[Today at 04:39:02 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: So who is going to Disney World?  (Read 7351 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: So who is going to Disney World?
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2020, 10:30:53 AM »
I've been with the family to Magic Kingdom twice.  Two one-day visits.
Took a split day visit one trip to Animal Kingdom & Epcot.
My kids were always more interested in Harry Potter World at Universal and hanging at the pool at the Hilton Resort than Disney.

I've eaten at the Japanese Restaurant in Disney.  The food was excellent and Japanese shop had many unique items, but it's a lot less expensive to go to a very good Japanese Restaurant in NYC and then visit the Muji store.

Oh totally.  But then I'd have to fly to NYC for dinner. :-P  The newest Japanese restaurant at EPCOT only opened late last year.  I think they will have problems because they are extremely pricey.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2020, 10:56:37 AM »
I haven't been back since 1976, Space Mt. was brand new since I was previously there.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2020, 11:36:32 AM »
I've been with the family to Magic Kingdom twice.  Two one-day visits.
Took a split day visit one trip to Animal Kingdom & Epcot.
My kids were always more interested in Harry Potter World at Universal and hanging at the pool at the Hilton Resort than Disney.

I've eaten at the Japanese Restaurant in Disney.  The food was excellent and Japanese shop had many unique items, but it's a lot less expensive to go to a very good Japanese Restaurant in NYC and then visit the Muji store.
IMO, that is the problem, right there. In order to truly get the best experience, you should stay the week. Hit the Magic Kingdom in the a.m. with little lines, spend time at the hotel pool during the noon hours, Late afternoon go back to one of the parks (Epcot) or whichever has the Extra Magic Hours. No stressing about making sure you check all of the boxes.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2020, 12:37:40 PM »
IMO, that is the problem, right there. In order to truly get the best experience, you should stay the week. Hit the Magic Kingdom in the a.m. with little lines, spend time at the hotel pool during the noon hours, Late afternoon go back to one of the parks (Epcot) or whichever has the Extra Magic Hours. No stressing about making sure you check all of the boxes.

The one-day visit was way more than enough.  Reluctantly decided to go last summer for the second.
Last summer we were there to see the ceremony opening, got on Space Mountain with no wait and then had long waits even with Fastpass on the few other things we wanted to go on.  My kids (and my wife and I) are not Disney people at all.  After we left for the day, my kids said we're done with Disney anything for quite awhile.

Three years ago we went to Universal at opening and had less than 5 minute waits on all rides and made it through the Harry Potter ride, the Hypogryph, Jurassic Park, King Kong and Spiderman rides and one other thing (Atlantis?).  We were done in like 2-2.5 hrs.  My wife with her motion sickness went to the Tanger outlet mall.  Funnest day in Orlando due to no waits.

Orlando is so cheap in the summertime and is a relatively easy drive from Connecticut.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2020, 12:54:06 PM »
The one-day visit was way more than enough.  Reluctantly decided to go last summer for the second.
Last summer we were there to see the ceremony opening, got on Space Mountain with no wait and then had long waits even with Fastpass on the few other things we wanted to go on.  My kids (and my wife and I) are not Disney people at all.  After we left for the day, my kids said we're done with Disney anything for quite awhile.

Three years ago we went to Universal at opening and had less than 5 minute waits on all rides and made it through the Harry Potter ride, the Hypogryph, Jurassic Park, King Kong and Spiderman rides and one other thing (Atlantis?).  We were done in like 2-2.5 hrs.  My wife with her motion sickness went to the Tanger outlet mall.  Funnest day in Orlando due to no waits.

Orlando is so cheap in the summertime and is a relatively easy drive from Connecticut.

Summertime is the busiest part of the year as for Disney (especially MK).  Magic Kingdom is for kids, the other parks are all more accessible for adults.  As in, they all serve booze. :)

Sounds like you guys also only hit one half of Universal... the Island of Adventures side.  Which is by far the better park.  Universal Studios old park is still okay... but if we're talking money, US/IofA is WAY more expensive to go for the day. 

Everyone likes different things, but the other Disney parks are much much better.  I'm never super excited when my wife wants to spend the day in MK... I enjoy a couple of rides there (Splash Mountain and Haunted Mansion) but give me Soarin' at EPCOT or Expedition Everest at Animal Kingdom.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2020, 01:30:55 PM »

You misused your fast pass and didn't utilize the data-driven real-time apps for ride timing.

Went with the family last November. Averaged 10+ rides per park/per day. No more than a 15 minute wait at any right (except millennium falcon)

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2020, 01:39:24 PM »
Everyone likes different things, but the other Disney parks are much much better.  I'm never super excited when my wife wants to spend the day in MK... I enjoy a couple of rides there (Splash Mountain and Haunted Mansion) but give me Soarin' at EPCOT or Expedition Everest at Animal Kingdom.

Best way for MK is with the Park Hopper. My GF and I went for the morning with the family and kids, did some rides, then went over to Epcot. 2 days later, went back after a rainstorm and hit the rides we didn’t get a chance to go on cause of lines. MK is just such an amazing nostalgia bomb for an 80s/90s kid. But it can be A LOT for a full day.

You misused your fast pass and didn't utilize the data-driven real-time apps for ride timing.

Went with the family last November. Averaged 10+ rides per park/per day. No more than a 15 minute wait at any right (except millennium falcon)

Yep. The resources are incredible. The only ride we couldn’t avoid a long line on was the new Avatar ride at Animal Kingdom. When we went, Fast Pass was sold out for it. We LITERALLY arrived as the park opened, and still waited almost 90 min. But my GF’s stoic Israeli BIL raved about it so profusely, we had to do it. While we were on the ride, some rain started, shutting down Everest. But walking by, we saw some empty cars going and ended up milling around for 5 min and getting on without a line. So that was a nice two-fer.

Soarin is fun, but not worth the insane waits it can get up to.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2020, 01:54:49 PM »

Lawdog sounds like a disney vet.  That is the perfect way to do it.  5 day trip is the minimum I will stay.  If you try to do anything less and try to do it all then it gets crazy.  The people who are not prepared for a disney trip always come back disappointed.  Have to plan ahead and then the trip is relaxing and enjoyable

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2020, 04:00:08 PM »
Best way for MK is with the Park Hopper. My GF and I went for the morning with the family and kids, did some rides, then went over to Epcot. 2 days later, went back after a rainstorm and hit the rides we didn’t get a chance to go on cause of lines. MK is just such an amazing nostalgia bomb for an 80s/90s kid. But it can be A LOT for a full day.

Yep. The resources are incredible. The only ride we couldn’t avoid a long line on was the new Avatar ride at Animal Kingdom. When we went, Fast Pass was sold out for it. We LITERALLY arrived as the park opened, and still waited almost 90 min. But my GF’s stoic Israeli BIL raved about it so profusely, we had to do it. While we were on the ride, some rain started, shutting down Everest. But walking by, we saw some empty cars going and ended up milling around for 5 min and getting on without a line. So that was a nice two-fer.

Soarin is fun, but not worth the insane waits it can get up to.

MK is a nostalgia bomb, but it just drains me compared to the other parks.  I did forget to mention the Avatar ride.  Its flipping amazing.  The wait is AWFUL though, and even with a FP its a long long wait.  Again, I won't do anything over 45 minutes, so we caught it just as the park was closing down.

We also never go with less than a 5 day stay.  Additionally, once you travel between parks using the gondolas you will never want to use the wretched bus system.  Next time we go, we will probably pick one of the hotels that is on the line.  They're that amazing.  If they'd extended the hours and expanded the lines, they could remove the buses and save loads on fuel and drivers.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2020, 04:09:04 PM »
MK is a nostalgia bomb, but it just drains me compared to the other parks.  I did forget to mention the Avatar ride.  Its flipping amazing.  The wait is AWFUL though, and even with a FP its a long long wait.  Again, I won't do anything over 45 minutes, so we caught it just as the park was closing down.

We also never go with less than a 5 day stay.  Additionally, once you travel between parks using the gondolas you will never want to use the wretched bus system.  Next time we go, we will probably pick one of the hotels that is on the line.  They're that amazing.  If they'd extended the hours and expanded the lines, they could remove the buses and save loads on fuel and drivers.

They are developing the monorail/mini-monorail to pick up at all the resorts.  Will take them like 15 years to finish, I think, but the plan is the eliminate the buses.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2020, 05:03:55 PM »
Hmmm...Funny, but I had you pegged as more of a Disneyland guy rather than a Disney World man.

They both sound like mickey mouse operations to me.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

tower912

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2020, 05:10:32 PM »
Let it go.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2020, 05:58:55 PM »

the skyline system is awesome. We usually stay at the Grand Floridian, but the last time we stayed at the Pop Century, which is right on the skyline
 Incredibly convenient and peaceful when you have your own gondola.

MUWarriors

• Walk-On
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2020, 10:53:49 AM »
Was supposed to be there in May to Celebrate our 20th Wedding Anniversary (we were married in Disney 20 years ago), had a catered party for family and friends scheduled for a night in EPCOT for their new firework show.  We moved the reservations to December, no more party.  We did get our deposit back for the party, so I guess there is that!

We don't have kids and have always done "Disney for Adults".  We are foodies and have done the Food and Wine Festival, and there are some awesome restaurants in the resorts.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2020, 09:31:09 AM »
If anyone is going, I will share what was my best practice.  If flying in, pass on the shuttle and take a limo to Disney. Have the driver make a stop at a grocery store to stock up on food and booze for the room. The limo cost is only slightly higher and this way you can save a significant amount of money on food and beverage.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2020, 09:50:24 AM »
If anyone is going, I will share what was my best practice.  If flying in, pass on the shuttle and take a limo to Disney. Have the driver make a stop at a grocery store to stock up on food and booze for the room. The limo cost is only slightly higher and this way you can save a significant amount of money on food and beverage.

Free Amazon grocery delivery to any Disney hotel

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2020, 10:38:48 AM »

Better yet, stay off-property and rent a car. They are super cheap in Florida, and you won't be held captive by The Mouse for the entire week.
Have some patience, FFS.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2020, 11:22:29 AM »
Better yet, stay off-property and rent a car. They are super cheap in Florida, and you won't be held captive by The Mouse for the entire week.

For Disney, yes. And usually a great deal. More space for less $$.
Last I heard you had to stay at a a Universal hotel to get admittance to their parks . That may have or will be changing though.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2020, 10:57:42 AM »

No reason to leave.  Orlando isn't exactly a beautiful city.  And if you want to leave there are a ton of transit options.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2020, 12:23:37 PM »
The NBA is.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter