[April 22, 2024, 08:17:35 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: K-12 Schools & COVID  (Read 123648 times)

injuryBug

• Team Captain
Re: K-12 School year?
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2020, 12:15:36 PM »
How do we achieve it? We already actively are getting closer.

The original stay at home order (Which has now been blown in politics...) real reason is missed by many individuals. Health officals knew we weren't going to conquer it by staying home, that wasn't realistic. It was to slow the tide and not overwhelm our medical facilities. Now that we have a steady supply chain and increased care its time to let COVID burn through.

Those who are vulnerable should continue to stay home. As they always should have. However the rest of the world needs to get back to life. I understand the 86 year old hunkering down, I understand the kidney transplant recipient on immunosuppressants hunkering down, I don't understand the perfectly healthy 30 year olds and 15 year olds hunkering down.

As for ideas like children wearing masks. Do we realistically expect an 8 year old to practice social distancing, and proper hygiene throughout the day?

My wife is an elementary school teacher she does not think those kids should wear a mask not a chance they will keep it on and most of the masks will be covered in snot.

Completely agree with what you are saying

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2020, 12:33:05 PM »
My wife is an elementary school teacher she does not think those kids should wear a mask not a chance they will keep it on and most of the masks will be covered in snot.

Completely agree with what you are saying

That's funny. My wife is an elementary school teacher and thinks keeping masks on her kids won't be a problem at all. Middle schoolers might be an issue because they're obnoxious, but the younger kids will roll with it just fine.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2020, 12:36:44 PM »
That's funny. My wife is an elementary school teacher and thinks keeping masks on her kids won't be a problem at all. Middle schoolers might be an issue because they're obnoxious, but the younger kids will roll with it just fine.

I agree with this, I took my six year old to get a haircut last week, and he kept his mask on almost religiously the entire time.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2020, 12:37:18 PM »
I will begin by saying I don't have kids in school anymore, so you can stop reading now if you like.

If you're still reading, I sympathize greatly with those of you dealing with restless kids who miss their friends and teachers, and who will almost certainly learn better in person. And I worry about very real mental health issues stemming from the uncertainty and isolation.

That said, I can't imagine how we can allow schools to reopen without an explosion in new cases. We are already seeing healthcare systems in several states stretched to the limits, with numbers still increasing. And as a couple already mentioned, kids may not keep masks on for extended periods of time, which would make a school an ideal breeding ground for an outbreak.

It's a difficult choice, but the virus doesn't care. If it was me, I would keep my kids home.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2020, 12:45:21 PM »
Hards as someone with 4 kids 2 middle school aged and 2 HS aged kids need school kids need their friends.  Mom and dad are great for stretches of times but read my post above.  My to be senior has had a hell of a time adjusting to life without socializing and he typically is one that sits at home and does not go out much.  But he is involved in sports year round and the time with teammates and friends cannot be duplicated.  I think it is more the kids are sick of us than we are sick of them. The kids will be safe with covid, if a person (kid or family) has some condition that makes it unsafe then schools need to find a way to help those kids learn. 
If you had kids and saw them depressed for 3 months cause of covid and then saw them suddenly back to normal cause they are able to hang with their friends and do normal things then you would be all in with sending them to school.

Sorry to hear that your child won't be having the fun senior year that they were hoping for.  But let me dispel a myth here.  There is NO evidence that children won't have long term effects from getting covid.

I see plenty of ADULTS who have been depressed for 3 months, but that is just how life works.  I'm sorry, but you're emotionally involved so you are more likely to be irrational about this.  What is the plan when we send kids back to school?  Just say screw it and let it all happen?  Enjoy your teacher's strike!  We pay them peanuts, and now you expect them to put themselves at more risk than they already do?  I saw your post above, and allowing your children to run around since June is why we are where we are today.  They are socializing already, and they're upset?  So, it isn't the social aspect they're missing.  The prospect of missing out on high school sports?  Sorry, we all make sacrifices every day.  This should be a teaching moment where you give your children perspective. 

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2020, 12:46:13 PM »
The argument that kids wouldn't wear masks gets weaker the longer this goes on.  Every single person on the planet over the age of 4 either understands how serious a situation this is, or is willfully ignorant.  The more the importance of masks gets pushed and the more mask shaming that happens the easier it will be to convince kids younger and younger that they are needed.  As much as some people make the ridiculous argument about it effecting their ability to breath, even more people are using them as another means for self expression.  Throw Elmo or Elsa on those things, and kids would be showing off their willingness to wear masks. 

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2020, 01:03:31 PM »
Our school district has already announced they are going back to school in the fall with normal 5 day a week face to face learning.  The results of the survey sent a couple weeks ago was over 95% in favor of that.

The very very very, obnoxiously very vocal few posters on here who are straight doom and gloom are thankfully few and far between outside of the scoop world.

The district is allowing for folks like that to opt out and participate in a ramped up e-learning program and they can readdress their family situation every trimester. 

There are legitimate medical reasons for kids who are battling heartbreaking illnesses who should not put themselves at increased risk by attending school and I hate that they have to go through that isolation on top of everything else they’re battling, not fair at all.   But as many of you already said, if you are a young healthy child you will be just fine.

If you are a high risk parent and are concerned about having your kids bring the virus home.  I would suggest putting your kids development and needs first and allow them to get back with their buddies at school and possibly think about finding a short term rental/extended stay hotel to protect yourself.  None of the scenarios are great and require sacrifice from someone but as a parent I put the needs of my kids first and foremost and I believe it’s best for them to be back in school.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2020, 01:07:52 PM »
Just to add some information to the discussion, an article about economic challenges schools will face if they open for in-person classes this fall:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/09/us/schools-reopen-fall.html?action=click&module=RelatedLinks&pgtype=Article

The federal relief package passed in March dedicated $13.5 billion to K-12 education — less than 1 percent of the total stimulus. But education groups estimate that schools will need many times that, and with many local and state budgets already depleted by the economic impact of the coronavirus, it is unclear where it will come from.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2020, 01:12:11 PM »
Our school district has already announced they are going back to school in the fall with normal 5 day a week face to face learning.  The results of the survey sent a couple weeks ago was over 95% in favor of that.

The very very very, obnoxiously very vocal few posters on here who are straight doom and gloom are thankfully few and far between outside of the scoop world.

The district is allowing for folks like that to opt out and participate in a ramped up e-learning program and they can readdress their family situation every trimester. 

There are legitimate medical reasons for kids who are battling heartbreaking illnesses who should not put themselves at increased risk by attending school and I hate that they have to go through that isolation on top of everything else they’re battling, not fair at all.   But as many of you already said, if you are a young healthy child you will be just fine.

If you are a high risk parent and are concerned about having your kids bring the virus home.  I would suggest putting your kids development and needs first and allow them to get back with their buddies at school and possibly think about finding a short term rental/extended stay hotel to protect yourself.  None of the scenarios are great and require sacrifice from someone but as a parent I put the needs of my kids first and foremost and I believe it’s best for them to be back in school.

LMFAO.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2020, 01:16:57 PM »
How do we achieve it? We already actively are getting closer.

The original stay at home order (Which has now been blown in politics...) real reason is missed by many individuals. Health officals knew we weren't going to conquer it by staying home, that wasn't realistic. It was to slow the tide and not overwhelm our medical facilities. Now that we have a steady supply chain and increased care its time to let COVID burn through.

Those who are vulnerable should continue to stay home. As they always should have. However the rest of the world needs to get back to life. I understand the 86 year old hunkering down, I understand the kidney transplant recipient on immunosuppressants hunkering down, I don't understand the perfectly healthy 30 year olds and 15 year olds hunkering down.

As for ideas like children wearing masks. Do we realistically expect an 8 year old to practice social distancing, and proper hygiene throughout the day?

Most of Europe and much of Asia and Oceania disagree with your statement.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2020, 01:23:09 PM »
If you are a high risk parent and are concerned about having your kids bring the virus home.  I would suggest putting your kids development and needs first and allow them to get back with their buddies at school and possibly think about finding a short term rental/extended stay hotel to protect yourself. 

Simple and cost effective!

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2020, 01:37:17 PM »

It must be so nice to both be blissfully unaware of what is going on right now, and so financially secure that renting another household is just passed off as thoughtful advice.  I guess a single parent should just hire a full time caregiver too.

I mean I think schools should default to opening up with in-person instruction.  But to act like it is it is no big deal, and there isn't a lot of risk here, is mind boggingly out of touch.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2020, 01:48:50 PM »
Sorry to hear that your child won't be having the fun senior year that they were hoping for.  But let me dispel a myth here.  There is NO evidence that children won't have long term effects from getting covid.

I see plenty of ADULTS who have been depressed for 3 months, but that is just how life works.  I'm sorry, but you're emotionally involved so you are more likely to be irrational about this.  What is the plan when we send kids back to school?  Just say screw it and let it all happen?  Enjoy your teacher's strike!  We pay them peanuts, and now you expect them to put themselves at more risk than they already do?  I saw your post above, and allowing your children to run around since June is why we are where we are today.  They are socializing already, and they're upset?  So, it isn't the social aspect they're missing.  The prospect of missing out on high school sports?  Sorry, we all make sacrifices every day.  This should be a teaching moment where you give your children perspective.

Thanks for the parenting advice.  Yes we do make sacrifices everyday and my family has made plenty.  Sorry I am not going to sit in my house until I get a vaccine but we are doing things safely here. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2020, 01:54:12 PM »
Thanks for the parenting advice.  Yes we do make sacrifices everyday and my family has made plenty.  Sorry I am not going to sit in my house until I get a vaccine but we are doing things safely here.

You're letting your children run around with others for the last month, by your own admission.  I'm sorry to be the one to tell you that is irresponsible.  And your kids are picking up on it, I promise. 

I didn't say you had to sit in your house, and I certainly haven't.  There are plenty of ways to enjoy the world around you without being reckless.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2020, 01:59:37 PM »
You're letting your children run around with others for the last month, by your own admission.  I'm sorry to be the one to tell you that is irresponsible.  And your kids are picking up on it, I promise. 

I didn't say you had to sit in your house, and I certainly haven't.  There are plenty of ways to enjoy the world around you without being reckless.

This is what I think a few people are missing.  Even regarding schools, there are ways to continue educating, allow socializing and still be as safe as possible.  Toppers outside idea (although would vary regionally), Sultan's alternating schedule etc.  Schools will most likely return in the fall, but they will 100% NOT be back to pre-Covid normal.  The people that are accusing others of being extreme seem to think that these are the only two ways to do so.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2020, 02:17:39 PM »

Says the guy with no kids.  How do you suggest kids enjoy their summer then?

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2020, 02:20:35 PM »

It must be so nice to both be blissfully unaware of what is going on right now, and so financially secure that renting another household is just passed off as thoughtful advice.  I guess a single parent should just hire a full time caregiver too.

I mean I think schools should default to opening up with in-person instruction.  But to act like it is it is no big deal, and there isn't a lot of risk here, is mind boggingly out of touch.

Or maybe you, outside your bubble of doom and gloom, are the one who is out of touch. 

For our district if you’re a single parent and those scenarios are not feasible then the option of e-learning is there for you.  I was really happy with the solution and package they came up with.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2020, 02:23:38 PM »
Simple and cost effective!

I didn’t say it was simple, easy, or cost effective.  But for me the alternative of shutting schools for the fall is more complicated, difficult, and unfair to kids.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2020, 02:25:43 PM »
I will begin by saying I don't have kids in school anymore, so you can stop reading now if you like.

If you're still reading, I sympathize greatly with those of you dealing with restless kids who miss their friends and teachers, and who will almost certainly learn better in person. And I worry about very real mental health issues stemming from the uncertainty and isolation.

That said, I can't imagine how we can allow schools to reopen without an explosion in new cases. We are already seeing healthcare systems in several states stretched to the limits, with numbers still increasing. And as a couple already mentioned, kids may not keep masks on for extended periods of time, which would make a school an ideal breeding ground for an outbreak.

It's a difficult choice, but the virus doesn't care. If it was me, I would keep my kids home.

This is where my wife and I are on the spectrum. And there are other considerations: I want my kids to see their grandparents and great-grandparents who are vulnerable. Our circle is airtight. The second they go to school or daycare, that's gone, and it's gone until this thing is over.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2020, 02:27:43 PM »
Or maybe you, outside your bubble of doom and gloom, are the one who is out of touch. 

Yeah I don't think so.  Just look around.  Large crowds gathering indoors is now this thing spreads.

Is your district requiring mitigation like masking...distancing...tracing, etc?  With a pivot to online learning when larger outbreaks occur?  That's the only way it will work.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2020, 02:42:11 PM »
I didn’t say it was simple, easy, or cost effective.  But for me the alternative of shutting schools for the fall is more complicated, difficult, and unfair to kids.

Yeah, but that's not what you wrote. You wrote that parents who had concerns about their kids bringing home the virus should move out and set up a second home. Which is a bad idea for many reasons that have nothing to do with cost. Cost is just the icing on the bad cake.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2020, 02:44:19 PM »
Says the guy with no kids.  How do you suggest kids enjoy their summer then?

- Go on a family road trip
- Hike in a state park
- Ride a bike
- Play video games
- Learn to cook
- Watch videos, and do science experiments

There are hundreds of ideas out there if you BOTHERED to even look.  But its easier to complain. 

https://rochester.kidsoutandabout.com/content/250-creative-ways-keep-your-family-sane-during-covid-19-crisis

Look, I did this all without having a child of my own!  As if having a child gives you some sort of insight into how to raise one.  LOL.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2020, 02:48:52 PM »

If you are a high risk parent and are concerned about having your kids bring the virus home.  I would suggest putting your kids development and needs first and allow them to get back with their buddies at school and possibly think about finding a short term rental/extended stay hotel to protect yourself. 

Cool. You can put the kid in foster care.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2020, 03:41:58 PM »
Cool. You can put the kid in foster care.

Not sure what you’re referring too there....I’m suggesting the option of what a lot of medical workers did during the early days of the pandemic.  If they lived under the same roof of someone who is considered high risk a lot of them stayed with other friends, family, or yes even possibly rented a RV or an apartment for a couple months.

Somehow they managers to do this without sending their kids into foster care.

What a moronic thing to say.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2020, 03:49:05 PM »
- Go on a family road trip
- Hike in a state park
- Ride a bike
- Play video games
- Learn to cook
- Watch videos, and do science experiments

There are hundreds of ideas out there if you BOTHERED to even look.  But its easier to complain. 

https://rochester.kidsoutandabout.com/content/250-creative-ways-keep-your-family-sane-during-covid-19-crisis

Look, I did this all without having a child of my own!  As if having a child gives you some sort of insight into how to raise one.  LOL.

Wait you’re joking right?  “As if having a child gives you some sort of insight into how to raise a child”.

Going back to my original post and what our district decided to do.  If you feel it’s best for your family situation to home school your kid that’s an option you’ll be able to do and that they fully support.

For the 95% of folks who filled out the survey saying they were comfortable sending their kids back for in person normal school schedule, they’ll also be able to do that.

There are more meetings for parents to attend next week where the district plans to share some of the safety measures they’ll be putting in place. 

They’ve already announced they opened up additional buildings across the district and will be turning them into classrooms to move 4K and kindergarten into those buildings.  With the freed up space in the main school buildings class sizes will be smaller to allow for more social distancing.

All kids and visitors will also have temp checks every morning before entering school.  If there is a sign of a fever they will not be allowed to enter and be sent home.   Nothing said about mask requirement at this point.