[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Masks  (Read 180625 times)

shoothoops

• All American
Re: Masks
« Reply #875 on: November 17, 2020, 08:08:41 AM »
"Once again, I asked my Republican colleagues to stop endangering all the Senate workers, and simply wear a mask when presiding over the Senate. Once again they refused."

https://twitter.com/SenSherrodBrown/status/1328494242210209793?s=19

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #876 on: November 18, 2020, 08:47:42 AM »
https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-6817

Would you look at that.  Turns out Fauci was right way back in March, apologies to him.

Should have stuck to his guns!

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #877 on: November 18, 2020, 08:55:15 AM »

Would you look at that.  Turns out Fauci was right way back in March, apologies to him.

Daily death rates rising.  Don’t wear masks!
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #878 on: November 18, 2020, 08:59:49 AM »

Oh Cheeks.  You didn't read the link did you.  This was a study that tested mask wearing in controlled settings where distancing and other factors were already in place.  And even then it was inconclusive.

But as for the overall effectiveness of mask wearing, it says this:

"Thus, these findings do not provide data on the effectiveness of widespread mask wearing in the community in reducing SARS-CoV-2 infections. They do, however, offer evidence about the degree of protection mask wearers can anticipate in a setting where others are not wearing masks and where other public health measures, including social distancing, are in effect. The findings also suggest that persons should not abandon other COVID-19 safety measures regardless of the use of masks."
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 09:01:20 AM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #879 on: November 18, 2020, 09:00:39 AM »
Daily death rates rising.  Don’t wear masks!

Science denier!!!

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #880 on: November 18, 2020, 09:05:09 AM »
Oh Cheeks.  You didn't read the link did you.  This was a study that tested mask wearing in controlled settings where distancing and other factors were already in place.  And even then it was inconclusive.

"Thus, these findings do not provide data on the effectiveness of widespread mask wearing in the community in reducing SARS-CoV-2 infections. They do, however, offer evidence about the degree of protection mask wearers can anticipate in a setting where others are not wearing masks and where other public health measures, including social distancing, are in effect. The findings also suggest that persons should not abandon other COVID-19 safety measures regardless of the use of masks."

L.O.L.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #881 on: November 18, 2020, 09:26:49 AM »

Oh Fluffy, sweetie.  You’re twisting yourself in knots.

To ignore the findings of this study, the stories we’ve all heard from friends/families/fellow scoopers of instances where infection happened despite disciplined mask wearing, and the fact that we are at record levels of infection despite better then ever mask compliance across the country as evidence to possibly doubt the effectiveness of masks lacks logic.

But you do you Fluffy, I suggest doubling up the mask to offer twice the protection.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #882 on: November 18, 2020, 09:30:49 AM »

To ignore the findings of this study, the stories we’ve all heard from friends/families/fellow scoopers of instances where infection happened despite disciplined mask wearing, and the fact that we are at record levels of infection despite better then ever mask compliance across the country as evidence to possibly doubt the effectiveness of masks lacks logic.

But you do you Fluffy, I suggest doubling up the mask to offer twice the protection.

You’re correct.  What we need is a complete shutdown across the nation.  Glad you’ve recovered after the trumping of your dear leader two weeks ago

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #883 on: November 18, 2020, 09:34:45 AM »
You’re correct.  What we need is a complete shutdown across the nation.  Glad you’ve recovered after the trumping of your dear leader two weeks ago

A complete shutdown until everyone is vaccinated would certainly do the trick and if Biden doesn’t impose this measure he’ll have blood of innocent people in his hands.  That’s how this works right?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/18/health/coronavirus-masks-denmark.html#click=https://t.co/xrP6wLl3SW

Nice article outlining both sides of the argument coming from this study.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #884 on: November 18, 2020, 09:43:13 AM »
A complete shutdown until everyone is vaccinated would certainly do the trick and if Biden doesn’t impose this measure he’ll have blood of innocent people in his hands.  That’s how this works right?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/18/health/coronavirus-masks-denmark.html#click=https://t.co/xrP6wLl3SW

Nice article outlining both sides of the argument coming from this study.

