[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Racism at Talladega  (Read 12296 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Racism at Talladega
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2020, 08:57:29 AM »
I know this is only tangentially related to your point, but I have seen more stars and bars than I would have expected prior to moving to CT.  Just reinforces that we all have a problem here...its not just the cities, the south or fill in your personal location.

Part of me wonders if this is the result of families moving all over the country. I mean to southerners whose families have been in the states since the mid 1800s or even earlier I'm sure to them it's no different than an Irish flag or Italian flag hanging outside your door/bumper sticker/tattoo. Doesn't make it less racist or change the connotation around it but maybe that's why you see it around the northern states now.

My other theory is that people who live in more country towns identify the confederate flag as more of a flag showing country pride to separate themselves of the majority of city & suburban individuals around the country. 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 09:00:27 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2020, 09:00:14 AM »
Part of me wonders if this is the result of families moving all over the country. I mean to southerners whose families have been in the states since the mid 1800s or even earlier I'm sure to them it's no different than an Irish flag or Italian flag hanging outside your door/bumper sticker/tattoo. Doesn't make it less racist or change the connotation around it but maybe that's why you see it around the northern states now.

The individual living across the street from my inlaws doesnt fit into this bucket.  It's more what MUFan referenced.

Conversely on topic, the racing culture here, particularly in northern CT, southern Mass into NH is rabid.  Moreso than some places in the south where I've lived. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2020, 09:02:28 AM »
The individual living across the street from my inlaws doesnt fit into this bucket.  It's more what MUFan referenced.

Conversely on topic, the racing culture here, particularly in northern CT, southern Mass into NH is rabid.  Moreso than some places in the south where I've lived.

Hmm well it was just a theory to give the benefit of the doubt. And yeah I dated a girl from Dorchester in Boston for years and her family was unbelievably racist so I fully believe it when you say it's bad in those areas.
Maigh Eo for Sam

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2020, 09:34:04 AM »
Hmm well it was just a theory to give the benefit of the doubt. And yeah I dated a girl from Dorchester in Boston for years and her family was unbelievably racist so I fully believe it when you say it's bad in those areas.

Um, yeah.  You are too young to remember when they integrated Boston schools, but that was about as horrible a display of outright racism as I have ever seen, and I grew up in Tennessee.
Have some patience, FFS.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2020, 12:00:18 PM »
Point of order, the primary flag that people think with the Confederacy is not the stars and bars(that was the national flag of the Confederacy). It is the Confederate Battle Flag and/or flag of the Army of Northern Virginia(Army that Lee eventually commanded).
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2020, 12:09:03 PM »
Point of order, the primary flag that people think with the Confederacy is not the stars and bars(that was the national flag of the Confederacy). It is the Confederate Battle Flag and/or flag of the Army of Northern Virginia(Army that Lee eventually commanded).

Ah, you mean the flag that Georgia simply added a state seal to and called it a day is the actual flag of the Confederacy?  And this flag was adopted in 2003?

At this point, the FotANV is the true symbol of the traitorous past that racists use as a beacon that shines a light their bigotry.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2020, 01:06:21 PM »
Um, yeah.  You are too young to remember when they integrated Boston schools, but that was about as horrible a display of outright racism as I have ever seen, and I grew up in Tennessee.

It's still bad. Just read the comments from black MLB players. Torii Hunter had a no-trade clause to Boston because of the racism.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2020, 05:06:39 PM »
Well, I had a feeling this was going to end like Jussie Smollett since it just seemed to perfect.

Apparently it was half true.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2020, 05:24:01 PM »
Someone want to explain in small sentences why there was a rope in a noose "shape" in the garage at any point in time?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2020, 05:25:09 PM »
"The FBI has completed its investigation at Talladega Superspeedway and determined that Bubba Wallace was not the target of a hate crime. The FBI report concludes, and photographic evidence confirms, that the garage door pull rope fashioned like a noose had been positioned there since as early as last fall. This was obviously well before the 43 team's arrival and garage assignment. We appreciate the FBI's quick and thorough investigation and are thankful to learn that this was not an intentional, racist act against Bubba. We remain steadfast in our commitment to providing a welcoming and inclusive environment for all who love racing."
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2020, 05:28:57 PM »
Did I hear this right?  Apparently Wallace didn’t see it or report it. It was a NASCAR official that did.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2020, 05:33:46 PM »
Someone want to explain in small sentences why there was a rope in a noose "shape" in the garage at any point in time?
To open the door it was attached to?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2020, 06:15:18 PM »
One interesting thing about the South, they refuse to believe they lost the Civil War.

William Faulkner would find that amusing

Death on call

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2020, 06:15:33 PM »
Well, I had a feeling this was going to end like Jussie Smollett since it just seemed to perfect.

Apparently it was half true.

So you're saying bubba faked the whole thing?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2020, 06:21:37 PM »
A very illuminating distinction is paying attention to people who are using this as an opportunity to slam Bubba Wallace.

Or commenting on the “dog and pony show” or whatever stupid name they give the show of solidarity yesterday.

Instead of being relieved that it may not be as deliberate and heinous of a racist act, it’s being used as a springboard for “everyone is overreacting to racism, snowflakes”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2020, 06:40:40 PM »
Nothing like Smollett. Nothing.

But this does give racists cover to come out of the woodwork now.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2020, 06:53:42 PM »
A very illuminating distinction is paying attention to people who are using this as an opportunity to slam Bubba Wallace.

Or commenting on the “dog and pony show” or whatever stupid name they give the show of solidarity yesterday.

Instead of being relieved that it may not be as deliberate and heinous of a racist act, it’s being used as a springboard for “everyone is overreacting to racism, snowflakes”

That's my great fear about this outcome.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2020, 07:00:01 PM »
So you're saying bubba faked the whole thing?

Where did I ever say that?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2020, 07:08:34 PM »
Where did I ever say that?

When you said you had a feeling that it would end like Jussie Smollett.
Have some patience, FFS.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2020, 07:10:01 PM »
That's my great fear about this outcome.

your "greatest fear"??  seriously?  drama much?  my greatest fear is what just happened.  everyone jumped to concusions until the whole story was out and if anyone even dared to question it...well we all know how that goes. 

nads, as a former "journalist" you should know better
don't...don't don't don't don't

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2020, 07:11:22 PM »
When you said you had a feeling that it would end like Jussie Smollett.

I said I had my suspecions about that. It all seemed to be to perfect, like Smollett.

I then stated it was half true, since a Nascar official freaked over a simple pull rope.

Never once did I say Wallace went and planted it, and then claimed it was a noose. I said it was very suspicious it would happen.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2020, 07:13:02 PM »
your "greatest fear"??  seriously?  drama much?  my greatest fear is what just happened.  everyone jumped to concusions until the whole story was out and if anyone even dared to question it...well we all know how that goes. 

Yes. Because now some will use this an an example/excuse to undercut real/serious issues that exist

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2020, 07:13:54 PM »
I said I had my suspecions about that. It all seemed to be to perfect, like Smollett.

I then stated it was half true, since a Nascar official freaked over a simple pull rope.

Never once did I say Wallace went and planted it, and then claimed it was a noose. I said it was very suspicious it would happen.

Jayce you should choose your words more carefully.  Smollette faked it.  You implied it was half faked with the words you used. I am sure you didn’t mean to imply this but it is very easy to come to the conclusion above with the words you chose

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2020, 07:14:33 PM »

Uhhhh...your greatest fear was that it was a misunderstanding and not a deliberate act???  😳😳😳
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 07:24:14 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2020, 07:22:27 PM »
I’m getting the popcorn out for the remainder of this thread.