[Today at 12:21:27 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Masks  (Read 180762 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Masks
« Reply #1075 on: February 11, 2021, 02:00:38 PM »
I have my second Moderna  shot March 4, and after next week when I have some appointments, I intend to lie low in an effort to avoid picking any bugs up that could prevent me from getting it.

Light at the end of the tunnel!

👍

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1076 on: February 12, 2021, 05:03:35 AM »
IMO, masks should become a regular part of individual hygiene similar to washing hands.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1077 on: February 12, 2021, 06:15:34 AM »
IMO, masks should become a regular part of individual hygiene similar to washing hands.

I wish you luck with this.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1078 on: February 12, 2021, 06:32:04 AM »

That’s never going to happen. I am all for pandemic masking but when this is done, the masks get tossed.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1079 on: February 12, 2021, 06:51:32 AM »
That’s never going to happen. I am all for pandemic masking but when this is done, the masks get tossed.

I think you’ll be surprised the amount of business that will make it part of the no shirt, no shoes,....now add no mask, no business policy.

I for one am all for it.  If we can’t take the lessons learned from the last year and move forward to improve in how we handle and mitigate seasonal influenza seasoning then we are admitting we’re ok with upwards of 80,000 annual preventable deaths. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1080 on: February 12, 2021, 07:02:58 AM »
I think you’ll be surprised the amount of business that will make it part of the no shirt, no shoes,....now add no mask, no business policy.

I for one am all for it.  If we can’t take the lessons learned from the last year and move forward to improve in how we handle and mitigate seasonal influenza seasoning then we are admitting we’re ok with upwards of 80,000 annual preventable deaths.

1.  People won't comply with this since they don't comply with covid masking
2.  People will die no matter what you try to do prophylactically,
3.  It would be nice if people with influenza would/could stay home when sick, but we don't value labor in our society.
4.  Most people who die from Influenza have gotten medical treatment at the hospital, and our hospitals are not overwhelmed by Influenza cases every year.

I know you're trying really hard at this, and I just want you to know, you're doing a great job

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1081 on: February 12, 2021, 07:48:34 AM »
I wish you luck with this.

Oh. It won't happen. Hence "should".

Lots of other nations/citizens use masks appropriately.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1082 on: February 12, 2021, 08:22:36 AM »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1083 on: February 12, 2021, 08:24:00 AM »
Maigh Eo for Sam

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1084 on: February 12, 2021, 09:13:27 AM »
Oh. It won't happen. Hence "should".

Lots of other nations/citizens use masks appropriately.

In non-pandemic times?  And what is “appropriately”?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1085 on: February 12, 2021, 09:14:06 AM »
[/

Are you Asian, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1086 on: February 12, 2021, 09:29:13 AM »

I could see an argument that if the US persists with the work first no matter how you feel culture that masks should be worn by those with any pending ailment. However, I definitely don't think they're better for society to become a part of hygiene in general. That to me rings like when the world became obsessed with hand sanitizer and antibiotics and now a few strands of super bugs exists
Maigh Eo for Sam

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1087 on: February 12, 2021, 09:31:25 AM »
Humans still have immune systems too. Or, has that been taken away also, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1088 on: February 12, 2021, 10:07:25 AM »
I don't think masks will - or should - become required or generally expected in non-pandemic times. However, I suspect we will see more people voluntarily wearing masks, especially in higher-risk (crowded indoor) situations. Maybe like places in Asia, maybe less so...but very likely more than we have seen here in the past.

I live in Rochester, where the Mayo Clinic is the dominant employer and immunocompromised patients are everywhere. So in my 22+ years here, I have gotten used to seeing a few masked people most anytime I go shopping or walking around downtown. Well under 1% in pre-pandemic times (higher if I happen to be near the Cancer Center), but still common enough not to be surprising or unexpected. My hunch is that this will happen most everywhere, with mask use becoming an everyday thing for a small slice of the population.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #1089 on: February 12, 2021, 10:18:42 AM »
Getting rid of the work through any illness culture would be a start.
When I was still working I woke up one morning feeling truly awful, but was going to drag myself in because I had a case actually set for a pretrial hearing, not just status cases. Until I realized that I was doing my client no favors, with a criminal case involved, by showing up in the less-than-stellar condition I was in, aside from spreading germs around. The judge wanted my supervisor to do the motions instead, but luckily I had the file  with me at home. It was the right decision. I was in no shape to provide effective representation.
It will be interesting to see what next winter brings in terms of masks.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1090 on: February 12, 2021, 10:28:16 AM »
Pre pandemic, I spent significant time each year in Asia (HK, China, Singapore, Japan).  Post-SARS, masks became a bit of a thing in the region, which is what I imagine Jesu is referring to.  But again, it’s very small.  Outside of airports where it may be a handful of people you see, you may see a couple on the street, amongst millions of people.  It’s far from a standard or regular thing.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1091 on: February 12, 2021, 10:36:39 AM »
I don't think masks will - or should - become required or generally expected in non-pandemic times. However, I suspect we will see more people voluntarily wearing masks, especially in higher-risk (crowded indoor) situations.

This. Not being half sick all winter has kicked ass, and I'm going to try to remind myself of that post-covid.  Once covid fades, I have a feeling most people will be back to mocking stereotypical asian mask wearing, but I don't have the hubris for that. I'll be wearing a mask at the airport, crowded shopping areas, etc., during the winter months for sure, and maybe year round for the forseeable future.

Idk if I mentioned this earlier in this thread, but I know a lot of US healthcare providers have had zoom calls and presentations from southeast asian healthcare providers about hospital traffic flow, PPE usage, etc., throughout the pandemic.  There are a lot of lessons we have been ignoring from those folks that its not too late to take to heart.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1092 on: February 12, 2021, 03:31:30 PM »
1.  People won't comply with this since they don't comply with covid masking
2.  People will die no matter what you try to do prophylactically,
3.  It would be nice if people with influenza would/could stay home when sick, but we don't value labor in our society.
4.  Most people who die from Influenza have gotten medical treatment at the hospital, and our hospitals are not overwhelmed by Influenza cases every year.

I know you're trying really hard at this, and I just want you to know, you're doing a great job

1) I’m not saying it’ll be perfect compliance but I imagine a lot of businesses will post signage asking at least which is certainly the businesses right to do.
2) I’m not expecting zero deaths with masking during flu season, but 50% reduction would be huge!!  Follow the science
3) With folks and businesses now being much more comfortable with work from home hopefully we get chip away at the “work at all costs” mentality.
4) That’s not true.

Thank you for your support in my hope that masking/social gathering limitations etc will make its way into our normal routine during influenza season, as stated above it is what the science supports.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1093 on: February 12, 2021, 03:44:42 PM »
If healthy people want to wear masks when in risky situations (height of flu season, indoors, for example), then fine.

I'm more thinking of those who are symptomatic (coughing, sneezing, etc) with a potentially contagious illness who are going to be in close proximity to others. Those are the folks who, in my scenario, should be wearing masks.

Again, this would be completely voluntary. But, seeing as how poor hand hygiene is, I don't see this catching on anytime soon.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1094 on: February 12, 2021, 04:01:18 PM »
If healthy people want to wear masks when in risky situations (height of flu season, indoors, for example), then fine.

I'm more thinking of those who are symptomatic (coughing, sneezing, etc) with a potentially contagious illness who are going to be in close proximity to others. Those are the folks who, in my scenario, should be wearing masks.

Again, this would be completely voluntary. But, seeing as how poor hand hygiene is, I don't see this catching on anytime soon.

Fair point, and I tend to agree with your conclusion, but again, I’m curious as to where this sort of behavior is commonplace that we should aspire to, cause I’ve yet to experience it

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1095 on: February 12, 2021, 04:11:57 PM »
Ever been in a men's bathroom at a busy airport?  Next time you're there, watch how many people don't wash their hands after shaking hands with the mare!

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1096 on: February 12, 2021, 05:52:23 PM »
Fair point, and I tend to agree with your conclusion, but again, I’m curious as to where this sort of behavior is commonplace that we should aspire to, cause I’ve yet to experience it

Mostly, I've seen it across various asian countries. Certainly not a majority, however.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #1097 on: February 13, 2021, 07:08:49 PM »
Pre pandemic, I spent significant time each year in Asia (HK, China, Singapore, Japan).  Post-SARS, masks became a bit of a thing in the region, which is what I imagine Jesu is referring to.  But again, it’s very small.  Outside of airports where it may be a handful of people you see, you may see a couple on the street, amongst millions of people.  It’s far from a standard or regular thing.

And a few of those are just hiding plastic surgery bruising too. Especially in Korea.
But I like to throw handfuls...

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1098 on: February 13, 2021, 07:11:08 PM »
And a few of those are just hiding plastic surgery bruising too. Especially in Korea.

masks on der boobies?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1099 on: February 14, 2021, 09:54:23 AM »
masks on der boobies?

I know you're just joking, but plastic surgery is very common in SK.  Noses and eyes.

feedback