outbreaks, the Miami Marlins, and the St. Louis 'will they ever play again' Cardinals. And there is a lot more direct contact in football than in baseball.

Right ... and yet they're allowing/requiring practices within these "bubbles." And while they're unpadded practices for now at least, there's still contact and players in close proximity.
I just find their position to be intellectually inconsistent. If their overreaching concern were health and safety of the players, there wouldn't be team activities any more than games.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #79 on: August 11, 2020, 06:20:58 PM »
My hope for this, and I know it is quixotic at best, is that this causes self examination and an epiphany that the lack of college football is ultimately the fault of those who have refused to do what it takes to control this.  I marvel at how many are still refusing to grow up and do the right thing.

To borrow and paraphrase from so many strict mother's, 'college football is a privilege, not a right.   And if you don't behave, you will be denied that privilege.'
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 07:36:02 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #80 on: August 11, 2020, 06:22:06 PM »
Right ... and yet they're allowing/requiring practices within these "bubbles." And while they're unpadded practices for now at least, there's still contact and players in close proximity.
I just find their position to be intellectually inconsistent. If their overreaching concern were health and safety of the players, there wouldn't be team activities any more than games.

The seasons for the B10 and Pac12 weren't even cancelled until this afternoon. If they continue requiring large-group practices and workouts over the next several weeks, you will have a valid question. For now, it seems a little early to draw conclusions on the 'intellectual consistency' of their actions.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #81 on: August 11, 2020, 06:24:44 PM »
My hope for this, and I know it is quixotic at best, is that this causes self examination and an epiphany that the lack of college football is ultimately the fault of those who have refused to do what it takes to control this.  I marvel at how many are still refusing to grow up and do the right thing.

Do borrow and paraphrase from so many strict mother's, 'college football is a privilege, not a right.   And if you don't behave, you will be denied that privilege.'

It is going to take a while - if ever - for that epiphany to occur. At it stands now, the season is still technically a 'go' in the places least equipped to handle a season.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2020, 06:45:48 PM »

I think the bottom line was what their lawyers told them about liability. I don't claim to know what it was, but....

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2020, 06:56:34 PM »
The seasons for the B10 and Pac12 weren't even cancelled until this afternoon. If they continue requiring large-group practices and workouts over the next several weeks, you will have a valid question. For now, it seems a little early to draw conclusions on the 'intellectual consistency' of their actions.

Because large group practices and workouts will be risky in mid-September but not mid-August?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2020, 09:24:25 PM »
Because large group practices and workouts will be risky in mid-September but not mid-August?

I won’t defend the actions of any college sports program practicing right now. I am simply trying to explain them. Frankly, I think the entire college football and basketball seasons should already have been canceled.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2020, 01:34:00 PM »
Let’s rewind. College sports’ governing body, the NCAA, and the members of the Power Five have had since March to cancel the college football season. Instead, they compelled thousands of players back on to campus for workouts over the spring and summer, exposing them to the threat of Covid-19, a virus that has to date killed more than 160,000 Americans and 730,000 people worldwide. Yet, despite numerous outbreaks of Covid-19 in football programs across the US, by early August, much of the Power Five remained committed to preserving the season. Until, this week, when suddenly they didn’t. While our understanding of the virus has not changed significantly over the past few weeks, one important variable has: football players across the nation have boldly mobilized for increased control over their working conditions.

https://sports.yahoo.com/cancelling-college-football-season-union-113456784.html

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2020, 01:52:51 PM »
Let’s rewind. College sports’ governing body, the NCAA, and the members of the Power Five have had since March to cancel the college football season. Instead, they compelled thousands of players back on to campus for workouts over the spring and summer, exposing them to the threat of Covid-19, a virus that has to date killed more than 160,000 Americans and 730,000 people worldwide. Yet, despite numerous outbreaks of Covid-19 in football programs across the US, by early August, much of the Power Five remained committed to preserving the season. Until, this week, when suddenly they didn’t. While our understanding of the virus has not changed significantly over the past few weeks, one important variable has: football players across the nation have boldly mobilized for increased control over their working conditions.

https://sports.yahoo.com/cancelling-college-football-season-union-113456784.html

Trevor Lawrence scared the crap out of them.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #88 on: August 13, 2020, 09:39:19 AM »
This could have long term recruiting benefits

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29641285/acc-sec-say-football-plans-remain-unchanged%3Fplatform%3Damp

Florida State University players and parents are tweeting about how the University isn't doing the testing they promised, that players are testing positive, and the coaching staff is telling them not to say anything.

It's going great.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #89 on: August 13, 2020, 09:40:48 AM »
Two days ago - Nebraska threatens to play a football season regardless of what the B10 decides.

Yesterday - Big Ten says "fine, but then you are leaving the conference."

Today - Nebraska says they are committed to the B10.

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2020, 07:35:10 PM »
Big Ten can play a full 13 game round robin schedule in the spring.

The Rose Bowl can be played on Memorial Day between the Big Ten and Pac 12 champion.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2020, 07:39:52 PM »

The Rose Bowl can be played on Memorial Day between the Big Ten and Pac 12 champion.

So say they play a full schedule and finish up on Memorial Day. Do they then begin fall practice in August and start the next season around Labor Day?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2020, 07:48:05 PM »

Sure, 13-14 games in the spring and another, what, 10-12 in the fall?
College kids playing 23+ games in 9 months.
But they canceled the season because they care so much about player safety.

There's no way they can play spring and fall seasons in 2021 and ever credibly claim to care about the players' well-being.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 07:54:01 PM by Pakuni »

• All American
« Reply #93 on: August 13, 2020, 08:06:32 PM »
Sure, 13-14 games in the spring and another, what, 10-12 in the fall?
College kids playing 23+ games in 9 months.
But they canceled the season because they care so much about player safety.

There's no way they can play spring and fall seasons in 2021 and ever credibly claim to care about the players' well-being.

Jeff Brohm has a plan that I think looks feasible.

https://twitter.com/swmckewonowh/status/1293892081803501568?s=21

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #94 on: August 13, 2020, 08:20:27 PM »

Sure they can, Jan

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #95 on: August 13, 2020, 09:19:57 PM »
Jeff Brohm has a plan that I think looks feasible.

https://twitter.com/swmckewonowh/status/1293892081803501568?s=21

Interesting effort, but this still has kids playing a minimum of 18 games in 9 months and potentially 22 in 10.5 months.

Though I do appreciate the fact that it eliminates any pretense that coaches care about education by essentially making the kids full-time athletes.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #96 on: August 14, 2020, 07:15:26 AM »
What not too many folks talk about is how at-risk a huge percentage of football players -- both pro and college -- are to COVID-19.

Linemen, especially (but not exclusively), are forced to bulk up to the point that they have BMIs well over 30. They are obese, and therefore at a very high risk for COVID-19. Many of them have asthma and/or sleep apnea.

I've long believed that what football demands from linemen is borderline criminal. Back in the 1980s, the Bears were fining the Fridge if he weighed more than 300 pounds; now they probably would fine him if he weighed less than 325. It's terrible.

In addition to demanding that they put themselves in position to contract a whole host of ailments, illnesses and permanent disabilities, football is now setting them up for COVID-19. Shameful.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

• All American
« Reply #97 on: August 14, 2020, 07:27:46 AM »
Interesting effort, but this still has kids playing a minimum of 18 games in 9 months and potentially 22 in 10.5 months.

Though I do appreciate the fact that it eliminates any pretense that coaches care about education by essentially making the kids full-time athletes.

I don't think those numbers of games in that timeframe is unreasonable. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #98 on: August 14, 2020, 09:07:54 AM »
What not too many folks talk about is how at-risk a huge percentage of football players -- both pro and college -- are to COVID-19.

Linemen, especially (but not exclusively), are forced to bulk up to the point that they have BMIs well over 30. They are obese, and therefore at a very high risk for COVID-19. Many of them have asthma and/or sleep apnea.

I've long believed that what football demands from linemen is borderline criminal. Back in the 1980s, the Bears were fining the Fridge if he weighed more than 300 pounds; now they probably would fine him if he weighed less than 325. It's terrible.

In addition to demanding that they put themselves in position to contract a whole host of ailments, illnesses and permanent disabilities, football is now setting them up for COVID-19. Shameful.

Not to completely dismiss the point, but BMI is horsesh*t, and especially worthless when talking about athletes.
According to BMI, a person like Brian Urlacher - who played at about 6'4", 255 - was obese. So is Mike Trout at 6'2", 235. Aaron Donald, who's a shredded 6'1", 284, is grossly obese according to BMI. LeBron James, at 6'9", 250, is merely overweight. Patrick Kane, at 5'10", 180, also is overweight according to BMI.
It's trash.

Obesity is for sure a co-morbidity for COVID, but you can't lump athletes in with the 50-year-old guy who's carrying an extra 35 pounds because he's sitting on the couch every night choking down IPAs and potato chips.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #99 on: August 14, 2020, 09:56:36 AM »
Not to completely dismiss the point, but BMI is horsesh*t, and especially worthless when talking about athletes.
According to BMI, a person like Brian Urlacher - who played at about 6'4", 255 - was obese. So is Mike Trout at 6'2", 235. Aaron Donald, who's a shredded 6'1", 284, is grossly obese according to BMI. LeBron James, at 6'9", 250, is merely overweight. Patrick Kane, at 5'10", 180, also is overweight according to BMI.
It's trash.

Obesity is for sure a co-morbidity for COVID, but you can't lump athletes in with the 50-year-old guy who's carrying an extra 35 pounds because he's sitting on the couch every night choking down IPAs and potato chips.

That’s a personal attack IMO 😂