[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: DIY when fixing a house?  (Read 20214 times)

reinko

• All American
Re: DIY when fixing a house?
« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2020, 03:23:17 PM »
I picked up the Milwaukee trimmer, because it came with an edger attachment. I’ve got concrete ribbons down my driveway and I want that grass to be crispy looking at the concrete.

Super impressed with the edger and the trimmer. I gave my trusty Echo to my father. Order the pole saw attachment, super badass. Leaf blower may be next...

it's fathers day on Sunday PTM, gift the old man your new trimmer

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #76 on: June 17, 2020, 04:13:01 PM »
I'll lobby for the village to allow them at the next virtual town hall

Ah, a true Welshman I see.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #77 on: June 17, 2020, 04:42:54 PM »
I guess that's a friendly way to shame people.  Maybe it's a midwest faux uppity thing "oh, you mow your own lawn - you must be poor!"  I also know my job pays better than most but
1) I was raised in a family where you should know how to fix things yourself - and you're lazy if you can't figure out how to fix your own toilet
2) I'm a natural saver and cheap ass
3) I generally enjoy it.  Manual labor is simple to me, and a chance to clear my mind from programming.
4) There's a huge overlap people with good jobs and those with the intellectual curiosity to DIY

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2020, 05:00:45 PM »
4) There's a huge overlap people with good jobs and those with the intellectual curiosity to DIY

For me, if I know its going to require a lot of blood, sweat, and tears and I can't learn how to do it in an hour from videos online... then I'm calling an expert.

Also, I don't mess with electricity outside of replacing a light fixture.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2020, 10:05:54 PM »
it's fathers day on Sunday PTM, gift the old man your new trimmer

And break the tradition of two cases of beer every Father’s Day?

That Echo is as good as new. Rebuilt carb, starts on one pull and has the upgraded easy feed head. It’s a Rolls Royce.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2020, 10:45:58 AM »
Thinking of building a bar. Anyone done this? Wouldn't add sink. But probably would convert my mini fridge into a kegerator (which if anyone has done I'd also appreciate tips)
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2020, 11:49:36 AM »
Thinking of building a bar. Anyone done this? Wouldn't add sink. But probably would convert my mini fridge into a kegerator (which if anyone has done I'd also appreciate tips)

My father is in the process of building us one right now.  Taking him forever... but the result on the back bar area is... nothing short of amazing.  Leaded stained glass, black walnut with cherry accents...  gorgeous.

Next section will have a sink, and then the front bar with a couple of minifridges, and my kegerator in the center.  Can't wait for it to be finished, but I'm sure glad I'm not the one creating it.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2020, 12:26:15 PM »

Currently making a concrete bar top.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2020, 03:39:36 PM »
I'm guessing these people don't want DIY to fix this problem in the house they were just moving into.

Person rescued after falling through floor, into deep well inside historic Guilford home

https://www.wtnh.com/news/connecticut/new-haven/person-rescued-after-falling-through-floor-into-deep-well-inside-historic-guilford-home/

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2020, 01:55:22 PM »
Water tank just went. Anybody want to chime in on whether to go tankless or stick with a classic one?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #85 on: December 21, 2020, 01:58:24 PM »
Water tank just went. Anybody want to chime in on whether to go tankless or stick with a classic one?

Depends on how many bathrooms you have.  Tankless requires one for each, IIRC.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2020, 02:14:11 PM »

Damn really? I have two full and am planning on adding a third when I convert the attic to a proper 2nd floor. No chance I'm dropping the $$ for three tankless heaters.
Maigh Eo for Sam

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #87 on: December 21, 2020, 02:17:31 PM »

Not true at all - as least for gas.  They're rated by how many gallons per minute they can heat (from a base temp of 40f I think).  I know of 4br/4ba houses with a single one in the absement.

I paid to have a rinnai put in a small (1br 1ba) house back in 2005 - still going strong and endless hot water is awesome.

They do make smaller electric units that can go under each sink - which is probably what you've seen.

Edit: though in my current house I've got an electric tank water heater - and the new electric heat pump hybrid tank heaters are basically as efficient (annual cost wise) as tankless.  So, I'm with all local promotions to remove inefficient water heaters I'm having one installed next week for only $800 (!!!), save a couple hundred in electric every year, and then I'll get a $300 federal tax credit for doing it.  w00t! 
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 02:21:51 PM by rocky_warrior »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #88 on: December 21, 2020, 02:38:47 PM »
Not true at all - as least for gas.  They're rated by how many gallons per minute they can heat (from a base temp of 40f I think).  I know of 4br/4ba houses with a single one in the absement.

I paid to have a rinnai put in a small (1br 1ba) house back in 2005 - still going strong and endless hot water is awesome.

They do make smaller electric units that can go under each sink - which is probably what you've seen.

Edit: though in my current house I've got an electric tank water heater - and the new electric heat pump hybrid tank heaters are basically as efficient (annual cost wise) as tankless.  So, I'm with all local promotions to remove inefficient water heaters I'm having one installed next week for only $800 (!!!), save a couple hundred in electric every year, and then I'll get a $300 federal tax credit for doing it.  w00t!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2020, 06:57:53 PM »
Tankless is the way. Worth it.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #90 on: December 21, 2020, 07:04:09 PM »
I'm in the market for a new water heater too .. mine is 16 years old and I figured I should do some prevent defense.

I decided against tankless because of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRUgFmBaSCM

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #91 on: December 22, 2020, 11:31:20 AM »
This is a stupid question, but .. who installs water heaters?

I remember doing this 16 years ago, and I used the yellow pages (really) and looked up Water Heater Installation.

Is it just .. call up any plumber?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #92 on: December 22, 2020, 11:33:21 AM »

I remember doing this 16 years ago, and I used the yellow pages (really) and looked up Water Heater Installation.

Yep, any plumber will do.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #93 on: December 22, 2020, 11:40:39 AM »

Some HVAC guys do them and may be cheaper than plumbers.
Maigh Eo for Sam

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #94 on: December 22, 2020, 11:56:01 AM »
Yep, any plumber will do.

Yup, and depending on the connections you've got to your current one, even a hanyman might do it (if you already have a flex gas line and "modern" hot/cold hoses).  I'd call around to a few plumbers - ideally they have a set installation price (say $300) and they'll either sell you a water heater or you can get one from home depot and they'll install it.  Just make sure they haul away the old one!

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2021, 06:02:37 PM »
After months of waiting for wood prices to finally go down I bit the bullet and bought 25 Guage steel.

About 3.62 for an 8 footer so not to bad.

Overall spent 1000 on drywall, metal studs, track, and insulation. Just laid out the top and bottom track throughout the basement.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2021, 06:12:30 PM »
Just finished removing a load bearing wall in my basement and replaced with three 16’ LVL beams. Took a good bit longer than I had figured ahead of time to fully demo old wall but overall it was not that complicated of a process. I did hire a structural engineer to come by, look at the wall and provide in writing exactly what was needed.

Basement is now one extremely large room. Will make an excellent TV room with a large bar.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2021, 06:14:38 PM »
Just finished removing a load bearing wall in my basement and replaced with three 16’ LVL beams. Took a good bit longer than I had figured ahead of time to fully demo old wall but overall it was not that complicated of a process. I did hire a structural engineer to come by, look at the wall and provide in writing exactly what was needed.

Basement is now one extremely large room. Will make an excellent TV room with a large bar.

I've got 5 metal poles that run through the middle of the basement that are the only blight on my design. Thought of doing much the same.

How much did it end up being overall?

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2021, 06:19:15 PM »
The engineer charged me $450 for the site visit and instructions. The beams were ~$400 delivered from Lowe’s. Lumber for temporary wall was probably $200 and will be repurposed for other framing. Other supplies like joist hangers and post bases and caps were another $100 or so.

This wall was only loaded on one side so it was much more straightforward than a wall loaded on both sides.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #99 on: January 20, 2021, 02:12:25 PM »
Would you rather have something that's very likely asbestos tested and removed or better to be ignorant, remove it yourself saving thousands and have the mindset that it's a one time job so maybe you don't get mesothelioma?
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback