[Today at 02:32:03 PM]

Marquette Football Update by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Coach Killings starts Coaches for Action  (Read 20550 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Coach Killings starts Coaches for Action
« on: June 22, 2020, 03:01:45 PM »
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/big-east-assistants-form-coaches-for-action-push-for-black-lives-matter-patches-on-uniforms/amp/

21 assistant coaches from the Big East have formed a group called “Coaches for Action”.

A lot of good ideas here and great to see Coach Killings represent Marquette in such a positive way.  Has full support of the conference
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Coach Killings starts Coaches for Action
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 03:10:36 PM »
Love the idea behind the 3.0 scholarship fund. Sadly the vast majority of MPS, CPS and other BE city schools that aren't the random elite ones will graduate students with a 3.0 and they'll still be extremely unprepared for quality universities that make up the Big East.
Maigh Eo for Sam

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 03:16:35 PM »
Love the idea behind the 3.0 scholarship fund. Sadly the vast majority of MPS, CPS and other BE city schools that aren't the random elite ones will graduate students with a 3.0 and they'll still be extremely unprepared for quality universities that make up the Big East.

At least Marquette has a program (EOP) that they could ramp up to help these students if necessary.  I am not sure if any of the other BEast schools have a similar program.
Have some patience, FFS.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 04:24:46 PM »

At least Marquette has a program (EOP) that they could ramp up to help these students if necessary.  I am not sure if any of the other BEast schools have a similar program.

A few do, but not most. MU is also looking to expand their tutorial program (in planning for the last two years) to help get disadvantaged students up to speed on STEM courses
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 04:35:59 PM »
This is pretty awesome.  Way to go Coach Killings!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 04:45:59 PM »
Way to go, Coach! A very positive way to bring people together for a great cause.

A few fans might not like the patches and other BLM references, but that's life.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 04:52:41 PM »
A few do, but not most. MU is also looking to expand their tutorial program (in planning for the last two years) to help get disadvantaged students up to speed on STEM courses

That's good to hear. If a person has a good academic work ethic I believe they just need the resources to succeed.
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2020, 07:12:10 PM »
This No-Jo has been very, very impressed with the way Wojo, his staff and players have reacted to the civil rights movement following George Floyd's murder.  They are walking the walk.  It's really impressive to see.  My attitude on Wojo has turned a bit.  I have seen some depth to him that I wasn't expecting.   Killings spearheading this task force and the Big East's response has also been fantastic to see. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2020, 08:33:30 PM »
I appreciate the sentiment. However, it is truly misguided. I wish people would stop trying to help people of color by lowering the standard by which we have to compete. We are good enough to make it on our own.

I am older, so I had to earn everything the hard way. I had to get better grades ,and work harder , to overcome what in those days the pundits called prejudice or stereotyping. It was not easy but at the end of the day I was much better off.  I had to suffer through tremendous indignities along the way. Today they call that subtle condescending attitude micro aggression's.  I use to hate the way the country club whites always looked down at me at first blush, but at the end of the day when I made them money that changed their outlook. My experience is that hard work driven success cures most ills.   

I am actually saddened to see what is happening to our country right now. We were making great strides economically and those at the bottom rung of the ladder were finally getting their day in the sun. When unemployment was at record low levels it was opening all kinds of doors that affirmative action could never do. Once this pandemic is over, I hope we can get right back on that track.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2020, 09:03:50 PM »
I appreciate the sentiment. However, it is truly misguided. I wish people would stop trying to help people of color by lowering the standard by which we have to compete. We are good enough to make it on our own.

I am older, so I had to earn everything the hard way. I had to get better grades ,and work harder , to overcome what in those days the pundits called prejudice or stereotyping. It was not easy but at the end of the day I was much better off.  I had to suffer through tremendous indignities along the way. Today they call that subtle condescending attitude micro aggression's.  I use to hate the way the country club whites always looked down at me at first blush, but at the end of the day when I made them money that changed their outlook. My experience is that hard work driven success cures most ills.   

I am actually saddened to see what is happening to our country right now. We were making great strides economically and those at the bottom rung of the ladder were finally getting their day in the sun. When unemployment was at record low levels it was opening all kinds of doors that affirmative action could never do. Once this pandemic is over, I hope we can get right back on that track.
With you all the way here HC.  Hopefully we can get to those pre-Covid days.  If not, hopefully we can all work together for our common good.  Not going to be easy, but we all have to work o it whatever race or creed or whatever. 

mufvr

• Walk-On
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2020, 09:33:06 PM »
Strong statement by HC.  While I respect Coach Killings efforts and am confident they are made with the best intentions, I think care should be exercised by his group and the conference.  Allingning themselves with BLM is politicizing the team and that will alienate some of the fan base.  I don't believe that too many people understand the tenets of BLM; they are very political and go way beyond racial equalities, which are a justified cause. 

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2020, 09:34:51 PM »

Most impressive post I have seen on this forum in A LONG TIME.  Thank you, Herman! 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2020, 10:00:32 PM »
I don't believe that too many people understand the tenets of BLM; they are very political and go way beyond racial equalities, which are a justified cause.

This.

I support the sentiment “Black Lives Matter”

I support the phrase “Black Lives Matter”

But I’m suspicious of organizations or political movements in general, and BLM (the organization/movement), especially given some of its history, is no exception. If we’re honoring or even supporting a political movement on our basketball uniforms I think it’s a mistake. The fact that the idea comes from a well meaning desire to make a statement doesn’t change that IMO.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2020, 10:30:20 PM »
One of the reasons I choose Marquette is because making political statements in the name of social justice is a huge part of its history. To criticize this is to criticize Jesuit teachings and what it means to be an alum of Marquette. I applaud what Coach Killings is doing here as well as the statements and actions from the rest of the coaches and players. My personal favorite:

https://twitter.com/Theojohn123/status/1268335482305425413

We are about change. If you can’t support us here. I ask you Please don’t support us on the court. #mubb #BlackLivesMatter
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mufvr

• Walk-On
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2020, 10:32:04 PM »
A few of the facts about BLM and why affliiating the team with this organization should matter:

Their founders describe themselves as "trained marxists".  Four of their primary objectives: disrupting the western "nuclear traditional family structure", immediately removing Trump from office, reparations due to slavery and retention of all non-American convicted criminals in the U.S. and bringing those that were deported back to the U.S.  All of this and other information is publicized on their website and other posts. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2020, 10:46:53 PM »
Great work by DK.

The rest ... ::)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2020, 10:51:59 PM »
A few of the facts about BLM and why affliiating the team with this organization should matter:

Their founders describe themselves as "trained marxists".  Four of their primary objectives: disrupting the western "nuclear traditional family structure", immediately removing Trump from office, reparations due to slavery and retention of all non-American convicted criminals in the U.S. and bringing those that were deported back to the U.S.  All of this and other information is publicized on their website and other posts.

I hope you understand that there is a difference between the organization Black Lives Matter and the Black Lives Matter movement and that Marquette is supporting the latter, not the former.
TAMU

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2020, 11:05:40 PM »
There’s a simple solution for those who don’t like it. Find another program to be a fan of. Our players and coaches, most of whom are black, are speaking up. I’ll trust that the players and coaches who entertain me and have to deal with things in their day to day life that I don’t because of their skin pigmentation are supporting the cause for a reason.

Good for Coach Killings. Good for MU. Instead of being outraged that our coaches or players are supporting an extremist group, maybe listen and you’ll understand what they’re really supporting. I’ve seen plenty of white people with BLM signs, shirts, and chanting BLM. Maybe they’re all trying to disrupt the western nuclear family tradition. People want peaceful protests. Then when they get peaceful protests they claim they’re doing it wrong.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 11:08:34 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2020, 11:15:59 PM »
I hope you understand that there is a difference between the organization Black Lives Matter and the Black Lives Matter movement and that Marquette is supporting the latter, not the former.

I’m going to show my ignorance on this subject, TAMU. My experience has always been that an organization and a movement of the same name are connected and that the movement is in sync with the organizations goals and purposes. I had no idea that the BLM organization had nothing to do with and was totally separate from the BLM movement. And that Marquette had made it clear it was in no way, shape or form in support of the organization but only in support of the movement. Please link Marquette’s statement that clarifies this. Thanks in advance.

mufvr

• Walk-On
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2020, 11:44:33 PM »
I think and hope that all of us support the notion that we should all be treated equal, regardless of our skin color.  But to stamp the label on our uniforms of an organization whose members march down the street chanting "pigs in a blanket, fry them like bacon" is highly offensive.  I seriously doubt that many people understand who the founders of BLM are and what their motives are.  Turn on TV and watch the carniage that's occurring and you willl also notice the BLM is not ashamed to be in the forefront of that.  Racial equality is a just and noble cause.  Unfortunately, BLM stands for a lot more than that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2020, 11:45:01 PM »

I am looking right at the BLM website and I don't see any of the "scary black people" stuff you are trying to portray.

For example, what you shortened to disrupting the western "nuclear traditional family structure," actually is this:

We disrupt the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement by supporting each other as extended families and “villages” that collectively care for one another, especially our children, to the degree that mothers, parents, and children are comfortable.

In other words, they reject being looked down upon just because they might not fit YOUR definition of what a family has to be, and they aim to support everybody in their community. If you don't see the difference between what you were suggesting and what they actually say, that's on you.

Here is the entirety of their "marxist" platform:

The Black Lives Matter Global Network is as powerful as it is because of our membership, our partners, our supporters, our staff, and you. Our continued commitment to liberation for all Black people means we are continuing the work of our ancestors and fighting for our collective freedom because it is our duty.

Every day, we recommit to healing ourselves and each other, and to co-creating alongside comrades, allies, and family a culture where each person feels seen, heard, and supported.

We acknowledge, respect, and celebrate differences and commonalities.

We work vigorously for freedom and justice for Black people and, by extension, all people.

We intentionally build and nurture a beloved community that is bonded together through a beautiful struggle that is restorative, not depleting.

We are unapologetically Black in our positioning. In affirming that Black Lives Matter, we need not qualify our position. To love and desire freedom and justice for ourselves is a prerequisite for wanting the same for others.

We see ourselves as part of the global Black family, and we are aware of the different ways we are impacted or privileged as Black people who exist in different parts of the world.

We are guided by the fact that all Black lives matter, regardless of actual or perceived sexual identity, gender identity, gender expression, economic status, ability, disability, religious beliefs or disbeliefs, immigration status, or location.

We make space for transgender brothers and sisters to participate and lead.

We are self-reflexive and do the work required to dismantle cisgender privilege and uplift Black trans folk, especially Black trans women who continue to be disproportionately impacted by trans-antagonistic violence.

We build a space that affirms Black women and is free from sexism, misogyny, and environments in which men are centered.

We practice empathy. We engage comrades with the intent to learn about and connect with their contexts.

We make our spaces family-friendly and enable parents to fully participate with their children. We dismantle the patriarchal practice that requires mothers to work “double shifts” so that they can mother in private even as they participate in public justice work.

We disrupt the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement by supporting each other as extended families and “villages” that collectively care for one another, especially our children, to the degree that mothers, parents, and children are comfortable.

We foster a queer‐affirming network. When we gather, we do so with the intention of freeing ourselves from the tight grip of heteronormative thinking, or rather, the belief that all in the world are heterosexual (unless s/he or they disclose otherwise).

We cultivate an intergenerational and communal network free from ageism. We believe that all people, regardless of age, show up with the capacity to lead and learn.

We embody and practice justice, liberation, and peace in our engagements with one another.

Yep, that is a real radical outfit! They actually want justice, liberation and peace? They want their women to be treated with respect? They want equal rights for gay and transgender people, religious people and atheists, and old people?

What a bunch of thugs!

Have individual members of the organization said and/or done some bad things? I don't know enough about them, but I wouldn't doubt they have. Which makes them different from members of many other organizations ... how?

I mean, the current presidential administration includes several people who have stated they are looking forward to the End Times. That's a lot more scary to me.

The next thing you know these BLM folks will be threatening to use the military against peacefully protesting Americans, encouraging the police to use violence whenever they have the opportunity, and using political rallies to champion confederate traitors who were fighting for the right to own slaves.

Oh wait ... those aren't Black Lives Matter leaders ... that's the supposed leader of our nation. And that's really effen scary.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Superfan

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2020, 12:02:32 AM »
Alicia Garza is one of the founders of BLM who boasted that she and her co-founders are trained marxists.  She also said one of its goals is the removal of President Trump from office.  “Trump not only needs to not be in office in November, but he should resign now,” Black Lives Matter Global Network co-founder Patrisse Cullors told CNN’s Jake Tapper on Friday. “Trump needs to be out of office. He is not fit for office. And so, what we are going to push for is a move to get Trump out.”

You obviously dislike Trump and that's your right.  Go vote in November.  But half of the country disagrees with you.  I agree that we should be careful who we/our team publicly embraces.  BLM markets themselves with a justified cause but when you dig deeper into the organization there's some bad stuff there.  If MU or any team wants to climb into the political field then be prepared to pay the consequences.  Personally, I get sick of all the divisiveness in society and the identity politics.  I enjoy watching sports.  If sports teams want to get political they will turn off, and probably lose, a lot of their fans.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2020, 12:03:09 AM »
I’m going to show my ignorance on this subject, TAMU. My experience has always been that an organization and a movement of the same name are connected and that the movement is in sync with the organizations goals and purposes. I had no idea that the BLM organization had nothing to do with and was totally separate from the BLM movement. And that Marquette had made it clear it was in no way, shape or form in support of the organization but only in support of the movement. Please link Marquette’s statement that clarifies this. Thanks in advance.

I know your being sarcastic but I'll choose to give a serious response. Nowhere did I say "it had nothing to do with or was totally separate." The organization is one of dozens (hundreds?) of organizations and thousands (millions?) of private citizens who make up a movement that believes in ending police brutality against black people. The Black Lives Matter organization is the most recognizable entity in the movement because they were the ones that came up with the hashtag back in 2013. When businesses, sports teams, students, etc post #blacklivesmember or wear BLM craps or go to BLM protests, maybe a select few (I'd guess less than 0.25%) are making the statement that they are "trained marxists" who want to "disrupt the western nuclear traditional family structure". The vast majority of them are expressing support for the crazy idea that police who kill and/or brutalize black people should be held accountable.

You don't have to agree. You don't have to like it. But our student athletes and coaches have made it pretty clear where they stand. And if you believe that supporting the BLM movement is wrong because it is associated with the BLM organization, I suggest finding another team because by that logic, supporting our team also means supporting the BLM movement.

I don't know if you are religious person or not but if you are, when I reflect on the New Testament and how Jesus is portrayed, I see a champion for the oppressed. Someone who stood up for those pushed to the margins of society: women, foreigners, the disabled, the impoverished. I have to imagine that if Jesus were walking among us today, he would be walking with the BLM protesters rather than those opposing them or even those turning up their noses at them.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2020, 12:15:14 AM »
I think and hope that all of us support the notion that we should all be treated equal, regardless of our skin color.  But to stamp the label on our uniforms of an organization whose members march down the street chanting "pigs in a blanket, fry them like bacon" is highly offensive.  I seriously doubt that many people understand who the founders of BLM are and what their motives are.  Turn on TV and watch the carniage that's occurring and you willl also notice the BLM is not ashamed to be in the forefront of that.  Racial equality is a just and noble cause.  Unfortunately, BLM stands for a lot more than that.

So because of the bad acts of a few in a movement of millions, we should disenfranchise the entire group?

Should Marquette disaffiliate from the Catholic Church given the systematic cover up of pedophilia by the church?

Should the democratic party be eliminated because of their historical ties with the KKK? Should the Republican party be eliminated because of their more recent ties with the KKK?

Should we dismantle our country given the numerous acts of genocide committed against indigenous peoples and our participation in the institution of slavery?

These are extreme examples, but I refuse to accept the idea that a movement or a protest, or an organization must be perfect in order to be accepted. The same tactics were used on MLK in the 1960s. People tried to disenfranchise his movement because of MLK's views on Vientam or because of mistakes MLK himself had made in his life. It's an effective tactic but don't let it distract you from what's important.
TAMU

kryza

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2020, 12:25:48 AM »

This thread is gonna get locked isn't it? I'm seriously considering cancelling my season tickets over this and leaning heavily towards yes if they do. I would not feel good with myself knowing I'm helping increase the BLM brand and therefore directly be responsible for promoting Marxism. The organization most definitely lives off the fact that people don't realize there is a difference and I'm not going to personally help them. More power to anyone that does though, it's up to you who you want to support. Same with me.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 12:35:08 AM by kryza »

feedback