collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 11:07:17 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Viper
[Today at 10:34:23 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Masks  (Read 180321 times)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Re: Masks
« Reply #600 on: October 14, 2020, 05:07:21 PM »
my wife was contacted about teaching yoga and spin again. After this she's going to pass:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/13/world/spinco-canada-covid-19-outbreak-trnd/index.html

A spin studio that public health officials say followed all Covid-19 protocols is now reporting 61 positive cases of Covid-19, and as many as 100 staff, clients and family members may have been exposed.

This is why we turned our second bedroom/office into an exercise room.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #601 on: October 14, 2020, 05:51:14 PM »
my wife was contacted about teaching yoga and spin again. After this she's going to pass:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/13/world/spinco-canada-covid-19-outbreak-trnd/index.html

A spin studio that public health officials say followed all Covid-19 protocols is now reporting 61 positive cases of Covid-19, and as many as 100 staff, clients and family members may have been exposed.

Yeah, the notion of reopening gyms concerns me. Given that people are working at high intensity, masks aren’t feasible. And since they’re breathing very heavily, the normal six–foot radius doesn’t seem like it would be sufficient. The link you provided seems to support  this concern.

Out of curiosity, what equipment do you have in your home gym? I have a NordicTrack, a LeMond spinning bike, a Smooth treadmill that my wife uses (all 15+ years old and still going strong), and a few dumbbells.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #602 on: October 14, 2020, 06:01:09 PM »

Yeah, the notion of reopening gyms concerns me. Given that people are working at high intensity, masks aren’t feasible. And since they’re breathing very heavily, the normal six–foot radius doesn’t seem like it would be sufficient. The link you provided seems to support  this concern.

Out of curiosity, what equipment do you have in your home gym? I have a NordicTrack, a LeMond spinning bike, a Smooth treadmill that my wife uses (all 15+ years old and still going strong), and a few dumbbells.

I have a Peloton bike and use the app for other classes like strength, yoga and HIIT. We've got resistance bands, a few dumbells as well (3, 5, 10, 15 and one 20), and a full compliment of yoga equipment (since my wife is certified in that).

I had some classes left at Orange Theory from March so I went in August. Good god, running on a treadmill at high speeds while wearing a mask was brutal (I didn't go back until masks were required). I know my OTF was taking as many precautions as they could but still didn't feel comfortable continuing.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 06:39:30 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #603 on: October 14, 2020, 06:29:35 PM »
https://wgntv.com/news/coronavirus/covid-19-outbreak-at-orangetheory-in-elmhurst/

Orangetheory outbreak in Elmhurst.
I have not been back to my Lifetime. The owner is on one of Trump’s reopening committees, and word on the street is that they don’t enforce masks on recalcitrant patrons. I work out in a park with my trainer once a week for now, but I miss going, I was being really diligent.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #604 on: October 14, 2020, 06:40:11 PM »
Wear an effen mask!

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article246445680.html?ac_cid=DM302012&ac_bid=-1757227681

At a revealing 5,000 frames per second, a camera captured how talking produces tiny droplets of saliva that rupture and disperse into the air in the blink of an eye, according to a new study from Princeton University.

It’s these same aerosolized droplets that can carry coronavirus particles and be inhaled by others. Certain sounds can exacerbate this explosive effect, so researchers say a better understanding of the process may inform new ways to mitigate viral spread.

Detailed videos of the speech spittle offer some good news: face masks can “effectively contain a significant portion of expelled aerosols,” and even wearing lip balm can reduce how many droplets form during speaking.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 10:29:34 PM by shoothoops »

shoothoops

• All American

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #607 on: October 15, 2020, 01:58:06 PM »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #608 on: October 15, 2020, 02:54:30 PM »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #609 on: October 15, 2020, 08:11:10 PM »

I call shenanigans on “following all protocol and procedures”. At the very least i bet they had “normal” class sizes.  My GF’s Pilates studio in WI has never closed and has been mask mandatory the last 6 months. They have also reduced class sizes and added spacing during classes.

My gym has been open and while staff was masked, they didn’t go to mask mandatory till the MKE County mandate. As of this week, there have been no cases within the gym over the last 5 months since I’ve been back.

In normal circumstances gyms are a risk, but with proper measures I don’t buy that they inevitable outbreak havens 

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #610 on: October 15, 2020, 08:23:48 PM »
Revisiting Missouri Governor Mike COVID-19 Parson.

https://twitter.com/michelemunz/status/1316830566218633219?s=19

Missouri, record hospitalizations, 4th nationally in deaths over the last 7 days, 17.9% positivity rate, 

"Hospitalizations have risen dramatically since mid June, quadrupled in July."

All of the state is affected by this... EXCEPT...wait for it...St. Louis City and County which have had had strict mask and distance mandates since earlier in the Pandemic that are still in effect.

Wear a mask. Physical distance.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #611 on: October 16, 2020, 08:08:36 AM »
Chris Christie: "Wear an effen mask!" (Disclosure: I added the effen for effen emphasis.)

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/15/us/politics/chris-christie-face-masks-covid.html?campaign_id=56&emc=edit_cn_20201016&instance_id=23195&nl=on-politics-with-lisa-lerer&regi_id=108420427&segment_id=41255&te=1&user_id=d36dcf821462fdd16ec3636710a855fa

Chris Christie, the former New Jersey governor who was recently battling a coronavirus infection, said on Thursday that he was “wrong” not to wear a mask at an event honoring Judge Amy Coney Barrett and in his debate preparation sessions with President Trump, and that people should take the threat of the virus seriously.

In an interview with The New York Times and in a written statement, Mr. Christie said that he had believed he was in a “safe zone” at the White House while he was there.  He urged people to follow best practices, like mask wearing and social distancing, but argued there’s a middle ground between extensive, large-scale shutdowns and reopening cities and states without taking proper precautions.

Mr. Christie said he had spent days in the intensive care unit of the Morristown Medical Center in New Jersey, after taking himself there on Oct. 3 at the insistence of his doctor. Mr. Christie, who was at high risk for negative effects of the coronavirus because of his weight and because he is an asthmatic, was one of several people around Mr. Trump, who announced early on Oct. 2 that he had tested positive, to contract the virus.

Mr. Christie had led Mr. Trump’s debate preparation sessions, and attended the Sept. 26 event honoring Ms. Barrett, the president’s nominee for the Supreme Court, in the Rose Garden. White House officials are looking at that event as a cause of the spread of the virus to more than a dozen people.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #612 on: October 16, 2020, 08:30:45 AM »

New CDC Study Finds Majority of Those Infected with COVID-19 ‘Always’ Wore Masks
https://californiaglobe.com/section-2/new-cdc-study-finds-majority-of-those-infected-with-covid-19-always-wore-masks/

The study found 74.2% reported wearing masks “always” while 14.5% wore masks “often,” or 85% ;) almost always woremasks.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 08:34:34 AM by Mr. Nielsen »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #613 on: October 16, 2020, 08:35:04 AM »
New CDC Study Finds Majority of Those Infected with COVID-19 ‘Always’ Wore Masks
https://californiaglobe.com/section-2/new-cdc-study-finds-majority-of-those-infected-with-covid-19-always-wore-masks/

The study found 74.2% reported wearing masks “always” while 14.5% wore masks “often,” or 85% ;) almost always woremasks.

Been discussed heavily in the last 3 pages.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #614 on: October 16, 2020, 08:38:52 AM »
Been discussed heavily in the last 3 pages.
My mistake, I don't read what people write on here. Just sniff on the lies.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #615 on: October 16, 2020, 08:45:06 AM »

"COVID-19 Participants reported being at least twice as likely to go to a bar, restaurant, coffee shop"...where...wait for it....wait for it...I said wait for it...still waiting...you can't eat and drink while wearing a mask. And many people in general are not wearing a mask the entire time at the restaurant, at the table before and after eating, while dining outdoors, ...which still isn't good enough because even the best practice people are exposing themselves and others at least part of the time.

And of course we have known for most of the Pandemic that wearing a mask is first and foremost to protect others than yourself, meaning if you are wearing a mask and hanging out at a bar or restaurant or coffee shop or gym etc...where others aren't, your risk goes up.