I see you didn’t read the article again

• All American
« Reply #885 on: November 18, 2020, 09:45:43 AM »

Uh...what?  What you are claiming is not a conclusion that can be drawn from this study.  What CAN be drawn, is that mask wearing may not provide extra benefits where other mitigating procedures are already in place.

It SPECIFICALLY STATES that it doesn't provide any conclusions as to the effectiveness of widespread mask wearing.

I mean, can you read???
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #886 on: November 18, 2020, 09:50:56 AM »
I see you didn’t read the article again

I see you’re wrong....again

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #887 on: November 18, 2020, 09:55:18 AM »
I thought the primary purpose of a mask was to protect others from you, so therefore, if everyone wears masks, the Covid rate should plummet.. Or is Pace just being obtuse for the sake of being obtuse?

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #888 on: November 18, 2020, 09:57:08 AM »
I thought the primary purpose of a mask was to protect others from you, so therefore, if everyone wears masks, the Covid rate should plummet.. Or is Pace just being obtuse for the sake of being obtuse?

You would think, that’s what we were told at least.

Doesn’t appear to be the case.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #889 on: November 18, 2020, 09:59:27 AM »
You would think, that’s what we were told at least.

Doesn’t appear to be the case.

Further proof you didn't read your link.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #890 on: November 18, 2020, 10:01:13 AM »
Don't argue with fools...

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #891 on: November 18, 2020, 10:04:21 AM »
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6928e2.htm

I prefer to believe stories like this rather than attempt to discredit mask use by obfuscating other studies that seem to on their face say they cannot draw conclusions from the data in the study.

lostpassword

• Starter
« Reply #892 on: November 18, 2020, 10:14:11 AM »

I only skimmed the link but it specifically says this: "no assessment of whether masks could decrease disease transmission from mask wearers to others."

I've yet to see anything that indicates wearing a mask is a net-negative for myself but lots that says it is good for the community should I become infected.  I'm confused as to how this study could be used to support not wearing masks.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #893 on: November 18, 2020, 10:14:42 AM »
Further proof you didn't read your link.

Further proof you are also wrong....again.

I know the study looked at the efficacy of mask wearing as it relates to protecting yourself and not the spread to others.

I’m referring to the spike in infections in the last 6 weeks or so when mask wearing is at an all time high. That would suggest it’s not working in limiting the spread to others.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #894 on: November 18, 2020, 10:15:10 AM »
Don't argue with fools...

Didn’t take long for the name calling to start, par for the course.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #895 on: November 18, 2020, 10:19:43 AM »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #896 on: November 18, 2020, 10:19:59 AM »

I’m referring to the spike in infections in the last 6 weeks or so when mask wearing is at an all time high. That would suggest it’s not working in limiting the spread to others.

Or different way of looking at it, as businesses returned to larger capacities, offices started opening again, restaurants and bars were allowed to have indoor diners and drinkers again.

If you have a bunch of people who wear masks to go to their seat and watch the football game that's good till every one of them removes said mask to drink their beer once at the bar.

You also assume people are wearing their masks correctly and/or have effective masks. Plenty of studies have shown your nose needs to be covered and many many people don't. And we've seen the study about which masks are most effective, yet people still wear bandanas or those nylon things that do nothing.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 10:43:07 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

• All American
« Reply #897 on: November 18, 2020, 10:23:56 AM »

I know the study looked at the efficacy of mask wearing as it relates to protecting yourself and not the spread to others.

1. So you wanted to make a point. 
2. Did a Google search for a study you hope would make it for you. 
3. Found something that you either didn't read or understand
4. Now that this has been pointed out to you, are making your point regardless.

So very Chicos. <chef's kiss> 

Anyway, the drive up in cases has largely been traced to bars or family events where mask compliance...isn't great.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #898 on: November 18, 2020, 10:27:40 AM »

Nope. The surges are tied to a lack of mask wearing, especially at social gatherings.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/11/12/covid-social-gatherings/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/mask-wearing-coronavirus-hot-spots/2020/10/27/71001546-1883-11eb-82db-60b15c874105_story.html

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #899 on: November 18, 2020, 10:29:31 AM »
People like PaceArrow are why we have failed as a society.  Instead of working together to mitigate a pandemic, too many people look for reasons not to be better

feedback