[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Masks  (Read 180601 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: Masks
« Reply #750 on: October 28, 2020, 03:48:51 PM »

I was recently thinking back to 2008 when my wife and I were with thousands of others, packed together in Rockafeller Center. The feeling of excitement that night. The celebration when Barack Obama was declared the winner was so cool to be a part of. Even during McCain's concession speech people in the crowd were quiet and respectful. Down in East Village, there were celebrations in the streets, absolutely no damage, violence, or injuries. 12 years later we're anticipating violence, destruction, and legitimate concern about the election being stolen and a sitting President refusing the accept the results should he lose. It's unbelievable our country has devolved to this point in just four years.

I was in Rockefeller Center that night as well. You are spot on as to the atmosphere there.

A really fun thing we did was going into the Rockefeller Center (surprisingly there was no security keeping people out). We went to a couple rooms where “experts” were talking on live TV. We also went up to a 3rd floor Internet cafe they had set up and sat on the window sill. Hundreds of people down below in the crowd waved at us as we waved out the window. We were even able to take the elevator up to where they record The Tonight Show (i believe).

This was obviously after 9/11 and I’m still surprised how little security there was as we wandered from floor to floor.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #751 on: October 28, 2020, 03:51:54 PM »
Leaders lead:

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1321543754059231234?s=19

The word “buffoon” comes to mind. When his people wonder why we look at them as not too bright, this could be exhibit #1.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #752 on: October 28, 2020, 03:54:22 PM »
I think he vanishes and lets Pence run things for the next couple of months.

He likes being a celebrity. He likes adoration and being on camera.

Perhaps starting or buying a TV network that he can star on?

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #753 on: October 28, 2020, 04:25:33 PM »
I was in Rockefeller Center that night as well. You are spot on as to the atmosphere there.

A really fun thing we did was going into the Rockefeller Center (surprisingly there was no security keeping people out). We went to a couple rooms where “experts” were talking on live TV. We also went up to a 3rd floor Internet cafe they had set up and sat on the window sill. Hundreds of people down below in the crowd waved at us as we waved out the window. We were even able to take the elevator up to where they record The Tonight Show (i believe).

This was obviously after 9/11 and I’m still surprised how little security there was as we wandered from floor to floor.

That's awesome you were able to roam around inside.

Two things I'll never forget about that night:

1 - this girl in front of us was boozing it up and freaking out over everything up on the screen. When the Kentucky polls closed that went up and with less than 1% Obama was up. She called her mom and started screaming and jumping up and down "Oh my god, we won Kentucky!!"

2 - we were all waiting on Ohio.  If Obama wins Ohio it's over. Well, NBC has yet to call it and my buddy calls me and says "Fox just called Ohio for Obama. It's f-ing over!!" I turn to my wife and say "Matt said Fox just called Ohio for Obama." Someone hears me and suddenly it's running through the crowd like wildfire. About 2 minutes later NBC calls Ohio. I was so glad he was right!!
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #754 on: October 28, 2020, 04:38:01 PM »
That's awesome you were able to roam around inside.

Two things I'll never forget about that night:

1 - this girl in front of us was boozing it up and freaking out over everything up on the screen. When the Kentucky polls closed that went up and with less than 1% Obama was up. She called her mom and started screaming and jumping up and down "Oh my god, we won Kentucky!!"

2 - we were all waiting on Ohio.  If Obama wins Ohio it's over. Well, NBC has yet to call it and my buddy calls me and says "Fox just called Ohio for Obama. It's f-ing over!!" I turn to my wife and say "Matt said Fox just called Ohio for Obama." Someone hears me and suddenly it's running through the crowd like wildfire. About 2 minutes later NBC calls Ohio. I was so glad he was right!!

I was in Grant Park. My buddy, who became a professional photographer, won awards from the photos he took that night. We then marched up Lake Michigan Ave chanting. what a night. In retrospect Palin cost McCain that election, if he'd picked a moderate R he wins IMO. Of course now days Palin would be considered a moderate R lol.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #755 on: October 28, 2020, 04:38:24 PM »
Love that part of town. Goose Hollow Inn rules

their Reubens are incredible!
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #756 on: October 29, 2020, 12:48:24 AM »
Several of us were doing voter protection stuff in Milwaukee. We were on our way home to Chicago, sitting in the Brat Stop for a beer and some food, when Ohio was called.
We were also there in 2012. Covid is keeping me from being in Wisconsin this year.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #757 on: October 29, 2020, 08:17:38 AM »
Maigh Eo for Sam

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #758 on: October 29, 2020, 08:26:31 AM »
A room, a bar, a classroom. How the Coronavirus is spread through the air. This is well done:

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-10-28/a-room-a-bar-and-a-class-how-the-coronavirus-is-spread-through-the-air.html?ssm=TW_CC

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #759 on: October 29, 2020, 01:54:27 PM »
From one weather extreme in Omaha, to another in Tampa:

https://twitter.com/albamonica/status/1321883419673038860?s=19

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #760 on: October 29, 2020, 03:05:28 PM »

I think its clear that Trump is using these last few days to fly around on his big plane and appeal to his base, because these rallies, and what he says at them, isn't going to inspire many to vote for him who haven't already decided to do so.

yeah right, cuz it didn't work for hillary either...no, wait...
don't...don't don't don't don't

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #761 on: October 29, 2020, 03:12:02 PM »
yeah right, cuz it didn't work for hillary either...no, wait...

Hillary was losing support for a couple of weeks prior to the election.  Biden's margins have been consistent since just after the first debate.  I also think with all of the early voting going on, that it really doesn't matter what either of them do because so many have already voted.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #762 on: October 29, 2020, 03:29:12 PM »

Hillary was losing support for a couple of weeks prior to the election.  Biden's margins have been consistent since just after the first debate.  I also think with all of the early voting going on, that it really doesn't matter what either of them do because so many have already voted.

Worse yet, her favorability rating was terrible. People did not like her.

Biden does not suffer these problems. And worse yet for trump, seniors KNOW Biden.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #763 on: October 29, 2020, 03:48:17 PM »
Worse yet, her favorability rating was terrible. People did not like her.

Biden does not suffer these problems. And worse yet for trump, seniors KNOW Biden.
And even worser for Trump, seniors now know Trump.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #764 on: October 29, 2020, 04:31:31 PM »

Yep. According to Nate Silver's site, Clinton had a 2.9% lead on Nov. 3 (five days before the election). As of today, Biden holds an 8.8% lead. That is exactly 3 times Clinton's lead.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/president-general/national/

And as you said, there's a lot less room for Trump to do damage in the last 5 days this year, given the mind-blowing number of ballots that have been accepted. We are at over 80 million as I type this - almost 60% of the total 2016 turnout, and about 53% of projected turnout this year.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #765 on: October 29, 2020, 05:11:52 PM »
Yep. According to Nate Silver's site, Clinton had a 2.9% lead on Nov. 3 (five days before the election). As of today, Biden holds an 8.8% lead. That is exactly 3 times Clinton's lead.

She won by 2.1%. Wow, the polls were really way off. Only a once in a lifetime fluke of 77,000 meant a loss.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #766 on: October 29, 2020, 05:46:50 PM »
In 2016, Trump failed to get 50% in Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Michigan.   The Greens and the libertarians peeled off a large number of votes.    Now that Trump has a record, this election really comes down to Trump and his record.   The Greens and Libertarians aren't going to get 5 % of the vote nationally.   So, this election is about unifying the 54% of Americans who voted 'not Trump' in 2016.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #767 on: October 29, 2020, 06:11:39 PM »
In 2016, Trump failed to get 50% in Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Michigan.   The Greens and the libertarians peeled off a large number of votes.    Now that Trump has a record, this election really comes down to Trump and his record.   The Greens and Libertarians aren't going to get 5 % of the vote nationally.   So, this election is about unifying the 54% of Americans who voted 'not Trump' in 2016.

While this may be true based on statistics, I hate the implication.

If the outside parties obtained votes that Dems or GOP felt should have gone to them, then they should have done more to earn those votes.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #768 on: October 29, 2020, 06:17:05 PM »
While this may be true based on statistics, I hate the implication.

If the outside parties obtained votes that Dems or GOP felt should have gone to them, then they should have done more to earn those votes.

No question. There is little Hillary could have done down the stretch to make more people ‘like’ her, but the fact that she essentially ignored the rust belt was totally on her. Biden is not making the same mistake.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #769 on: October 29, 2020, 08:29:50 PM »

No question. There is little Hillary could have done down the stretch to make more people ‘like’ her, but the fact that she essentially ignored the rust belt was totally on her. Biden is not making the same mistake.

Either party/candidate last year or this year could pick some pretty populist economic policies to offer and earn way more votes. Instead we're just gonna shout about cultural/social issues

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #770 on: October 29, 2020, 08:39:21 PM »
Either party/candidate last year or this year could pick some pretty populist economic policies to offer and earn way more votes. Instead we're just gonna shout about cultural/social issues

I saw a graphic the other day showing  that every presidential election since the 1940s has gone to the candidate that is viewed as better on the top issue on voters‘ minds. In this election, that’s Covid. As a result, Biden is smart to continue talking about how poorly Trump has done, and Trump has no choice but to try to convince people he is doing a good job.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #771 on: October 29, 2020, 10:18:58 PM »

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/president-general/national/

And as you said, there's a lot less room for Trump to do damage in the last 5 days this year, given the mind-blowing number of ballots that have been accepted. We are at over 80 million as I type this - almost 60% of the total 2016 turnout, and about 53% of projected turnout this year.

Also, many of the polls that were off admitted their polling strategy was off, they've adjusted their sampling to account for the errors in 2016, so there should be less polls that are significantly off.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #772 on: October 29, 2020, 10:26:52 PM »
Also, many of the polls that were off admitted their polling strategy was off, they've adjusted their sampling to account for the errors in 2016, so there should be less polls that are significantly off.

NBC - and probably other networks are doing some interesting and innovative things on election night.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #773 on: October 29, 2020, 10:46:06 PM »

No question. There is little Hillary could have done down the stretch to make more people ‘like’ her, but the fact that she essentially ignored the rust belt was totally on her.

Russ Feingold didn't ignore it- how'd that work out?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #774 on: October 29, 2020, 10:47:37 PM »

The beautiful thing is that we’ll get to find out on Nov. 3 (or Dec 3 or ... ).
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback