[Today at 06:30:20 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Nukem2
[Today at 04:02:06 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: K-12 Schools & COVID  (Read 123677 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: K-12 School year?
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2020, 03:50:26 PM »
I have an 8th grader to be at a Catholic school.   They are planning on in-person classes this fall.   But they are also making contingency plans.   I doubt there will be scholastic sports at all this next year.

Travel baseball is in high gear.   I don't know what August will bring as many of the kids theoretically prepare for football.

I think the prudent thing to do is to be making two sets of plans.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2020, 03:51:41 PM »
Yeah, but that's not what you wrote. You wrote that parents who had concerns about their kids bringing home the virus should move out and set up a second home. Which is a bad idea for many reasons that have nothing to do with cost. Cost is just the icing on the bad cake.

A bunch of medical workers did this early on and there selflessness was praised and lauded on nightly newscasts over and over, rightfully so!

Again I didn’t say it’s be easy or ideal but it’s something to be considered.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2020, 03:53:58 PM »
There are more meetings for parents to attend next week where the district plans to share some of the safety measures they’ll be putting in place. 

They’ve already announced they opened up additional buildings across the district and will be turning them into classrooms to move 4K and kindergarten into those buildings.  With the freed up space in the main school buildings class sizes will be smaller to allow for more social distancing.

All kids and visitors will also have temp checks every morning before entering school.  If there is a sign of a fever they will not be allowed to enter and be sent home.   Nothing said about mask requirement at this point.

These are all great steps, and it looks though the district is taking things very seriously.  More seriously than you did in your original post in this topic.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2020, 03:55:38 PM »
A bunch of medical workers did this early on and there selflessness was praised and lauded on nightly newscasts over and over, rightfully so!

Again I didn’t say it’s be easy or ideal but it’s something to be considered.

One is life or death and the other is in-person school.  Quite the stretch.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2020, 03:59:15 PM »
One is life or death and the other is in-person school.  Quite the stretch.

Sure.  Up to the parent or parents to make that decision.

If for them the cons outweigh the pros, home school your kids while most everyone can go back to school.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2020, 03:59:26 PM »
Wait you’re joking right?  “As if having a child gives you some sort of insight into how to raise a child”.

Going back to my original post and what our district decided to do.  If you feel it’s best for your family situation to home school your kid that’s an option you’ll be able to do and that they fully support.

For the 95% of folks who filled out the survey saying they were comfortable sending their kids back for in person normal school schedule, they’ll also be able to do that.

There are more meetings for parents to attend next week where the district plans to share some of the safety measures they’ll be putting in place. 

They’ve already announced they opened up additional buildings across the district and will be turning them into classrooms to move 4K and kindergarten into those buildings.  With the freed up space in the main school buildings class sizes will be smaller to allow for more social distancing.

All kids and visitors will also have temp checks every morning before entering school.  If there is a sign of a fever they will not be allowed to enter and be sent home.   Nothing said about mask requirement at this point.

Of course I'm not joking.  You asked for examples, you got them, and now they're not good enough.   ::) ::) ::)

And so you were being disingenuous from the start.  I said I'd be okay with school if there were certain guarantees. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2020, 04:02:00 PM »
Sure.  Up to the parent or parents to make that decision.

If for them the cons outweigh the pros, home school your kids while most everyone can go back to school.

Who will be teaching these kids?  As if districts aren't having problems staffing schools already.  Now its okay to make class sizes smaller?  Talk about spitting in the faces of teachers everywhere.

I wonder if we will be giving our educators hazard pay.  Since we've now decided they are essential.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2020, 07:33:08 PM »
Who will be teaching these kids?  As if districts aren't having problems staffing schools already.  Now its okay to make class sizes smaller?  Talk about spitting in the faces of teachers everywhere.

I wonder if we will be giving our educators hazard pay.  Since we've now decided they are essential.

No, we'll make it just like their school equipment and make themsl source and buy their own PPE

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2020, 08:23:28 PM »
Of course I'm not joking.  You asked for examples, you got them, and now they're not good enough.   ::) ::) ::)

And so you were being disingenuous from the start.  I said I'd be okay with school if there were certain guarantees.

You google searched recommendations were just fine.  I was asking about if you were joking about your idea that you don’t have to have kids to know how to raise kids.  I used to think that same thing....til I had kids.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2020, 08:26:33 PM »

And not just the teachers, but the lower-paid workers like bus drivers, paraprofessionals and teacher aides, cafeteria workers, custodial staff and such. They are just as necessary and equally at risk, but with far less compensation.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2020, 08:30:12 PM »

I can only speak to my own conversations and the teachers in my kids school that I’ve come to know over the years.  Let’s just say they don’t share your same concern for being back in the classroom. 

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2020, 08:32:53 PM »

And not just the teachers, but the lower-paid workers like bus drivers, paraprofessionals and teacher aides, cafeteria workers, custodial staff and such. They are just as necessary and equally at risk, but with far less compensation.

Surprised you’re not sharing these same concerns and demands of hazard pay for the Home Depot staff, barbers, or hell any of the other thousands of professions that are back to work.

Aside from bars and restaurants folks are back to work.  Not sure why teachers, custodians, etc should be treated any differently. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2020, 09:05:25 PM »
You google searched recommendations were just fine.  I was asking about if you were joking about your idea that you don’t have to have kids to know how to raise kids.  I used to think that same thing....til I had kids.

I know plenty of people who have kids who don't know how to raise them.  Plus, I know plenty of people who would make fantastic parents, but aren't able to.

One does not follow the other here.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2020, 09:23:00 PM »
Copied from a Facebook post. ‘Merica.

“So if you didn’t catch this mornings crapshow, it went basically like this:

The CDC put out its official recommendations and requirements states should meet before reopening schools.

Trump went to twitter, crapted on the CDC recommendations, demanding that k-12 schools fully open up in the fall.  He threatened to cut federal funding if they do not. 

Then the coronavirus task force held a press conference, minus Fauci, because he’s on the President’s crap list.

Betsy Devos said she really really really wants kids back in school.  She does not know how to do this, offered no suggestions.  Just that they need to open, and leaves it up to local officials to figure it out.

Vice President Pence said children are resilient.  Basically made out of cartilage with healthy lungs.  They probably won’t get sick, so we shouldn’t worry about them.  There is also no disagreement between the CDC and Trump.  Trump wants schools to open, and just doesn’t want the CDC’s guidelines to be the reason for schools not opening?

Yes, he actually said he doesn’t want states to keep their schools closed just because their own CDC says it is not safe to open.

So the VP says, don’t worry, let’s bring up the Director of the CDC to clarify.  -And I could‘ve sworn I heard this guy gulp off camera.

But the director of the CDC comes up and says he also wants schools to open safely.  He said he likes his job and wants to keep it, therefore, he is also in full agreement with Trump, despite the guidelines they released hours before.

So then Dr. Birx comes on and says half the country has seen a surge of new cases.  The country is worse off than it was back at the start of all this.  She said they should return to phase 1 and start all over. 

Now, an astute reader may wonder how do half the states return to phase 1, and still expect to open by fall?  Good question.   .....  And while you were thinking about it, Birx tries to leave the podium.

But before she gets away, Pence stops her, suggests she ‘talk about that other thing about the children’.  She hesitates, then agrees.

She comes back up to the mic, says most children probably won’t die.  Maybe 0.02%.  And usually the ones who die were already sick, so you parents at home may want to keep an eye on them.  Oh- and we have virtually no data on how transmissible the virus is in children because we’ve barely tested any of them, but let me get out of your hair. 

Pence comes back and says, see, we’re good here.

————————-

So while all that is going Cuomo is holding his own press conference.

He says I don’t even give a crap what Trump is saying.  It’s not worth responding to the clown.  States control school openings, and we will do it as safely as possible, end of discussion.

Other states blew off our warnings, and now they are paying the price.  You want to fix your states?  Pull your heads out of your asses and follow our example.

—————————

And Fauci has gone total rogue.  He has been giving interviews across the media spectrum, politely telling anyone who will listen that following trump’s orders regarding the Coronavirus will lead to certain doom.  Death and economic disaster on a scale never seen before.  Please turn back while you still can.

And now you are filled in.“
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2020, 09:37:38 PM »
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1280543238181576704.html

A Thread: America's teachers have a lot of questions regarding the push to reopen schools. Take our questions seriously, and do not try to shame to guilt us into compliance. Know that we WANT to be back in our classrooms with our students, but do not expect us to be martyrs. 1/20

Desks 6 ft apart (in some states 3 ft...what?!?) Many classrooms do not have desks, but have 5-6 tables where students sit shoulder to shoulder. How are we supposed to spread students out? Is someone buying desks? With what money? Schools are facing budget cuts & layoffs. 2/20

Students cannot share materials. Most of the materials in classrooms have been purchased BY teachers. If students cannot share, and students need their own personal sets of materials, who is purchasing these supplies? (again... with slashed budgets) 3/20

Teachers have to beg for donations of Clorox wipes and tissues from their families and friends to support cold/flu season. Who is providing ALL of the new disinfectant materials for classrooms? Are teachers expected to do the cleaning? Will they receive hazard pay? 4/20

Who is paying for masks and required PPE for teachers? Who is ensuring that these remain stocked? Will students be provided masks? What if they come to school without one, or refuse to wear one? What about our youngest students who can't put them on themselves? 5/20

We are laying off staff, but are in need of more teachers to comply with smaller class sizes. Our classrooms are currently filled to the brim & teachers are working out of modified closets. How are we paying for space & funds for these additional classrooms and teachers? 6/20

School buildings have been deteriorating for years. Many classrooms do not have AC or windows that open (if they have windows at all). How are we ensuring proper air ventilation in these spaces. 7/20

Why are teachers being left out of conversations? Why were questionnaires sent to families & not teachers? Why are people making the decisions not asking teachers if those decisions are actually feasible in a classroom setting? Why are we not at the table? 8/20

Also, why are school boards meeting virtually to discuss opening schools in person? 🧐 9/20

If families are given a choice between remote vs. in person learning, will teachers? Will immunocompromised teachers get priority? What about those caring for immunocompromised or elderly family at home? Will teachers be forced to choose between their jobs and their lives? 10/10

If teachers are forced to quarantine, will that come out of their sick pay? What if they have to quarantine multiple times? Many have 10 days or less of sick time (especially new teachers). What if we just have a cold (schools are germ factories). Can we not come to work? 11/20

If we run out of sick days, will we stop getting paid? What if we have to care for a sick family member? What if our own child's school closes or they have to be quarantined, and we have to stay home? Will we lose our health insurance while being sick? 12/20

If we are burning through sick days, where are we getting subs? There have been sub shortages for years, most include retired teachers who are at risk. What happens when we are inevitably "out of teachers". How are expected to keep up with 2 weeks of sub plans at a time? 13/20

Students are hopefully not being penalized for attendance. Will teachers? Will teachers continue to be evaluated this year? Will teacher "efficiency" be linked to state tests that are holding students to arbitrary grade level expectations they cannot meet right now? 14/20

If we are in the classroom full time, how are we expected to console a crying child from 6 feet away? What if our students can't tie their shoes or button their pants? What about when students fall and get hurt? How do we help them from 6 feet away? 15/20

If cohorts have to be kept together to limit interactions, how are students receiving required services? Are those teachers coming into classrooms (contaminating each room) or are students leaving the classroom, going against "least restrictive environment" requirements 16/20

If we move to a hybrid model, how will teachers be expected to teach full time in the classroom AND plan for remote learning. We cannot be in two places at the same time. If we are 1week on/1 week off, what happens if our own children have different schedules? 17/20

If we move to any form of remote learning, how will we ensure equitable access for our students? What plans will be put in place to focus on the emotional wellbeing of our students? How will we support our most vulnerable populations in the process? 18/20

Why are people using the "children are less likely to spread the virus" as a backbone of arguments, dismissing the fact that hundreds of adults ALSO work in schools? Why are teachers and school staff being discussed as if they are expendable? Why is nobody listening? 19/20

Teachers: be asking these questions. Non-teachers: be asking these questions. There is no GOOD solution here, but forcing people into an unsafe workplace and ask them to continuously do more with less is NOT okay. 20/20

I'm going to go ahead and guess you didn't talk to any actual teachers Pace... because the ones I know (including family members) feel a lot more like this fine woman.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2020, 09:48:40 PM »
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1280543238181576704.html

A Thread: America's teachers have a lot of questions regarding the push to reopen schools. Take our questions seriously, and do not try to shame to guilt us into compliance. Know that we WANT to be back in our classrooms with our students, but do not expect us to be martyrs. 1/20

Desks 6 ft apart (in some states 3 ft...what?!?) Many classrooms do not have desks, but have 5-6 tables where students sit shoulder to shoulder. How are we supposed to spread students out? Is someone buying desks? With what money? Schools are facing budget cuts & layoffs. 2/20

Students cannot share materials. Most of the materials in classrooms have been purchased BY teachers. If students cannot share, and students need their own personal sets of materials, who is purchasing these supplies? (again... with slashed budgets) 3/20

Teachers have to beg for donations of Clorox wipes and tissues from their families and friends to support cold/flu season. Who is providing ALL of the new disinfectant materials for classrooms? Are teachers expected to do the cleaning? Will they receive hazard pay? 4/20

Who is paying for masks and required PPE for teachers? Who is ensuring that these remain stocked? Will students be provided masks? What if they come to school without one, or refuse to wear one? What about our youngest students who can't put them on themselves? 5/20

We are laying off staff, but are in need of more teachers to comply with smaller class sizes. Our classrooms are currently filled to the brim & teachers are working out of modified closets. How are we paying for space & funds for these additional classrooms and teachers? 6/20

School buildings have been deteriorating for years. Many classrooms do not have AC or windows that open (if they have windows at all). How are we ensuring proper air ventilation in these spaces. 7/20

Why are teachers being left out of conversations? Why were questionnaires sent to families & not teachers? Why are people making the decisions not asking teachers if those decisions are actually feasible in a classroom setting? Why are we not at the table? 8/20

Also, why are school boards meeting virtually to discuss opening schools in person? 🧐 9/20

If families are given a choice between remote vs. in person learning, will teachers? Will immunocompromised teachers get priority? What about those caring for immunocompromised or elderly family at home? Will teachers be forced to choose between their jobs and their lives? 10/10

If teachers are forced to quarantine, will that come out of their sick pay? What if they have to quarantine multiple times? Many have 10 days or less of sick time (especially new teachers). What if we just have a cold (schools are germ factories). Can we not come to work? 11/20

If we run out of sick days, will we stop getting paid? What if we have to care for a sick family member? What if our own child's school closes or they have to be quarantined, and we have to stay home? Will we lose our health insurance while being sick? 12/20

If we are burning through sick days, where are we getting subs? There have been sub shortages for years, most include retired teachers who are at risk. What happens when we are inevitably "out of teachers". How are expected to keep up with 2 weeks of sub plans at a time? 13/20

Students are hopefully not being penalized for attendance. Will teachers? Will teachers continue to be evaluated this year? Will teacher "efficiency" be linked to state tests that are holding students to arbitrary grade level expectations they cannot meet right now? 14/20

If we are in the classroom full time, how are we expected to console a crying child from 6 feet away? What if our students can't tie their shoes or button their pants? What about when students fall and get hurt? How do we help them from 6 feet away? 15/20

If cohorts have to be kept together to limit interactions, how are students receiving required services? Are those teachers coming into classrooms (contaminating each room) or are students leaving the classroom, going against "least restrictive environment" requirements 16/20

If we move to a hybrid model, how will teachers be expected to teach full time in the classroom AND plan for remote learning. We cannot be in two places at the same time. If we are 1week on/1 week off, what happens if our own children have different schedules? 17/20

If we move to any form of remote learning, how will we ensure equitable access for our students? What plans will be put in place to focus on the emotional wellbeing of our students? How will we support our most vulnerable populations in the process? 18/20

Why are people using the "children are less likely to spread the virus" as a backbone of arguments, dismissing the fact that hundreds of adults ALSO work in schools? Why are teachers and school staff being discussed as if they are expendable? Why is nobody listening? 19/20

Teachers: be asking these questions. Non-teachers: be asking these questions. There is no GOOD solution here, but forcing people into an unsafe workplace and ask them to continuously do more with less is NOT okay. 20/20

I'm going to go ahead and guess you didn't talk to any actual teachers Pace... because the ones I know (including family members) feel a lot more like this fine woman.

Again, I suggest you get out of the bubble you’re in.  It seems like a deep deep dark spot and not healthy at all.

Every adult with a job is being forced back into a work space that guarantees absolutely nothing when it comes to getting or not getting the virus.  If this teacher or any other teacher is uncomfortable with the safety measures in place at their school it’d be perfectly understandable for them to take the year off.  There’s no shame in that. 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2020, 09:50:21 PM »
Hards, great list.

Also, there are so many practical reasons schools will need to be closed. Mostly regarding quarantine. What happens when a student tests positive? The entire class and teacher go into quarantine for 2-weeks? Under such conditions, how long until all classes are in quarantine and everything is back online?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2020, 09:53:22 PM »
Again, I suggest you get out of the bubble you’re in.  It seems like a deep deep dark spot and not healthy at all.

Every adult with a job is being forced back into a work space that guarantees absolutely nothing when it comes to getting or not getting the virus.  If this teacher or any other teacher is uncomfortable with the safety measures in place at their school it’d be perfectly understandable for them to take the year off.  There’s no shame in that.

Every adult? Forced back into work spaces? Yeah, not really.

The good news is teachers are paid so well they definitely have the luxury of having the financial means to go unpaid for a year.   :o
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2020, 09:54:20 PM »

But as many of you already said, if you are a young healthy child you will be just fine.

Hey Doc, how are you so sure?

Also out of interest - what state are you in?

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2020, 09:57:43 PM »
Hards, great list.

Also, there are so many practical reasons schools will need to be closed. Mostly regarding quarantine. What happens when a student tests positive? The entire class and teacher go into quarantine for 2-weeks? Under such conditions, how long until all classes are in quarantine and everything is back online?

I’m not even sure why I’m entertaining this lunacy.  Thread started asking about what their kids school districts are doing.  Thankfully mine will be back in session and I hope for the sake of every communities kids yours are all the same.

I’ll see myself out now.  Forgetful, Hards, Goooo, etc etc enjoy going back to posting on here telling each other how dumb everyone is besides you and the few other posters on here who just repeat the same crap back and forth to each other.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2020, 09:58:23 PM »

Why does it matter

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2020, 09:59:26 PM »

look at the data Gyros

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2020, 10:02:53 PM »
Surprised you’re not sharing these same concerns and demands of hazard pay for the Home Depot staff, barbers, or hell any of the other thousands of professions that are back to work.

Aside from bars and restaurants folks are back to work.  Not sure why teachers, custodians, etc should be treated any differently.

I never said they should be treated differently. You just assumed that.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 10:04:42 PM by GooooMarquette »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2020, 10:04:22 PM »
I’m not even sure why I’m entertaining this lunacy.  Thread started asking about what their kids school districts are doing.  Thankfully mine will be back in session and I hope for the sake of every communities kids yours are all the same.

I’ll see myself out now.  Forgetful, Hards, Goooo, etc etc enjoy going back to posting on here telling each other how dumb everyone is besides you and the few other posters on here who just repeat the same crap back and forth to each other.

You are the only one ranting about how dumb everybody else is. Have a good night.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2020, 10:19:54 PM »
This is another way that the pandemic hits the poor.

Sure kids should be in school. Very few of them live in multi generational households so their families aren’t at a great deal of risk. But In general they’re not at such a great risk scholastically - many have reading and math skill above grade levels. And virtually all of them have access to a computer for online classes.

Inner city kids already behind grade level in reading and math without computers will fall further behind. But if they go back to the classroom there is a much better chance they will bring Covid home to people at greater risk.

feedback