[Today at 03:17:33 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Masks  (Read 180889 times)

tower912

• All American
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

pacearrow02

• Starter
Re: Masks
« Reply #901 on: November 18, 2020, 10:36:39 AM »
Or different way of looking at it, as businesses returned to larger capacities, offices started opening again, restaurants and bars were allowed to have indoor diners and drinkers again.

If you have a bunch of people who where masks to go to their seat and watch the football game that's good till every one of them removes said mask to drink their beer once at the bar.

You also assume people are wearing their masks correctly and/or have effective masks. Plenty of studies have shown your nose needs to be covered and many many people don't. And we've seen the study about which masks are most effective, yet people still wear bandanas or those nylon things that do nothing.

Wear*

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #902 on: November 18, 2020, 10:39:10 AM »
People like PaceArrow are why we have failed as a society.  Instead of working together to mitigate a pandemic, too many people look for reasons not to be better

To repeat, "the modern U.S. right doesn’t believe in evidence-based policy, it believes in policy-based evidence"

Cheeks doesn't want to wear a mask, so he mischaracterizes evidence to support what he wants to do, making us all fail.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #903 on: November 18, 2020, 10:39:55 AM »
People like PaceArrow are why we have failed as a society.  Instead of working together to mitigate a pandemic, too many people look for reasons not to be better

I wear a mask everyday, anytime I am out of the home and have for the better part of 8 months.

I’m doing as I’m told so point your finger somewhere else.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #904 on: November 18, 2020, 10:40:28 AM »
To repeat, "the modern U.S. right doesn’t believe in evidence-based policy, it believes in policy-based evidence"

Cheeks doesn't want to wear a mask, so he mischaracterizes evidence to support what he wants to do, making us all fail.

You could not be more wrong. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #905 on: November 18, 2020, 10:42:35 AM »

Wear*

Thank you for your grammatical correction. I would hate for my point to get lost by such distractions. You should try it rather than get upset.

Any thoughts on the rest of the post?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #906 on: November 18, 2020, 10:44:10 AM »

If Trump came out and said the moon was made of cheese, we’d have people debating that as fact with the same type of “evidence” being used in this discussion
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #907 on: November 18, 2020, 10:47:08 AM »
You could not be more wrong.
How's northern Idaho?

Have the last word, chicos, as always.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #908 on: November 18, 2020, 10:56:04 AM »

They prefer to buck the trend to garner attention. I call them asshats. Cheeks/WarriorDad/PaceArrow is an asshat.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #909 on: November 18, 2020, 11:07:53 AM »
Thank you for your grammatical correction. I would hate for my point to get lost by such distractions. You should try it rather than get upset.

Any thoughts on the rest of the post?

I agreed with a lot of it and appreciate you having an adult conversation with a rational argument/conclusion.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #910 on: November 18, 2020, 11:09:04 AM »
If Trump came out and said the moon was made of cheese, we’d have people debating that as fact with the same type of “evidence” being used in this discussion

How do you know for certain parts of it are not?

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #911 on: November 18, 2020, 11:15:19 AM »
Oh Fluffy, sweetie.  You’re twisting yourself in knots.

To ignore the findings of this study, the stories we’ve all heard from friends/families/fellow scoopers of instances where infection happened despite disciplined mask wearing, and the fact that we are at record levels of infection despite better then ever mask compliance across the country as evidence to possibly doubt the effectiveness of masks lacks logic.

But you do you Fluffy, I suggest doubling up the mask to offer twice the protection.

This is incorrect.

There are many examples of people who are pretty good disciplined mask wearers that get infected because they are not wearing their mask at all times when in exposed environments inside or outside, just pretty good much of the time. That isn't quite good enough.

So many tales of people who make that one time mistake of not being diligent, maybe eating at the restaurant inside or outside instead of getting take out, etc...is all it takes. I shared yesterday the example of those Mayo Clinic workers taking their masks off to eat in thr break room. Etc...

There have been many studies shared here that show the effectiveness of wearing a mask, both for the benefit of others, and even oneself. Many.

But your angle is to come back long after a previous discussion to play gotcha and to place blame on someone (Fauci). These are the regurgitation of partisan talking points, that of course, are also incorrect. The approval rating of said person is extremely high, the qualifications, and success of the person throughout the Pandemic, have been also high.  You are giving yourself, and, your intentions away by focusing on that person.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #912 on: November 18, 2020, 11:19:20 AM »
Or different way of looking at it, as businesses returned to larger capacities, offices started opening again, restaurants and bars were allowed to have indoor diners and drinkers again.

If you have a bunch of people who wear masks to go to their seat and watch the football game that's good till every one of them removes said mask to drink their beer once at the bar.

You also assume people are wearing their masks correctly and/or have effective masks. Plenty of studies have shown your nose needs to be covered and many many people don't. And we've seen the study about which masks are most effective, yet people still wear bandanas or those nylon things that do nothing.

I agree. Purely my opinion, but I would guess non-masked social interactions are higher now than since the lockdowns stopped. A lot of those spring and summer weddings were pushed to fall and are going forward. We have kids back at school and college. Organized sports have picked up. Even with mask mandates, there’s not really a way to police in the home. Also, the COVID fatigue makes me think people are getting a little sloppier with masks (myself included).

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #913 on: November 18, 2020, 11:23:07 AM »
Don't argue with fools...

People like PaceArrow are why we have failed as a society. 

+2

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #914 on: November 18, 2020, 11:24:35 AM »
This is incorrect.

There are many examples of people who are pretty good disciplined mask wearers that get infected because they are not wearing their mask at all times when in exposed environments inside or outside, just pretty good much of the time. That isn't quite good enough.

So many tales of people who make that one time mistake of not being diligent, maybe eating at the restaurant inside or outside instead of getting take out, etc...is all it takes. I shared yesterday the example of those Mayo Clinic workers taking their masks off to eat in thr break room. Etc...

There have been many studies shared here that show the effectiveness of wearing a mask, both for the benefit of others, and even oneself. Many.

But your angle is to come back long after a previous discussion to play gotcha and to place blame on someone (Fauci). These are the regurgitation of partisan talking points, that of course, are also incorrect. The approval rating of said person is extremely high, the qualifications, and success of the person throughout the Pandemic, have been also high.  You are giving yourself, and, your intentions away by focusing on that person.

Agree 100%.  There have been many studies showing masks efficacy.  There are some that don’t.  I take them all into account while some ignore certain ones and explain them away.

I should not have posted it cause it’s lead to a predictable response and thread.  A good analogy to your “slip up” when it comes to mask wearing and getting infected, this was my scoop “slip up”.

Season starts in a week, thank god.  I hope to wear my scoop mask until then and see ya guys over there to point out how wrong you are with your hoop takes as well.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #915 on: November 18, 2020, 11:24:45 AM »

It's the state of political discourse. One side is engaged in disingenuous arguments. Much like internet trolling it's hard to beat because not everyone is willing to ignore trolls and engaging in discourse with them actually increases the validity of their inane stance.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #916 on: November 18, 2020, 11:28:55 AM »
I agree. Purely my opinion, but I would guess non-masked social interactions are higher now than since the lockdowns stopped. A lot of those spring and summer weddings were pushed to fall and are going forward. We have kids back at school and college. Organized sports have picked up. Even with mask mandates, there’s not really a way to police in the home. Also, the COVID fatigue makes me think people are getting a little sloppier with masks (myself included).
How many people still sanitize their groceries?

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #917 on: November 18, 2020, 11:41:06 AM »
Agree 100%.  There have been many studies showing masks efficacy.  There are some that don’t.  I take them all into account while some ignore certain ones and explain them away.

I should not have posted it cause it’s lead to a predictable response and thread.  A good analogy to your “slip up” when it comes to mask wearing and getting infected, this was my scoop “slip up”.

Season starts in a week, thank god.  I hope to wear my scoop mask until then and see ya guys over there to point out how wrong you are with your hoop takes as well.

You "agreed" but then you tried to say "both sides" which again is incorrect. Masks work. That has been proven. You also agreed that your reasons for posting were really about regurgitating anti-Fauci talking points.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 11:44:26 AM by shoothoops »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #918 on: November 18, 2020, 11:53:12 AM »
How many people still sanitize their groceries?

Sum folks spray der utensils and food wit Everclear. Eye'm figurin' day're ether nuts orr alkies, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #919 on: November 18, 2020, 12:26:28 PM »

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #920 on: November 18, 2020, 12:28:44 PM »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #921 on: November 18, 2020, 12:33:36 PM »

So according to you "explaining them away" means actually reading them and drawing from them the conclusions that they drew themselves AND MORE IMPORTANTLY the conclusions that they DIDN'T draw.

Unlike you, I don't pretend the study said something it didn't say.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #922 on: November 18, 2020, 01:27:09 PM »
Tennessee reported 72 new deaths yesterday.

Governor Bill Lee?

https://twitter.com/BrettKelman/status/1329075526321913864?s=19

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #923 on: November 18, 2020, 02:40:51 PM »
500 mask studies...

lostpassword

• Starter
« Reply #924 on: November 18, 2020, 02:59:45 PM »
Pace Arrow - legitimate question.  If you were "king" and could mandate such things, what would you do relative to masks?  I'm really interested as I don't understand the "so what" behind your posts today.  How would you have us behave?

[1] Mandate mask wearing.  You believe there is evidence that they are beneficial to self and/or community.
[2] Mandate mask wearing.  You aren't sure if they are helpful, but believe the "possible" benefits are worth the mandate.
[3] Optional.  You do not believe there is any evidence of community benefit.
[4] Optional.  You believe there are benefits to self and/or community but personal freedom trumps that evidence.
[5] Mandate against masks.  You believe there is evidence that they cause harm to self and/or the community.
[6] Mandate against masks.  You bleieve there are benefits, but let's watch it burn.

Something other than one of these?

I suspect most in this thread are #1.  Myself included.  The study posted doesn't do anything to change that position which is why I think many (myself included) are confused on the point trying to be made.

feedback