[Today at 12:21:27 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Masks  (Read 180752 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Masks
« Reply #1675 on: October 18, 2021, 12:43:36 PM »
I refer to my chiropractor and dentist as 'Doc.'    The weather is warm, and yet we have a veritable blizzard of snowflakes today.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1676 on: October 18, 2021, 12:46:11 PM »
I would just like mugs to clarify if we can call a DDS a Dr, or is it reserved for MDs?  ;D

Dude, let's kall a tuba playa, a tuba playa. Lotsa frustrated doctors on dis bored, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1677 on: October 18, 2021, 01:08:42 PM »
I would just like mugs to clarify if we can call a DDS a Dr, or is it reserved for MDs?  ;D

I never call my dentist, Dr.  They haven’t earned that title. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1678 on: October 18, 2021, 01:10:14 PM »

I call my dentist doctor Rocky.  Let's not compare Dr.Jill to my outstanding dentist who is extremely gifted and talented in a variety of fields.  She's also a businesswoman and artist.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1679 on: October 18, 2021, 01:33:37 PM »
I call my dentist doctor Rocky.  Let's not compare Dr.Jill to my outstanding dentist who is extremely gifted and talented in a variety of fields.  She's also a businesswoman and artist.

Pharmacist? Psychologist? I'm waiting for definitive parameters on how involved in medicine they have to be and in what positions to have earned this right because as it is you seem to be making arbitrary rules for who is and isnt
Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1680 on: October 18, 2021, 01:45:45 PM »
Since Dr is now arbitrary I'm just gonna call my NP or PA a doctor now and call my radiologist by their first name. Screw it maybe I'll call my RN doctor as well
Maigh Eo for Sam

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1681 on: October 18, 2021, 01:47:29 PM »
Yes, I agree with your points regarding reviewing her dissertation and questioning the validity of her degree. To me though, it was up to U of Delaware to decide whether or not it met their standards and whether awarding her a doctorate cheapened the accomplishment as a whole.

In a similar light, does awarding MPS grads a diploma who can barely write a paper cheapen the degree of someone who graduates from say Homestead? Does university of Phoenix online BA/BS cheapen the degree of IVY league grads?

The point I'm making is I don't think it necessarily cheapens the title of Dr or any Medical or non Medical carrier of that title. What it does is cheapen the degrees of any University of Delaware grads who genuinely worked hard to receive their degree.

I think people get degrees for all sorts of reasons and she wouldn't be the first or the last to do it purely for title and you aren't the first or last to drop the Dr when not needed.

i guess, getting a degree or a diploma is a baseline.  after that, the free market usually decides.  we can all show a piece of paper, but when the rubber hits the road, is the person qualified for fill in the blank position.  for us, first or last in the class, we  get tested with every patient we see.

btw, guys like rico get a little letter telling them to go somewhere else. 

let me get this straight...rico sees a dentist or denturist or whatever whom he doesn't think is qualified?  sounds about right.  surprised you still have any teeth left?
don't...don't don't don't don't

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1682 on: October 18, 2021, 01:58:35 PM »
i guess, getting a degree or a diploma is a baseline.  after that, the free market usually decides.  we can all show a piece of paper, but when the rubber hits the road, is the person qualified for fill in the blank position.  for us, first or last in the class, we  get tested with every patient we see.

btw, guys like rico get a little letter telling them to go somewhere else. 

let me get this straight...rico sees a dentist or denturist or whatever whom he doesn't think is qualified?  sounds about right.  surprised you still have any teeth left?

Dental hygienists do all the work anyway.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1683 on: October 18, 2021, 02:43:01 PM »
Dental hygienists do all the work anyway.

I always thank my dental hygienist for a job well done.  When I see my family doctor, I always thank him, too.  The dentist?  That one minute they spend poking around?  Hard pass

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1684 on: October 18, 2021, 03:05:54 PM »
This has become quite an amusing thread. Well done, everybody.

And yes, pace, DeSantis has the unnecessary deaths of thousands of Floridians on his hands. He actively, aggressively worked to undermine vaccines and mitigation techniques that have proved to save lives, all for the sake of scoring political points.

Thanks for asking!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1685 on: October 18, 2021, 05:03:31 PM »
For the record, the following people have called John McAdams, "Dr. McAdams"

Galway Eagle
Fluffy Blue Monster
dgies9156
Billy Holy
rocket ALM surgeon
Eldon
Ellenson Guerrero
keefe (rip)
ChicosBailBonds
classof2k

Just for FULL transparancy.

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo which is it, rocks for brains? 

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1686 on: October 18, 2021, 05:33:41 PM »
She's a fookin' joke and a disaster. Basically duzant no her ass from a hole in da ground, hey?

Thats no way to talk about Hards' mom, hey.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1687 on: October 18, 2021, 05:46:01 PM »
100%  If she was Dr. Jill Trump, we all know how he'd respond.

Not true at all.  You're grasping at straws but give your mom a hug. Why don't you search and see if you find one single positive comment I made about Donald Trump.  I'll save you the time, I haven't.  This is a fact despite many scoopers labeling me as a Trump-humper.  Don't blame me for Trump being a disaster but his successor being monumentally worse. 
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 05:50:22 PM by MuggsyB »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1688 on: October 18, 2021, 05:46:56 PM »
This has become quite an amusing thread. Well done, everybody.

And yes, pace, DeSantis has the unnecessary deaths of thousands of Floridians on his hands. He actively, aggressively worked to undermine vaccines and mitigation techniques that have proved to save lives, all for the sake of scoring political points.

Thanks for asking!

Is Cuomo responsible for any COVID deaths in NYC.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1689 on: October 18, 2021, 05:56:49 PM »
Harris made a weird video where she claimed she was talking about NASA and Space to kids who were really enthusiastic about science but it turned out that it was a group of child actors. Not a good look

It was actually worse than that because she was talking to these 10-12 year old kids as if they were 4.  It was weird and awkward as fk even beyond them being actors. But if they were not actors the kids would have looked at her like she's a whack job. Even though they are  kid actors, they should get some sort of freedom medal for enduring the whole thing and not vomiting.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 06:00:49 PM by MuggsyB »

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1690 on: October 18, 2021, 06:02:53 PM »

Yes.  A lot of them as a matter of fact.  His handling of nursing homes was an abject failure and he should be held accountable for that.  His being championed as a covid leader was a disgrace and a lesson no one will heed

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1691 on: October 18, 2021, 06:13:05 PM »
Not true at all.  You're grasping at straws but give your mom a hug. Why don't you search and see if you find one single positive comment I made about Donald Trump.  I'll save you the time, I haven't.  This is a fact despite many scoopers labeling me as a Trump-humper.  Don't blame me for Trump being a disaster but his successor being monumentally worse.

That was directed at rockforbrains, but go off, king.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1692 on: October 18, 2021, 06:13:53 PM »
Thats no way to talk about Hards' mom, hey.

You heard I posted about something and came running, got it.  ;)

sweeeeeeeeeatyyyyyyyy

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1693 on: October 18, 2021, 06:14:40 PM »
That was directed at rockforbrains, but go off, king.

Oh, my bad. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1694 on: October 18, 2021, 06:15:55 PM »
Oh, my bad.

All good, my man.  I'm only a first degree doctor anyway, so I still make mistakes, too.   :P

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1695 on: October 18, 2021, 06:36:20 PM »
I find it funny that we have a multi-page discussion of who earned the title doctor. For the record, I never insist on anyone referring to me as Dr., and almost never use the title for any purpose, even professional purposes. Frankly, the only place the title should be used is at a medical workplace where the title differentiates staff and roles in medicine.

For me as a PhD, in any professional environment, I'm already well known by everyone, so the title serves no benefit, my name is a better indicator of my accomplishments. When young people in my field see my name, they immediately know what I've done, there is no need for a title of authority.

But just because I find this area fascinating I'll chime in a bit.

Actually it isn't  silly.  The designation is silly. Education or any humanities professor do not consider themselves "legitimate doctors" unless they're  crazy smug and delusional.  Do you actually think real doctors believe there is no difference between them and their work vs a academic doctor?    Please.

Love the "real doctors" reference. The origin of the word doctor is from latin, it means to teach. It was originally used to refer to the eminent scholars of a field, who were well suited to teach. It later was used to refer to teachers at Universities. The first formal doctorate degrees were actually in divinity, so neither PhD's or MDs can claim the original "real doctor" title.

Physicians, or medical professionals, thinking an MD is a "real doctor" are narcissists with superiority complexes. A good MD, like a good PhD don't care about titles.

There is an exception. Typically women MD's and PhD's are more likely to insist on the title, that is often because, despite being in charge they are often dismissed by peers and outside individuals as "assistants" or "nurses" or somehow not their peers' equivalent, simply because they are a woman. That is not narcissism...it is demanding equal respect.

When you suddenly attack a woman for insisting on the use of the title they earned, it is a very bad look.

If you polled 1000 academics who have a PHD in a humanities discipline, and asked which field is the easiest as far as getting a doctorate, I would bet the only ones who would not say Education are the Education professors. 

You'd be wrong though. The completion rate for humanities PhD's is around 50%. The completion rate of medical school is 96%. That means 96% of the people who enroll in medical school get their degree, by far the highest rate of completion amongst all Doctorate granting degrees.

The difference between the person at the top of the medical class, and bottom of the class is massive...but they all earned the title doctor. Same for every PhD or EdD, not all dissertations are equal, but all have earned the title of doctor. A lay person having an issue with someone using the title they earned reeks of an inferiority complex.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 06:41:01 PM by forgetful »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1696 on: October 18, 2021, 06:41:37 PM »
Hell yes.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1697 on: October 18, 2021, 06:46:33 PM »
Yes.  Mismanaged the nursing homes.   Glad he was accountable for sexual harassment   .   I hold him to the same standard that I held Trump.   The country is better with them both out of office
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1698 on: October 18, 2021, 06:54:27 PM »
A good MD, like a good PhD don't care about titles.

There is an exception. Typically women MD's and PhD's are more likely to insist on the title, that is often because, despite being in charge they are often dismissed by peers and outside individuals as "assistants" or "nurses" or somehow not their peers' equivalent, simply because they are a woman. That is not narcissism...it is demanding equal respect.

When you suddenly attack a woman for insisting on the use of the title they earned, it is a very bad look.

The difference between the person at the top of the medical class, and bottom of the class is massive...but they all earned the title doctor. Same for every PhD or EdD, not all dissertations are equal, but all have earned the title of doctor. A lay person having an issue with someone using the title they earned reeks of an inferiority complex.

Lot of good stuff in here.  I grew up with a lot of doctors.  For whatever reason, my neighborhood growing up was very popular with young doctors in the (formerly) Aurora system fresh out of residency.  I remember multiple times saying to a parent "Mr" or "Mrs So and so" and being like "oops, I mean Doctor" and to a person they would usually laugh and say either is fine.  The only people I knew who were super insistent about their title in a non professional setting were usually unpleasant or cantankerous people otherwise, especially with children.  Or the principal at my grade school who would scold kids severely if not called Doctor and would use it as a weird prop at parent teacher conferences.

But they all earned the title, no matter what school, specialty, or program.  I think the funniest though was a guy who worked with my Dad on the earliest iteration of his company.  He was, at that time in the mid 90s, one of the top few back surgeons in the US.  He introduced and always referred himself to me (as a young teen) and every one else in his personal life by his first name.  "I have everyone all day in the hospital, the office, the operating room, calling my house calling me Dr. X, it's nice to hear my actual name for a change".

If you have an issue with someone as it relates to their title, have an issue with them being a tool or whatever otherwise, no need to disparage their accomplishment or earned credential.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1699 on: October 18, 2021, 06:56:20 PM »
Yep.