California Globe is unsurprisingly a Conservative publication.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 08:48:43 AM by shoothoops »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #616 on: October 16, 2020, 08:56:04 AM »
"COVID-19 Participants reported being at least twice as likely to go to a bar, restaurant, coffee shop"...where...wait for it....wait for it...I said wait for it...still waiting...you can't eat and drink while wearing a mask. And many people in general are not wearing a mask the entire time at the restaurant, at the table before and after eating, while dining outdoors, ...which still isn't good enough because even the best practice people are exposing themselves and others at least part of the time.

And of course we have known for most of the Pandemic that wearing a mask is first and foremost to protect others than yourself, meaning if you are wearing a mask and hanging out at a bar or restaurant or coffee shop or gym etc...where others aren't, your risk goes up.

California Globe is unsurprisingly a Conservative publication.

The real story here, IMO, is how certain media outlets are willing to spin a misleading narrative about this report, and therefore discourage people from making healthy decisions, not because they believe masks don't work, but because it serves partisan political interests.
Politics > Lives.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #617 on: October 16, 2020, 08:57:05 AM »
Politics > Lives.

Disgusting, but true.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #618 on: October 16, 2020, 03:27:36 PM »

It’s the CDC!! I’ll believe them about as often as I’ll belive trump. Oh, yeah. All the CDC’s messaging goes through the White House.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #619 on: October 16, 2020, 05:32:17 PM »
  mask or no mask, who knows the exact moment someone picked enough particles to allow for the infection. then there is the asymptomatic and symptomatic infections.  regardless...there are those who take all the precautions in the world and get ill and vice versa, but it seems,  depending on who gets infected, if they aren't on your team, they are treated like they have an STD.  do we treat those who get influenza the same? 

china's amazing numbers-under 100k infections with under 5k deaths...seriously? 
don't...don't don't don't don't

tower912

• All American
« Reply #620 on: October 16, 2020, 06:17:25 PM »
If true, it can be traced to enforcing a shutdown, masks, and distancing.   A government willing to dictate life's minutiae and a society that accepts it.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #621 on: October 16, 2020, 07:27:24 PM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #622 on: October 16, 2020, 09:13:20 PM »
but it seems,  depending on who gets infected, if they aren't on your team, they are treated like they have an STD.  do we treat those who get influenza the same? 

It seems that when the leader of the country spends 8 months lying to Americans, repeatedly says it’s nothing even though he knows it’s “deadly stuff,” mocks those who have the temerity to wear masks, holds deadly superspreader rallies against his own experts’ advice ... and then, just days after claiming “it affects virtually nobody,” he gets infected so badly that he has to be hospitalized ... yes, we treat him worse than “those who get influenza.”

I wasn’t rooting for your emperor to die BTW. The last thing I want is for him to be a martyr.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #623 on: October 17, 2020, 07:53:27 AM »
It seems that when the leader of the country spends 8 months lying to Americans, repeatedly says it’s nothing even though he knows it’s “deadly stuff,” mocks those who have the temerity to wear masks, holds deadly superspreader rallies against his own experts’ advice ... and then, just days after claiming “it affects virtually nobody,” he gets infected so badly that he has to be hospitalized ... yes, we treat him worse than “those who get influenza.”

I wasn’t rooting for your emperor to die BTW. The last thing I want is for him to be a martyr.

you're a lying dog faced pony soldier man, let's do some push ups, come on man!  what we have to do is listen to the science man and number 1, i would get out and ya see it's dignity for all of us, all of us and why the luhan province needs follow the 10 point plan check list and we have to do at least several things, one we have to depend on what the president is going to do right now and first of all we have to tell, ah wait to, umm wait till the cases before anything happens to see what happens  look the whole idea is we gotta get in place the things that were shortages of and if that's not clear you can go on my web site at 30...30..330
don't...don't don't don't don't

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #624 on: October 17, 2020, 07:56:53 AM »
  you're a lying dog faced pony soldier man, let's do some push ups, come on man!  what we have to do is listen to the science man and number 1, i would get out and ya see it's dignity for all of us, all of us and why the luhan province needs follow the 10 point plan check list and we have to do at least several things, one we have to depend on what the president is going to do right now and first of all we have to tell, ah wait to, umm wait till the cases before anything happens to see what happens  look the whole idea is we gotta get in place the things that were shortages of and if that's not clear you can go on my web site at 30...30..330

Was this post made with a random word generator?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow