[Today at 01:56:18 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MUbiz
[Today at 12:09:25 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Coach Killings starts Coaches for Action  (Read 20519 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Coach Killings starts Coaches for Action
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2020, 09:59:24 AM »
I’d encourage people who haven’t to attend at least one march.  It’s been awesome to see people from all walks of life come together for a common goal.  It’s also been awesome that the organizers have planned marches from the inner city into the suburbs.  They need to be heard.  And that’s resulted in people joining them that wouldn’t go out of their way to join them otherwise.

+100

Completely spot on. Needs to be experienced to be understood.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2020, 09:59:51 AM »
Can we please stop with the absolute BS about "don't make this political"? Racism is not and should never be a political issue. Valuing human life is not a human issue.

If your response to BLM is "oh, the POLITICS of it all" then maybe you need to take a good long look in the mirror and think about what you really believe in. The people that believe systemic racism is a "political" problem are the ones that feel threatened because they are tying their politics to that racism. If racism is your politics, that's the real problem.

And for all the praise of HC's post, it justifies implicit racism:

An individual's value and simply being treated as an equal human being shouldn't require one to prove they are a monetary asset first. That's a clear problem of systemic racism. And the bolded is a lie. It doesn't "cure most ills" it reinforces them as acceptable.

I love what Dwayne Killings is doing and I love how he is helping Marquette figure prominently on the right side of history. And like Theo John said, "If you can't support us here, I ask you please don't support us on the court."

Except it absolutely is political in my opinion. Unless you think the solution lies in more HR training seminars and more individuals being nice to each other (not that that would be a bad thing). But systemic issues need to address the system, or nothing will change in any meaningful/substantive way. So it has to be political.

Anyone saying "don't make this political" is really just saying "please do not make me reflect upon the fact that my political stances potentially prop up racist systems."

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2020, 10:45:14 AM »

At least Marquette has a program (EOP) that they could ramp up to help these students if necessary.  I am not sure if any of the other BEast schools have a similar program.

Most if not all colleges already have a minority first generation program.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2020, 11:04:05 AM »
#BLM

duanewade

• Team Captain
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2020, 11:21:51 AM »
I can't believe Marquette and the Big East are working against the best interest of so many of their athletes and students.  The far left wing BLM organization and their agenda is in direct conflict with so many prominent people of color including:
Herschel Walker
Daryl Strawberry
Candace Owens
Brandon Tatum
Katrina Pierson
Doreen Borelli
David Harris Junior
David Webb
Sen. Tim Scott
Dr. Ben Carson
Col Allen West
Larry Elder
Diamond and Silk
Dinesh D'Souza
Kanye West
Dr. Shiva
Thomas Sowell
etc., etc.

Why would the Big East and Marquette work against these people of color who have been working vehemently to change the cycle of poverty that they blame on the same policies/party that control all the country's inner cities. 

I in turn will be voting with my dollars and not supporting either Marquette or the Big East until they start to support all people with just policies that foster prosperity and freedom for all. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2020, 11:29:17 AM »
^This guy listed a felon who isn't black as one of the great Americans and wants to be taken seriously.
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2020, 11:37:27 AM »
I can't believe Marquette and the Big East are working against the best interest of so many of their athletes and students.  The far left wing BLM organization and their agenda is in direct conflict with so many prominent people of color including:
Herschel Walker
Daryl Strawberry
Candace Owens
Brandon Tatum
Katrina Pierson
Doreen Borelli
David Harris Junior
David Webb
Sen. Tim Scott
Dr. Ben Carson
Col Allen West
Larry Elder
Diamond and Silk
Dinesh D'Souza
Kanye West
Dr. Shiva
Thomas Sowell
etc., etc.

Why would the Big East and Marquette work against these people of color who have been working vehemently to change the cycle of poverty that they blame on the same policies/party that control all the country's inner cities. 

I in turn will be voting with my dollars and not supporting either Marquette or the Big East until they start to support all people with just policies that foster prosperity and freedom for all. 

If this means you will no longer be posting to Scoop, I think you are making the right decision. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2020, 11:40:43 AM »
As we move forward in our nation, young African-American athletes are beginning to understand their worth and value.  Universities and conferences that are ahead of the curve will be the ones that benefit.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2020, 11:57:26 AM »

If this means you will no longer be posting to Scoop, I think you are making the right decision.

+1
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2020, 12:02:21 PM »
You can do what you want.  Just like the players can do what they want.  And the coaches can.  And they can support what they want or who they want, too!  That’s the freaking point lol.  While you’re crying about supporting the wrong movement, you’re also crying that somebody tells you you’re supporting the wrong team then.  Do you not see that?  It’s perfectly fine for you to tell other people who/what they should be supporting, but you get butthurt the second someone tells you that maybe your support should be shifted elsewhere.  Lenny’s way or the highway, boys.

The team can support BLM.  If that upsets you, you can support a different team.  That’s life.

Total misrepresentation of what I posted. It’s what you do.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2020, 12:08:16 PM »
Except it absolutely is political in my opinion. Unless you think the solution lies in more HR training seminars and more individuals being nice to each other (not that that would be a bad thing). But systemic issues need to address the system, or nothing will change in any meaningful/substantive way. So it has to be political.

Anyone saying "don't make this political" is really just saying "please do not make me reflect upon the fact that my political stances potentially prop up racist systems."

Can you explain this like I'm 5? How is being against racism a political issue?

In my head, it would be like saying being against murder is a political issue.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2020, 12:13:00 PM »
Total misrepresentation of what I posted. It’s what you do.

Good idea to back down.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2020, 12:13:41 PM »

Yes, I am sure the Civil Rights Act of 1964 had nothing to do with integration in the SEC.  The Blacks just started working harder and were accepted.

Honestly the way some people try to whitewash history is something else.

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 was promulgated in early July. The first African American basketball players in the SEC were Perry Wallace of Vanderbilt and Henry Harris of Auburn in 1966.

It was not until the 1970s that the SEC fully integrated. One of the moments that changed things was in 1971, when Ray Mears and the Tennessee Volunteers came to Milwaukee for a game against us. Mears brought his lily white team to play MU, which was integrated with Jim Chones, Dean Meminger, "Sugar" Frazier and Bob Lackey. It was 12-0 before Tennessee managed to cross the mid-court line, because of Marquette swarming, full-court pressure, quickness and agility. We won 56-30 and it could have been 100-30 if Marquette had turned up the throttle.

The next year, we went to Knoxville. Mears began recruiting African-Americans and took us into double overtime before losing 84-82.

Other than Kentucky, nobody in the SEC was any good until they stopped discriminating on the basis of skin color. Teams saw what more open-minded schools like UCLA, North Carolina, Marquette, Kansas and San Francisco had done and thought many of the great ballplayers from the south should stay closer to home than Milwaukee or Los Angeles.

• All American
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2020, 12:40:30 PM »
The Civil Rights Act of 1964 was promulgated in early July. The first African American basketball players in the SEC were Perry Wallace of Vanderbilt and Henry Harris of Auburn in 1966.

It was not until the 1970s that the SEC fully integrated. One of the moments that changed things was in 1971, when Ray Mears and the Tennessee Volunteers came to Milwaukee for a game against us. Mears brought his lily white team to play MU, which was integrated with Jim Chones, Dean Meminger, "Sugar" Frazier and Bob Lackey. It was 12-0 before Tennessee managed to cross the mid-court line, because of Marquette swarming, full-court pressure, quickness and agility. We won 56-30 and it could have been 100-30 if Marquette had turned up the throttle.

The next year, we went to Knoxville. Mears began recruiting African-Americans and took us into double overtime before losing 84-82.

Nice story but a bunch of innaccuracies.

Marquette played Tennessee at the Arena in December of 1972.  Tennessee already had a Black player at the time.  (Larry Robinson)  The next year Marquette did go to Tennessee but they won - against a team that had two Black players.  Both freshmen who rarely played. 

While Robinson was their first Black player, UT already had a number of Black football players at the time and signed Spencer Haywood to play basketball in the late 1960s but he failed to qualify academically.

Marquette had little to do with Tennessee's integration as a basketball program.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2020, 12:46:33 PM »

See ya. Enjoy your team from Madison.

Black Lives Matter. We Are Marquette!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jt92

• Starter
« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2020, 01:18:26 PM »
As I learned throughout my catholic upbringing we are ALL God’s children.  So when someone says all lives matter I believe that is what Marquette should stand for. We should be forgiving the sins of the past and reaching out to our brethren to make sure we treat all people with the dignity and respect. Now people are considered racist for believing such a thing.  Marquette should be commended for programs such as EOP instead it doesn’t go far enough because it doesn’t get the attention it needs to prove the university is not racist.  As a son of a minority who had to overcome obstacles in his life to provide for his family I take exception to the notion that you can’t do things because of your skin color.... but that’s what the underlying message of BLM is...with an objective so vague that it will linger without end.  Wearing BLM on jerseys may make some people feel good, but in reality does more to divide than to make people equal.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2020, 01:25:59 PM »

Nice story but a bunch of innaccuracies.

Marquette played Tennessee at the Arena in December of 1972.  Tennessee already had a Black player at the time.  (Larry Robinson)  The next year Marquette did go to Tennessee but they won - against a team that had two Black players.  Both freshmen who rarely played. 

While Robinson was their first Black player, UT already had a number of Black football players at the time and signed Spencer Haywood to play basketball in the late 1960s but he failed to qualify academically.

Marquette had little to do with Tennessee's integration as a basketball program.

Failed to qualify academically at the University of Tennessee? C'mon Fluff, did you ever live in Tennessee? Anyone with a discernible brain wave could have entered the University of Tennessee at that time. Literally anyone. You needed a 16 on the ACT and a Tennessee high school degree to get in. You might not have lasted, but you could get in. If Spencer Haywood could not get into UT, well, I don't think it was intellectual capability! Especially given the intellectual capacity of more than a few of their football players -- regardless of race -- over the past five decades!

One -- and I mean one -- African-American ballplayer in 1971. Even Vanderbilt did better than that! Say what you want, but the fact is that night in Milwaukee was incredibly embarrassing to Mears, who supposedly was one of the more respected SEC coaches at the time. Was it the only reason he recruited two African American athletes at UT? Maybe not, but it sure helped push the ball down the road.

As for football, that's a different world. I watched Vanderbilt football growing up and I couldn't tell who played whom. The players I saw were Orange, Red, Crimson, Blue, Gold and Black. I do know that one of the pioneers among African American football players in the mid 1970s was Conridge Hollaway, who quarterbacked the Vols. That was huge in the south and a game changer.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2020, 01:31:12 PM »
As I learned throughout my catholic upbringing we are ALL God’s children.  So when someone says all lives matter I believe that is what Marquette should stand for. We should be forgiving the sins of the past and reaching out to our brethren to make sure we treat all people with the dignity and respect. Now people are considered racist for believing such a thing.  Marquette should be commended for programs such as EOP instead it doesn’t go far enough because it doesn’t get the attention it needs to prove the university is not racist.  As a son of a minority who had to overcome obstacles in his life to provide for his family I take exception to the notion that you can’t do things because of your skin color.... but that’s what the underlying message of BLM is...with an objective so vague that it will linger without end.  Wearing BLM on jerseys may make some people feel good, but in reality does more to divide than to make people equal.

Regarding this all lives matter statement. The term black lives matter implies that they as black individuals are forgotten and matter too. America is a white society the expectation is white lives matter, the response is Black lives matter too.

Nobody has says someone can't do something because of their skin. There is institutional racism and leftover effects of previous generations from things like redlining. Seriously if you live in a once redlined suburb is it any wonder your schools are great and that property values kept rising while they dropped due to white flight in other areas thus making smaller budgets for schools? That then puts the students at a disadvantage to move up in the world even once everything is made "equal"

If the term divides people then they're too wrapped up in the "what about me" mindset to understand what the movement means
Maigh Eo for Sam

• All American
« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2020, 01:34:28 PM »

OK, I am going to address this in a way that I hope will be helpful.  Black lives matter is hardly meant to exclude.  It is meant to draw attention to systemic racism.  Everyone should be in favor of that!  And everyone should be happy to proclaim that.

Of course all lives matter.  No one really says they don't.  But when people say that in reaction to "black lives matter," it serves to minimize what black lives matter stands for.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2020, 01:58:04 PM »
Herschel Walker
Daryl Strawberry
Candace Owens
Brandon Tatum
Katrina Pierson
Doreen Borelli
David Harris Junior
David Webb
Sen. Tim Scott
Dr. Ben Carson
Col Allen West
Larry Elder
Diamond and Silk
Dinesh D'Souza
Kanye West
Dr. Shiva
Thomas Sowell
etc., etc.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!  You got me.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2020, 02:02:40 PM »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2020, 02:06:41 PM »

All lives don't matter until Black lives matter.

Get it?

If you can't say Black lives matter, then you're saying all lives don't matter.

This isn't hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2020, 02:17:28 PM »
"It's Breast Cancer Awareness Month."

"To hell with that! All cancers matter!"
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

joparks

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2020, 02:20:21 PM »

OK, I am going to address this in a way that I hope will be helpful.  Black lives matter is hardly meant to exclude.  It is meant to draw attention to systemic racism.  Everyone should be in favor of that!  And everyone should be happy to proclaim that.

Of course all lives matter.  No one really says they don't.  But when people say that in reaction to "black lives matter," it serves to minimize what black lives matter stands for.

So perhaps you can provide some examples of the programs that the trained Marxists who started BLM are proposing to eliminate what you call systemic racism?  Are their any laws currently on the books now that racially favor one group of U.S. Citizens over another? 

My problem here is that everyone on this board has no problem with the idea of equal justice under the law.  Many people here attempt to treat everyone in society with respect.  JT92 is right with the statement of BLM's objective which is intentionally vague.  It will never cease because the true intentions of the BLM movement and that of the Marxists who founded it are to divide this country and people.  Only through division can they succeed.  The "you're either with us or against us" mantra has to go.  One can support black lives while also supporting all lives and one can support equal justice under the law without supporting factions (Maxists) who's intent is to subvert our rule of law and take away our liberty and way of life.   

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2020, 02:22:59 PM »

Saying Black Lives Matters does not mean some other lives don't matter.  All lives can't matter until black lives matter.  You're living with your head in the sand if you don't think a person's skin color changes their life experiences.