[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:43:51 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Masks  (Read 179864 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Masks
« Reply #575 on: October 12, 2020, 12:15:06 PM »
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/pdfs/mm6936a5-H.pdf

70% of folks in this CDC study said they always wore masks and an additional 14% said they almost always wore a mask prior to coming down with Covid.  84% of folks in this study were disciplined mask wearers and yet still fell ill with the virus, aside from calling them all liars how could this be?

This exhibits complete ignorance of the purpose of masks. You wear a mask because it greatly limits the chance of you spreading the disease to others, not because it guarantees that you won't get it yourself.
Anti-maskers aren't just dumb. They're selfish.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #576 on: October 12, 2020, 12:15:59 PM »

70% of folks in this CDC study said they always wore masks and an additional 14% said they almost always wore a mask prior to coming down with Covid.  84% of folks in this study were disciplined mask wearers and yet still fell ill with the virus, aside from calling them all liars how could this be?

I know 35 or so people who have contracted COVID.  All of them can point to a time where they were unmasked as to how they got it.  Many before masks were being encouraged, others who refused to wear them and other to lapses in judgement (ie having a contractor in your home and not masking up).
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #577 on: October 12, 2020, 12:18:39 PM »
Mark Meadows storms off and refuses to speak with reporters when they ask him to wear a mask while indoors.
This is why the administration's claims that they've encouraged safety protocols is so much hot air. They model completely opposite behavior and their cult members adherents follow their cues.

https://twitter.com/Yamiche/status/1315687359564976136

MU82

• All American
« Reply #578 on: October 12, 2020, 12:54:42 PM »

As others have said, both Scoopers before me and scientists, masks are most useful at helping OTHERS not get infected by the mask-wearer. So if one likes being a selfish d-bag, don't wear a mask.

Also, even many well-intentioned people wear masks that don't fit right, or they don't keep them pulled over their noses like they are supposed to.

Also, I'm guessing that a lot of people who think they "always" wear masks in public really don't. They take them off when they're at the bar, or at a restaurant, or when they're golfing, etc.

But I'd bet that if two people are both wearing masks, even if they aren't perfect, and they spend a few minutes in close proximity with each other, the likelihood of one catching COVID from the other is very low.

So don't be like President Science Denier and his merry band of Infected Minions. Wear a mask.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #579 on: October 12, 2020, 12:59:30 PM »
This exhibits complete ignorance of the purpose of masks. You wear a mask because it greatly limits the chance of you spreading the disease to others, not because it guarantees that you won't get it yourself.
Anti-maskers aren't just dumb. They're selfish.
Nah, it exhibits the desire to be a disruptive troll.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #580 on: October 12, 2020, 02:03:33 PM »
Beware of self-reported data. 73% of drivers (and 80% of male drivers) claim to be 'above average.'

https://www.businessinsider.com/americans-are-overconfident-in-their-driving-skills-2018-1

🏀

• All American
« Reply #581 on: October 12, 2020, 02:37:21 PM »

Jams, did you read the study or just take the cherry-picked stats making social media rounds today?

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #582 on: October 12, 2020, 04:01:36 PM »

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #583 on: October 12, 2020, 08:55:07 PM »
Jams, did you read the study or just take the cherry-picked stats making social media rounds today?

Read the study, y?  Are my %s off?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #584 on: October 12, 2020, 11:12:17 PM »

It's not that your percentages are wrong, it's that they're cherry-picked to give a misleading impression that masks aren't effective.
What you chose not to mention were the opening paragraphs of the study authors' discussion of their findings. There they wrote:

"In this investigation, participants with and without COVID-19 reported generally similar community exposures, with the exception  of  going  to  locations  with  on-site  eating  and  drinking  options. Adults with confirmed COVID-19 (case-patients) were approximately twice as likely as were control-participants to have reported dining at a restaurant in the 14 days before becoming ill. In addition to dining at a restaurant, case-patients were more likely to report going to a bar/coffee shop, but only when the analysis was restricted to participants without close contact with persons with known COVID-19 before illness onset."

In other words, the study found that those who went to public gathering spots where people don't wear masks - i.e. restaurants and bars - were twice as likely to contract COVID as those who avoid those places.
That sure seems a testament to the efficacy of mask wearing, right?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #585 on: October 13, 2020, 05:42:05 AM »

Maybe look into what Breitbart is tweeting before posting it here.

It makes you look a lot more dense than you actually are.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #586 on: October 13, 2020, 07:42:10 AM »

Posting history brings that into question.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #587 on: October 13, 2020, 10:30:31 AM »
Maybe look into what Breitbart is tweeting before posting it here.

Because I made an accurate post, that yes I saw on twitter (not breitbart but RT) makes me dense?

I’ve always advocated for masks, I and my family wear them whenever outside the home .  I was just surprised to see the data from that study so thought I would throw it out for discussion since I hadn’t seen it brought up on Scoop.  Not much room for decent back and forth discussion on here though.  Thank you to Cheebs for a somewhat reasoned/leveled response.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #588 on: October 13, 2020, 11:53:17 AM »
Because I made an accurate post, that yes I saw on twitter (not breitbart but RT) makes me dense?

I’ve always advocated for masks, I and my family wear them whenever outside the home .  I was just surprised to see the data from that study so thought I would throw it out for discussion since I hadn’t seen it brought up on Scoop.  Not much room for decent back and forth discussion on here though.  Thank you to Cheebs for a somewhat reasoned/leveled response.

> not breitbart but RT

Wants a reasoned discussion. Is posting literal russian propaganda lol

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #589 on: October 13, 2020, 01:28:32 PM »
> not breitbart but RT

Wants a reasoned discussion. Is posting literal russian propaganda lol

I was obviously poking fun at myself for unfortunately choosing to post a link to RT story a few weeks back. 

It was a joke.  I saw it from neither Breitbart nor RT.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #590 on: October 13, 2020, 01:35:56 PM »

Herein lies the problem though.  I saw the same tweet (a friend from MU retweeted it).  Instead of knee jerk re-posting (like she did) because it fits a certain narrative, you could have done a cursory search or read the article. 

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #591 on: October 13, 2020, 02:19:22 PM »
Herein lies the problem though.  I saw the same tweet (a friend from MU retweeted it).  Instead of knee jerk re-posting (like she did) because it fits a certain narrative, you could have done a cursory search or read the article.

I did read it to confirm the data I saw on social media was actually accurate from what the study showed.  The overall findings of the study showing that you are more likely to catch rona if you are spending time in a bar, restaurant, etc is widely known and had been discussed at length here so I didn’t feel like it’d worth rehashing that on Scoop.

The part I found interesting and previously undiscussed was what I posted cause I was genuinely interested in others thoughts as to why.  That’s it.

Wasn’t a post attacking the idea of wearing a mask cause as I’ve stated a hundred times, masks are muy bueno.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #592 on: October 13, 2020, 07:58:45 PM »
   "So don't be like President Science Denier and his merry band of Infected Minions. Wear a mask."

i try to stop by just to see what's happening, but these are the types of posts that make this board tough to read.  come on nads, get to a meeting or something
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU82

• All American
« Reply #593 on: October 13, 2020, 10:51:56 PM »
   "So don't be like President Science Denier and his merry band of Infected Minions. Wear a mask."

i try to stop by just to see what's happening, but these are the types of posts that make this board tough to read.  come on nads, get to a meeting or something

Sorry rocket. From now on, I'll give your emperor all the credit he deserves.

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #594 on: October 14, 2020, 09:57:27 AM »
Sorry rocket. From now on, I'll give your emperor all the credit he deserves.

If this means you won't be posting anymore we'll miss you.  :)

🏀

• All American
« Reply #595 on: October 14, 2020, 10:19:58 AM »
I did read it to confirm the data I saw on social media was actually accurate from what the study showed.  The overall findings of the study showing that you are more likely to catch rona if you are spending time in a bar, restaurant, etc is widely known and had been discussed at length here so I didn’t feel like it’d worth rehashing that on Scoop.

The part I found interesting and previously undiscussed was what I posted cause I was genuinely interested in others thoughts as to why.  That’s it.

Wasn’t a post attacking the idea of wearing a mask cause as I’ve stated a hundred times, masks are muy bueno.

Again, if you read the study the answer is there. Masks are effective in bars and restaurants because they aren't worn. The people that 'always' wear masks have to take them off to eat and drink.

Instead, effing idiots like yourself and all over Facebook run with that 70% like it's the gospel that masks are not effective when the study is not focused on that at all.

Love that the study was posted over a month ago, but only the radical right picked up on it yesterday.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #596 on: October 14, 2020, 10:26:34 AM »
If this means you won't be posting anymore we'll miss you.  :)

Made me laugh ... but alas (or yay, depending upon one's POV), it doesn't mean that!

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #597 on: October 14, 2020, 03:46:24 PM »
Des Moines, Iowa ahead of tonight's Trump rally:

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/1316476489974648841?s=19

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #598 on: October 14, 2020, 04:25:29 PM »
Des Moines, Iowa ahead of tonight's Trump rally:

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/1316476489974648841?s=19

At least people are getting fair warning....

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #599 on: October 14, 2020, 04:48:10 PM »

At least people are getting fair warning....

You’re assuming they can read :-\