[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Racism at Talladega  (Read 12297 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Racism at Talladega
« Reply #125 on: June 25, 2020, 02:47:49 PM »
He's still relevant?

He spoke at Floyd funeral service. He has his own show on MSNBC. He’s a regular contributor there and on other networks. So, yeah.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #126 on: June 25, 2020, 02:51:20 PM »
He spoke at Floyd funeral service. He has his own show on MSNBC. He’s a regular contributor there and on other networks. So, yeah.

So who are his minions on Scoop?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #127 on: June 25, 2020, 03:01:51 PM »
Reverend Al still isn’t satisfied that Bubba wasn’t assigned garage #4 (or 14, can’t remember) by racists who knew the garage pull was fashioned as a noose. And until that unprovable can be proven (impossible) he’s not satisfied. I can’t say I’ve seen anyone here make the reverend’s exact argument, but the logic/methodology he uses is sure familiar.

BTW, I’m certainly not referring to you, Pakuni, Tower or anyone else interested in having honest conversations on complex problems.

I don't "hate" Al Sharpton, but I'm no fan. He has a long history of anti-Semitism, for one thing. And he often has knee-jerk reactions to things. I have never watched even one second of his MSNBC show, nor do I see why I ever would. I have heard him interviewed; I've liked some things he's said and disliked others. He is passionate about trying to curtail systemic racism.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #128 on: June 25, 2020, 03:04:14 PM »
Still a grand slam in my opinion. Noose was hung in October 2019. Undoubtedly, several people saw it, used it, left it, and said nothing. The fact that a white driver brought it up in a sport that has been home to racist behaviors is fantastic. We should not be celebrating that it was hung in 2019 instead of this past week and not directed at Bubba. We should be celebrating that a racist, violent symbol was finally addressed, removed, and the drivers made a symbolic statement. Things are a changing.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #129 on: June 25, 2020, 03:18:38 PM »
Still a grand slam in my opinion. Noose was hung in October 2019. Undoubtedly, several people saw it, used it, left it, and said nothing. The fact that a white driver brought it up in a sport that has been home to racist behaviors is fantastic. We should not be celebrating that it was hung in 2019 instead of this past week and not directed at Bubba. We should be celebrating that a racist, violent symbol was finally addressed, removed, and the drivers made a symbolic statement. Things are a changing.

Very nice sentiment, and a solid point.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #130 on: June 25, 2020, 05:39:27 PM »
So who are his minions on Scoop?

Not going to go there. Not looking for fights, probably said to much already.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #131 on: June 25, 2020, 05:56:26 PM »

Grifters gonna grift, whether they're on the right or left.

I hadn't watched MSNBC or CNN in years until the virus struck, but I haven't seen Sharpton's show since I still have to work full time.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #132 on: June 25, 2020, 06:46:56 PM »
Rocket, I apologize for name calling, you are correct that I should be above that and I don't condone it.   

I'll ban myself for the rest of the day.

You da man rock!  Accepted!
don't...don't don't don't don't

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #133 on: June 25, 2020, 06:48:43 PM »
I don't "hate" Al Sharpton, but I'm no fan. He has a long history of anti-Semitism, for one thing. And he often has knee-jerk reactions to things. I have never watched even one second of his MSNBC show, nor do I see why I ever would. I have heard him interviewed; I've liked some things he's said and disliked others. He is passionate about trying to curtail systemic racism.

He and Reverend Jessie Jackson are opportunists who have done little to improve our society.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #134 on: June 25, 2020, 06:50:04 PM »

First, according to one of the mods, it actually has more traffic than any other time in the summer, so it isn't deteriorating fast by any means.

Second, you put "noose" in quotes.  When you do that, you it sounds like you are suggesting it isn't actually a noose.  Above, you made comments about "assuming guilt before innocence" despite the fact that no one had been assumed guilty of anything.  And then you brought up statues.  And that's why you get called out on things.  You often devolve into a series of talking points.  That's not "civil conversation."  That's being a parrot. 

The fact that it was a noose is not a dispute.  It was a noose.  The motivations behind whomever tied the noose, and whether or not he/she undersood why it was a problem is the question.  And I think everyone is relieved that it wasn't directed specifically at Wallace.

Traffic and deterioration are tree different tings eynahhh?
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU82

• All American
« Reply #135 on: June 25, 2020, 07:52:38 PM »

He and Reverend Jessie Jackson are opportunists who have done little to improve our society.

I'll take your word for it. I don't follow either of them closely enough to know.

• All American
« Reply #136 on: June 25, 2020, 07:57:56 PM »

Yeah honestly I think the theme for both of them the last thirty years has been “opportunistic.”
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #137 on: June 26, 2020, 06:53:39 AM »

Yeah honestly I think the theme for both of them the last thirty years has been “opportunistic.”

That or exploitation artists
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #138 on: June 26, 2020, 07:08:54 AM »
The Sons of Confederate Veterans say they were responsible for flying the Defund NASCAR banner, and their racist flag, over the race track. In a defiant, bloviating, lie-filled statement, their leader sounded like the uninformed racist he is.

https://www.columbiadailyherald.com/news/20200623/columbia-based-confederate-group-says-it-authorized-defund-nascar-banner-over-talladega-race-track

The Sons of Confederate Veterans says they were responsible for the “DEFUND NASCAR” Confederate banner that flew over the Talladega Superspeedway on Sunday.

The Columbia-based group hired a small airplane to pass over the track before the race, which was postponed Sunday and completed Monday. NASCAR banned Confederate flags from its events last week at the request of driver Bubba Wallace, who is Black.

“NASCAR’s banning the display of the Confederate battle flag by its fans is nothing less than trampling upon Southerners’ First Amendment Right of free expression,” Sons of Confederate Veterans Commander in Chief Paul C. Gramling Jr. said. “This un-American act shall not go unchallenged. [On Sunday], members of the Sons of Confederate Veterans’ Confederate Air Force displayed its disapproval of NASCAR’s trampling upon the First Amendment Rights of Southerners. During and before the start of the NASCAR race in Talladega, Alabama, race, our plane flew a banner announcing a drive to ‘defund NASCAR.’

“It is the hope of the Sons of Confederate Veterans that NASCAR fans will be allowed the fundamental American right of displaying pride in their family and heritage. The Sons of Confederate Veterans is proud of the diversity of the Confederate military and our modern Southland. We believe NASCAR’s slandering of our Southern heritage only further divides our nation. The Sons of Confederate Veterans will continue to defend not only our right but the Right of all Americans to celebrate their heritage. We trust NASCAR will do the same.”

NASCAR did not acknowledge the plane or the banner. Executive vice president Steve O’Donnell tweeted a picture Sunday of Black and White hands shaking: “You won’t see a photo of a jackass flying a flag over the track here ... but you will see this ... Hope EVERYONE enjoys the race today.”

Signs prohibiting Confederate flags were posted outside entrances at Talladega Superspeedway before the GEICO 500. It was the second NASCAR race to allow spectators in wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. Tickets were limited to 5,000 pre-selected fans.

Gramling said the flyover was paid for by the group’s private donors. He said the decision harks back to 20 years ago, when the group flew over Chattanooga with protest messages when it had trouble hanging the flag in the city during conventions.

“What NASCAR did was a slap in the face to fans who made the sport what it is,” Gramling said. “They don’t know how upset they’ve made people with this decision. I really don’t care what NASCAR thinks about what we did. It’s the least of my concerns.”

The group might fly the banner over more NASCAR venues this season. Gramling said supporters loved the idea and reacted with excitement after watching it on television.

“We’ve had quite a bit of reaction,” Gramling said. “It’s been very well received by everyone except NASCAR. This is the hottest, quickest thing we’ve done to raise awareness of flag issues and to get a strong reaction in quite a while.”

Yep, it's been well received by "everyone" ... except the vast majority of Americans.

This highly intelligent southern gentleman has absolutely no clue what the First Amendment says. He has no more of a "right" to bring confederate flags into a racetrack facility than he does showing up naked.

He does have the right to be a racist, however ... and from the sound of it, he freely exercises that right every day.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #139 on: June 26, 2020, 07:55:27 AM »
I'm starting to believe this was all planned by Nascar. The flags, the noose, the banners..

I've heard more about Nascar in the last 2 weeks then my previous 25 years.

• All American
« Reply #140 on: June 26, 2020, 08:11:19 AM »
I'm starting to believe this was all planned by Nascar. The flags, the noose, the banners..

So you think they planned this from last fall by putting a noose rope in a garage then assinging Bubba Wallace to that garage so they would have a reason to get rid of their Confederate flags and highlight their diversity?

I mean...teal???

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #141 on: June 26, 2020, 08:21:47 AM »

I doubt they planned it, but I'd be on board with them dragging the story out for PR reasons.  Never let a crisis go to waste.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #142 on: June 26, 2020, 09:04:52 AM »

I mean...teal???

I guess I should have realized scoop has a hard time without teal  :'(